Dynamic Advertising with After Effects, Flash & Mocha

I was in New York last week for the Promax|BDA conference, where I delivered a couple presentations about After Effects and Production Premium CS4. A couple people have inquired about seeing a recording of the presentations. I don’t think there were any recordings of my sessions, but one of them was quite similar to a presentation I have at the 2008 Adobe MAX conference last fall.

The point of the session was to show how you can use Adobe software to create a new kind of video experience where the advertisements or user generated content can be deeply integrated into the video. Instead of rendering the ads into the video, they remain fully dynamic and replaceable at runtime, when the end viewer is watching. The workflow spans several products: After Effects, Flash professional and Mocha for After Effects, which is included with After Effects CS4. It’s also a good illustration of how metadata workflows can literally change what’s possible in content creation.If you’d like to see the recording, you can check it out on Adobe TV:After Effects & Flash Dream team (Mocha, After Effects & Flash)Enjoy!

11 Responses to Dynamic Advertising with After Effects, Flash & Mocha

1. Anonymous says:

Hey there…just wondering if you were still planning on posting the source from the presentation last fall.I’ve gone through the video and matching your techniques, but the code taken down from the video keeps throwing type/compile-time errors.FANTASTIC presentation by the way.Thanks.

2. john leigh London, UK says:

Hi Michael,Cant believe I only just got to see this demonstration and its a fantastic eye opening and ideas inspiring topic.I searched everywhere to locate the source files to help better understand the actionscript thats going on under the hood and they dont seem to have been added to the blog – is there a url elsewhere we could download the source files?many thanks again for the great demonstration

3. john leigh says:

hidoes anyone know if the source files are available somewhere – They are mentioned in the video but looks like never placed on this ssite – the actioncript shown in the MAX2008 video does not work as ismany thanks

4. Jakob says:

I’m trying to do something similar in CS3. I can track the point in AE and export them to flash. I can place a picture using the top left corner, but I cannot use the data from the other corners. I can only resize and rotate. Can I use date from all four corners in CS3 and if yes – how?

5. Andre says:

Hi,I really like your presentation and how we can manage to use Mocha and AfterEffects to track video and then change the content dynamically. However, I had problems using the Actionscript provided in the video.I’m sure that I have copied the script as is, but it continually showing error :1136: Incorrect number of arguments. Expected 0 in line 67 and 69Where line 67 and 69 is:var advertisement1:ImageLoader=new ImageLoader(“wallpaper1_240x320.jpg”);If I remove the file name, the video will works, but not displaying the bitmap file of course, because the reference there is removed.Is there a source file or samples that I can download? Any help will be very much appreciated!Thanks

6. Ash Whiting says:

HiNice tutorial this. Trouble is it’s of absolutely no use to any of us without the missing .as files. (ImageLoader.as) and (preferences.as)I’d really appreciate it if you could post the source to this tutorial up somewhere as I’d really like to explore what you are doing here.I’m more of an After Effects person than a Flash person so not great with scripting.PLEASE post the source… Lots of us want it.

7. Ash Whiting says:

Trouble is, there are external .as files which he doesn’t include in the tutorial, thats why the errors..I hope he will post the source soon as this is really interesting stuff, but of no use if we can’t play with it 😉

8. Andi says:

Hi Michael,is it possible to get the source for some student projects?Thank you!Andi

9. Ben says:

Please please please 🙂 Can haz sauce?

10. andrew says:

Hi Michael, are you going to share the source anytime?
    cheers,