Every Friday at 4 pm, the After Effects development team has a casual gathering in our video studio to close out the week. It’s all about unwinding from a busy week, viewing customer demo reels, or chit-chatting about the future of After Effects. Of course, it almost always involves a couple bottles of wine. These Friday “wine downs” (as they’ve become known) are one of our team’s oldest traditions.
This week we’re going to try something different. I’m going to publish a phone number that will let you call into our Friday wine down.
Anyone can call and there is no agenda. We just want to invite you to share some time with us. You can ask us questions, tell us about something cool you’re working on or urge us to go in a certain direction, pitch your favorite feature — whatever. We may even have a few questions for you.Big companies tend to create a lot of barriers between themselves and their customers. This is an experiment in breaking down a few barriers and being more open. When I proposed this idea, more than one person said I was nuts. “You’ll get crazy people calling to rant about pixel aspect ratios”, I was warned. So be it. We may get some of that. But I’m hoping that we’ll also have some cool conversations and meet some interesting people. I’m sure we’ll learn a thing or two.Now, for some practical issues:
- This starts at 4:00 pm and ends at 5:00 pm, US Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -7 hours).
- We can only take one call at a time, and because we only have an hour, we don’t want the calls to take too long (maybe 5 minutes each?). Also there is no cuing system, if you get voicemail, you’ll just have to call back. Pretend it’s a radio show.
- You’ll be on a speaker phone, talking to a group of real people who make After Effects — product management, engineering, quality engineering, marketing & technical writers.
- If you are an angry, bitter person with an axe to grind, don’t bother to call, we’ll probably hang up on you.
- This is the After Effects team and although we are full of opinions, we’re not necessarily experts in Flash, Acrobat, Photoshop or InDesign.
- This may be a one time deal. We’ll see how it goes. The phone number will allow you to leave a message any time, but we’re not going to be able to return calls or answer this line except during times that we announce, and we can’t promise to do this every week.
I’ll post the telephone number on this page tomorrow. If you want to be notified when the number is posted, you can follow me on twitter: my twitter ID is motiongfx.So grab your phone and a glass of wine and give us a ring![Update — Here’s the number. +1 (775) AFTERFX, or + 1 (775) 238-3739. — MC ]