The future of After Effects is 64-bit native

I’ve spoken here several times about how running After Effects on a 64-bit OS with plenty of RAM offers the best performance available today. In fact, it’s been several years since After Effects and other Adobe video and audio software started supporting 64-bit operating systems. Along the way, it has been an incremental process to take advantage of what the 64-bit computers have to offer.

At the same time, we’ve seen a huge increase in what you’re asking from your software. These days HD is the norm and SD is just a legacy delivery format. And you’re not likely to stop there. You are probably wondering how to build efficient workflows with 4K images like those from the Red camera. 4K is 35 times the resolution of SD. Yes, you will need more from your software in order to answer this call.

Today we are announcing that the next version of Adobe After Effects will be a native 64-bit application. This news represents a huge step forward and will provide unprecedented advantages to just about anyone who uses After Effects today. It’s going to be a must-have release.

Let’s back up a bit because the term “64-bit” is a bit of a tech buzzword. What does 64-bit really mean to After Effects users? In a nutshell, After Effects will be able to take advantage of all the RAM that your operating system allows.

RAM, shmam. Why do you really care about a native 64-bit After Effects?

First, you get the ability to render heavier comps. I’m talking about high resolutions and tons of layers. These are the projects that put the hurt on previous versions of After Effects. If you currently get out-of-memory and errors, this one is for you.

Second, you’ll be able to have longer ram previews. Imagine being able to fit a full HD 30-second spot into your RAM preview cache. Your green bars will be much much longer.

Third, you’ll be able to work more efficiently with floating point color. Floating point color (aka 32-bit color) requires 4 times the RAM compared to 8-bit color, so working with over-range or HDR imagery will be improved.

Fourth, the green bars you see on the timeline are the visible part of our sophisticated RAM caching technology. With access to larger amounts of RAM, After Effects can store more intermediate renders in its caching system. This means that items re-render or load from disk less often.

It’s way too early for rendering speed benchmarks, but I’m thrilled with the possibilities of a 64-bit native After Effects.

So why am I telling you this today?

In order to bring you these advancements, we’ve had to focus on 64-bit conversion in lieu of continuing to invest in 32-bit support. This means that after 3 versions of supporting both 64- and 32-bit, the next version of After Effects will only support 64-bit operating systems.

Virtually all of Apple’s Intel-based Mac systems support 64-bit applications, and Windows users should choose a 64-bit version of Windows to take advantage of the hardware capabilities. You’ll probably want to toss some extra RAM in your machine, too. With prices dipping below $25 per GB, it’s getting pretty cheap to max out your system RAM.

We realize that new system requirements may require some preparation on your part. We want you to be ready and so we’ve taken the extraordinary step of announcing this news much earlier than usual.

We’re not announcing a ship date yet, and there is more on this subject on Adobe’s blog at Pro Video Coalition. We have also posted an official FAQ is available on the Adobe web.

Oh, and by the way, 64-bit native is coming to Premiere Pro, too!

I would love to tell you about the other cool things in the release, but I don’t want to ruin all the fun! Besides, you’ll just hate me because you can’t have it today. 🙂

59 Responses to The future of After Effects is 64-bit native

1. Will Summers says:

Can we get rid of RAM previews? My RAID disk is fast enough to playback HD uncompressed video. I’ve got 4TB of super fast disk space but even if I max out my RAM I can only get 32GB. We need some kind of smart caching system like an adjustment layer that will automatically cache everything below it without having to precomp and set file names and compression settings. I want a one click cache system.This might be my number 1 gripe about after effects.

2. This is very exciting news as I have been running AE on 64-bit XP since CS3. And it is my prayer nightly for the dreaded “cannot create image buffer” bug to finally be gone when working with large bitmaps and layers in 4k and 8k rez, 32-bit color.Can’t wait to run AE CS5 on 64-bit Windows 7. Let the RAM buying commence.

3. Colin Davis says:

Let’s hope that a 64bit re-write will help with crashes. Honestly, I’d settle for an AE that didn’t crash on a regular basis. Really. If the next version of AE had no more features, just crashed 75% less, I’d gladly upgrade.

4. Or how about a little tick box on each layer that will cache the layer and keep it how it is unless you make a particular change to that layer.So for instance, if you tick a layer such as a text layer it wont reload it unless it is directly altered. Maybe that wouldn’t work, I dont know.

5. Thomas says:

[I would love to tell you about the other cool things in the release, but I don’t want to ruin all the fun! Besides, you’ll just hate me because you can’t have it today. :-)]i don’t hate you, but i mad that you are still talking about RAM cache and green bars.According to Will Summers post, it’s absolutely true AND a joke that Ae needs (and still will nedd) RAM caching for previewing a single video stream without any motion, effects or filters applied.Thats my RANT No1Hopefully you guys had some enlightning friday chit-chats with your randomly picked users.i can’t wait seeing long awaited feature request implemented INSTEAD of new features.I love MY software and i will fight for MY software!

6. Jordan Nash says:

It’s about time! CS4 should be have been totally native 64bit, but all we got out of it was a 64bit version of Photoshop.I would hate to think that Adobe was planning on putting out another 32bit release… that would just be pathetic.

7. Patrick says:

Great news! ETA on CS5?

8. Jeff Bernstein says:

None of the FAQs or whitepapers make the case for the speed differencebetween AE CS3 on Tiger and Leopard, and CS4 on Tiger and Leopard. AE,from what we’ve seen, works the same on Tiger and Leopard as long asyou have about 16GBs of RAM on an 8-core system.If I am wrong, someone please enlighten me.As others have alluded to, Michael, PLEASE allow for Disk Caching tooptionally replace RAM Caching similar to the good ol’ Echo Fire. CPUsthat run 800MHz RAM on Intel Macs, for instance, don’t have enoughMemory Bandwidth to sustain HD RAM Previews, but a disk-based solutiondoes. Moreover, even at 16GBs, RAM is way more finite than hard disk.With hard disks speeds where they are, this should already be a featureof After Effects.Respectfully,Jeff Bernstein[ I don’t think I’ve noticed any difference when comparing After Effects performance on Tiger vs. Leopard, either. I wouldn’t expect it to be different.64-bit allows caches to be bigger, not faster. The performance increases will be seen in situations where previously RAM was limited. I’m surprised to hear that you have a system that plays back uncompressed video from disk faster than from RAM. I’d be curious to know which system that is. I have a MacBook Pro that plays back HD ram previews just fine, FWIW. Once we have the full 64-bit architecture in place, we can continue with other improvements like more disk cashing. Can’t do it all at the same time. Believe me, I wish we could. — MC]

9. Anonymously Comment says:

Will I have to buy another round of plug in updates again? (Mac os 9 to Mac os 10 ppc to Mac os 10 intel and now Mac os 10 intel 64 bit???) If that is the case, they need to reconsider an all a 32 bit option! Or do you take a cut of all the upgrade costs? 🙂 Also, I have read the comments about just making it more stable and not adding features but Nuke is not just sitting on their thumb and working on being more stable – each release brings new features. You need to be both more stable and add new features. Adobe made a financial killing from us users and it is time for Adobe to start giving back in stability and features.[The transition to 64-bit is a huge undertaking for us and it has a big payoff. After Effects will be more stable and be a better platform for building great features. I can’t talk about it yet, but the next version will also have one of my favorite features in the history of After Effects. So, I think we have your interests at heart. We want the same things.We would also prefer to keep the 32-bit option, but it was not possible to do keep it while making significant progress on performance, stability and features. Welcome to the tradeoffs and the tough decisions that my job entails. In our situation, I think you’d come to the same conclusion.I can’t speak for individual plug-in developers, but I can tell you that for some it will be relatively easy to convert to 64-bit and for some it will be considerable work. Either way, you are correct — 32-bit plug-ins will not run in the next version of After Effects. — MC]

10. Frank R says:

I’ll have to agree with most of the people regarding the caching. Will Summers had it right. I nudge a text layer one pixel over, and AE throws fits and re-renders every layer layer and precomp. Now if those precomps have 20+ layers and more precomps inside of those, well… “realtime” is just not feasible in AE. A RAID’d sata configuration can easily handle the previewing.While I’m at it, “Render in Background” anyone? Since 3.1 you had to render your project and walk away, not allowing to keep working on the ‘deadline was yesterday’ project.Seriously? Multi-threaded CPU’s, gigs of RAM, Terabytes of harddrives, and we still have to deal with this? C’mon Adobe…get it together.

11. Jeff Bernstein says:

Mac Pros that utilize 667MHz RAM have issues playing back at full frame rate. This would be for 1920×1080 29.97. The situation is even worse when use a PCI capture card and you are using the QTOC at the same time. Again, the ability of using disk over RAM solves 2 problems. Speaking of RAM Preview, any hope of being able to display fields in the RAM Preview. Make that 3 problems Echo Fire solved.Not to sound crass, but will 64-bit make the OpenGL support more stable or usable?Lastly, after going through the hell of the plugin API changes for MacIntel, are we looking at similar hell with this move to 64-bit plug-ins. I don’t know if my clients can stomach that awful transition again. In fact, I know I want to throw up right now just thinking about it. 😎

12. Thomas says:

I’m surprised to hear that you have a system that plays back uncompressed video from disk faster than from RAM. I’d be curious to know which system that is.???Which “system” you are talking about?Operating Systems?Any Application that is made for playing back (at least) one single HD or SD video stream “WITHOUT” RAM caching is out there, even Open Source apps.Video RAIDs are not particulary made for huge storage, the’re mostly used for speeding up reading huge video data.Does Premiere caches particulary into RAM after adding filters? No it does not.Final Cut does not.Avid does not.Sony Vegas does not…. does not.Separating the Video Stream (to/from disk) form effects (from/to RAM) would make better sense than caching both into RAM.A “marriage” inbetween Premiere and After Effects wasn’t suggested only once.More and more tasks require editing and little motion graphics in one row, in the same timeline.Why bother?aaaaahhh… it’s so stupid to conversate this way because it creates so much misunderstandings inbetween both partys (User/Developer).Only one thing to say in the end and i’ll not bother you unless CS5 is installed on my machine ready for testing:Don’t be pissed of my words, rather read them by full.>> I’m tired of lame comments regarding development. So much open source software already passed my daily work and there were great apps i’ve never dreamed of, plus that those apps intended being free apps and work like a charm.there seem to be a great bunch of developer out there who are willed to create world class software, not like Adobe is claiming at any time.I you really want to get forward, better ask or even hire people who have a real ojective view upon After Effects, you know where you find these guys in the http://www.and one thing for the road: if you ever heard about the grand Lloyd Alvarez and it’s AeScripts website, i hope that you’ve donated a HUGE paycheck with an honorable amount of dollars to him and all his contributers.personally, i don’t know if i still kept my job with after effects without all them scripts.I mean Scripts! Those functions should be NATIVELY part of the After Effects arsenal!?sigh

13. Jonathan says:

Michael, this is kind of off topic, but I was wondering if there was ever going to be an update for After Effects to support Nvidia’s GeForce Series 9 graphics cards for Mac OS. I currently have CS3 on a MacBook Pro with an 8 series cards and OpenGL works fine. I was about to upgrade to a new MBP and CS4 but I saw that there is no OpenGL support for series 9 cards in CS4 on the mac. All the current MBP come with the chipset 9400m or the discrete 9600M GT. Am I out of luck for CS4? Should I wait for CS5 or a new graphics card? Thanks. [We have several of the new laptops here at Adobe and we haven’t seen issues with running After Effects CS4 on them. –MC]

14. Chris says:

Just wanted to say thanks for the news – it’s very welcome. Many of the comments here have mentioned fixes in one way or another, and while I understand their frustration and hopes for resolutions or solutions, I’m sure that they welcome the news as well. Hopefully the sour tone doesn’t prevent you from sharing in the future…I greatly appreciate AE and the fact that it has enabled me to earn a living doing something I love. Hopefully you know that for every comment here, there’s a thousand (at least – probably many times more!) that appreciate AE as much as I do.

15. WhiteJewishGuy says:

You guys go 64 bit and I’m dropping my subscription with you guys. This is ridiculous to make it a NATIVE 64 bit program as in I have to be running a 64 bit OS.. stupid. And what about all the AE plug ins that only run in 32-bit? Sheesh, you guys are becoming such dummies over there at Adobe. [You should at least have lunch with me before calling me stupid. You may come to the same conclusion, but at least there would be some reason for it.I gather that you can’t or don’t want to use a 64-bit OS. We understand this is an issue for some customers, but we want to help everyone through it as much as we can. We have supported both 32- and 64-bit operating systems for several years now and to get to the next level of performance we need to pull people forward to 64-bit. We announced this transition early to give our customers and plug-in makers plenty of time to move towards a 64-bit OS. The reality is that if you want the advantages that come with being 64-bit (and virtually everyone does), you’ll need a 64-bit OS. Also, all of the plug-in makers that I have spoken with are planning to make their products 64-bit capable. If you know of any that aren’t, please let me know. — MC]

16. Anson says:

CUDA Rendering support?

17. I tell you what is stupid: it is stupid that there aren’t any 32-bit CPU’s on the market for years, the cheapest 30$ processors are also 64 bit today. So I don’t really understand, why does Microsoft publish a 32-bit version of Windows 7 at all, and why isn’t this 32-to-64 bit transition so smooth as 16-to-32 was 14(!) years ago?There wasn’t any 16 bit version of Windows 95. Of course, there were some compatibility issues because of this, but after a few years we didn’t have any problems with 32 bit applications. Now years passed after the first 64-bit processors were introduced in 2003 (AMD, Apple) and 2004 (Intel) but 64-bit is still a stepchild of the industry. Can someone tell me, why? [If Microsoft only made operating systems for After Effects users, I would agree. But they don’t. They have their own customers and must address a wide variety of needs. So I can’t fault them for it, they just value continuity and legacy support differently than you do. Also, I do not work for Microsoft, so I obviously don’t have all the information that they base their decisions on.In any case, let’s make a new rule around here….no calling people stupid, period. Comments are automatically published here, and I don’t want to moderate the discussion. I don’t have time for it. — MC]

18. ahmed zeeny says:

great news Mr. Michaelwe have been waiting for this step . specially after CS4 ..we really wont to see some more 3d abilitiesbest regards

19. Curtis Hickman says:

The advantages that this change can bring are exciting. A am wondering however how Adobe will address the lack of Apple support for a 64-bit Windows QuickTime. Every studio I work with runs in a QuickTime pipeline. I can’t imagine what this change will do to our established PC-MAC workflows.[Indeed, this presented a challenge for us. But rest assured, QuickTime is critical and After Effects will continue to have the same QuickTime support on Mac OS and Windows. –MC]

20. tom says:

i hope you guys gonna fix the render engine as well… or why does ae cs4 render the same project on the same machine 40% slower as cs3?

21. Mark says:

Hi Michael,It’s great to hear that it’s finally official. While I appreciate Adobe catching up with the current trends and needs of its best customers, this mandate seems a little harsh. I think it would at least be reasonable to release at least one version (CS5) in both 32 and 64-bit flavors. Anyhoo, what’s done is done, and I’m certainly excited for better performance – hopefully this will solve the nightmares of multi-proc rendering.My only other request is a real 3D workspace, and not this “faked” 3D environment. It would be soooo nice to have the equivalent of a Flame bicubic in AE. Then again, I’m sure this would open up another giant can of worms, but it’s certainly inevitable if you guys want to bite some of the market share associated with Nuke.Long live After Effects, and thanks in advance for the performance boost 🙂

22. cemgul says:

All I just want to press spacebar and play 2K footages from disk in true fps.for any other missing features that we have solutions with current tools.thanks.

23. Anonymous says:

“Also, all of the plug-in makers that I have spoken with are planning to make their products 64-bit capable. If you know of any that aren’t, please let me know. — MC”Here’s one, and a huge one at that.http://www.minning.de/journal/my-thoughts-on-after-effects-cs5-being-64-bit-onlyYou are going to destroy pipe lines based off of third-party plugs and most likely drive customers to other alternatives that are natively capable. [ We’re working with Stefan Minning to make this happen. Hopefully he will accept our offer of help. — MC ]

24. Would be nice to pop in a node based architecture, lets say, we could call it “after nodes!” 😉 Well, the 64-bit system is going to help, I have been having those memory crashes for years.

25. Gabriel Gazzán says:

Will CS5 debut a Linux version?It’s about time!!

26. Touko Maksimainen says:

I hope you guys are going to re-write the render engine and not just contend that it will be enough to let people use more RAM to minimize the issues brought forth by the inefficient cache-all non-scanline render engine?[In fact, 64-bit and access to more RAM is a very good way for After Effects to deal with many of the old inefficiencies. This is why the next version is going to be much better at rendering big things. Beyond that, 64-bit is also fundamental to a whole host of other improvements down the road.My question for you is why do you want scan-line rendering? Some older, discontinued compositing applications made a big deal of being scan-line renders but eventually abandoned it for other techniques which are better for real world projects.In any case, if you want big stuff to render better (and I think that’s the spirit behind your request), 64-bit does that. — MC]

27. cal says:

I appreciate the move to native 64bit functionality. Short term it’ll be painful for some but long term it’s the only way to go. 3yrs from now, this decision will such an obvious one. I do hope (like others mentioned) that stability and reliability are at the top of the pile of things to get right.

28. Touko Maksimainen says:

Thanks for your response.Yes, I want big, or rather, HUGE stuff to render better. And 64 bit definitely does that.However, per AE manual the current rendering process is to render every layer into RAM individually and then stacking them from the bottom up to form the final render.Then say you’ve got a very large bitmap (tens of thousands of pixels wide) and you want to get the camera up close and pan it around.Wouldn’t scanline renderer only concern itself with the stuff you see on screen without attempting to put the millions of pixels off-screen into memory?Another example is having HD footage cropped inside a small comp, a couple hundred pixels wide.Would AE cache (or render) the entire full-HD layer? Surely it doesn’t cache layers containing footage that changes from frame to frame, right?Having AE to cache everything is fine but it should be able to recognize and handle out-of-memory situations better.

29. Gabriel Gazzán says:

cri cri

30. Neil says:

I’m with Will on this one. What makes plugins like Nucleo so useful is disk cache. Being able to render/store multiple comps to disk makes AE way more efficient.I’ll take this one step further and say that AE needs an edit timeline just like Premiere, where we can set preview codecs and play back from disk. That way AE becomes a much better option for finishing, and I wouldn’t have to pull my hair out continually rerendering the same frames.Sure I want a usable schematic view, a good 3D environment, and all that, but an edit timeline that caches previews to disk would literally save an hour a day.

31. Michael Miller says:

Now that After Effects and Premiere Pro are going 64-bit native does this mean Apple will finally have to release a 64-bit Quicktime.

32. JJM says:

I think that the next version of AE will be what WIndows Me was to Microsoft.First of all, 64bit versions of Windows aren’t reasy for anything truly serious unless you are already placed on a pedestal, meaning high end editing in some high profile company. Face it. AE is very popular right now with the home crowd. And they wont migrate away from CS4 unless they are running from some errors. Besides, who needs more than 32bit? High profile computers. There are a lot of short films online created by home users that work in 16bit at the most. They fully realize the severity of working in Float. AE is already inefficient enough. If you do your Googling you find that many problems, like Vegas, run more efficiently. But Vegas doesnt have the capabilities of AE. But other programs do. I personally favor Fusion. But I still fancy AE. But not enough to jack my pc up on steroids just to run a program that spits out bittage that the naked eye cannot see.

33. Steven says:

Personally I am amazed at the level of plain stupidity and complete ignorance of some of the posts on here.Regarding bit depth, equipment upgrades, home vs professional users. Why do people think is there any demarcation anymore between home & professional is beyond me. Or may your a fan of hp’s/dell’s web site, that only lets you buy a great laptop if your a large business, otherwise there is no need, now is there?Or the people that think x64 is too new… and desperately want to cling to the extremely old an crippled x32 version. Just an FYI Windows x64 Professional has been around so long that its now end-of-life.Personally I think Adobe should have done this a long time ago. I’m sure most people’s problems of crashing etc will go away, it has in many other markets, because users are probably asking far too much from the x32 version of AE.That said Adobe can still mess this up. How? By not getting plugin developers onboard ASAP.There will be NO point in UPGRADING if the plugins are only months or years away after the release of CS5.If they are not getting this done now, CS5 could turn out to be Adobe’s biggest failure ever.

34. Thomas says:

We’ll see how far 64 Bit(ch) will bring us.Problems arise:http://www.minning.de/journal/normality-not-supported-cs5

35. juan Pablo Banchero says:

Well, Adobe has given us the perfect excuse to stop using AE. Removing all those plug-ins that made AE was wonderful tool it is today. I’ve worked with After Effects since version 6.5, and so far everything that has made the adobe team has been improving the product. However, this commitment to leave no 32bit support is a huge mistake.Another thing that I criticized the team from Adobe is not developing a system similar to GridIron Nucleo Pro is terribly waiting minutes to see second video (even with 4 cores) especially if you’re working in HD with dinamic link. And pay $ 400 for an engine that should be part of the product for which we paid at least $ 999 to me it seems crazy. Furthermore nucleoPro2.0.4 not work as well as it could.I’m sorry but I will not buy AEcs5, I’ll try other options. (And think, I made my company buy After Effects 6.5, 7, Creativesuite CS3 & CS4) Adobe has lost a good customer, and I feel that not just one. [ I assure you the sky is not falling. Perhaps you did not read this post.64-bit brings many advantages (including faster dynamic link, as you have requested). We are not removing any plug-ins. Most will be updated and available around the time AE ships or shortly after. After Effects will continue to have a great selection of plug-ins. — MC]

36. Paul says:

Under $25 per GB?!??!Please…show me where. [ Try Newegg.com. — MC ]

37. Jason says:

Can’t wait till 64 bit, I got 4 GB of ram but can’t use it D:I want snapping to be improved in CS5 (Timeline snapping)

38. Assaf says:

Adobe is jouking on us?I work on AE from the 5 version and every version as it own problem. After effect is the most unstable software that I ever met. It crush and full of error while you rendering and while you working. Adobe need to do a really big bug fix to there product before they get with new relese.CS4 has all the tool that we need, but it have alot of problem and bugs. Adobe need to fix the engine of the software, the render option and the bugs with the plugins. The problem with adobe is that they start to manag like microsoft. every year they have new relese of software, but new softwares with tons of bugs.

39. Marcello Grande says:

All software has bugs and issues upon release. Adobe is pretty great about fixing and updating their software and listening to the AE community.Some people have their heads consumed by the false idea that plugin vendors will not be supporting CS5 this is absolutely untrue. Sure with every release of AE, we lose some legacy tools, but mostly they are just eye candy producing junk filters. All of the important developers already know what is coming and are working to update their tools.AE is used by professionals all over the world. It is the most powerful and flexible tool for just about any job that requires motion graphics, animation and VFX. Yes there are other amazing tools, but not one of them can do wholly what AE can do. At our facility, we have 20+ graphics stations 5 edit suites and Flame & Smoke boxes. We could never do the work without AE, and hardly any project ever leaves the building before getting touched by AE in some regard. Sure, we use C4D, Maya, Imagineer Software, PF Track, Nuke, RealFlow, and a whole bunch of other stuff to get our work done, but AE is just too important to not be in the middle of it all.It’s about better workflow for professional like me who do 32 Float on 4K + images and work with EXR, DPX, and R3D files on a regular basis. Thankfully Adobe is helping us keep up with the pace of change by developing their software to match the rest of the technological updates in our industry.I welcome Adobes improvements, and look forward to using 64 bit AE and all the power it will add to our everyday workflow. Thank you Adobe,you rock.

40. Barry says:

I think people would be less bitter about the transition from 32 to 64 bit if this wasn’t the umpteenth time the software industry has dragged us by the hair into the future with promises of ever greater performance. The fact is, we are all a little tired of pouring torrents of money into silicon valley for tools that are essentially disposable. Why is it software companies refuse to sell and support older versions of their software when the machines that run them still have plenty of life left in them? Why do they insist we don’t really own them? Why is it each new technological breakthrough is just as buggy as the last? Why is every new piece of software hopelessly sluggish on anything but the latest hardware? Enough with the feature bloat, already! Give us something of lasting value we can use. Real performance is a measurement of efficiency, and efficiency is the result of more judicious allocation of resources, not more sensational ones. How, exactly, is a parasitical industry that siphons away billions of dollars a year from every other business in America a boon to productivity, anyway? Maybe it’s time we shine a spotlight on our new cybernetic emperor and see what kind of clothes he’s wearing…

41. @BarryI can understand some of the frustration there. We’re actually caught up in the middle between hardware & OS movement and you. Since I’ve been working at Adobe, the mac OS environment has changed from 68K/Classic to PPC/Classic to PPC to Carbon/CFM to PPC/Carbon MachO to Intel/Carbon MachO to Intel Cocoa 64/MachO. some of these were relatively easy but the rest are not. Trust me when I say that we have been insulating you as much as possible from these shifts.When we release the next version, people will want to know if it’s going to be faster than the previous release. The answer is yes. We recognize that this wasn’t always the case with CS4, so we focused on fixing this. But in early benchmarking, the next version is running faster than CS4 and CS3 on the same hardware.People will also want to know if it handles complex comps and very-high resolution images smoothly. The answer is yes. People want to know if there’s something that’s going to save them huge amounts of time on everyday tasks. Yes. They want to know if there will there be additional creative options. Yes.Many of these advances are enabled by being 64-bit native and that’s why this is going to be such an important threshold for After Effects.So bring on the spotlight.I think After Effects is a great value, particularly if this is something you make a living with. In the end, you decide the products value. If you don’t value these things, tell us what you do value and we’ll build it.

42. John says:

How do we contact you so we can express what we want to see in future versions of AE?I will say a couple of suggestions here. Nodes are becoming more and more popular in compositing applications and you can see the entire project in one view. It’s easier to manage and can handle much more complex scenes without hunting down the shots via precomps. If AE introduces nodes in the interface but keeping the familiar layers interface, artist have the option of working with both interfaces. Much like Combustion from Autodesk. Now that we have the rendering issues fixed, the next approach is the navigation.Also, a complete 3D environment instead of 2.5D. It would be much more convenient to compose actual 3D within the scene than to render out in another app. I know AE is already bulked with features, but possibly focus more on the major features that help make AE run more smoothly. Once those issues are corrected, then newer plugins and effects can be added.AE has so much potential, especially for visual effects for major films. Fusion and Nuke are chosen over AE because they have a better workflow/rendering speed. Correct those in AE, and then AE will be chosen over them.

43. Darren D'Agostino says:

Besides 64-bit support, could you shed any light on the advanced compositing features that AE has always lacked that hopefully we can look forward to? I’m specifically referring to the film market, 32-bit capabilities, and allowing us to use all of the effects in 32-bit and get better results in compositing.One of the things I hate is having to struggle using apps like Nuke which is nowhere near as intuitive as AE merely because it has so many high-end features that AE lacks and is built for film. Truthfully, I don’t knwo why AE lacks this stuff since it’s been out for so long. It sucks because apps like Nuke, while giving you full control, don’t simplify things, have strangely named nodes, and something as simple as creating a bezier mask might take 6 nodes whereas in AE you can do it in a button click.I also agree with John that having a node editing system and complete 3D environment would be ideal, streamlined integration with Maya and XSI, but I also would like to see ways of simplifying things. So let’s say we can get the level of control of Nuke (if we choose to) and then a simplified view if we like. Kind of like how you work with Slim in Renderman. You can have all of your nodes in Slim to edit, and then just choose which settings you want to appear in Maya.Also, please, for the love of God, improve the graph editor. Just hop in Maya and literally duplicate the graph editor they have. I don’t know who made the one in AE, but it’s really terrible. We don’t need 2 different ways to see a curve, i.e. value and speed. These should function in one graph by using weighted tangents, let us break tangents, reunite them, etc. Out of all the things I wish AE had, this is the biggest flaw I see in AE right now. I will often animate something in maya and render it rather than doing it in AE because the level of control and simplicity is just off the charts. I’d be willing to pay extra for AE for this one feature.It would be nice to know anything that we may look forward to, such as stereoscopic support (multi-camera angles) the way it is in Nuke and including MXF output for RealD systems. I really love AE, it’s fast, it’s powerful, but without these high-end features it forces artists like myself to have to resort to learning a whole other app just to keep working. I would also love to send you a detailed laundry list of features if there is some contact info you can supply. I also beta test for other companies and would be glad to help if possible.

44. Touko Maksimainen says:

I agree completely with Darren, the graph editor is awful. I think it was touted to have been upgraded for CS4 but I can’t really tell the difference.Please, copy the curve editor from any 3D app and you’ll be fine.

45. Edb2010 says:

Hi,Say, how can I beta CS5? I have just ordered an M6500 with 16 gigs and would love to run tests. I have no qwarms about 64 bit other than this. In 1997 I bought a Digital 64 bit computer and adobe software was running in emulated mode. I knew the day would come with 64 bit but I did not know it would take software developers 10 years to make it.Anyone to toy with how long it will be for 128 bit architect???Just send me the CS5 software to test please :).edb2010

46. filip_t says:

PLEASE PLEASEadd layer grouping (like in motion, photoshop) in next release of AE. It’s been far too many years dealing with >100 layers to handle (and precomposing isn’t always a solution).thanks

47. Esol Esek says:

PRemiere on the mac is a joke compared to FCP from a meager number of transitions, to exporting to monitoring to no batch processing. Encore just flat out crashes stem to stern, with NO updates.AE and pshop are good programs. Bridge isnt bad minus NO SAVING OF COLOR PALETTES, MORONS.Sometimes I really wonder what goes in those Adobe dev sessions. Of course, Jobs doesnt like em and holds stuff so their video software sucks, which it does on the MAC, not windoze, or so I’ve heard.OH well, buy FCP and AE both…[Here’s my theory — anyone that calls other people ‘morons’ on a blog comment lacks judgement. This isn’t the best blog for Premiere Pro news, but as the product manager for After Effects, I believe that Premiere Pro has improved nicely and has recently added some amazing performance with the new Mercury engine. Anyone who uses AE and PS should see real workflow advantages by replacing FCP with PR pro. — MC ]

48. West says:

Reading your post, and all the comments, thank you very much for the quick announcement that we need to update to 64bit, I was about to pick my Win7 Version, and well, it is going to be 64 bit, to bad for some of my older exotic hardware.Little wish for the new CS5, native KULER support.

49. Barrett says:

i agree, nested precomps would be a godsend… the ability to expand a precomps timeline within its parent would be such a timesaver. how hard would that be?

50. Dan Ramsy says:

Really look forward to the new over haul. Just discusted with all the babies feeling this is their time to moan about their issues.It also boggles the mind that anyone still uses a 32 bit OS, but I do agree with why the heck does MS still put them out. I suppose anyone that releases OS’s that constantly asks the user for admin rights when they’re the only user on the machine can’t be all that smart ;-)I hope AE allows the implemented improvement to editing AVCHD!Thanks tons!Dan Ramsy

51. Chace says:

This ridiculous. I’m not upgrading my computer for this crap. Just enable disk caching capabilities to deal with all the errors in After Effects, so many which arise out of memory shortages! Very fast hard drives to take the place of memory are becoming very affordable! 64-bit math capabilities of a processor… my eyes will not even notice! Release a 32-bit version or I’ll never upgrade.

52. We already have disk caching in After Effects. Disk caching is much slower than RAM caching, so while it may seem like a good idea, it doesn’t have the performance benefit you’re looking for. Native 64-bit is the shortest path to better performance in After Effects. Check out this post about how After Effects CS5 will be faster. The situation today is that you’re better off with a 64-bit system and some additional RAM.

53. lv says:

in 64bit system. the system memory will use twice than 32bit system.So nothing is free in this luanch.. but i hope that will make my after effect eat more memory to do his job.

54. Anish says:

Of course Windows 7 is better but what about those who already have rock solid XP x64? At least one 64-bit native release should be supported on XP 64? Is this because Adobe doesn’t have 64-bit XP development/test machines? Everyone knows 64-bit XP doesn’t get supported from Microsoft properly and third party drivers. Why Adobe too? I think one release of native 64-bit should have been supported by Adobe on XP x64. Adobe should not force us to upgrade from an OS that came out in 2005.

55. Andrew says:

I am really confused as to why you act like you have supported 64bit platforms for “years”? This is the first and only time the OS X versions of Adobe software have supported 64bit. Not only that even what was on the PC side is was very limited 64bit support with only a few of the Adobe applications.As a for a technical question, does CS5 After Effects support bucket rendering for individual frames? I have often wondered why you don’t multithread frames like most high end 3D render applications. It seems to be much more efficient with memory and results in better performance.

56. I think the difference is between ‘native’ and ‘supported’. By ‘supported’ I was referring to running a 32-bit application on a 64-bit OS. This is the case with AE CS3 and CS4. There are some incremental performance improvements by going this route, and this has been the case for a few years.’Native’ is very different, and it means that CS5 is a 64-bit application and it runs on 64-bit OSes. In this case, there are quite significant performance benefits. Hence the big news.Unless I am misunderstanding your 2nd question, you can already render multiple frames simlutaneously on multi-core computers. (it’s a checkbox in the prefs). This works in CS3 and CS4, but is it also is greatly improved in CS5, thanks to the 64-bit native changes.

57. RICHEE says:

REVISED “COMMENTCAN ANY ONE TELL ME IF ADOBE CS5 MASTER bundle will work properlyon THE VERY LATEST “MINI-MAC” which was announced TODAY JUNE 15by APPLE ???? arichman3@mac.com

58. I haven’t seen one in person yet, but looking at the specs on the apple website, it should run CS5 just fine. For video work, you’ll probably want to get more than the minimum amount of RAM.