Thinking of running After Effects on Windows 7? All signs point to yes.

After Effects has been tested with Windows 7 and there are currently no known issues. Windows 7 looks to be a great OS to run After Effects.

I highly recommend the 64-bit editions for 2 main reasons. First, After Effects CS4 runs better on 64-bit operating systems, and second, After Effects CS4 will be the last 32-bit version of After Effects. I also highly recommend the Professional or Ultimate edition because the Home edition is limited to 8GB of ram.

Adobe has posted an FAQ discussing Creative Suite support for Microsoft Windows 7. For more detailed technical info, see the technote on “Installing and using Windows 7 with Adobe applications.

24 Responses to Thinking of running After Effects on Windows 7? All signs point to yes.

1. Mike Knight says:

Im using Windows 7 (64bit) and After Effects CS4. All works extremely well. No issues with it at all. Runs like a dream.

2. Reno says:

I haven’t seen “Home” sold anywhere. Maybe it’s only for system manufacturers?Most everyone seems to always get Home Premium or above. The 16GB RAM limit of Home Premium should be good enough for most people.http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx(section: Physical Memory Limits: Windows 7)

3. Reno says:

I forgot to mention, I’m also on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.I’ve already completed a 1m30s segment with After Effects that took several hours to finish. I had no issues at all (rock solid).I honsetly didn’t see any problems comming though. I didn’t have issues with AE CS4 on Vista x64 Home Premium and Windows 7 is just Vista refined.[Thanks for the report! — MC]

4. Rami says:

Hi,I’m running AE CS4 on Win7 64bit, on a core i7 machine with 12Gb of Ram.For some reason though, AE recognizes only 4 cores, instead 8 cores.Any ideas why and how to fix it?

• Joseph says:

No sorry, after effects will only use 4 of the 8. its just programmed to recognize 4 cores. But that gives you more processing power to work with other applications like 3ds max or photoshop.

• mcoleman says:

It does preserve some cores to use elsewhere, since After Effects CS4 did not use “see” virtual cores, but the multi-core engine in After Effects CS5 has been improved to make use of all cores, real and virtual. You can set the number of cores that AE will use in the preferences dialog, in the ‘multi-processing’ section.

5. Brad says:

This is great news, been planning for transition to Win 7 and this was my first question.

6. Remington M says:

At first when read this I freaked out because I had the hom edition in the mail. It’s not however limited to 8GB, although I think the basic one might be limited to 4 I think. But yeah, I haven’t really had any issues running it with 7, although I think I have had problems with my processor. I have an i7 and had to turn multi core processing off because it couldn’t handle it….

7. Tito says:

what have you guys done with the quicktime problem? I can’t install it and when i do Afx won’t start up

8. Tito says:

I solved it with the quicktime alternative, Afx recognized it without any trouble, a goos solution for all of you running a 64bit version of windows, I’m using Windows 7

9. TheMystical says:

Using AF in Win7 64bit with 0 problems, runs smoothly.

10. ?????????????? says:

Hey im thinking of geating affter effects and how much ram does it need to run smoothly.

11. D Saunders says:

Purchased an HP i7 machine for my son with Windows 7 Professional. Installed Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium. Getting a font error on launch of after effects, photo shop is working fine. Try to uninstall and reinstall, didn’t fix it. Anyone have any suggestions?

12. Stu says:

I have the same problem as Rami, I have the core i7 920 and run windows 7 64bit, but after effects only says I have 4 cpu cores.

13. BT says:

you twittered you got a new HP machine with 96gb of ram and a dreamcolor monitor. Could you tell us the model and what processor it has, and your first thoughts of the new machine.Thanks

14. henrik says:

@ Rami and Stu :i7 is 4 cores, hyperthreaded, but still 4 physicalcores, and thats all that after effects will see.”The Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing features uses physical cores, not virtual cores. “http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/971912

15. susan says:

16. CJ says:

I have Win 7 64 bit and I’ve installed after effects everything is working but I have only sound issues (no sound). Please help.

17. FIX FOR CORE i7 Cores being parked - Get full power! says:

EVERYONE READ – FIX FOR CORE i7 – TURN ON ALL CORES for full power under programs like after effects or music programs or whatever.

@Stu, I believe 4 of your cores are going to sleep under power management under windows 7. That’s what happened to me and this fix helped. There are guides on the internet that explain what to change in your registry to make sure you always get the full power of all 8 cores. 4 real and 4 hyperthread etc. It only applies to Windows 7 X64 and X32 and only in systems using more than 2 cores – ie: Core i7’s.

There are guides on the internet of what to change in your registry, or see

========================================================
    The Fix
    – Go to Regedit
    – Select Edit > Find… and find this key: ” 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 ”
    – Within this key, there is a value called: ” ValueMax ” This value represents the % number of cores the system will park
    – Change the value of ” ValueMax” to 0 so that, it matches ” ValueMin ”
    – You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found – the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system. To do this go back up to Edit > Find Next. (I had 3 instances of this key in my registry.)
    – Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start.

THIS WORKED FOR ME! Before I did this only 4 cores would respond under my editors, music programs etc. What I mean is I’d run the task manager and watch the performance graphs and 4 were sleeping. AFTER I did this, I could clearly see all 8 hopping around and being used. It greatly sped every thing up as it allows programs to use all the cores. good luck.

18. FIX FOR CORE i7 Cores being parked - Get full power! says:

By the way, while using Sony Vegas for editing, I absolutely DO see all 8 cores being used. The same is true with Adobe After Effects. So henrik is wrong about saying it can only use 4 cores. It doesn’t matter that there are only 4 actual physical cores because each core can have a hyper threading core and that is what hyper threading is for. According to Intel “IntelĀ® Hyper-Threading technology enables highly threaded applications to get more work done in parallel. With 8 threads available to the operating system, multi-tasking becomes even easier”. This makes it possible for you to have 8 frames being worked on at once. One per core on an i7 920 for example.

19. T-byrd McCloy says:

Nothing but problems. Ram preview causes afterfx to spawn hundreds of instantly disappearing windows, turns white, stops responding for 10+ seconds or until end task. No multi proc, no disk caching, just fail on multiple machines.
    2 proc, 8 core 16 thread 2.23Ghz Nehalem Supermicro Workstation 16GB ram, Quadro FX 3800 1GB, Win7 x64 professional.
    I recommend deploying this as an IT manager if you want to come in Monday morning to find your building in flames and producers trying to hang you.

I do appreciate that so many Adobe employees take the time to write in the Adobe blog. that’s cute.

• mcoleman says:

Hmmm. I’ve never seen this happen, so not I’m not sure what you’re running into. Please head over to the official After Effects forumsand post this question there. That forum is monitored by Adobe support staff who can help you find an answer to your issue.

• T-byrd McCloy says:

Thanks! It’s funny that somehow we as a company spend over $60,000 a year on Volume licensing and yet there is no elevated support number to call. Adobe must be taking notes from Microsoft. This should be illegal but nobody legislates for consumers anymore.

• mcoleman says:

I looked for your posting on the forums, but didn’t see anything. Did you actually reach out to someone on the forums? Or are you just assuming that nobody pays attention to them? I have a couple things to add to my previous comments:

First the forums are a great way to get to people who know what they are talking about. Unlike other companies, real people with real knowledge are there — especially for After Effects. Todd Kopriva, Mylenium, etc. These blog comments are not a support channel. Second, there is a phone number. But if you call it, it may take more time to work through the call center, etc. The number can be found on the Adobe support site. Lastly, most licensing customers also buy upgraded support plans. These give you lots of benefits such as extended hours, faster response times, etc. Contact the person who purchased your software for your organization to find out if you are a member of these plans. Most companies at the volume of yours are a member. Lastly, you can always send me an note. Despite your insinuation that I am a corporate lackey, I DO care that you have a good experience. I will connect you with someone else who can help. The address first part my email is mcoleman and the second part is adobe.com.