Adobe Flex on Android

Adobe AIR for Android has been around for a few months now (available in this prerelease program), but using it requires you to either code in pure ActionScript 3, pick up a third-party framework, or use a tool such as Flash Pro to create your own components. One of the most popular SDKs that simplifies this process has been Adobe Flex; on the desktop and the web, this is a powerful, free, open-source framework that provides hundreds of components and tools. With the next version of Flex, it’ll be optimized and available for mobile devices.

I’m developing an application using the next version of Flex, known as “Hero,” and in the process I discovered that I need to access the device’s camera. To test Flex’s interoperability with AIR’s camera APIs, I decided to create a simple Flex app that pulls video and still photos from my Nexus One’s camera, loads them in a new screen (called a View), and displays the photo when the user physically shakes the device. This makes for a decent (if simple) demo of what Flex Hero can do on mobile devices; I recorded this running on my Nexus One and did a quick screencast of the code in Flash Builder:

You can learn more about Flex on mobile here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flex/mobile/

I’ll probably put this project and code up on my blog in the near future, and stay tuned for more videos of my Flex “Hero” apps running on mobile devices.

13 Responses to Adobe Flex on Android

1. LIonel says:

This is good. The AIR development experience across devices is getting more concise. Good Job Adobe.

2. Pingback: Hero – Première vidéo des composants mobiles de Flex 4.5 - Adobe Flex Tutorial - Tutoriaux Flex Builder, MXML, ActionScript, AS3

3. Pingback: akyo's me2DAY

4. Pingback: Flex 4.5 : Hero – First Look

5. Hugo M. says:

Hi,
    the flex sdk 4.5 on opensource adobe doesn’t have MobileApplication and Views seems they have stripped it from the sdk … any info on that ?

6. dkoestle says:

We’re still working on the mobile optimizations for Flex Hero; the version on the open source site doesn’t contain these improvements yet. I’ll be making blog posts when it gets closer to being publicly available.

7. Hugo M. says:

It would be nice to have on the prerelease program

8. Pingback: Nouvelles pour Flexeurs ! | Adobe Flex / AIR : exemples, tutoriels, veille sur les Nouvelles Applications Internet

9. I agree. I’d love to start using MobileApplication. This along with Christian Cantrell’s post on multiscreen dev (http://blogs.adobe.com/cantrell/archives/2010/04/one_application_five_screens.html) has me waiting impatiently.

• R.D.Rush Jr. says:

Agreed, Tony.

Waiting sux – impatience is a virtue – and with Flex 4.5 out now maybe we can start flexing with some AIR for devices instead of foaming at the mouth pointlessly.

Sweet.

10. Tahir Alvi says:

Nice ,
    But when you post the actual code at your blog, i am eager to see that.

Thanks

11. Pingback: Flex 4.5 (Hero) on Mobile | Simeon Says

12. R.D.Rush Jr. says:

I had backed off of programming for awhile as was getting ready for college and stuff. I feel the urge coming back and this video helped in a number of ways in getting the ball rolling again.

The content was excellent – addressing accelerometers is an area that many shy away from due to complexity, but this video not only approaches the issue it slams the concept into submission. The HD content availability was a nice touch too with crisp playback on my 23 inch monitor – most HD content offerings get block artifacts when scaling this high and above it seems.

Post a link to your blog(s) Daniel – that’s an order. Move it!!!
    (Now, I have to watch the video again to get your blog address – shameful.)