Templates and Galleries

Some of you may have seen a post I put on John Nack’s blog a couple months ago about how Lightroom uses XML and XSLT to build an HTML template.

A few things changed in Lightroom between when I originally wrote that, and when we shipped 1.0. So it seems worthwhile to revisit that post and correct what’s changed. Most notably, we renamed some of the terms.

What used to be…. => …is now called
“Web Template” => “Web Gallery”
“Preset Browser” => “Template Browser”
“Preset” => “Template”
“WebTemplates” => “Web Galleries”

Also the folder to put new Web Galleries into has changed. On Mac, store them in <your home directory>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Web Galleries/. On Windows, put the gallery in C:\Documents and Settings\arahn.MN-IAGO\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Web Galleries.

In the next couple of posts, I plan to show how to build a simple flash-based gallery using Flash 8 and the ActionScript programming language. So stay tuned!

18 Responses to Templates and Galleries

1. Looking forward to the rest Andy, thanks!

2. Johan says:

Hope the guides will be onlines soon. :-) Would love to make my own template.

3. Larry Angier says:

The $64k question: How does one retain the image metadata once embeded in the original image when exporting to a web gallery?My files seemed stripped and in light of the coming of the Orphan Works legislation and guidelines of UPDIG, I want them included, not stipped.I know the images become slightly smaller, but even though the images can be watermarked, it clutters an image to have more than just a single byline.TIA,

4. Fred Tedsen says:

This is very welcome. However, from the standpoint of users like me who really don’t want to learn XML and XSLT, some much more basic capability would be welcome. For example, simply being able to format “Title” and “Caption” in the HTML gallery such that we can space metadat fields and add line breaks would be most welcome. Either that or tell us how to add such fields in to existing galleries/templates. Thanks.

5. There one thing I’d really really love to find out about and that’s creating a Web Gallery that could integrate with a “buy” button to say PayPal or something similar. It’s the one thing missing for commercial photographers, lightroom address’s the largest part, making your images look good and along with a way to create beautiful galleries but no simple way of auto adding a buy button.Hope I’m not missing something fundimental as to why it’s not there in a Gallery but it does seem like it should be.Would love to hear if it’s possible – I have a team of coders in my office waiting to find out :-)Kind RegardsDominic

6. Dominic, I have a PS script that bangs out HTML PayPal galleries out of PS CS2 (not as elegant as a Lightroom template). It should be possible to make a template for Lightroom as well. Contact me through my personal website (http://www.tranberry.com/) and I’ll email you the script.

7. Gio says:

What is needed isn’t a tutorial on how to use another Adobe program – Flash has a very long learning curve. Instead, please implement HTML galleries that can be customized without a PhD in XML, XSLT, XPATH etc.

8. Gio says:

I also second Larry’s point about Web generating jpegs stripped of metadata. This is very poor.

9. Tim Sewell says:

Having just spent a 12 hour stint until 530am pasting, then altering the product numbers on 367 PayPal buttons after a wedding I’d be pretty interested in a script too. I was close to figuring out how to add in the basic button code where I wanted it but not on how to extract the filename as a product number automatically. I will be contacting you through your site too, Jeffrey.

10. joe says:

I am creating a site with tutorials on creating your own custom templates will also provide templates for download at lightroomgalleries.com

11. Chris says:

Following on from this post I have put together a blog on How to create these Web Galleries.Hope its of interest.

12. joe says:

I am creating a site http://www.lightroomgalleries.com which will have easy to understand tutorials on creating template and modifying them as well

13. joe says:

For some reason my template i made at http://www.lightroomgalleries.com is not working on a mac. I dont have a mac to test with so any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

14. joe says:

Hi Andy. We trying to use swfObject to embed a flash file in a template but the flash does not appear in the preview within lightroom. If you export the gallery or hit the “preview in browser” button it works. Any tips on including flash in the templates? Thanks!Joe

15. Sverre says:

Hi, I am looking forward to this! I hope you can include how to use flash parts from web sites, or better yet how to integrate this into an existing flash web-page. Thanks.

16. Joe says:

Hi Andy, quick question for you. Where in the galleryMaker.xml or transformer.xml does it actually instruct lightroom to create the different sized images/thumbnails? im working on a template in which i will need to get the ratio of width to height of the generated thumbnail images first before creating the larger images. can this be done? Thanks!

17. Tony Puerzer says:

I would really like to see a built-in gallery index generator in Lightroom. It would be great to be able to link together a number of Lightroom-generated sub-galleries with a common index page (gallery).I’ve hacked together an example of what I mean on the following site:http://www.lightcourse.comIt would sure be nice if there was a built-in feature to do this!Thanks![ Andy Rahn : Thanks for your feedback. Your timing is impeccable! We'll keep your ideas in mind as we move forward with new features for the Web module! ]

18. Vision Ojos says:

I am using Dell Inspiron laptop as it serves my purpose and mainly it was affordable to me. Its really wonderful with i3 processor and 8Gb RAM.