Problems Importing From CF Cards in v1.0

Thanks to one of our original beta testers, Syl Arena, for pointing out that he was having crashes on Mac Lightroom v1.0 when importing over 100 or so photos directly from a CF card. Turns out, there is a bug that can cause a crash under certain circumstances when importing directly from camera memory cards. We’ve found that you should be able to avoid this problem in the short term by turning OFF the Render Standard-Sized Previews option in the Import dialog.

This problem will be fixed in an upcoming release.

A benefit of turning off the Render Standard-Sized Previews option in the Import dialog will generally be much faster imports. Lightroom will build and cache these previews later as needed anyway, or you can force it to build them in the Library by selecting the photos in the grid, and choosing the Library -> Previews -> Render Standard-Sized Previews menu item.

15 Responses to Problems Importing From CF Cards in v1.0

1. TONY GIAMMARINO says:

Is this CF card issue only with MAC ? Has it happened to anyone running Lightroom on a PC? Will the upcoming release work for both OS platforms?

2. David Heintz says:

I am thinking there is a small misconception here. That it is not necessarily the number of photos, but the size of data on the card.Reason: I have had the same problem importing RAW files from my L1. These are (unfortunately) very large files.I will try this workaround…

3. I don’t know if this affects the PC.And sorry, no specifics available on the next release.

4. Suzanne says:

Ah ha! I have been running through every possible configuration trying to get the images off the card.Contrary to the 100 images report, I was having hanging happening with as little as three images.Importing from the camera was a no go. OSX 10.4.9 Canon RebelXT, CompactFlash SanDisk Extreme 512MB cards, and I shoot RAW.When I use a card reader that looks to the system as another drive, it will import any amount of files happily, so that was ultimately my solution — letting Lightroom still make copies of the images in my backup directory.I’ll try removing the rendering and see if I can get the files off as I was before.Glad to hear it has been found, this was driving me to distraction!

5. Mariano Kamp says:

I ran into the same problem. Now I copy all the images to my hdd first and then import them from there.Fortunately the bug doesn’t eat the images and so there is no real loss, but time.

6. Kirk Brooks says:

I am running LR on a MacPro. I haven’t had any crashes importing RAW files from CF cards.I have noticed LR claim it was unable to import some files (typically 10 or 12 out of ~400). When I directed LR to import those files directly it would do so without a problem.The cards are Lexar 4gig shot with a Canon 1d Mk2n. Has anyone else had this problem?

7. Kevin Tieskoetter says:

This problem is only on the Mac; it will not affect our Windows users.Kirk, I have not noticed a problem like what you describe. How often does it happen for you?

8. Mariano,Although your posting is somewhat old, i do have the same problem.On a macpro, importing typically fails to import some images, while these are visible in finder. I work with a 5d, 4gig card, but had the same problem with a 10 and a 2gig card.Anyone, any ideas? A workaround maybe?

9. Mariano,Although your posting is somewhat old, i do have the same problem.On a macpro, importing typically fails to import some images, while these are visible in finder. I work with a 5d, 4gig card, but had the same problem with a 10 and a 2gig card.Anyone, any ideas? A workaround maybe?

10. Craig Beyers says:

I’ve had similar problems with LR not importing files, usually 2 – 4% of the images in a shoot. I use Lexar 2gB CF cards. I record the images not imported, then copy them to a folder on my desktop, then do the import/convert to DNG from there…annoying, but it’s a workaround. Is it the CF brand or a LR problem? I’m planning to get more–and larger–CF cards so should I avoid Lexar? Any problems with Sandisk CF Cards? Recommendations?

11. Craig Beyers says:

12. M. Petersom says:

This is also a Windows XP problem. I experienced it when downloading one (1) test raw file after reinstalling LR on a new hard disc on my laptop.I will untick the preview and try again tonight.

13. m says:

I have a msvcr.dll crash when trying to import from a esata drive on an xp laptop. I have 30,000 raws there and it crashes after a few k of files. Its dont it twice. It also seems to have a memory leak or something as it uses tons of ram and then gobbles up swap file space. After all that it becomes slow and useless.

14. I’m having trouble when trying to make a backup copy to another hard drive. I’m running PC, Vista, Lightroom 1.1.It happens both when I insert a card or when trying to import images that are currently on the C drive in folders (My Pictures). When I check the box to “Back Up” the default option is to a Backup folder on the C drive. When I click “Choose” (because I want to back-up to a folder on the D drive (second HD internal), I get the dialog box from which to choose, but when I choose “Computer” to choose my D drive, the application hangs and I have to quit. I did read some of the posts above and I do not have the “Render Standard Size Previews” box checked.

15. John Wall says:

FWIW, I’m on a PC and have had this problem consistently, even after upgrading to LR2. I have to download the card to my hard drive, then import to LR.