Fine Tuning Language

Lightroom 1.2 has support for four languages: English, French, German, and Japanese. With the 1.2 release, English, French, and German are packaged in the same installer. So how do you choose which language Lightroom uses? The answer depends on which operating system you use.

Note: The Japanese release of Lightroom 1.2 uses the same logic as the English, French, and German release, so you can use these same techniques described below with that release.

Windows

On windows, Lightroom bases its language choice off of the “Current Format” selection in the “Regional and Language Options” control panel. Simply select any of the “English”, “French” or “German” language options

If your primary language is not French, German or English, Lightroom on Windows will use English.

If you want to select one language in the “Regional and Language Options” control panel, but prefer to use Lightroom in English, this is possible… but it requires that you modify the Lightroom installation. So proceed with caution:

1. Open “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.2″ in Windows Explorer.

2. Create a new folder called “Disabled Languages”
  3. Open the “Resources” folder.
  4. Move “fr” and “de” to the “Disabled Languages” folder.

Now Lightroom will be in English regardless of what language setting you make in the “Regional and Language Options” control panel. To revert this change, move the “fr” and “de” folder back into the Resources folder.

Note: On Windows XP, the control panel is called “Regional and Language Settings” (Microsoft renamed the control panel in Vista).

Macintosh

On a Macintosh computer, you can rank your preferred languages in order by using the International control panel. Drag the language you want to use to the top of the list. Then relaunch Lightroom: The user interface will be presented in that language.

If your primary language is not French, German, or English, Lightroom will scan down the list and use the first language that we support. For example, if your primary language is “Español”, but you also speak French, you can set Lightroom to use French by making sure “Français” appears second in the list of Languages in the International control panel.

If you want your operating system to be French or German, but prefer to use Lightroom in English, this is simple:

1. Open the /Applications folder in the Finder

2. Select “Adobe Lightroom.app”
  3. Right click on “Adobe Lightroom.app” and select “Get Info”
  4. Expand the “Languages” tab
  5. Uncheck “de” and “fr”

Now Lightroom will be in English regardless of what language setting you make in the International control panel. To restore the French and German functionality, follow the same steps, except this time check them back on.

9 Responses to Fine Tuning Language

1. Dan says:

the steps and the mac are actually much simpler and safer (and standard amongst most multilingual Mac apps).just “Get Info” on the application icon and uncheck the languages you don’t want to see. no copying files required.–Andy Responds: Of course, you’re right! I looked in the Get Info panel, but somehow missed the collapsed languages tab. I’ve modified the entry to use your steps! Thanks!

2. RobertWood says:

Attempting to access these settings through the Get Info panel, I find the three Language choices appear; however they are grayed out – unselectable. Under the “Ownership & Permissions” tab, set to system by default, unlocking and resetting to a normal user account – read & write does not render the Language tab items selectable. How do I gain access to these items in the Get Info panel?Thanks, Robert–Andy responds: Robert, I see what you mean. I was able to get control by duplicating Adobe Lightroom.app using the Finder. Then I was able to customize the copy using the Finder’s Get Info command. (You can then throw away the original and rename the copy back to the original name.)

3. Douglas Meredith says:

Thanks for the workaround with langauge.Do you have a workaround for those of us who work in Windows XP and need to turn off “intuitive filename sorting” and go back to the old filename sort method? It seems that LR does not allow the user to select the filename sorting method best for their application. A swtich to turn off intuitive filename sorting or simply honoring what we select in TWEAK UI or change in REGEDIT would be a very helpful workaround.–Andy Responds: Douglas, I’ll forward your suggestion to the team. I’m not currently aware of any workaround.

4. Teb Kaylis says:

Andy responds: Robert, I see what you mean. I was able to get control by duplicating Adobe Lightroom.app using the Finder. Then I was able to customize the copy using the Finder’s Get Info command. (You can then throw away the original and rename the copy back to the original name.Hey Andy, I happened on your website via lightroomnews.com and was glad to see that there’s a work-around to the language issue for the recent 1.2 lightroom update. I therefore closely followed the instructions you provide (as shown above). Thing though is that since then Lightroom has been painfully slow. Quite annoyingly as well.It’s running at the same crippling speed it did when I was using some of the Beta versions. Preview images take forever to load (even with low res jpegs) and the problem is greatly multiplied when i try viewing raw files i shot with a P45+ back.Prior to the update, everything used to work very well. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!(I’ve got a 2GB 1.67Ghz PowerBook with plenty of HD space [60GB].)

5. Tobias Dratt says:

I changed the language in the described way on my Mac. However whenever I import images now from a cardreader the system crashes – maybe the database is still linked to the old language and this is causing the error.Seems that I will have to stay with the silly German translation…

6. Thanks much for this information.When it seemed for a while that I was gonna be hopelessly stuck in the French version it almost spoiled all the fun of having gotten the program delivered via UPS and waiting for me as I got home from work today! ;)Hopefully the Windows workaround won’t result in any downgraded performance.

7. Pascal says:

Can one use any of the three languages (German / English / French) independent of the version one originally purchased the license for?Would appreciate a confirmation.Thank youPascal

8. Marc Schaerrer says:

I would also be interested to know if I will be able to run Lightroom in English/French) if I get a box of Lightroom 1.0 in German (there are good deals).[Marc, the Lightroom updates provided on Adobe.com include English, French and German language support in a single installation. You are free to select your language per the details of this post. -TH]

9. Gianni Giosue says:

Hello there!I hope that somebody could help me out. i am based in japan and i was thinking of buying Lightroom here, the only problem is that i would like to use the English version. My question is; if i buy the japanese version can i then change the language to English once i istall it on my MacBook? i am using Leopard 10.5Thank you for your timebest regardsgianni[Yes. The language is driven by your system preferences. You can also refer to the following blog post: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2007/09/fine_tuning_language.html -TH]