Lightroom 1.3, the Export SDK Preview and Camera Raw 4.3

The Lightroom 1.3 and Camera Raw 4.3 updates have been posted to the following locations: Lightroom(Mac, Win), Camera Raw(Mac, Win).  The updates include support for the following new camera models:

Canon           EOS 1Ds Mark III
Canon           PowerShot G9
Nikon           D3
Nikon           D300
Olympus       E-3
Olympus       SP-560 UZ
Panasonic     DMC-L10

Lightroom 1.3 also provides improved support for the OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system.

For me, the most exciting part of this release is that we’ll be providing a preview of the Export SDK on Labs.adobe.com.  The Export SDK is a glimpse into what’s possible with a workflow SDK. (Think direct export from Lightroom to Flickr/Smugmug/FTPHosts/etc)  I categorize Lightroom’s extensibility into two different SDK opportunities: Workflow and Image Processing.  There are expectations around an Image Processing SDK given Photoshop’s plug-in history.  But Lightroom will focus on a workflow SDK initially to enable better interoperation between Lightroom and other tools or services before providing the ability to add an image processing plug-in like a lens correction plug-in or noise/grain plug-in. The Lightroom Export SDK preview is the Lightroom product team’s first opportunity to engage the developer community. While this preview SDK functionality is limited to the Export dialog, the discussion should be expanded to include any functional area that a developer would like to build upon.

The SDK can be found here
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroomsdk/    Join the discussion and tell us what you think.

Don’t forget rule #5!

Update 11/17
For those experiencing difficulities reaching the Lightroom download links above, please use the following:
Mac:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/mac/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_mac_1_3.dmg

Win:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/win/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_win_1_3.exe

73 Responses to Lightroom 1.3, the Export SDK Preview and Camera Raw 4.3

1. Congratulations on another great release! It’ll be fascinating to see how the SDK develops.There’s a bit more information on the other new features on my website at http://www.photoshopservices.co.uk/lightroom13whatsnew.htmVictoria

2. Mike Zupan says:

Thanks Tom! Does this mean it is safe to use Time Machine, or does that still need to be disabled while using Lightroom? I saw no mention of Time Machine in the release notes.[Mike, I would still recommend not running Time Machine backup or restore operations while Lightroom is in use. I’ll have more details as soon as they’re available. -TH]

3. Super, now I can finally upgrade! Any idea when the print panel will be bug free?

4. Ross says:

Excellent! I’ve been waiting for the SDK so I can write a Flickr export plugin, but not only have you released the SDK but you’ve saved me writing it too. :) Many thanks.

5. Glad this release is out. Thanks for that.@ Mike: Until this Time Machine thing is worked out, the obvious thing it seems to me is to exclude the Lightroom catalog and previews file from the Time Machine backup, which avoids the problem and lets Time Machine work in the background; then have Lightroom backup it’s own catalog on startup each time (it can even back it up to a directory on the Time Machine drive).[Solid advice Duncan until we can publish our own recommendation- TH]

6. Jauder Ho says:

Thanks for the new release. It does feel faster with initial usage.However, I would still very much like to see in the Export dialog the ability to set relative folders. This was a GREAT feature in RawShooter.For example, I have all my RAW files in // and I want to export to //.With the current settings, this means I have to change folders every time I process a different day. I would think I’m not the only one with this kind of workflow so this would be very useful. Thanks in advance.I’ve also posted about it over here.http://getsatisfaction.com/adobe/topics/adobe_lightroom_feature_request[Jauder, one of the things we’re trying to do with this release is allow photographers(or rather independent developers) extend the export dialog using an Export SDK. This sounds like an excellent example of customizing the experience. I’ll need to check with the engineers to see if your customization is possible with our current SDK on Labs.adobe.com. -TH]

7. Simon says:

Hey, the links are not working, It somehow redirects me to a download page for trials.Even on the adobe.com pages…[Simon, try the links at the top of my blog post. -TH]

8. Shrey says:

Great update!But!I’m using a Mac 10.5.1 and HP B9180. Lightroom is still not using paper profiles when printing! I’ve reset the printing system – no change. I can’t download new HP drivers, because I have the latest! And they are supposed to be updated via Software Update for HP printers now.Any help would be appreciated.[Shrey, we may have some notes out shortly on compatibility issues with 10.5.1. Lightroom 1.3 was tested primarily against 10.5. -TH]

9. User says:

You mention:[Mike, I would still recommend not running Time Machine backup or restore operations while Lightroom is in use. I’ll have more details as soon as they’re available. -TH]A pity this important piece of information is not included in the release notes!

10. Hoddo says:

Hi Tom,Followed your link but the update page is only showing LR 1.2 and not 1.3 – am I looking in the wrong place?[Hoddo, try refreshing your browser on the update page. -TH]

11. Richard says:

I’m running Tiger and am in no huge rush to upgrade to Leopard. Is there any reason for me to do this upgrade before I upgrade to Leopard? My camera (Canon 5D) is supposed and LR is running fine.I tend not to do upgrade unless I need to to fix specific things and I don’t like to mess with stable setups. I’d appreciate some feedback on whether there are bug fixes in this version of LR that make it worthwhile for me.Thanks.[Good question Richard. I would highly recommend upgrading. In addition to fixing the auto-write XMP performance issue there are several other architectural changes under the hood that should make your experience with Lightroom smoother. -TH]

12. jane doe says:

It might be useful to actually put the updates online before posting releases notices all over the internet?[Good point Jane. Our PR team is looking into why several media outlets and our own Adobe.com team posted the release ahead of the scheduled time. -TH]

13. Gaspy says:

I for one CAN’T WAIT to get image processing plugins for Lightroom.Failing that, a built-in Lens Corrections plugin is really a must for me.[You’re not alone Gaspy. But can you be more specific on what lens corrections you use on a regular basis? -TH]

14. Congratulations on the new release. This takes one thing off my list of things I would like to see in Lightworks.I have a wishlist of features, but had no idea where to send it. So I have made small posts on my website with one feature in each post. Would be very happy if someone would take the time to comment on some of them, or let me know where to send the whole list.[Svein, check out the following link for our feature submission form. I read every entry that’s submitted. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform -TH]

15. Michal Urban says:

Improved export dialog is not too bad, but I find it too bright. Original one was in “standard dialog gray”, this white one is too “blinding”, especially if you have your workspace configured with darker grays.I know it’s a nitpick but my initial reaction was “yuck”…[Good feedback Michal. My favorite part of the export dialog is the ability to see the summary of each section in the header of a collapsed panel. -TH]

16. Steve says:

Great! Does this mean the Print Module will work with Leopard?[Steve, the print module works with OS X 10.5 but I believe 10.5.1 may have exposed another problem. I’ll post an update to this blog later today. -TH]

17. Shrey says:

Thanks for the update.Lightroom 1.2 was also printing without profiles under 10.5I printed with Lightroom 1.3 on 10.5.1 to my HP B9180 and Canon i9950 and in both cases, the images are printed with profiles. So, it seems it’s not a printer driver issue. Photoshop prints perfectly on both printers.On the HP, both Lightroom and Photoshop mess up the driver settings. Under Print Quality, The ‘Color’ pull does not appear so I cannot select ‘Application Managed Color’. Also, I can only select Advanced HP Photo paper types – all paper types are greyed out. This happened on 10.5 as well as 10.5.1I just checked the Canon driver. It seems like, if you use a paper profile in Lightroom/Photoshop, it doesn’t allow you to double profile, thereby disabling the color options. Nice, but could been documented somewhere!Shrey

18. I’ve been trying to get the update all day and the page just isn’t there? I’m on Leopard so the compatibility is a big plus for me. So whats going on?[Jamie, are you trying the links at the top of my blog entry? -TH]

19. Alan Hess says:

I was so excited to see that i would be able to print from Lightroom again. So when the 1.3 update came out, i jumped on it.I have two major concerns.First, and i know this has been pointed out before, but the lightroom still doesn’t print correctly using profiles. Photoshop CS3 does but lightroom doesn’t.2nd and more importantly, my desktop has been reduced to a crawl when running Lightroom.Now, i know this machine isn’t the greatest thing on two processors, but it used to stumble along at a pretty ok clip, now it just shows me the spinning beach ball with every click.

20. Bratku says:

How long till someone develops export to Picasaweb plugin??That’d by absolutely great!

21. Luke Bacon says:

I’m trying your links for the download but still having problems – I get redirected to the Downloads home with the reason that the linkid wasn’t found, basically! The latest version according to the ‘update’ page there is 1.1…any ideas!?Cheers.

22. Luke Bacon says:

For anyone who needs it:http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/28812for Lightroom 1.3 (mac only)

23. Jeremy says:

I can’t find the upgrade to 1.3. All of the links take me to a main download page where I scroll down to find only the 1.1 upgrade available[It sounds like there may be issues reaching the page from certain geographic locations. Try updating through the application. -TH]

24. Maarten Sneep says:

The download page gives me 1.1, not 1.3. If redirects to …pageNotFound if I use the links at teh top of the page. I guess this is going to be a late friday for someone…Maarten[It’s more helpful if you provide a link to the page not working for you. -TH]

25. Scott says:

Question will the release of the SDK allow someone to write a plugin to make it easy to add a custom watermark when exporting (which I still do not understand why it was not an option from the beginning.)Looking forward to direct upload to ftp:)[Easy is a relative term Scott. Wish I had a better answer but the watermarking would need to happen via another image processor. – TH]

26. David Bee says:

I’m a newbie jumping in to the pool, so this a very basic, albeit long drawn out question. I plan to purchase next week an iMac 24″ 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 2GB mem;500GB hard drive, which will be shipped with latest version of Leopard, presumably 10.5.1. Will also soon purchase Lightroom/CS3 Photoshop Extended bundle at an educational discount reseller and was told by the sales person that LR will be the latest version. If their “latest version” turns out to be LR 1.1, will upgrading to 1.3, or even the next version, pose an upgrade problem, especially given all the back and forth going on here regarding compatibility issues with Leo 1.5 and now some with 1.5.1? Also, I already have an Apple 23″ display and plan to use the iMac as second screen separating work area from tools — any LR-specific problems with this set up? I can certainly patiently wait until the dust clears before diving in (Please excuse the mixed metaphors and lengthy post.

27. I’ve tried the links in this blog post and going straight to the Adobe website in 2 browsers and still nothing. Each time I go from the link in this post I get “http://www.adobe.com/downloads/?notFoundID=null”What gives?

28. Going via the Application brings me to the same thing. I’m on version 1.2 and when I go to Check for Updates it tells me I have 1.1 and the latest version is 1.3, I hit download and it takes me to the same link as I said before. I’m in Scotland if that’s any help.[Thanks for the details Jamie. -TH]

29. Steve says:

Tom,Thanks for the reply. It’s been a busy few weeks, I’m sure.The Print Module stopped working when I upgraded to Leopard. I found on your forums that many others had the same problem.With 1.3 on Leopard it once again loads. Thanks!

30. Steve says:

31. Maarten Sneep says:

[It’s more helpful if you provide a link to the page not working for you. -TH]When I try do go to “http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3810″, I get redirected to “http://www.adobe.com/downloads/?notFoundID=null”. This also happens after clearing my browser cache, both in Safari, and in FireFox.Maarten[Thanks Maarten, I’ll pass this info along to the right people. -TH]

32. Andrej Macko says:

Hello,the provided 1.3 update link doesn’t work for me either. I live in Switzerland, may be there is some redirect based on the IPA.When I enter this link into the browser:http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3815I get this redirect:http://www.adobe.com/downloads/?notFoundID=nullBoth from the browser and from the LR 1.1 application updater as well.Would you provide some direct FTP access or somer direct download thing?Kind Regards,Andrej

33. Nuno Sanches e Silva says:

Good morning,I have been trying to download lightroom 1.3 update for Mac but it does not appear in your webpage.

34. Just to report that Lightroom 1.3 is not available from Germany (and I’m using the English version), both from the link you posted, from the Lightroom main page (adobe.com/lightroom), or even from the application auto-update.This means I start Lightroom, get a popup announcing the new version, and then the page loaded on the browser (the same as on your post) takes me to the infamous “notfound=null”.It’s a shame for Adobe to do this “non launch” :([Bruno, I’m not sure what technical issues we’re experiencing but I’m passing the details along. Apologies for the inconvenience. -TH]

35. Jeff says:

For those of us outside the US, try the Adobe FTP site:ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/Then select the program, platform, then version folder.Worked for me.

36. Mihai Stanescu says:

Instead of the sdk i would prefer the ability to select Color space prin Develop Module (when doing something in lightroom) and also export module to export keeping the same directory structure as the catalog

37. Terence Davies says:

Tom, your windows link to Lightroom 1.3 update points to “Unknown” and every other link I’ve tried from the Adobe site and others points to the program list and when you go to Photoshop lightroom/windows update the latest one is 1.2????

38. For those still having trouble downloading, the following links that were posted on the U2U forum seem to be working for everyone:Mac:ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/mac/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_mac_1_3.dmgWindows:ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/win/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_win_1_3.exe

39. Jauder Ho says:

Tom, thanks for the followup. It certainly would be good to know if it is possible to do so with the existing SDK. I do not know Lua so I guess I’ll have to pick that up too :)I’ll see about downloading the SDK next week.As far as plugins go, I second being able to use a lens correction pluginThe 3 major plugins for me would be Lens Correction (PTLens is what I use with Photoshop), Noise Correction (Noise Ninja) nice feature would be to be able to filter on ISO to select pics for noise reduction and lastly HDR (I use Photomatix but am willing to give the Photoshop version another try).With that and maybe a pano stitching option, would make up the perfect photo editing tool.–Jauder

40. emarc says:

The “update 7/11″ win-link does not work – the text is correct, but the actual link points to “unknown:” (at least right now for me).I’ll give it a try:ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/win/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_win_1_3.exeThe mac link seems to work.The official update links still do not work…

41. Gerald says:

Are there any plans, when the multilangual (particularly the German) version of Lightroom 1.3 will be available?Gerald

42. bananaranha says:

I know it’s not your teams fault, but it has been four full days!Why can’t Adobe fix this “technical issues” regarding the downloads?It is getting silly.Here are my 0.02 cents [The Adobe Updates Saga]

43. Mariano Kamp says:

Hey Tom,could you please have a look at the link to the discussions?It worked in the beginning, but now doesn’t work for me anymore for a week already.Btw. Could you provide us with a road map for the next releases of the SDK?Can we please get the ability to query the catalog with criteria?It would also be nice to get access to the collections in order to sync them with a repository provider.To do that properly it would be great to be able to post background processes, like scheduled jobs that check remote sites for updates or for interrupted uploads etc..Will the next SDK contain the major functionality and therefore the major potential to earn money withwriting a plugin, as a sample?What are you plans for 3rd party development? Do you want to start and ecosystem around LR or “just” enable OSS plugins?Cheers,Mariano[Mariano, great list of questions. The SDK discussion forum link was broken while fixing a problem with the forum last week. The link and the forum now work correctly. I won’t be posting an SDK roadmap given that it will be driven and shaped by future developer feedback as well as strategy that I prefer remain confidential. Can you be more explicit as to what catalog information you would like to query? (Please post that on the SDK discussion forum.) Did you want collection details in the XMP sidecar file or access that information from within the database? The remaining questions deserve their own blog post but yes, we do intend to foster a Lightroom plug-in ecosystem. -TH]

44. J James says:

would be nice to see Camera raw as a plug-in and when doing an export the ability to have a tex file showing the errors like the import does not instead of just failed

45. Matt says:

Seems that 1.3 broke the export function, at least on my Mac with 10.4. In export, I select a new export location, changing either the folder or subfolder, but when I come back the next time, the changes are gone. I have to type them in again.

46. Aldis says:

How can I use a different color space ?[Aldis, your comment is a little out of context. Could you be more specific or ask in the User to User forums? http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc2cf0a/?@934.0mUnic7oPlc@ -TH]

47. Caren says:

Mac version in me departs immediately after starting. Problem in me?

48. jeyar says:

why is it that i cannot open my account of ninja saga?

49. Canadian says:

I can’t find the upgrade to 1.3

50. well worth the read.I found it very informative as I have been researching a lot lately on practical matters such as you talk about…

51. bet365 says:

I can’t upgrade, any chance I could get a link with some help, like troubleshooting?Thanks in advance!

52. Robby says:

instail ninja saga aku

53. Johnny says:

So does this mean it is safe to use Time Machine, or does that still need to be disabled while using Lightroom? I saw no mention of Time Machine in the release notes. Yahoo!

54. thank’s for sharing this!it’a great post!

55. pokeri says:

this was very useful to know. thanks.

56. pokerplus says:

informative, thanks

57. It is a positive point that Lightroom only focus on a workflow.

58. Camera Raw 4.3 is the best software for professional photo makers.

59. Excellent post, thank you very much for taking the time to share with those who are starting on the subject. Greetings

60. Wow!! I have been waiting for this. Now I can go for it.

61. x ray tech says:

62. least says:

63. There’s a bit more information on the oth

64. difficulities reaching the Lightroom download links above, please use the followin

65. The Lightroom Export SDK preview is the Lightroom product team’s first opportunity to engage the developer community. While this preview SDK functionality is limited to the Export dialog, the discussion should be expanded to include any functional area that a developer would like to build upon.fdfdfd

66. limited to the Export dialog, the discussion should be expanded to include any functional area that a developer would like to build upon.fdefd