Lightroom 1.3.1 and Camera Raw 4.3.1

Lightroom and Camera Raw will be updated to 1.3.1 and 4.3.1 respectively within the next week.  These updates provide corrections for issues introduced in the last release as well as additional Lightroom Leopard compatibility.

Camera Raw and DNG Converter 4.3.1 Update
For those experiencing the issues listed below, please update immediately to 4.3.1 using the downloads available here: Mac, Win.
The update will be available automatically via the Adobe Update Manager(AUM) within the next week.
-Compressed raw files from the Nikon D100 were read incorrectly in Camera Raw 4.3
-A possible artifact in Camera Raw 4.3 raw file support for the Olympus E-3 has been corrected

Lightroom 1.3.1 Update
[UPDATE 12/7 -
Downloads now available here: Mac, Win ]
I will post an update when Lightroom 1.3.1 is available for download within the next week. Setting Lightroom’s preference to check for updates will provide automatic notification when the update is available. The update will provide corrections for the following issues:
-The Lightroom 1.3 Print Module could previously cause the application to crash on either OS X 10.5 or 10.5.1 during template usage.
-On Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.5.1, the import process from a card reader or other device into Lightroom could fail to import all or a portion of the selected images.
-A decrease in Develop slider responsiveness introduced in Lightroom 1.3 has been corrected.
-The Lightroom 1.3 Develop module could cause the application to crash if adjustments were made in quick succession.
-Compressed raw files from the Nikon D100 were read incorrectly in Lightroom 1.3.
-A possible artifact in raw file support for the Olympus E-3 has been corrected.
-The Lightroom FTP Plug-in provided as sample code with the Export SDK did not function properly if the password was not saved with the selected FTP preset.
-Editing or creating a new FTP preset immediately prior to using the FTP plug-in provided as sample code with the Export SDK would cause the FTP process to fail.
-Using the Export as Previous option did not work with the FTP plug-in provided as sample code with the Export SDK.

Per my earlier post,
the Finder in Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.5.1 can crash when viewing files that contain Lightroom XMP Snapshot data created in the develop module.  This is an error in how the Finder reads metadata and will require an operating system update to solve. The error can be reduced for additional files going forward by modifying the Lightroom preference to *not* save Develop settings within JPEG, TIFF or PSD files. (Preferences: Catalog Settings: Metadata)

37 Responses to Lightroom 1.3.1 and Camera Raw 4.3.1

1. Shrey says:

HiAn update would be great. But nothing on the printing with profiles isssue? Is the buck going to passed to the printer drivers?I’ve copied the post I made in a previous blog entry:Since upgrading to Leopard and using Lightroom 1.3 with a HP B9180 and Canon i9950, Lightroom does not print using profiles. Photoshop and every other app I have tried prints perfectly.This is clearly an issue. In the Adobe forums, the consensus is that Lightroom is using a different path through the driver than Photoshop (and every other app) to print, therefore the printer drivers must be updated. What happens to people using older printers, like Epson 2200/2100 whose drivers will probably never be updated due to age of the printer?From reading the Adobe forums, it seems to be driver problems. Because Lightroom is the only app that does not print using profiles properly. May be it’s a Lightroom problem as it’s the only app that does not print properly. It’s not a Carbon/Cocoa issue either – I have Cocoa apps that print perfectly.So if all other apps work fine, may be Lightroom should be changed to use the same pathways as every other app, including Photoshop. Or at least given the option to use the new path (if available) or the old path.Some updates would be nice as to the progress on the outstanding issues with Lightroom 1.3 INCLUDING the printing with profiles issue.Shrey

2. baard says:

Have you contacted Apple concerning the finder crash? I also get a problem importing these files into iPhoto. Iphoto just hangs when finishing import.[Yes, we've logged this bug with Apple. -TH]

3. Any chance of reducing the amount of halos generated by the re-size on export function.I’m still having to do all my re-sizing for anything faintly important in photoshop which is a major drag…

4. iolo says:

Hello,What about time machine ? Is it safe to use it along with Lightroom ?Thanks[My previous recommendation of not running Time Machine and Lightroom at the same time still stands. Try just excluding the Lightroom catalog folder from Time Machines backup settings and backup the catalog using Lightroom's backup function. -TH]

5. Andrew Rodney says:

Tom, I think it should be made clear to readers that this finder crash isn’t a Lightroom XMP issue per say. I can crash the finder if I invoke a Command I on a JPEG that has embedded metadata in Leopard. Even JPEGs that have never been touched by LR.[Thanks Andrew. I've limited my comments to only those issues that involve Lightroom's interaction with the Finder. If Finder has other metadata parsing problems, I'll leave it to Apple to discuss them. -TH]

6. Robert Coughlin says:

Earlier posting discussed possible conflicts with OS X 10.5′s Time Machine and Lightroom. Will Lightroom 1.3.1 allow for backups to Time Machine while Lightroom is open and active?[See earlier post. -TH]

7. Eric Hanauer says:

I’ve had problems with false color on images shot with the D200. Upon opening old images I’m finding an overall magenta cast. Is this the issue you attribute to D100 files? Will the update address this issue on the D200?

8. I have noticed that when I send a photo to Photoshop and then save it back to Lightroom the Brightness slider automaticially jumps up and I have to move that back down – is this a bug that will be fixed? Where can we go to report bugs?[Report bugs here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform -TH]

9. I have noticed that when I send a photo to Photoshop and then save it back to Lightroom the Brightness slider automaticially jumps up and I have to move that back down – is this a bug that will be fixed? Where can we go to report bugs?I have reported this bug more than once on that bug report form. I really am looking forward to the day that it gets fixed..[The bug report form is the right place. There is some prioritization that takes place when deciding which bugs are fixed for each subsequent release. -TH]

10. akap says:

sounds good, glad to see lightroom improving!One question: I experience a bug in Lightroom 1.3 (also 1.2). It doesn’t affect the image files itself, but makes the adjustments “corrupt”, and in that case should be threated as a dataloss bug:The problemt occours when moving folders within Lightroom containing nikon (d200) nef+jpg files.Description of the issue is described in these threads:http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc94b01/0http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?7@@.3c051b42/3Is this a known issue? (I think I have reported the bug, but not quite sure)thanks again[Thanks Akap. If you've reported the bug then we know about it. -TH]

11. Eddie Sung says:

I had been using LR 1.3 with my D200 with no problems. I just loaded the first batch from my D300, did the usual LR / PSC3 adjustments, export to disc and wow, 88 file unable to export, LR seems to have lost the metadata info! Is this a known bug? Or did I do something stupid? Help! My client is going to kill me if I don’t deliver 88 of his photos! God, what am I to do?Desperately yoursEddie[Eddie, I would try to break your problem down into separate steps. Can you export any of those files individually? More information about your platform and machine specs might also help determine the issue. -TH]

12. I want to echo Shrey’s comments about the printing with profiles problem. There’s no mention of a fix for this in today’s 1.3.1 update. I assumed enough people were affected that someone filed a bug report, but perhaps not – I just did.Great blog, by the way. Lightroom is a great product and I’ve learned quite a bit from the posts in this blog.Thanks,Steve

13. I have to agree with the first post here. I really hope that the “Print with Profile” issue is now the top issue to resolve. Please folks, this is rather important one for a large number of us. Yes we can export and print from CS3, but it’s a rather convoluted and time-consuming workaround. How about a quick 1.3.2 update eh?

14. Frank Cano says:

Any word on the “Out of Memory Error – A2″ issue in XP? Did not see it in the fix list for 1.3.1ThanksFC[Frank, are you still seeing 'OOME' errors? Fixes in Lightroom 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 were intended to reduce the possibility that photographers would encounter that error. -TH]

15. David Naylor says:

Since I updated to version 1.3 I’ve been noticing a bug:When I’m editing the keywords of a photo (in the keyword box to the right) and hit Ctrl+Left/Right, the cursor will stay at the same position. (I.e. the cursor is postitioned seven characters in from the left, and I hit Ctrl+Left to switch to another photo, the cursor will remain at 7 characters from the left, even if the keywords are completely different.)I believe, in v1.2, the cursor used to jump to the end. Or am I just imagining that?

16. John says:

I am using windows xp and Lightroom 1.3.1. This version has changed the procedure to export to a file and to then export to a disk in the same operation. Could someone explain how it should be done with this new version? Thanks[John, I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you referring to burning to a CD or DVD? The export post-processing options are still available. -TH]

17. David Naylor says:

Doh… saw the link for bugs now.

18. Kevin Gordon says:

I posted a couple of weeks ago about problems printing with profiles. At that time there was a request for more information.Now, the latest Lightroom update has been posted, and the profiles problem is still an issue.Below is a rundown of components in my workflow. While I use an older Canon i9900 printer I have updated to the latest driver version (posted on 11/8). And while it might be easy to blame Canon and suggest that they need to update the driver even further, I have seen similar postings about the issue of Lightroom failing to print properly from profiles when the application is asked to manage the color (rather than the printer managing the color) from owners of HP and Epson printers, as well as other Canon models.My environment:iMac 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5OS X 10.5.1Lightroom 10.3.1Canon i9900 printer with latest driver 4.8.3 posted on 11/8/07Also, Adobe CS3 10.0.1First let me describe what happens when things work correctly (in PS3):In PS3 I have no difficulties using the Photoshop app to manage color. My monitor is properly profiled, and when I select “Photoshop Manages Colors” and a correct paper profile (downloaded from the paper manufacturer’s web site) I am able to produce highly accurate prints that match the screen almost exactly.But in Lightroom, when attempting to print from profiles, I am unable to produce a print that even remotely resembles what I see on the screen.Also, prior to the latest updates (to OS X Leopard and the latest Leopard update for Lightroom) the application produced beautiful prints from profiles. Rather than selecting “Managed by Printer, I simply selected the appropriate paper profile. All prints were virtually exact matches to the screen. In fact the “Print” module was one of the slickest and most compelling components of Lightroom.However, since the upgrades, Lightroom seems to be ignoring any attempt to choose profiles when printing. It doesn’t matter which “Print Settings” I select (I have tried EVERY variation), nor which profile I attempt to print with.While I can still produce acceptable prints by allowing the printer to manage color, this precludes me (and many other users) from using 3rd party paper options.It’s fair to say that most serious photographers working in a color managed environment want the application to handle the color, not the printer. But this is only possible when the application prints correctly from profiles.The Adobe team has created one of the most valuable tools on the market for photographers. We just need to get this working again for life to be perfect.

19. Matthew Lydy says:

Lightroom has really disappointed with the printer profile issue on Leopard. Adobe please address this issue. For the record I am printing to an Epson 2200.[I'll be posting a blog topic on this issue shortly. -TH]

20. Steve says:

With LR 1.2 under Tiger, I used to use pick the appropriate ICC profile under the “Print Job” area to get the best color.Now it’s all blown out and I have to use “Managed by Printer”.What happened? I’ve got the latest drivers from Epson (R1800).Aloha,Steve

21. Jason Newton says:

Hi there,Even with the latest update, there is still a slight glitch with the import dialog box using Leopard. The window is slightly clipped on the right hand side.Regards

22. Reuben Mathew says:

Is there any chance that Lightroom will in the future allow me to change the red, green and blue curves separately?This is the only feature that is making me consider buying CaptureNX instead of Lightroom.[Reuben, I typically don't discuss what features will be included in the future. Use the feature request form located on the following page and discuss how you would use the independent RGB curves.http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform-TH

23. Peterfri says:

>the Finder in Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.5.1 can crash when viewing files that contain Lightroom XMP Snapshot data created in the develop module.Another workaround is to watch the files that crash the finder in Bridge and then rightclicking choose: develop preferences>Camera Raw Standard.After that, the finder does not crash anymore previewing the file. Only little problem; also .jpg-files are then opened with the dialogue of Camera Raw. But that is no problem at all, I think.

24. pepemosca says:

Hey, I have a problem: when I try to “Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS3″, and select “Edit a Copy”… It doesn’t open in Photoshop CS3 a .PSD file: it opens a .JPG file.Is that ok? Comments?PC – Vista

25. pepemosca says:

Using an Spanish sort keyboard: How do I do the “Zoom In”?It says that I should press “Ctrl+=”, but to do that I have to press “Ctrl+Shift+0″ (because the “=” is over the “0″).Any idea how to do my “Zoom In”?Windows Vista – 1.3.1

26. pepemosca says:

Also, in the “Quick develop”, in the “white balance”: I only have “Auto, Custom and As Shoot”.Where’re the “Day, Night, etc” presets?Vista, 1.3.1Thanks![The options you mention are the only choices available for JPEG files as the true Kelvin equivalents only apply to raw files. -TH]

27. Grant Robertson says:

Hello,I just upgraded to 1.3.1 and I have lost all the presets. Is this a bug, or have I done something wrong?Thank you[ Grant, have you checked the locations described in the following article for your presets? http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333660&sliceId=2-TH

28. pepemosca says:

How do I do “Zoom In” with an Spanish Sort keyboard?The problem is that I have the “Ctrl+=” as shortcut, but to do that, I have to do “Ctrl+Shift+0″ (upper the 0 is the =)… So the keyboard shortcut doesn’t work :(Any ideas?PC-Vista-LR 1.3.1[I wish I had a better answer for you but unfortunately Lightroom does not support the Spanish language at this time.(Or Spanish language keyboards) -TH]

29. Neil says:

When I export to make special output or upload versions, I want to organize the various output files in subfolders of original folder. On the Mac, is there any way to define the export settings relative to the current folder? Thanks for a great product!I was able to manually edit the export settings files under Windows to accomplish that, but on the Mac, it didn’t work.[Thanks for the feedback Neil. -TH]

30. D Tubesing says:

The Lightroom 1.3.1 print with profile problem affects Windows XP, too. I’ve lost hours and gone through numerous ink tanks and much photopaper proving to myself that I’m NOT crazy and that Lightroom and Photoshop CS ABSOLUTELY print differently. I simply can’t get predictable, quality color when printing out of Lightroom, even though I have the equipment and software to generate my own custom printer profiles. Lightroom and Photoshop should print identically at equivalent settings, or Lightroom’s fabulous potential for workflow simplification is greatly reduced. When is Adobe planning on fixing this? It’s a huge problem . . . Thanks for any info[The Leopard printing issue is entirely unrelated to the Windows platform. Lightroom and Photoshop certainly provide different controls during the printing process but their output will match if the options are set correctly for your environment. -TH]

31. Michael Flynn says:

Hi….I too have just upgraded to 1.3.1 and I have lost all the presets. Unfortunaately I am quite nerw at this and noy completelt savvy with computer terms and proceedures. I have looked at your advice and looked at this site: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333660&sliceId=2But that confuses me. Could you please help me here and tell me in plain english how i can find my presets. Where do i find this information. And what do I do once I have found this? Sorry to appear dumb but as i have saidd I am quite new to all of this and am stressing right now. Thank youMike

32. Karl says:

10.5.2 is here.anybody tested?Karl

33. FrankW says:

It looks like Apple has solved the finder crash issue (if Lightroom changes metadata) with Leopard 10.5.2. Could someone please confirm this? Thanks!

34. Karl says:

now I could confirm that the problems dissapeared with 10.5.2.i works for me so far.Greets.Karl

35. Neil says:

Still looking for a way to tell Lightroom Mac to save in a subfolder of the current images folder. I’m sure there must be some way to set export_destinationPathPrefix to the “current” directory like you can on the PC. Can someone help?

36. Stephen says:

Since upgrading to LR 1.3.1 (PC) I cannot use printer profiles to print directly from LR. The program will only let me use the “Managed By Printer” option.When I try to use the “other” printer profile choice, it shows me my custom print profiles in a pop up window, but when I try to choose one nothing happens. I am still left with “Managed by printer” as my only option.These same printer profiles were working perfectly before I “upgraded” to LR 1.3.1!I am using an Epson 1280 on Windows XP.

37. Anne says:

Any advice on how to ensure that Nikon RAW images are handled similarly to Nikon Jpg’s by lightroom. I just had a long discussion with a fellow Nikon owner, as we were finding that Lightroom handles the RAW images differently to the JPG images…and yet with CaptureNX, both types of images hold their integrity. Lightroom, on the other hand, seems to underexpose and dull nikon RAW images.I definitely prefer my Lightroom to any other editing software, but on this one point, Lightroom just isn’t delivering.Any advice of additional p;ug-in for Nikon RAW images would be most welcome!!Thanks.PS – I’m a D300 owner and I was talking to a D50 owner…[Anne, check out the profiles that are available from Adobe Labs. I think they'll make you much happier. -TH]