Lightroom 1.4.1 and Camera Raw 4.4.1

The Lightroom 1.4.1 and Camera Raw 4.4.1 updates have been posted to the following locations: Lightroom(Mac, Win), Camera Raw(Mac, Win).  The updates provide all of the changes included in the original Lightroom 1.4 and Camera Raw 4.4 releases but also include corrections for issues described below and in previous blog posts.  The Camera Raw plug-in will also be available later this evening via the Adobe Update Manager and the Lightroom update can be located by choosing ‘Check for Updates…’ under the Help menu.
The Lightroom and Camera Raw team apologize for any inconveniences caused by the issues presented in the initial updates

Lightroom

• Lightroom 1.4 incorrectly modified the EXIF time date field of images that had a metadata update applied.  This incorrect modification does not appear in Lightroom or Bridge and is only viewable through third party EXIF tools.  This error has been corrected in Lightroom 1.4.1 and all files in a Lightroom catalog that have been incorrectly modified will be corrected on their next metadata update. (Metadata can be updated by selecting the files in the Library grid view and choosing Command or CTRL + S to save and update the metadata.)
  • Olympus JPEG files could render incorrectly in Lightroom 1.4, displaying an artifact in the exported file.
  • Any conversion to DNG in Lightroom 1.4 (Windows Only) would cause the DNG file to become unreadable by Lightroom’s Develop Module or Camera Raw 4.4 in Photoshop.  The issue has been corrected and files can be converted to DNG again in order to resolve the issue for existing files.  Returning to the original native raw files is not necessary.  The affected DNG files can be selected and converted again using the DNG Converter 4.4.1 available at www.adobe.com/dng/.  This process is not required but recommended to ensure that a correct validation value is stored within the DNG files.
  • Lightroom 1.4 provided degraded import performance relative to Lightroom 1.3.

Camera Raw

• Camera Raw 4.4 incorrectly modified the EXIF time date field of images that were saved as TIFF or JPEG files from the Camera Raw dialog.  This has been corrected in Camera Raw 4.4.1
  • Olympus JPEG files could render incorrectly in Camera Raw 4.4, displaying an artifact in the exported file.

50 Responses to Lightroom 1.4.1 and Camera Raw 4.4.1

1. yellowdog says:

Hmmmm…before i actually update, I am going to wait a while and NOT have files trashed by it, as happened with 1.4.Call it a complete lack of faith, but as a pro, the phrase “class action” certainly crossed my mind…Not good enough, Mr. Adobe. You charge a premium, now deliver![Yellowdog, absolutely zero files were 'trashed' by Lightroom 1.4. An incorrect date value was written to an EXIF field. The correct value is easily entered by just upgrading to Lightroom 1.4.1. We moved quickly to remove Lightroom 1.4 because we believe that writing incorrect data is a significant error but lets not mistake that for risking the integrity of your files or image data. -TH]

2. Kubiksovs says:

“Lightroom 1.4 provided degraded import performance relative to Lightroom 1.3″Degraded? WTF?[The import process unintentionally slowed down with the original Lightroom 1.4 release. This has been corrected in Lightroom 1.4.1. -TH]

3. Cezary says:

Tom,Can you just clarify for the paranoid among us. Are there ANY circumstances whatsoever under which Lightroom 1.4.1 would modify an RAW file?Cezary[As with all previous versions of Lightroom, if you modify the date/time captured in Lightroom and choose to save the metadata to the files, we will update the EXIF field in the raw file to reflect your changes. This is done for compatibility with third party applications. There was some very clear feedback that this should be optional going forward but it's a significant architectural change and not possible for a 'double-dot' release. -TH]

4. bas says:

thank you for the quick resolution of the known problems. The update was a piece of cake. Btw did I mention that I love Lightroom on my Mac!!Keep up the good work, looking forward to the 2.0 release.[Thanks Bas. -TH]

5. Horay!!!I am going to download new version!Don’t forget to make a backup of your catalog. :)

6. Photo_op says:

“as a Pro”…no harm….NO Foul!Thanks Tom & TEAM!

7. Dick Kenny says:

They say you only remember the good things in life – and all I can remember of this whole episode is that after D+1 of 1.4.1 I can once again print directly from LR to my R800 via Leopard. So thank you and well done.

8. Chuck says:

It would be a great thing if the next free update to us V1.4 users is to Version 2.0.A gift for us early Lightroom adopters… :-)

9. John C says:

Thanks for your efforts with Lightroom 1.4.1. However, following the update (1.4.1, Windows), a number of jpg images in my library will not display correctly and cannot be opened in the developer. Following the update these give the message ‘Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo’.Downgrading to 1.3.1 brings them all back.Help!

10. Jon says:

I think there is an issue with 1.4.1 when importing jpeg+nef images into LR 1.4.1. The .jpg’s are visible in the filmstrip and not the NEF files. Previously in LR 1.3.1 you are viewing the NEF files ONLY in the film strip. Something changed. When I reverted back to LR 1.3.1 the images imported and displayed the correct NEF ONLY images in the film strip.Am I missing something? How do you make it so the NEF Fles are only showing and not JPG’s?

11. Dan Vomastek says:

A ‘class action’ lawsuit over this? Somebody needs a life….

12. Tom Page says:

Ignore the ridiculous scare-mongering by people – as you say, the integrity of the images was never at question with 1.4.The only trouble I had with this was that after installation I had version 1.3 and version 1.4.1 on my machine. I couldn’t uninstall 1.3, although all the old program files remained in the:c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.3folder. I’ve just deleted this entry, and 1.4.1 seems to work fine.

13. Michael says:

Looking forward to trying the update. Unfortunately, the download site has been inaccessible all afternoon (Saturday). Is this a sign that we may have to wait for another “update” to 1.4 or is this just two departments not talking to one another? Was surprised to see the site unavailable so shortly after the new and much anticipated release of LR become available…[I'll see if I can find out why the update was unavailable for some individuals. -TH]

14. Thanks Tom and Team.Unfortunately the download area for LightRoom 1.4.1 (and Camera Raw 1.4.1) is temporarily unavailable and has been almost since the announcement.I don’t suppose you can give the server a kick from your end, please.[It's available now. I'm looking into why there was a problem. -TH]

15. Ross Harris says:

Tom, thanks for the new update. I’m not clear if I have to update Camera Raw, or if LIghtroom contains the latest Camera Raw.[Lightroom updates the Camera Raw code independently of the plug-in so the Camera Raw 4.4.1 update is not required for Lightroom customers. -TH]

16. Jay S. says:

Tom,I appreciated the way Adobe handled pulling back 1.4. I never made the jump, choosing to stay on 1.3.1 until I saw the forum reaction. While not the same magnitude the forums are now reporting different types of issues with 1.4.1, some mentioned in conjunction with the Mac (my main LR platform). Do you and the team have any read on some of the items being reported on 1.4.1? There seem to be hits on Print (Magenta and settings), unexpected shotudowns, etc. I want to get there, but need stability. Any thoughts? Thanks.Jay S.[Jay, I've seen some very isolated reports but we'll look into them. I would recommend moving forward with Lightroom 1.4.1. -TH]

17. Frederic Meheus says:

I worked with Lightroomversions starting from 1.1 to 1.2 and 1.3.1 without problems (some minor bugs) But now with 1.4.1, Lightroom crashes without reason and two JPEG’s can not be opened anymore. even after overwriting and reimporting the JPEG’s from a backupCD. Is there a serious problem with LR 1.4.1?[There aren't any serious known issues regarding Lightroom 1.4.1 and JPEGs but I'll look into it. -TH]

18. Peter Facey says:

Perhaps you remember Nov 17th 2007 when it became apparent that the posted links to the Lightroom 1.3 update did not work. (see your post here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2007/11/lightroom_13_the_export_sdk_pr.html )Well, guess what. Exactly the same problem exists with the update links for Lighroom 1.4.1, i.e. a false message saying “site temporarily unavailable”.I’m sorry, but I’m beginning to despair of Adobe. What possible excuse can there be for this action replay of last November’s problem?[Peter, I've asked our web production team to look into the problem and the issue you're experiencing doesn't seem to be a repeat of the November issue or any problem that we can easily reproduce. I'd like you to send me details via email. -TH]

19. Rob Sim says:

.. still no access to the download site for 1.4.1 “Site Area Temporarily Unavailable”, what’s going on?[Rob, I have the web team looking into this but it does seem to be a very isolated problem. Let me know if these direct links work for you in the interim:Mac: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/mac/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_mac_1_4_1.dmgWin: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/win/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_win_1_4_1.exe-TH

20. Norman Hedge says:

HiI have been trying to to download this upgrade since last Saturday. At first I was unable to access the site at all but then, when I get to it andpress “download” it sits there for about 5 min and then gives a screen saying:- “We’re sorry, the site area you’ve requested is unavailable due to scheduled maintenance. Please try again later”Have reached this about 6 timesGreat Programme – terrible support![Norman, I have the web team looking into this but it does seem to be a very isolated problem. Let me know if these direct links work for you in the interim:Mac: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/mac/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_mac_1_4_1.dmgWin: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/win/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_win_1_4_1.exe-TH

21. Colin R Whitfield says:

The message saying ‘site temporarily unavailable due to maintenance’ has been happening to me here in the UK since 11th April.[Colin, I have the web team looking into this but it does seem to be a very isolated problem. Let me know if these direct links work for you in the interim:Mac: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/mac/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_mac_1_4_1.dmgWin: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/lightroom/win/1.x/LTRM_WWEFG_win_1_4_1.exe-TH

22. Chris Eason says:

Can someone from the Lightroom Team at Adobe tell us whether Lightroom is able to fully exploit all four cores on a quad core system?[Yes, for the image processing heavy lifting Lightroom will utilize up to 8 cores. -TH]

23. Renné says:

I see the colors of my canon cr2 files are finally color correct!(you know the orange reds and the mustard skin tonens)many thanks albeit late.

24. Norman Hedge says:

HiTried your link (The windows version) but it returns “Web page not found”For the record I too am in the UK – is this an area specific problem?Very concerned about Chris Eason post – this would be a disasterCheersNorman

25. Laurence Rosier says:

Does the stack function work with LR 1.4.1?[Not sure what part of stacking wasn't working for you. -TH]

26. rick says:

hi, i downloaded 1.4.1 trial version, and when i select numerous images in “develop” mode and make changes, it only affects the first image.i thought it was just my PC but i tried it on a second PC and found the same problem.in bridge, i could select numerous images and make changes on all of them.i have a feeling it’s a bug… how else would i do global changes on, for example contrast and brightness (which it sets automatically to 50 and 25 respectively for a nikon D3)please help! thanks.[When you have multiple images selected in the develop module, CTRL/CMD click on Sync and it will become auto sync. This will apply the change to all images. -TH]

27. Dave Morris says:

Just for the record – your direct link worked first time – so I now have the update. ThanksI have been getting the “temporarily unavailable” message ever since the release and just assumed it was busy. Not so ‘very isolated’ I think.

28. Gary Rowe says:

Just reinstalled 1.4 after a disk problem that necessitated a full reinstall of XP, all went fine, relinked all pictures to new locations etc. without a hitch. Upgraded to 1.4.1 and now the program crashes every few minutes …[Gary, are you working with JPEG files? If yes, what type? Direct from the camera? -TH]

29. Tony Scott says:

I installed V1.4.1, deleted one catalog entry and tried to re-install those pics.It had an error during the catalog creation and closing it down and restarting had no effect – still stuck trying to load the pics.Had to uninstall and revert to 1.3.

30. Troy Folger says:

I also upgraded to 1.4.1 and now consistently crash when attempting to import new photos.I was also crashing almost immediately upon launching the 1.4.1 application, but that got better after I killed the Photoshop Elements ‘import-detection’ startup process. This same technique does not solve the 1.4.1 import problems.I guess I’m learning a hard lesson – don’t update immediately. Any word on a 1.4.2 release?

31. My problem is going between modes in 1.4.1. If I develop an image and try to go back to the library it says an unexpected error. I am working with files from a Canon Rebel XTi and I did not have this problem in 1.3. Is this similar to what others are experiencing?

32. Thierry S. says:

Exact same problem as mentioned above with the download through the regular link. I’m in France, may be a mirroring issue for all European users? (that would indeed make it very isolated ;)).Thanks for the links, it worked.T.

33. John Wearing says:

Along with many others, it seems, I cannot download 1.4.1 I get the message that the site is unavailable due to site maintenance. I have tried the direct link but that doesn’t work either.

34. Peter B says:

Just for the record, I’m also in the UK and had no problem with downloading 1.4.1 from the original link; and no problem with importing files (Canon .CR2). So I’m happy anyway!PB

35. Tim Williams says:

Tom:Recently I’ve tried both the 4.40.79 and 4.4.1 ACR updates to run with PS CS3. I realized the first update was recalled after I reported a bug in converting from RGB mode to Lab mode in CS3: the image turns all black. Reverting back to vers. 3.7 of ACR fixes the problem. I was told by Adobe to try vers. 4.4.1 of ACR instead. Guess what? The problem (bug) persists in this newest version of ACR as well. Is anyone at Adobe aware of this? It seems like an important issue. I’m sticking with ACR vers. 3.7 for now.Thanks – Tim[Tim, I'm afraid you lost me. Lab mode doesn't relate to Camera Raw. Are you reverting from CS3 to CS2? Again, the issues you're experiencing sound independent of Camera Raw. -TH]

36. Lauren says:

I finally decided to try this “miracle” piece of software I’d heard so much about. I downloaded 1.4.1 last night and was in love after only playing with it for 10 minutes. I played for 5 hours last night processing a wedding(trial version, already having decided to buy – but through my Grad School’s software department). I finally decided that I needed to go to sleep. After work today, I run back home to finish the processing of the wedding RAW files that are due next Saturday, to find that I now get “Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Lightroom has encountered a problem and needs to close.” errors whenever I try to flag a photo, look at a photo in Library, switch to Develop, basically look at the software the wrong way. I cleaned my registry, restarted, and now I’d love to download the trial of 1.3 so that I can finish my work.I have now decided maybe it’s best if I DON’T purchase this software. I’m begining to really worry about it’s stability… Google searches for answers only prove that I am not alone in this mistrust of the software. Not a good feeling…[Lauren it sounds like you may be running out of hard drive space or have a corrupt catalog file. (Try running the optimize catalog file in the preferences) - TH]

37. Norman Hedge says:

Finally managed to upgrade to 1.4.1. All seems to be working OK now.ThanksNorman[Glad to hear it Norman. -TH]

38. Howell Yee says:

Hi,I just upgraded to Lightroom 1.4.1. Now Lightroom is crashing when try to import viaFile->Import Photos From Disk…This functionality worked fine before I upgraded to 1.4.1?I’ve used this functionality numerous times before so I have not changed my process.Please help.[Howell, are you importing JPEG files or raw files? Can you open those files in another raw converter? -TH]

39. karen says:

After what happened with the first update, I decided to wait awhile to update again. I have a U.S. Lightroom on a German operating system with win Vista. Has anyone had problems with this? Since there seems to be an issue with Europeans, I am reluctant to update but as I am about to buy a new camera, I will need the new raw converter.

40. Nick N says:

Since upgrading to Lightroom 1.4.1 I am getting out of memory errors when printing single or multiple photographs and requested to close the application, this has also become apparent in Photoshop CS2 when opened from within Lightroom. I’m using an Epson R2400 with Epson paper profiles from Lightroom or CS2. All prints are from RAW Nikon D200 generated files.Has anybody come across this problem?

41. no problem with 1.3 or before, upgraded to 1.4.1 then constant program crash on both XP pro sp2 AND Vista Home Premium Sp1 (brand new laptop) Hugely frustrated as when I remove and reinstall whatever registry data left behind causes program to still crash..crash is evident as a “an unknown error …” message comes at top of screen, then program gets all buggy, in Vista I get the error message then it completely stops and won’t “boot” up. I find this highly frustrating and I’ve an entire wedding season planned around using LR for my workflow, a suitable workaround isn’t obvious to me at this juncture and I smell a patch in the future before I upgrade to LR 1.4.2 or 2.0 Love the idea of the product but would really appreciate Adobe taking a more proactive role in this.Daniel[Have you provided more details through a bug report Daniel? http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform -TH}

42. Tom Fenwick says:

Anyone know of any strange behaviour in the print dialogue when viewed through 1.4.1 on OSX Leopard? I can create custom paper types fine this way with 1.3.1, but my colleague here can create them over and over again but they never appear in the paper types drop down. If he creates one via CS3 it works ok, but he still can’t see it via Lightroom. Weird.Tom

43. Vaughn Allington says:

i can not download the camera raw 4.4.1 update – the page is either unavailable or when i do get through to the download page the download just hangs. i have tried a number of times over the past month but with no joy. I noticed you gave a direct link to the lightroom update – can you please provide one for the camera raw update[Vaughn, have you tried running the 'Update...' option in the Photoshop Help menu? -TH]

44. Tim Williams says:

Tom: Sorry, just now read your reply to my April 23 post re problems with RGB to LAB conversion in CS3. The problem seems to relate to what version of ACR is used to process the image before moving into CS3. With any vers. 4 ACR when I open later in CS3 and convert to LAB, the image appears all black. Raw processing with vers. 3.7 ACR then opening in CS3 gives no problem with the LAB conversion. I’ve tried this several times, and each time the same thing happens. This is actually documented on the web but I can’t remember the URL – Google for something like “LAB conversion in CS3 gives black image”. Any ideas why?? I’d like to update ACR but I can’t with this problem.Thanks, Tim[Tim, Lab conversions in Photoshop CS2(ACR3.7) and CS3(ACR4) are going to be largely unrelated to the raw processing stage of the workflow. -TH]

45. justin says:

hello,i am using an intel core 2 duo 1.83 ghz. osx 10.4.11. i use a canon 350d and a sandisk imagemate 12 in 1. i use the raw image format.i just upgraded from the original lightroom to version 1.4.1. that is the only change i have made to the set up in about a year. i have recently lost many uploads to “corrupt data”. restarting my computer will solve the problem briefly but the problem occurs again after a few uploads. afterwards the images on the card are completely ruined and can no longer be viewed by the camera.version 1.4.1 also seems to have issues switching back to the library module from develop. the first time i get an error message and the second i get through.

46. justin says:

i have reverted to version 1.3.1 since. i still experience the same issue. though i believe that i have narrowed down the source. i’m not totally sure yet but it seems as though lightroom will upload fine if it recognizes the memory card before i attempt to upload.before if a card didn’t show up in lightroom i would eject and reinsert the card. recently i started to use the ‘upload from device’ from the menu. it worked a couple times but now seems to corrupt the data.after a “corrupted/upload from device” upload i took a new set of pictures and removed and inserted the card till lightroom recognized it. they uploaded fine.

47. Marc Englund says:

Reporting in: LR 1.4.1 _still_ not available in Finland, Europe. I get the download page w/ info, but clicking the actual download button yields a “temporarily unavailable” page.IMO that could safely be changed to “permanently unavailable, please move somewhere else if you want the updates” at this point.Great product aside from the updates, though![Marc, try logging out and logging back in with your Adobe ID. -TH]

48. Robert says:

FILE PREVIEWING PROBLEMAfter i have imported my Canon 40D raw files (sRGB) from my CF card into my Lightroom 1.4.1 library and i begin reviewing the files, i notice that each photo will render a preview for about 1 second that differs from the final “rendering”. Unfortunately, 90% of the time, i prefer the first version to the final version.What’s gives? How can i prevent this from happening? Does Lightroom 2.0 fix this problem?[Your raw files were interpreted in the camera to a certain style of output. Lightroom interprets them differently. Install the profiles posted on Adobe Labs and you'll be able to choose to keep the images looking like they did on the back of the camera. http://labs.stage.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles -TH]

49. Chas says:

Does LR 1.4.1 read 7D raw files?