Lightroom 2.1 Available on Adobe Labs

A release candidate of Lightroom 2.1 is now available on Adobe Labs.  The ‘release candidate’ label indicates that this release is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing to validate the corrections and changes included in this update. The Lightroom team would like the community to help verify the quality of Lightroom 2.1 through normal usage as this will ensure that the application is tested on a diversity of hardware and software configurations not available internally at Adobe.
The goal of this release is to address bugs that were introduced with the release of Lightroom 2.0 and provide additional camera raw support. A comprehensive list of issues fixed in this release is provided on Adobe Labs. If you experience any issues with this release please report them on our User to User forums or through the bug report form.
The Lightroom team would like to thank all of the photographers on the Lightroom User to User forum who helped provide constructive insight into the issues that we have fixed in this release.
The camera support added in this release is identical to the support provided in the recent Camera Raw 4.6 update:

• Fuji Finepix IS Pro
  • Nikon D700
  • Nikon D90
  • Nikon Coolpix P6000

See my blog post for additional details on preliminary raw support for newer camera models.

13 Responses to Lightroom 2.1 Available on Adobe Labs

1. clvrmnky says:

The link to fixed issues on Adobe Labs yields “Access Denied.”[Sorry about that clvrmky. It has been corrected. -TH]

2. Jani says:

Is Lightroom compatible with Time Machine yet or do you still recommend excluding the Lightroom catalog from TM backups?[I still recommend excluding the Lightroom catalog from Time Machine backups. -TH]

3. Ah ha! They fixed the “The “Any Searchable Field” search option did not find caption text.”I was just doing a search through my photographs from Ghana and it wasn’t finding things. I just gave up and dug through the folders manually thinking it was something stupid on my part. Sure enough… a bug!I’m so glad Adobe stays on top of these things for us.

4. John Young says:

The LR2.1 RC would be even better if I could get it to install! I receive an error message (2753) telling me that the file pxsetup.exe insn’t marked for install.Until this is fixed I’ll be unable to comment o the improvements …[I wasn’t aware that we had a file with that name as part of our installer. I would try downloading a fresh copy of the Lightroom 2.1 installer and possibly uninstalling Lightroom 2.0 first. -TH]

5. David Littlejohn says:

Both LR 2.0 and LR 2.1rc produce incorrect printed output to my Epson 2200 printer when I use output sharpening. The same photo prints fine out of LR 1.3 and PS CS3. I think this is a LR bug. How do I go about reporting it to the right people? Thanks.[Bug reports go here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform Thanks, -TH]

6. Ken Deemer says:

Gee, I was hoping to see a fix for the performance issues (Macbook Pro w 4G of RAM, running in 64 Bit mode). But when trying to use the Adjustment Brush, just moving one of the effect sliders takes 5 seconds or more to respond. No improvement at all![Ken, I use that same configuration on a daily basis and have never seen performance that bad.(I typically work on 1Ds Mk III files) Have you tried optimizing your catalog? Do you have your catalog stored on a drive that is close to full or slower than 7200 RPM? That being said, it’s still an area we’re looking to improve in the future as noted on the Adobe Labs site. -TH]

7. Erik says:

2.1 does seem to crash less often in the Development module on my PC. (Which is greatly appreaciated) it is still slow though, compared to all of the other apps on my machine.Lightroom version: 2.1 RC1 [508271 Beta 1]Operating system: Windows Vista Home Edition Service Pack 1 (Build 6001)Version: 6.0 [6001]Application architecture: x86System architecture: x86Physical processor count: 2Processor speed: 2.4 GHzBuilt-in memory: 3581.6 MBReal memory available to Lightroom: 1228.8 MBReal memory used by Lightroom: 374.1 MB (30.4%)Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 361.8 MBMemory cache size: 36 MBSerial Number: 116040099493498636733348Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2Library Path: C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Lightroom Backups\2008-08-13 2109\Lightroom Database-2.lrcat

8. Neil Shapiro says:

I just upgraded to a D90, which forced me to move to 2.1RC1.Problems:1) I can no longer access the GREAT beta calibration profiles that worked in 2.0. I tried reinstalling them, to no avail.2) This was also true of 2.0: The custom rename editor DISCARDS spaces you insert between fields. They work if you edit them into the XML files, but you can’t use the user interface if you want spaces to separate out the metadata fields used in the name.[Neil, to your first item, calibrations are camera specific so we do not have any profiles for the D90 at this point. Have you posted your second item to the DNG discussion forums? That’s the location for feedback on bugs/feature requests for the DNG Profile Editor. -TH]

9. Brad says:

Will this fix the issue of the LR2 Photo > Edit to > (Photomerge, HDR, etc) options being grayed out when used with CS3?[Brad, Edit in Photoshop is one area that has been addressed by the release candidate. -TH]

10. mitch Patel says:

I am having same problems as David Littlejohn, But I was also told by Adobe Tech that it might be caused by Video card (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT) Is this true and how do I fix the same problem?[Turn off the NVIDIA desktop manager. -TH]

11. Dave Price says:

I don’t buy this ‘nVidia problem’ line at all.I have the latest certified drivers (15th October 08) for my GeForce 6600 running XP SP3 on fully up to date with 4Gigs of installed RAM on a twin AMD64 setup.LR 1.4 was fine.LR 2.0 and 2.1 are unusable – not just the adjustment and grad tools but the standard exposure/vibrance sliders etc. are lagging like mad.However using Camera Raw 4.6 on CS3 shows *no lag whatsoever*. Fully usable.The problem is in the LR2 code for sure.

12. Mark Rychel says:

The fine adjustment that was available on version 2 by putting your cursor on the slider and using the wheel on the mouse does not work on 2.1

13. Bill Cooper says:

Like Mitch Patel and others LR 2 and 2.1 are unusable. LR 1.X works just fine. So what’s real issue?