Lightroom 2.2 Now Available

Lightroom 2.2 is now available on Adobe.com. (Mac, Win)  The release includes new camera support for the following models:

• Canon EOS 5D Mark II
  • Canon PowerShot G10
  • Panasonic DMC-G1**
  • Panasonic DMC-FX150**
  • Panasonic DMC-FZ28**
  • Panasonic DMC-LX3**
  • Leica D-LUX 4**

We’ve also fixed a few bugs that were introduced with the Lightroom 2.0 release:

Lightroom 2 Bugs – Fixed

• Images rendered from the Slideshow export process produced a jagged effect on hard edges relative to the quality of normal JPEG export
  • Increased the number of characters allowed in Web gallery labels beyond 150 characters
  • Catalogs with hundreds of root (top level) folders caused very slow launch times
  • Drag and drop to move a subfolder to a different folder showed the incorrect photos in the grid
  • Print Sharpening produced edge artifacts in certain conditions
  • Density defaulted to 100 percent for initial stroke regardless of position of slider
  • The  Adjustment brush created blocky, straight edges to brush strokes under certain conditions
  • Lightroom could become unresponsive when using the graduated filter under certain conditions
  • It was possible to lose the ability to edit an adjustment brush setting after applying a graduated filter with hidden pins
  • Turning auto-mask on produced a lag in Lightroom performance in when applying the adjustment brush
  • Print to JPEG functionality produced a low resolution image when printing photos with panorama aspect ratios
  • Extended characters in a folder name caused Edit in Photoshop functionality to fail
  • Smart collection did not respond to changes in custom metadata

Lightroom 2 Enhancements

• Camera profiles are now available in the Calibration panel in the Develop module.  These profiles are designed to provide different interpretations of raw capture.

**With the release of Camera Raw 5.2 (and upcoming Lightroom 2.2 release) there is an important exception in our DNG file handling for the Panasonic DMC LX3, Panasonic DMC FX150, Panasonic DMC FZ28, Panasonic DMC-G1 and Leica D-LUX 4. In this release the native, proprietary files from these cameras can only be converted to linear DNG files. A linear DNG file has gone through a demosaic process that converts a single mosaic layer of red, green and blue channel information into three distinct layers , one for each channel. The resulting linear DNG file is approximately three times the size of a mosaic DNG file or the original proprietary file format.

This exception is a temporary solution to ensure that Panasonic and Leica’s intended image rendering from their proprietary raw file format is applied to an image when converted DNG files are viewed in third party software titles. The same image rendering process is applied automatically in Camera Raw 5.2 and in Lightroom 2.2 when viewing the original proprietary raw file format.

In a future release Adobe plans to update the DNG specification to include an option to embed metadata-based representations of the lens compensations in the DNG file, allowing a mosaic DNG conversion. In the interim Adobe recommends only converting these files to DNG to allow compatibility with third party raw converters, previous versions of the Camera Raw plug-in or previous versions of Lightroom.

33 Responses to Lightroom 2.2 Now Available

1. Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață says:

Tom,the auto-mask bug is listed twice. Is it going to be twice as fast now? :)[Obviously there were multiple bugs filed against that one issue so I referenced both of them. (Removed one of them) -TH]

2. Sir,You probably heard this question a million times by now, so please forgive me, BUT can you comment on when we get to see a tethered shooting option in LR?[Jon, I generally don't speculate on the availability of future functionality. -TH]

3. jesse says:

Question: Does the latest Lightroom play nicely with Time Machine. Previous versions didn’t, as I understood things, so I excluded Lightroom databases from Time Machine backups.Many thanks for any guidance.(apols if this is the wrong place to ask. i dont see this addressed in posts about features/fixes etc in 2.x versions)[Answers to these kinds of questions about third party compatibility, etc can be found in our community help: http://community.adobe.com/help/search.html?searchterm=Time+Machine&q=Time+Machine&lbl=lightroom_product_adobelr&x=0&y=0&area=&lr=en-us&hl=en_US A quick search reveals a few good resources and recommendations such as the following thread: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?s=5574af42566e7a0743119512e33d6ff7&showtopic=28498&pid=228831&st=0&#entry228831 The Lightroom Community Help can be quite powerful so please look there first. -TH]

4. Andrew Smith says:

The fix for moving photographs between subfolders is greatly appreciated!

5. Ken Cameron says:

The improvements to the graduated filter and adjustment brush are most welcome.

6. Ben Lawson says:

Has anyone yet complained (like I am) that Lightroom seems to be twice as slow in general? Immediately after the update things slowed to a crawl. I even had the image turn to solid gray (like the background) while editing 1:1 with the adjustment brush. I had to rebuild the catalog to make this stop happening.Anyone else with this type of issue?

7. Claudius says:

@ Ben.a bit. what i noticed so far is that the used memory is blown up like hell. just edited one image, some wb, some graduate filters, etc. and suddenly lightroom hat about 1.2gb ram used! much more than ever before… will have an eye on that one and let you know as soon as i know more!

8. Peter says:

When I was using 2.1 I could use the adjustment brush (although it was slow), but now with 2.2 the image disappears and the program even crashes.I am on Windows SP3.

9. Tom Lowe says:

I can’t even install 2.2- I get an error message “Error 2753. The file ‘pxsetup.exe’ is not marked for installation.” then the installer exits. I’m trying to install into XP Sp3. I’ve re-downloaded the intall file from Adobe’s site 3 times, thinking it might be a glitch, with the same result. what is my problem?

10. Wayne Bundrick says:

I just installed the 2.2 update and now the auto button in the tone section is causing everything to be way too overexposed with white clipping galore. In 2.1 I could count on it to consistently work well, but now it’s so far off that I have to Undo it.

11. jesse says:

TH,Re my question about Lightroom/Time Machine:Thanks for the forum link. I’ve looked and don’t see the answer to my question: Is it still necessary in Lightroom 2.x to tell Time Machine to exclude certain Lightroom files, as Adobe reps recommended in 1.x versions. (I own version 1.4)This seems a question Adobe should answer definitively. Backup is fundamentally important. In addition, Time Machine isn’t “third party software” — it’s a functionality of the Apple operating system.Is the answer to my question in a Lightroom manual or FAQ online? If so, I’ll gladly look there if someone can steer me to it.Many thanks,Jesse

12. Magnus says:

Why is 2.2 installation files the double size of 2.1?[Good question Magnus. We do track these things closely but the inclusion of the new camera profiles required that we increase the size of the installer. -TH]

13. Bill Sumner says:

after installing 2.2, my library of 37k images was not available. it was as though i had never used v2 or any other version[Bill, look at this article to understand how to work with catalogs. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/2.0/WSBED0E080-63AF-4ba4-ACCF-EC48C4F92D6D.html Your catalog is available but apparently Lightroom doesn't see it by default. Just find your original catalog file and double click. -TH]

14. Enzo says:

I seem to have lost the linkto the Adobe PS image processor batch handler in Lightroom is there a fix or a way to get it back ??regardsEnz

15. HelloI have used lightroom 2 in combination with Photoshop CS3 for some time now. I work with the canon 5D and recently the 5D mark2 and the powershot G10.I wasn’t thinking of upgrading to Photoshop CS4, because I use Lightroom as my RAW converter and was waiting for the 2.2 upgrade. Most editing is done in Lightroom, but occasionally I need to do some selective editing and import a photo to CS3 using the “edit in” function in Lightroom. My standard setting is to open the file in photoshop as a 16 bit TIFF.I have worked this way with my 5D and was expecting to work the same with the new cameras after the update to Lightroom 2.2 …But to my surprice Photoshop will not load the 5D mark2 and Powershot G10 files from Lightroom 2.2. Even though they are supposed to be opened in photoshop as TIFF files. Is this a bug or is Adobe forcing me to upgrade to Photoshop CS4? CS3 was perfectly fine for me up to now…Kind regards,Johannes Abelingwww.abeling.nl[For raw file formats that were not supported prior to Photoshop CS4 and Camera Raw 5.2, Lightroom 2.2 needs to render the images to a TIFF or PSD file prior to opening them in Photoshop CS3. The Edit in Photoshop experience for your G10 and 5D Mk II files will provide you with an opportunity to set TIFF as your file type when opening those files in CS3. But in order to utilize the Smart Object or other Photoshop integration features, you must use a version of Photoshop and the Camera Raw plug-in that is compatible with the raw files that you are working with. The G10 and 5D Mk II files are a good example of cameras too new for the Lightroom/Photoshop integration features to work with Photoshop CS3. -TH]

16. Matt Molnar says:

Is there a way to print different images on one picture package?[No, the picture package functionality is designed to print a single image in different sizes. -TH]

17. Bob Black says:

I downloaded LR 2.2 to LR 2.1 and it didn’t work. The catalog was not there, a box popped up saying there was an error attempting to change modules.I can’t reverse the situation. can someone help in this matter.Thanks Bob Black

18. Bob Black says:

Adobe ITAfter installing 2.2 all I get is a grey area where the interface should be, no panels and when I click on the module, a box drops down and says ,”an error occurred when attempting to change modules”.How can I go back to 2.1 with everything intac?This is an add on to my last comment.ThanksBob Black

19. Reinhard says:

After installing the update 2.2 Lightroom will not move from ‘library’ module to ‘develop’ module. System hangs. Shutting down only via ‘Task Manager’. In Task Manager I see ‘Lightroom Catalog …’ twice.Shutting down the system only via press and hold the power on switch for five seconds.De-installing 2.2 and building up from 2.0 (original disc) to 2.1 does NOT solve the problem. Investment into Lightroom a complete failure up tp now.System, XP SP3 up to date. Dual Core (1,8 MHz) processor, 2 GB memory.Any ideas, please?

20. jesse says:

TH: Other questions got answered but not the TM one, so I suppose I’ll ask one last time. Does Lightroom 2.x work with Time Machine. You’ve helped with this before:http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2007/11/lightroom_13_the_export_sdk_pr.htmlhttp://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2007/10/lightroom_12_and_leopard.htmlHere comes the thing that should never need to be said. I’m a good customer. I’m a Lightroom early adopter. I’ve used Photoshop for over a decade with all the paid upgrades that implies. Your response/lack of will shape my opinion of Adobe for longer than it should. Thanks.[Jesse, I thought the referenced links provided plenty of information about how to use Apple's Time Machine with Lightroom. Running Time Machine is fine as long as Time Machine does not attempt to back up the Lightroom catalog while Lightroom is running. The simple solution is to run the backup only when Lightroom is closed. -TH]

21. Reinhard says:

Following up on my post of Dec. 25th.I have tried many things. At this very moment 2.1 is running, although I had re-booted which had killed all success before.My ‘process':Uninstall Lightroom using CC Cleaner -In CC Cleaner ‘Registry’ I had it delete a leftover ‘lightroom.exe’ -Manually deleted all files and folders I could find named ‘Lightroom’ -Re-installed 2.0 from CD -Didn’t work (froze on the initial screen) -Re-booted in ‘safe mode’ Windows XP SP3 as Administrator -Lightroom ran -Shut down LR -Exited Safe Mode -Rebooted into normal Windows -2.0 worked – updated to 2.1So far stable.How long?????????????? Who knows

22. Reinhard says:

I got it working.Removed all! mentionings of Lightroom on my system.Re-installed 2.0 – closed Lr via Task Manager. Ended “run32exe.dll” manually (took) 50% of my machine’s power.Re-booted into Safe-Mode as Administrator. Opened and closed LrRebooted – installed 2.1 (further procedure see above)Rebooted – installed 2.2 (further procedure see above)Now it runs pretty stable.

23. David says:

I get the spinning beach ball the first time I switch from Library to Develop and it is annoying. I would like LR 2.2 to run faster. I have a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 with 3.5 GB or RAM. Do I need more processing power, more RAM or both? Or is it the software?

24. PO'd says:

I updated to 2.2 and now I can’t create a web photo gallery that works. It appears to work but the I get some weird error message about going online and changing security settings. WTF

25. PAM says:

Lr 2.2 – Crash….crash… …back to Lr 2.1Windows Vista, Dual Core 2.6 processor, 4g RAM, ATI x1300 and tons of hard disk space.Preview window goes blank and shows out of memory message in red on screen upside down and backwards.

26. Lutz says:

Can you explain why storing photos on a network drive is not supported? Is this a technical reason? I’m using Windows Home Server so that I don’t have to worry about storagae or backups as much, but not being able to use a mapped drive or a network share is a deal-breaker for me.[Storing photos on a network drive is absolutely supported. The Lightroom Catalog file however, cannot be stored on a network drive due to the potential latency of a network connection. The catalog file is an index of all of the images organized by that catalog and Lightroom needs fast and reliable access to that index. The images themselves can be stored on any mountable volume. -TH]

27. Donald Horne says:

I have a PC w/XP ProSP3, Lighrtoom 2.2,4 GB ram. When I run LR with Firefox and/or Thunderbird minimized, the adjustment brush at larger sizes only about 1/4 of the circle shows and as I increase the size less shows. I have to quit all programs and restart to get the full brush size to display. The brush still works but I can’t see all of the brush. This happened with LR 2.1 also. Is there a setting I need to change or is this a bug in LR?Thanks,Don

28. Dick Linde says:

I’ve been trying to use the clone feature in LR2.2, but am having problems. Is this acommon problem. I am never sure which is the source and which is the target. It seems that sometimes it performs and sometimes it has no effect. Is this a bug?[Check your opacity settings. -TH]

29. Mark lait says:

I have been trialling lightroom 2.2, every time I use it, it crashes randomly, mostly when I’m about 3/4 of the way through retouching an image. I won’t be buying it. It is rubbish.[Mark, try the Lightroom 2.3 Release Candidate available on Adobe Labs for a solution to a memory leak in Lightroom 2.2. http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Lightroom_2.3 -TH]

30. John says:

I’ve attempted to get LR to run on my Macbook Pro (Leopard) since LR 1.5. I get the error occurred when attempting to change modules message. I’ve tried everything short of reformatting my machine – I won’t do that. I’d like to see Adobe actually address this issue with a patch or update. It is ridiculous that this hasn’t been fixed yet.

31. jon says:

I am using windows vista for running lightroom and am going to upgrade my computer. What is the best options Dual or quad core or faster gzh? Would 2gb ram be good enough or would 4-6gb improve greatly? What about graphic cards, is more mb or card speed necessary? Does the 64-bit OS help? Finally, would a raid 0 drive setup help at all? I am looking for speed improvements rating images(rendering) and in the develop module. Sorry for all the questions, I just want an optimized system for lightroom. Thanks.[Check out this post: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/blog/2009/05/02/hurry-up-lightroom-the-best-speed-tips/ - TH]

32. Fredf says:

I just installed Lightroom 2 ver 2.3 on my MacBook Pro w. Mac OS X 10.6.2.Every time I open LR I get the error message “error occurred when attempting to change modules” I read somewhere to create a new profile on and then it will work for that profile. The problem is, I want it to work for my main profile, being that is where all of my photos are. Is this to much to ask? Can someone help?I’ve noticed this question has been posted several times on the net for Lightroom, but I haven’t seen it for LR 2.

33. MelissaC says:

Hello this comment is to Fredf: Ya, I am currently having the same problem. I had to reinstall my operating system (took to apple for a batter problem.There answer: reinstall) I did this all weekend and I have been up to here with installing my lightroom again. It works on a new user account but I have tried to drag and drop the app and other files that are from the new into my main user account.Can anyone help?Currently running Mac OS C 10.6.3 with Lightroom 2.7FRUSTRATING!