Camera Raw 5.3 and Lightroom 2.3 Available on Adobe Labs

Camera Raw 5.3 and Lightroom 2.3 Release Candidates are now available on Adobe Labs.(Camera Raw 5.3, Lightroom 2.3) The release includes new camera support for the following models:

• Nikon D3X
  • Olympus E-30

There are several bug fixes in this update :

• In the Windows 64-bit version of Lightroom an sFTP upload process could cause Lightroom to crash
  • Slideshows could return to the first image randomly during playback
  • A memory leak could cause Lightroom to crash while attempting to process files with local adjustments
  • Canon EOS 5D Mk II sRAW files could process with artifacts in Lightroom 2.2
  • Lightroom 2.2 could cause disc burning to fail for Windows customers

Additional Languages
Lightroom 2.3 now provides language support for the following additional languages:

• Chinese (Simplified)
  • Chinese (Traditional)
  • Dutch
  • Italian
  • Korean
  • Portuguese (Brazilian)
  • Spanish
  • Swedish

The translation effort for these languages is over 90% complete in this release. We appreciate your feedback as we complete this work so that we can ensure that the final release provides a high quality update for all of these new languages. If you find a translation error or problem with these new language versions please report them here: Bug Report Form

Notes on the Additional Languages

• Localized help is not yet available for these additional language versions
  • The new language versions cannot be installed simultaneously with the English/French/German 2.3 RC build

I’d like to thank everyone who contributed in the Adobe User to User forums to help us track down some of the bugs we corrected in this release.

21 Responses to Camera Raw 5.3 and Lightroom 2.3 Available on Adobe Labs

1. nbb says:

Ou, guys, where is the polish language?[A number of factors influenced the decision to provide additional language support and Polish was not one of the languages chosen at this time. -TH]

2. Dick Kenny says:

Are you able to give an indication of the intended time lag between this release and its final version? Thanks for your time.[Dick, I can’t provide an exact time frame but we need time to gather and act on the feedback so historically it’s typically 2 weeks to 2 months before we’re able to post a final release. -TH]

3. Dan Vomastek says:

Tom – just finished processing my first shot with the 2.3 RC. I was admittedly frustrated with the adjustment brush memory leak, especially as it wasn’t present in the 5.2 camera raw release. I am very grateful you and your team were able to correct this in LR2.3. It worked great today! Thanks!

4. garrie says:

Congratulations on giving us a product that so helps with life in the digital world. i have some suggestions for LR 3.0Orginise photos by path name would be such a help. all my new photos are in date order but the scanned ones are put in folders that are for the time they were taken not scanned but they keep appearing in lightroom as date scanned scanned. (am i missing somehthing here?)find a simple quick way of orginising keywords, the current way of dragging them around is getting too much for me. to have a pop out window like a mac column view would be really good to move and orginise as each time i bring a batch in it takes ages to sort the new ones. If it could be made that the contents of folder you put new keywords in appears independant of the folders this would be even better.of course their is my other request of 3 or 4 deep stacks, (that is stacks within stacks.)thanksg

5. Pacorramos says:

Will the final language versions also include their corresponding downloadable pdf help files for each language?[Yes. -TH]

6. How can I change the languaje of Lightroom? I have the version 2.3 RC 534370 (multilanguaje)[Excellent question Marlon. I see that our help documentation doesn’t address that topic. I’ve posted another blog entry here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2009/01/lightroom_2_language_selection.html -TH]

7. Jean-Marie Guyon says:

Thanks Guys,Having LR2 integrated in my daily workflow I am more than delighted to be able to use the RAW D3x files in LR. Until a few days ago NX2 was the only option. So far so good, LR2.3 RC is stable AND 1000% faster with the D3X raw files then NX2 .) When will it be possible to directly work in LR with ICC camera profiles as with DxO or Capture One?Keep up the good work![Jean Marie, Lightroom and Camera Raw won’t work with ICC profiles. (Scene-referred data and output-referred profiles don’t really mix well) You’re much better off using the DNG Profile Editor to create a custom profile that’s designed specifically to characterize raw data. http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles:Editor -TH]

8. Joe Decker says:

Thanks to you and your team for 2.3RC, it’s been solid as a rock for me in the last three days (and I’d been having quite a lot of trouble with 2.2).Y’all’s tireless work to quickly grow Lightroom and keep up with the parade of new cameras is very, very much appreciated.[Thanks Joe. -TH]

9. I can choose the languaje in the windows version installer but not in the mac version installer

10. Signe says:

The one thing that I consistently wish for in LR, is the ability to have virtual copies in different directories. Either that, or add real Aspect Ratio filtering. (Landscape and Portrait aren’t aspect ratios. 4×5, 4×6, etc. Those are aspect ratios.)When working on a project for a customer, I may make several different crop sizes of an image for print… 8×10, 4×6, etc. Since I’m working on a single image with only virtual adjustments, the adjustments have to reside in the same directory as the original, and there’s no way to figure out which ones are which.

11. Jauder Ho says:

I sure would like to see the ability to export to relative path as an option.I.e. export pictures to ../POST when the current parent directory is RAW. Since I have my directory structure organized by date, this will allow me to exportpictures over multiple days at the same time to the respective directories instead of day by day.[In the Lightroom 2 export dialog just choose the option to use the “Same folder as the original” and then choose “Put in subfolder.” That way your export is relative to where the original file is located. -TH]

12. Jauder Ho says:

Thomas, I have tried this previously and it does not work.For example, my directory structure is20081010/RAW20081010/POST20081011/RAW20081011/POSTIn the “Put in subfolder field”, I tried putting in ../POST which is relative to the original directory but LR does not allow me to use the .. nomenclature. If this is enabled, this will work fine for my needs. Thanks.[I see, you’re not trying to put it in a subfolder, but rather a sibling folder next to the folder of originals. That will not work in Lightroom 2. Interesting suggestion however. -TH]

13. Jauder Ho says:

Thomas,By doing so, I am able to quickly separate different file types by purpose. This also lets me selectively import/export different directories quickly and easily.Given the structure I have, I have been able to mantain and merge well over 30k pictures over multiple machines without fear of dupes or collisions.So I’m hoping that Adobe will be able to add this in short order as it should be fairly easy to add the ability to understand relative paths in the subfolder field. Thanks!

14. NSG says:

Another nice to have feature is an option to rename virtual copies on export, as I often end up with several in the output, especially on web uploads, perhaps a way to tag on an -vc1, -vc2 to the output?

15. mike says:

ability to create custom metadata fields[Mike, are you looking for the Lightroom SDK? Custom metadata fields are part of the Lightroom 2 API. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshoplightroom/ -TH]

16. NSG says:

Having finished the production for a recent shoot, I installed the 2.3 upgrade. So far, I’m impressed. Have an 8G Quad box running LR2 in 64 bit, V2 would sometimes reach as far as 6G (yes – six) into the memory with lots of extensive local adjs… Now holding steady between 300 and 600 MB.. Will cont to monitor..

17. Ken Cedeno says:

I would say the majority of us are prof photographers and are always sending images via ftp to clients. Why does LR not have this option. I currently have to export somewhere else, open Photo Mechanic, and use that or another program that has ftp to send images. Quite a hassel.Also making photo books. iphoto and aperture both have this option.Would love to see LR get these options going.ThanksCheers,ken[Ken, an FTP upload export plug-in is one of the sample plug-ins we provide with the Lightroom SDK. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshoplightroom/ -TH]

18. David Braddon-Mitchell says:

Any chance of being able to apply develop presets on import based on EXIF? I have presets for correcting CA and vignetting for different lenses and focal lengths. Be cool to have that done on import (and be another step towards eliminating the temptation to try DXO!)[Good idea. -TH]

19. Victor Dellepiane says:

I recently upgrade to camera raw 5.3 and LR 2.3 and among other things my camera profiles are gone? don’t know what happenned? I really like the camera profiles, use them all the time, so How do I get them back?your input will be appreciatedthanks in advanceVictor[Keep in mind that Camera Profiles will not appear for JPEG images. -TH]

20. steph says:

my vote is for the .lrcat files to become relative-path enabled, so i dont have to keep re-pointing any catalogs i have saved in the past and then subsequently moved the containing folder, when i access them again after the move. bridge allows this, why not LR?

21. Brad Orner says:

I’ll second steph’s vote for relative path enablement. I set up a new directory and corresponding catalog for each client shoot. I have a template directory structure and preconfigured catalog. I copy the template, rename the catalog and I’m off and running. Not having relative paths means I have to manually reset my paths because they are all full paths. I’d love to be able to just push a button for each new shoot (i.e. simply copy and rename directory script).