Lightroom 2.4 and Camera Raw 5.4 Now Available

Lightroom 2.4 and Camera Raw 5.4 are now available as final releases on Adobe.com and through the update mechanisms available in Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2.  These updates include camera support for the following models:

• Canon           EOS 500D (Digital Rebel T1i/EOS Kiss X3 Digital)
  • Canon          PowerShot SX1 IS
  • Panasonic     Lumix DMC-GH1
  • Pentax          K-7
  • Sigma           DP2
  • Sony            A230
  • Sony            A330
  • Sony            A380

Note: Hasselblad support is for the 3FR file format only.  The Hasselblad FFF file format is not currently supported.

Lightroom 2.4 Bug Fixes

The Lightroom 2.4 update includes several bug fixes.  The following is a list of items FIXED in this release.

• Web galleries with a Collection Title of six characters would not export or upload
  • The crop aspect ratio could revert to the last selected ratio even when reset to original
  • The crop aspect ratio in Quick Develop could be lost after a crop adjustment
  • The crop aspect ratio lock could be lost after an orientation switch
  •  Images could preview incorrectly when imported using the MTP/PTP USB protocol
  • Sony .ARW files may not have been recognized by Lightroom’s import dialog
  • The Japanese language configuration of Lightroom on Mac OS X 10.5 could fail to switch to the print module if the HP B9180 was set as the default printer
  • Metadata options that are intended for use were dimmed incorrectly when exporting DNG files
  • The Japanese language configuration of Lightroom on Mac OS X was missing a shortcut for “Zoom Out”
  • Several translation and shortcut corrections were made for the eight additional languages introduced with Lightroom 2.3

New Lightroom 2.4 and Camera Raw 5.4 DNG Options

This release includes new DNG Compatibility conversion options. These choices help address the additional options available with the new DNG 1.3 Specification (http://www.adobe.com/dng):

• Camera Raw 2.4 and later: The DNG file will be readable by Camera Raw 2.4 (Photoshop CS) and later, and Lightroom 1.0 and later
  • Camera Raw 4.1 and later: The DNG file will be readable by Camera Raw 4.1 (Photoshop CS3) and later, and Lightroom 1.1 and later. The DNG file will often be readable by earlier versions, depending on the camera model
  • Camera Raw 4.6 and later: The DNG file will be readable by Camera Raw 4.6 (Photoshop CS3) and later, and Lightroom 2.1 and later. The DNG file will often be readable by earlier versions, depending on the camera model
  • Camera Raw 5.4 and later: The DNG file will be readable by Camera Raw 5.4 (Photoshop CS4) and later, and Lightroom 2.4 and later. The DNG file will often be readable by earlier versions, depending on the camera model
  • Custom: (Not available in Lightroom 2.4)
    • Backward Version Option: DNG 1.1, DNG 1.3 (default 1.3)
    • Checkbox: Linear (demosaiced) (default unchecked)
    • Checkbox: Uncompressed (default unchecked)

DNG 1.3 Specification Update

The DNG specification has been updated to version 1.3.[LINK] The update includes the following changes:

• In Chapter 2, “DNG Format Overview”, the section on Defective Pixels has been updated
  • The section on Opcode Lists has been added to Chapter 2, “DNG Format Overview”
  • The CFALayout tag has been updated in Chapter 4, “DNG Tags”.
  • Additional Tags for Version 1.3.0.0 were added to Chapter 4, “DNG Tags”
  • Chapter 7, “Opcode List Processing” was added.
  • “Appendix A: Compatibility with Previous Versions” was updated.

The additional "Opcode Lists" allow complex processing to be moved off the camera hardware, which can have limited processing power, and into the DNG reader, which is often running on more powerful hardware. This also allows processing steps to be specified, such as lens corrections, which ideally should be performed on the image data after it has been demosaiced, while still retaining the advantages of a raw mosaic data format.

21 Responses to Lightroom 2.4 and Camera Raw 5.4 Now Available

1. Phil Aynsley says:

The Installer won’t run for me (OS10.5.7 with LR v2.3). The first install screen has the ‘Continue’ button greyed out so you can’t proceed any further. Downloaded the LTRM_WWEFG_mac_2_4.dmg file twice, just in case.Phil

2. Peter says:

hi,thats great news!!can you tell what´s next on the list for LR 2.5 or v3.0?i think the next version will have new features. im curious what you guys come up with.it was a bit quiet here sine may.. please keep us up to date ;)[Peter, we typically don’t discuss future features. -TH]

3. David says:

Thank you.

4. Hub says:

Any plan to relicense the DNG SDK? The current license is incompatible with the GPL.Having the DNG SDK licensed under the same license as the XMP SDK would just make sense and would address the above concern.Thanks[Yes, this has been on my ‘to do’ list for some time. Please stay tuned. -TH]

5. Curtis Bowman says:

I am running LR 2.3 and OS x 10.5.7. I have downloaded the update to LR 2.3, 2.4 and installed with no problem. However, when I run LR, it continues to show v 2.3.[Sounds like you might have a stale shortcut on your dock. Try going into your application folder and adding a new dock icon or launching the application directly from the application folder. -TH]

6. lasse ekendahl says:

It´s a shame Adobe that you let all CS3 users down by not having the raw converter version 5,4 suitable for CS3. We are thousands and thousands of disappointed Adobe fans out here,Please give me one good explaination why you are doing this. Do I really have to copy my sisters Elements 6 to get the job done!!!!????Lasse[New file formats require additional development effort and are only included with the latest version of Photoshop. Customers who purchase a camera that captures a standardized raw file format like DNG don’t have the problem that you’re experiencing. -TH]

7. Mark Pfeifer says:

Thanks for the info. Oddly, one change didn’t make your list – Import Elements 6 catalog is in LR 2.3 and is missing from LR 2.4.I noticed this because have a real need for ‘Import Elements 7 Catalog’, but haven’t seen it yet.[It dynamically appears only when Elements 6 is installed on you computer. -TH]

8. jacky says:

i just downloaded the 2.4 upgrade and now my drop down menus (such as saved presets and white balance) don’t show the text they usually do, they’re showing weird-looking little characters. anyone know what i can do to fix this?!

9. Is there any suggestion on what compatibility setting one should use? Is it better to always choose 2.4 since this would give maximum backward compatibility? Or does this produce bigger DNG files than choosing compatibility with more recent versions?Thanks for clarifying [We’ve set the default at the latest version so unless you find yourself needing to go back to older Adobe raw processors I would stick with the default. -TH]

10. Rick Hyman says:

11. Michael says:

If I understand the release notes listed here and the DNG spec correctly http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/pdfs/dng_spec.pdf all Lightroom proprietary camera RAW to DNG conversions now result by default in losslessly compressed Huffman JPEGs (hence the file size savings vs. proprietary RAW TIF-based formats)? Only the DNG Converter’s “Custom” uncompressed setting allows for the option of uncompressed TIF-based DNG?For my freelance photography work I’m fine with the now- leaner Lightroom options. But among the cultural heritage preservation community with whom I’m also a member, being driven to use compression of any sort including lossless, tends to shy folks away from valid tools (Lightroom) and formats (DNG).[The lossless compression does not result in JPEGs. The raw mosaic data is compressed in a lossless manner as defined in the DNG specification. -TH]

12. Autoplay says:

Please have a look at the Autoplay(Windows) bug where Lightroom 2 overrides the system controls without asking for permission.

13. SdsdW says:

“I have the same problems as Jacky. I am running a macbook. Anyone know what to do on this?”Apple makes iPods and iphones. Buy a PC and watch your problems disappear, and your pocketbook thickness increase. Only problem is that Windows 7 costs a lot more than the Mac OS, and believe me, I’m no Microsoft supporter. I do not like their business ethic.

14. Michael McAllister Lyon says:

I have a Canon PowerShot G10 and a New Uninstalled Lightroom2.Which Operating System is optimized for Win 7 or Snow Leopard Mac OSX is supported by Adobe that supports my Canon G10 Recommendations Welcome PC Desktop Or Mac Pro? I’m currently a passionate enthusiast in need of a upgrade New Desk Top Computer ,Monitor, Printer. Is 8 core essential or is duo/quad core good If I grow into CS4 in my learning curve.

15. Pingback: Lightroom Updateversion 2.4 steht zum Download bereit

16. JACKOPA says:

Remarkable related information! I have been seeking for some thing similar to this for some time currently. Thank you!You built some beneficial details there. I did a look for within the matter and observed most folks will consent with your webpage.

17. malaysiagirl says:

http://countryxp.com thank post

18. Absolut ist mit Ihnen einverstanden. Darin ist etwas auch mir scheint es die gute Idee. Ich bin mit Ihnen einverstanden.

19. Pingback: New release: Lightroom 2.4 ready for download | Presets Heaven

20. just me says:

I think other website proprietors should take this website as an example , very clean and good user genial layout.

21. Brian Gaylor says:

Photoshop CS3 will not open raw files from my new Canon EOS 5D mark 11.
    What Camera Raw download do I need? I currently have 4.6