Lightroom 2.5 and Camera Raw 5.5 Now Available

Lightroom 2.5 and Camera Raw 5.5 are now available as final releases on Adobe.com and through the update mechanisms available in Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2. These updates include camera support for the following models:

• Nikon D300s
  • Nikon D3000
  • Olympus E-P1
  • Panasonic DMC-FZ35**
  • Panasonic DMC-GF1

**Note that in Europe and Japan this model is marketed as the DMC-FZ38. Unfortunately, due to a metadata difference between these cameras, files from the DMC-FZ38 will *not* be supported until the next Camera Raw and Lightroom updates.

Release Notes:

• Camera Raw 5.5 and Lightroom 2.5 include a correction to the demosaic algorithms for Bayer sensor cameras with unequal green response. Olympus, Panasonic and Sony are among the more popular camera manufacturers affected by this change. But the demosaic correction provides only a subtle visual improvement to the processing of those raw files.
  • Lightroom 2.5 corrects for the following problem in Lightroom 2.4. Lightroom 2.4 on Windows continued to display the import dialog when a memory card was detected regardless of the preference setting “Show import dialog when a memory card is detected.”

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on our Camera Raw 5.5 Release Candidate.

51 Responses to Lightroom 2.5 and Camera Raw 5.5 Now Available

1. Dave says:

When will Lightroom support the canon 7d raw files?[Lightroom 2.5 and Lightroom 3 beta provide unofficial support for the Canon EOS 7D which means that the applications will open the file but the color profiles are still quite inaccurate. Official support will be provided in the next Lightroom update. (2.6) -TH

2. Paul Gilbert says:

I have PS 3 and Light room 2 and have just bought a Canon 7D.How do I open in raw ?

3. Xander Mozejewski says:

i need Lightroom to be able to read my 7D raw files ASAP

4. Dave says:

When will Lightroom 2.6 be released or are you waiting until 3.) release to support the Canon EOS 7D RAW?

5. Nancy says:

Don’t Panic. Read the directions on your EOS DIGITAL Solution Disk for Digital Photo Professional. On P.38 there are directions for converting to jpegs or tiffs.Having said “Don’t Panic”, I should add that I panicked a bit myself!

6. Laura Farris says:

I’m considering buying the Canon 7D but I shoot in RAW and I need to be able to use Lightroom. Is lightroom not supporting 7D RAW files as of November 1, 2009? I hope so!

7. Hi… I can work with the full Raw in lightroom but not with the M Raw and S Raw… neither in Photoshop CS 4… :(Please send to me an email when you have the upgrade for the RAW plug in!Thanks a lot

8. This is so frustrating! Lightroom 2.5 will not read my sRAW canon 7d files!!!Aren’t these programs suppose to keep up to date with the cameras?

9. Bill Hunking says:

I have the same issue.

10. Joe Sachs says:

I also need to be able to open and convert raw files from the 7d in lightroom ASAP!

11. Hugh says:

I need lightroom 2 and CS3 to be able to read my 7D MRaw and SRaw files, as of Nov 5th. I might upgrade to CS4 if needed but would prefer not if possible as I like CS3 (and its more money!)will start learning Canon DPP.

12. Bob Baker says:

I just wanted to add my voice to those who need Canon 7D RAW support in Lightroom. My new camera will arrive in two days (can’t wait), and I use Lightroom for all my processing. I hope this will be a high priority for the LR developers at Adobe (who, by the by, do a great job!).

13. nancy skilling says:

I have just purchased a Canon 7D and cannot even open a still jpeg file in Adobe Premier 7. I have reduce the size of jpg to under 1M and still will not open. Do you have suggestions?

14. Gavin says:

I have a Canon 7D and can not open the raw file in Photoshop CS3.Will you be updating the plug-in for CS3?

15. Meagan says:

We really need an update for my 7D! i shoot professionally and i need lightroom! im well aware that i can convert with the canon software but i need the control that lightroom offers. dont let us down adobe!

16. Helena Wiking says:

I have purchased a canon 7D and CS3 can not open the RAW file!When will this be updated?No answers in here what I can see!

17. Laura Farris says:

I just got my 7D today. I’ve been playing with it all day. I can process my RAW files in LR 2.5 but they look horribly noisy at higher ISO’s. The same RAW files look sooooooooooooooo much better when processed with DPP. However, I hate DPP’s workflow and MUCH prefer LR’s workflow. I really really hope that LR is “fixed” soon. Adobe…any ideas?

18. I attended a Canon Live Learning event in Dallas last weekend and when several Canon 7D customers, including myself, complained about the amount of noise in their recently shot images, Canon representatives suggested we switch to Canon’s DPP software since 3rd party vendors were unable to process files accurately. I do not plan on changing my post production workflow but will leave my 7D in the office until Adobe can accurately handle these files. I am also reluctant to purchase the 1D MK IV until these files can be handled by Lightroom and Photoshop as well.

19. gary hill says:

purchased canon 7d on 5/11 lightroom is processing raw files ok , I import and convert to dng all seems ok

20. Hanoids says:

INTERESTING……ALOT OF FRUSTRATED EOS 7D PURCHASERS, AND NO RESPONSE FROM ADOBE???COME-ON ADOBE!!!!THESE PEOPLE HAVE SPENT THOUSANDS ON YOUR PRODUCTS!!!SOME HAVE THEIR JOBS/INCOMES DEPENDING ON YOUR HASTINESS TO PRODUCE THE ‘SERVICE THEY HAVE ACTUALLY PAID FOR’!!!YOU GUYS SHOULD DO MUCH-MUCH BETTER THAN THAT?!? MUST DO BETTER THAN THAT!!CANON KEEP COMING OUT WITH THE BEST SLR’S IN THE WORLD AND PEOPLE BUY THEM…….”DON’T PISS THESE PEOPLE OFF”!!!(for your own sakes??)

21. Bruce Person says:

Adobe needs to either pressure Canon into full support of DNG and drop their unique format or they need to have it ready to go a a download to the download for camera raw on day one of the new Camera. I can’t believe that a table driven approach to the format couldn’t be developed so this isn’t brain surgury. I am holding up my purchase of the Canon 7D awaiting for Photoshop to have a 7D raw converter. Yes I know about DPP and converting to TIFF but that is not the workflow that I use nor will ever use. I will wait for Adobe to ready the Raw updater to support it. After all how different can they really be from the 50D. This should’nt be that hard. You may tell that I was a programmer for over 30 years. Adobe do you need some help?Thank you if someone is reading this,Bruce Person

22. Bernardo Zamora says:

Adobe, any word on Canon 7D support? I’m stuck in bad options: either not using the 7D (and reverting to an old, bad camera), not using Lightroom (and changing the workflow), using Lightroom (with bad conversion), … Can you provide a beta 5.6 converter? and maybe do updates every week that get better?

23. Chris P says:

As someone who has a 7D, it works so so in LR 2.5. Looking forward to the support from Adobe; however, I understand that Canon themselves have yet to release the SDK kit for the 7D and 1DMK4. This seems to be the hold up on several 3 rd party products.I would hazard to guess that They are doing some serious reworking on the D4… reason being that they have been overly restrictive on reviews, sample images, and videos. Something is up, its not making 5K for the next camera sound like a good investment for a few months. I woul not blame Adobe here on this hold up.

24. droopy says:

I have the same problem with the panasonic FZ38 which isn’t recognize yet for the RAW.I just wish we could have any info from adobe about “when” we could expect to see the next release of camera raw (so I could stop checking the sites every day :))

25. I shot a Wedding this last weekend and was very disappointed to get error message, “Unknown errors occurred. (1807)” This is like the buggy before the horse. Im on hold with Adobe Tech Support right now trying to get this resolved.

26. Richard Vernick says:

I am just shooting in Raw plus JPEG. Saving the Raw for when Adobe has the conversion software – hopefully soon.

27. Tor Osthed says:

I just downloaded and installed Lightroom 3 Beta, which includes Camera Raw 6.0 and has no problem with native support for the CR2 files from my EOS 7D. I installed the 64-bit version on my system running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit edition).Hopefully Adobe releases this for Photoshop and a Lightroom update soon…

28. Dave Eplin says:

I think all camera companies should go to dng for raw processing, that would save a lot of headaches. I just bought the 7D. I remember buying my 5D the day it came out and waiting for Adobe on the updates.

29. Ian Cassell says:

I just want to add my voice to the crowds. I too am waiting for an update to Camera Raw for my 7D. Thanks!

30. Matthew Matts says:

Are you effing kidding me Abobe? I pay $2,000 for a camera (the 7D) and you haven’t made any updates for me to be able to edit my photos in either Photoshop or Bridge CS3.Screw you guys. Talk about poor support. And to hid behind your blog and not give us an answer after 1 month.Dumb a s s idiots I tell you. Eff off!

31. Ronda Sauers says:

I also would appreciate notice as soon as a raw converter is available. As a photography student I am being held back due to this issue. I see that I’m not alone. I love photoshop but this is a setback. Please, please get back to me soon with more information. I plan to be persistent.Your attention to this matter is appreicated.

32. cooper says:

Just purchased the 7D, I see that lightroom 2.5 is working with the raw files, but pretty noisy. I can’t open the raw files into PS3, running ACR 4.6, would rather not upgrade to CS4 to get the ACR 5.x Will Adobe support 7D raw in the PS3 Version? Hopefully? Am I missing something? Will try working with the Canon Raw Converter software I guess… come on Adobe, get with the program!

33. I too have a new 7D. I have wasted most of my Sunday trying to figure out how to open my RAW files – with no success. Talk about panic! 900 are from a wedding last weekend that I need to begin editing and some from a Christmas event this weekend. Now I’m converting to JPEGs – just so I can edit in LightRoom and post for all the clients waiting to see and order images of their children with Santa. I am astounded that Adobe didn’t keep up with this – and have yet to answer anyone’s questions. What are other options to get these files opened and processed? I don’t have time to learn Canon’s software nor do I want to take the time to learn it. This is so frustrating – come on Adobe – give us some answers![Cathy, the 7D is well supported in our Lightroom 2.6 release candidate. Please download it here: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Lightroom_2.6 -TH]

34. William Mendoza says:

I have been using CS3 and LR2 plus the 2.5 download and am very happy with the workflow. However, after purchasing the new addition to my CANON family…. you guess it! a 7D, I’m in trouble. Now I had to install Canon’s program, convert my RAW CR2 files into TIFF and jpeg, back to LR and CS3 it is so time consuming and frustrating. Specially the conversion using Canon’s program takes over 30 minutes to convert just 450 pics.We all NEED to an update in ADOBE’s LR2 or a patch for our ‘old’ but efficient, adequate and good CS3. During this times of economic crunch we expect giants like Adobe to support us ‘THE USERS’.WHEN WOULD WE HAVE A SOLUTION FOR CR2 from EOS 7D?[Solution for Lightroom customers here: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Lightroom_2.6 and solution for CS3 customers here via the DNG Converter: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_5.6 -TH]

35. Eric Davies says:

Count me among those waiting for a solution to read EOS 7D raw files in Photoshop CS3.

36. Jon Carlson says:

The free Adobe DNG converter lets you repackage the .CR2 files from the camera into a DNG format that will open with Adobe Camera Raw version 4.6 (All CS3 products).The older version of DNG did this but not well. The new release, DNG 5.6, claims to handle this without problems. Until I’m able to test this, though, I’m running a trial version of Capture One 5 Pro; the output off my 7D from that is amazing.

37. 8gb sdhc says:

Thanks for the informative post. A memory card is also used in almost all media devices. Today, a lot of compressed file formats are available to help us store more on one memory card. The point of storing data from either your camera or cell phone to the memory card is so that when the time comes, you can easily transfer the data to the system or better still, you can store the data on that tiny little device. One should always ensure to take a back-up of some sort, just in case something goes wrong. However there is no need to get crushed if no back up is available.

38. Jason Tan says:

Adobe, so when will we have the Camera Raw udapte for CS3 that supports EOS7D?

39. Hi, my friend, are you able to give more post like this!! As I was very pleased to find this post on this site. I wanted to thank you for this great read. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. It sounds, like you’re on the up and up.

40. lorna says:

when I open an EOS 5D .CR2 file with photoshop from Lightroom 2.6 it doesn’t open in the Camera Raw 5.6 plugin for PS, the way it does if I open the same .cr2 in PS from finder (I use a Mac) – that seems wrong, is there a way I can do that or is there a better way to work?

41. Joseph says:

I loaded Lightroom 2 on a new Toshiba laptop running Windows 7. When I try to import a RAW file, it give me the following error: the files appear to be unsupported or damaged. I have no problem importing the file using Lightroom on my desktop which is running Windows Vista opens the same RAW file no problem. Does anyone understand this problem?Thanks.

42. Shelley says:

Hi I have the LR 2.6 with camera raw 5.6 and i can’t import my raw files. I thoughts this was fixed in the last update. Is there some set up I have to perform in order for it to work? Thank you.

43. Miles Hale says:

I have CS3 and a new Canon 7D. What is the DNG that I can download so the Canon RAW files can be seen?Thanks,Miles

44. Dave says:

Working on a company computer (PC) with CS3 and I have the Canon 7D.Is there a plugin update to import my Raw CR2 files in Photoshop???Please help me out. I’m losing projects and money on this problem.Thanks.

45. Nice professional blog post so I have bookmarked it to my browser.

46. Jeff says:

download latest update, Lightroom will now read your RAW files. FINALLY!!!

47. Very professional blog post so i request you please give more post like this.Thanks for this informative post

48. debbie says:

just got a canon 7d and of course my old version of lightroom does not work with the raw files. does the new version of lightroom work with this camera? thank you!

49. malaysiagirl says:

http://newscambodia.org thank post

50. It is very interesting topic you’ve written here . The truth I’m not related to this, but I think is a good opportunity to learn more about, And as well talk about a different topic to which I used to talk with others