Lightroom 4.0 Now Available

The Lightroom team is proud to announce the availability of Lightroom 4.0.  With over 300,000 downloads of the Lightroom 4 public beta we’ve heard some resounding feedback that photographers would like to start using Lightroom 4 on a daily basis and migrate their previous Lightroom work to this latest version.  We’re also excited to announce new pricing for Lightroom 4: $149 for those new to Lightroom and $79 for the Upgrade and Student/Teacher editions.  (You can upgrade from any version of Lightroom to Lightroom 4)

Download Lightroom 4.0
Get Started with Julieanne Kost’s fantastic video tutorial series

Changes since the public beta:

• Reverse geocoding now available in the Map Module
  • Revamped and improved auto tone in Develop based on new controls
  • Increased range of local white balance controls (temperature and tint)
  • Updated Develop presets plus added new presets for video
  • Maximum Blurb book size is now 240 pages
  • Over 800 bugs found and fixed! (Thank you Lightroom 4 beta customers!)

Important Release Notes

• We found a late bug in the Lightroom 4 book module that would cause text errors if Courier New, Times or Callibri is the selected font.  Please preview your books as a PDF before submitting to blurb when using those fonts
  • Norton Antivirus 2012 incorrectly flags video related program files in Lightroom 4 as possible threats. Please instruct Norton Antivirus 2012 to exclude Lightroom 4 files from its scan.
  • McAfee Virus Scan prevents emails from being sent from Lightroom 4. Please instruct McAfee Virus Scan to exclude Lightroom 4 files from its scan.
  • AVCHD support is limited to MTS and M2TS video files. Dedicated video editors (such as Premiere Pro) may need the AVCHD file structure to process the files.
  • Lightroom can sometimes crash when printing to PDF in Windows 7. Lowering the resolution of the PDF in the print driver can help mitigate this.

New Camera Support in Lightroom 4.0

• Canon EOS 1D X
  • Canon PowerShot G1 X
  • Canon PowerShot S100V
  • Fuji FinePix F505EXR
  • Fuji FinePix F605EXR
  • Fuji FinePix HS30EXR
  • Fuji FinePix HS33EXR
  • Fuji FinePix X-S1
  • Nikon D4
  • Nikon D800
  • Nikon D800E

New Lens Profiles Supported in Lightroom 4.0

Lens Mount Lens Name
Canon Tokina AT-X 124 AF PRO DX 12-24mm f/4 (IF)
Canon Tokina AT-X 124 AF PRO DX II 12-24mm f/4 (IF)
Canon Tokina AT-X 165 PRO DX 16-50mm f/2.8 (IF) ASPHERICAL
Canon Tokina AT-X 535 PRO DX  50-135mm f/2.8 (IF)
Canon Tokina AT-X M35 PRO DX 35mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon Tokina AT-X M100 AF PRO D 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8
Nikon Tokina AT-X 124 AF PRO DX 12-24mm f/4 (IF)
Nikon Tokina AT-X 124 AF PRO DX II 12-24mm f/4 (IF)
Nikon Tokina AT-X 165 PRO DX 16-50mm f/2.8 (IF) ASPHERICAL
Nikon Tokina AT-X 535 PRO DX  50-135mm f/2.8 (IF)
Nikon Tokina AT-X M35 PRO DX 35mm f/2.8 Macro
Nikon Tokina AT-X M100 AF PRO D 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Nikon Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8
Nikon Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G
Nikon Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM
Leica LEICA APO-SUMMICRON-M 75 mm f/2 ASPH.
Leica LEICA APO-SUMMICRON-M 90 mm f/2 ASPH.
Leica LEICA APO-TELYT-M 135 mm f/3.4 ASPH.
Leica LEICA ELMAR-M 24 mm f/3.8 ASPH.
Leica LEICA ELMARIT-M 28 mm f/2.8 ASPH.
Leica LEICA ELMARIT-M 90 mm f/2.8
Leica LEICA MACRO-ELMAR-M 90 mm f/4
Leica LEICA NOCTILUX-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH.
Leica LEICA SUMMARIT-M 35 mm f/2.5
Leica LEICA SUMMARIT-M 50 mm f/2.5
Leica LEICA SUMMARIT-M 75 mm f/2.5
Leica LEICA SUMMARIT-M 90 mm f/2.5
Leica LEICA SUMMICRON-M 28 mm f/2 ASPH.
Leica LEICA SUMMICRON-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH.
Leica LEICA SUMMICRON-M 50 mm f/2
Leica LEICA SUMMILUX-M 21 mm f/1.4 ASPH.
Leica LEICA SUMMILUX-M 24 mm f/1.4 ASPH.
Leica LEICA SUMMILUX-M 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH.
Leica LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH.
Leica LEICA SUPER-ELMAR-M 18 mm f/3.8 ASPH.
Leica LEICA SUPER-ELMAR-M 21 mm f/3.4 ASPH.
Pentax Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM
Pentax Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC HSM
Sony Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8
Sony Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC B011
Sony Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM
Sony Sigma 50-200mm F4-5.6 DC HSM
Sigma Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM

The Lightroom team would thank our community of photographers for participating in the Lightroom 4 public beta.  We would also like to thank those “Most Valuable Contributors” who have worked very hard to provide guidance, plug-ins and support via various online forums.  MVC support has been crucial in helping many of our new customers and beta customers understand and learn all of the new features and functionality in Lightroom.

48 Responses to Lightroom 4.0 Now Available

1. Dan O'Donoghue says:

RIDICULOUS that as a 3.6 owner I have to pay the same as a 1.x owner to upgrade.

Also RIDICULOUS that it costs more to d/l in Australia, when it should cost less than the USA.

Starting to lose my faith in Adobe…

2. Sam says:

Should we uninstall LR4 beta for installation of the final version, or can we just install it and the final version takes care of that?

3. Pingback: Lightroom 4′s PV2012 image enhancement algorithm | Peter.vdHamer.com

4. Pingback: Lightroom 4.0 på gaden | D800

5. Pingback: Adobe releases Lightroom 4 | Fine-art, travel, urban and landcape photography | Ian Mylam Photography

6. Rog says:

Question: does LR4 Slideshow allow videos to be included alongside stills?

7. Hades says:

No XP support, no buy.

8. Rog says:

OK, now I’ve tried it and LR4 does not support video in Slideshow. That is disappointing.

9. Gary Hughes says:

Looking for lens profiles for the Canon EF 800mm IS USM f5.6 and the 8-15mm Zoom fish-eye lens.

10. 3213232 says:

the reverse geoencoding is not working.. nothing happens.

the GPS coordinates are put into the metadata but no adress field is filled.. and i get no suggestions for the adress fields either.

i have enabled that feature in the setup and i checked everything i could hink of a few times.. even reinstalled lightroom 4 .. no luck.

11. Pingback: John Nack on Adobe : Lightroom 4 arrives (at a great new price, too)

12. Treeskier says:

What about moving a image to Photoshop. Will camera raw take your changes? if not when is the new camera raw due out?

13. Pingback: Вышла финальная версия Lightroom 4.0 | журнал Евгения Булатова

14. Thomas S. says:

Man, what’s in the Windows install package? Mac 380MB, Windows 718MB? Even the Beta was only ~400MB! Is there a logical explanation for us?

15. Pingback: Adobe Lightroom 4.0 released, receives massive price cut | I Has Apple !

16. JD says:

LR4 says it uses Camera Raw V 7.0 I only see version 6.7 in the labs. Are these the same> What if I use CS5 how to maintain process compatibility?

• Bas says:

I’m looking for this answer too! when does ACR have the same functionality as LR4?! It’s hard to understand PS users pay more $$$ for a premium product and are now waiting because they want the same performance in CS5/ACR as LR4 delivers already….

Please advise :(

17. Dick Brigleb says:

In passing an image to Photoshop setting it to “Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments”, Photoshop opens it in ACR. I don’t believe that is what is intended. LR3 sends the image straight to PS.

Thanks

18. Pingback: Adobe Lightroom 4 Release Supports Nikon D800 and D800E | Nikon D800

19. Pingback: Adobe Lightroom 4.0 released, receives massive price cut - My Blog

20. TC says:

I can’t find the Nikon lens profile for the Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8.

21. Pingback: Adobe Lightroom 4 Available Now! -- PhotoCitizen.com — photocitizen.com

22. Danielle says:

Is it advisable to remove the beta version prior to installing full upgrade?

23. Treeskier says:

I know see that if you do Apple E and pick yes load as you see it in Lightroom 4 that the latest camera raw 6.7 takes the changes but in my work flow I do not want that TIFF in the original NEF folder. What I do is drag the adjusted image from the film strip onto the CS5 Photoshop Ikon which launches CS5’s camera raw but it does not show the Lightroom 4 updates. Which is very unhelpful! When will this be corrected?

24. Pingback: Lightroom 4 is out! « conradchavez.com | blog

25. Pingback: Lightroom 4 is live, price as low as $79! « mikelao photography

26. Sipi says:

Why is the Lightroom 4.app file size 900MB while Lightroom 3 was only 100MB?
    (in the Applications folder on Mac OS X 10.7.3)

27. James F says:

I’ve bought Lightroom since LR2 and upgraded every time despite the stupid Australian pricing policy becayse I’ve really wanted to support Adobe.

Unfortunately Adobe’s absurd policy has continued and now after paying only $123.75 last upgrade the new discounted price will cost me AU$122.38! (not sure why people are saying $104) The price should be $74.83 yet for my extra $50 I still get stupid “US English” and crappy support to boot.

Whilst I would really like to support the Lightroom team for all their hard work, this time around I can no longer support Adobe as a business and would prefer that they go broke. I’ll hang onto my cash and if I find I can’t live with Lightroom 3 then I’ll simply pirate like everyone else does until Adobe fix their stupid policy.

28. alexander says:

>Man, what’s in the Windows install package? Mac 380MB, Windows 718MB? Even the
    >Beta was only ~400MB! Is there a logical explanation for us?
    Mac installer contains only 64-bit version.
    Windows installer contains 32-bit and 64-bit versions – that’s why it is twice as bigger.
    During beta stage installer was separated – so 400MB was only one of the 32-bit or 64-bit versions.
    For the final release installer is joined for both versions.

>LR4 says it uses Camera Raw V 7.0 I only see version 6.7 in the labs. Are these the same
    > What if I use CS5 how to maintain process compatibility?
    Just install Camera RAW 6.7 RC1 from Adobe Labs – it’s compatible with Lightroom 4.0
    Or wait for the final release of Camera RAW 6.7 for a week or two I guess…

29. MikeG says:

No Canon 5D III support in LR4 but only in ACR ?

30. Peter Roehl says:

The Book Module is not realy usable without the Option to change the book size.
    Only Blurb Book sizes are available, that’s useless for me..

31. mark says:

Something definitely not right. I try to go from the Library module to the Develop module, whether in Grid view or Loupe view, and when in the Develop module I get the message “No photo selected”.

A little help please! This issue wasn’t present in the beta version.

32. Are their problems with LR4 regarding it changing the LR3 catalog tone curve? See this link. http://ow.ly/9wlBd

Thanks.

33. Tim Waite says:

So disappointed that this is the gold release. Buggy, buggy, and buggy. Very unpolished; it might be a step forward in process engine and improved functionality, but it is not ready for prime time. Simple example; when in the Develop module, if you’re scrolled down to say the Detail panel, and you then click one of the tools like the Adjustment Brush, you have to scroll back up to get to the tool’s settings, unlike LR3, where the tool’s settings became immediately visible, as a sort of dropdown. Is it a huge problem to scroll back up? No. Is it the same polished and intuitive experience I have come to expect and enjoy from Lightroom. Not even close. I am sort of embarrassed that someone thought that this was ready to be put into people’s hands.

34. Ken Baker says:

Here’s a dumb question. IF I already have Elements 9 and Adobe Photo shop7,
    Why would I want to buy Lightroom 4? Is this a stand alone software? Is this better for users than CS-5? I would really like to hear your honest opinion. You may email me with your reply and thank you very much. (I liked seeing the price tag.) Is this an typical on line price?

Ken

35. Pingback: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 | Best Buys On Amazon | Huge Discounts On Amazon | Top Selling Items On Amazon

36. Brandon says:

Hi A question from outside the USA: Why do you advertise a price worldwide that is actively prevented to those outside USA? And for a downloaded product! I think LR4(beta) is great, and at either the Australian price Adobe want me as a New Zealander to pay (we dont have Adobe store in NZ just a pretend one that links uds to the Australian store) or at the USA price (30% cheaper) it may represent good value over the already inflated price paid for LR3 in a box I purchased from local supply chain in NZ. But it is patently unfair to hike up the price of a downloaded upgrade based on where you live. I still have to pay in overseas currency with its costs: you cant sell me the pay for support in my country line, or tax or anyother cost add: its gouging! Come on Adobe here’s your chance to be a fair-minded global business in touch with your community.
    BTW your USA store just “system errors” out on those who have a non USA address tied to their loggin: I only found out about the pricing differential by firstly wasting my time trying repeatedly to buy from you, then searching the net and tapping into a fairly vitriolic seam of discontent. Ebay, itunes and other megaliths dont treat us as second class and ignorant like this!!

37. Barry Hooper says:

I used Lightroom 4 beta and found it an improvement over Lightroom 3.

I live in Australia and am very disappointed that upgrade in Australia is over $120 yet upgrade in USA is $79./ The dollars have roughly equal value.

I now am considering not upgrading.

This price structure is unfair.

Barry

38. Pingback: Lightroom 4, полнофункциональная версия | Светлая комната

39. Dale says:

LR 4 is definitely not ready for the masses, too bad cause the beta showed promise. Not being able to import videos from any type of media is a giant step backward, along with being slower than LR3 means I will keep using LR3. Here’s hoping Adobe gets their act together and releases some fixes in a hurry.

40. Tom Bidun says:

I am Wedding Photographer I have been using Lightroom and i had a lot of problems with RAW files not opening in Lightroom. Any one has same problem in LR4?

41. Brandon says:

“at Adobe we are listening”. Really????
    The unfairness of price differential, and the fact that the price is not “$149″ for those new to LR and “$79″ upgrading as this page states has been pointed out repeatedly (here and elsewhere). Will you face you critics and have a level field for downloaded programs or be honest with your pricing…or just continue to ignore the issue that faces all your international customer base?? Come on do the right thing!!!!

• Guy says:

The price for both full version and upgrade in Australia are dearer, yet our exchange rate is better. Can I buy the online download from the US at $79.00 without any problems?

42. Pingback: Сайт "фото́граф" | новости в фотографиях, обучение съемке, монтаж фотографий, обработка фотографий, Photoshop, Журналы о фотографии, Обзор ф

43. Paul says:

Hmm. I can’t use Lightroom 4 to test it out yet. Thought I could logon and download an upgrade but apparently we’re naughty Australians who must be punished for daring to use their products. I’m sure I’ll love it if they let me use it.

44. Lionel says:

Was almost ready to upgrade for the $USD79 but like many here found the upgrade was over $USD100 because I don’t live in the US. The AUD:USD = 1:1.04 at the moment so should be $AUD76 not $AUD98. C’mon this is a downloaded product there is no shipping and no tax.
    I like LR3 and it does the job well don’t see $100 of reasons to upgrade.

45. Pingback: The Great Adobe Lightroom ripoff. – Kevin Dowie Photography

46. Why am I getting this email? Lightroom 4 has been out for a LONG time!!!!!