Camera Raw 7.2 and DNG Converter 7.2 Now Available

Camera Raw 7.2 is now available as a final release through the update mechanism in Photoshop CS6.  The goal of this release is to provide additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Camera Raw.  Customers of previous versions of Photoshop can utilize DNG Converter 7.2 for raw file support for newly added cameras.

New Camera Support in Camera Raw 7.2:

17. Pentax K-30
  18. Samsung EX2F
  19. Sony Alpha NEX-5R
  20. Sony Alpha NEX-6
  21. Sony Alpha SLT-A99V
  22. Sony DSC-RX100

* Please note that the support for Nikon D600 is preliminary and there is a minor risk that the appearance of your images may change when the final support for Nikon D600 is available in an upcoming release.

New Lens Profile Support in Camera Raw 7.2:

Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC HSM Pentax
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Sigma
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC HSM Sony
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Sony

Camera Raw 7.2 Release Notes

These items have been FIXED in Camera Raw 7.2:

• Cannot change “Erase” size, feather and flow settings while utilizing the Option key.
  • Cannot write metadata to images previously opened in some 3rd party software.
  • Luminance Noise slider is unresponsive when Clarity is greater than 0.
  • In certain cases, the new Defringe controls can cause vertical streaks to appear.
  • Some images from Canon 5D Mark II exhibited pattern noise in the form of maze/green split artifacts.
  • Adjusting the Blue channel does not affect monochrome images.
  • Certain TIFF files can cause Bridge to become unstable.
  • Defringe settings are not retained when editing the file in Photoshop as a Smart Object and then returning to ACR.

Download Links

Camera Raw 7.2 – Please use the update mechanism in Photoshop CS6

DNG Converter 7.2 – Windows, Mac

106 Responses to Camera Raw 7.2 and DNG Converter 7.2 Now Available

1. sar says:

OH!
    Good Thank you for update.

2. ron moore says:

my adobe updater from within cs6, says no updates, all products updated. yet my camera raw is still 7.1
    is there another way to update?

3. karim says:

Thanks for all your effort in order to meet customer requirements
    Amateur and professional
    Adobe is Best Of The Best

4. Peter says:

we can not do online updates. all our company computers are offline.

how do we get the update?

5. Lars says:

PLEASE MANUAL UPDATE FOR CAMERA RAW!!!

6. Andrey says:

Adobe Camera Raw 7.2 is not available via Photoshop CS6 update mechanism…
    How it can be downloaded?

7. Ernie Kim says:

When Sigma DP2M will be supported?

8. Michael B says:

I am very happy for the RAW update for CS6 users. Unfortunately, those of us CS5 users are still without an update. As far as I can tell my CS5 will not recognize this RAW update.

9. Tammy says:

Will not update in Photoshop CS6. It says that there are no updates.

10. Swldstn says:

Same problem as others. CS6 claiming there is no ARW 7.2 Update

11. Philipp says:

We need an installer package, updating via Photoshop CS 6 is not an option. This is very unprofessional, every major company with standard IT security will not allow applications like Photoshop to connect to the web.

12. james says:

I updated to LR4.2 but I started to get this error message, when using CS5 for external editing: “This version of Lightroom may require the Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in version 7.2 for full compatibility. Please update the Camera Raw plug-in using the update tool available in the Photoshop help menu.” However CS5 states: “Your applications are all up-to-date”. I don’t want to pay $1000 to update my Production Premium CS5 just for the Raw engine update. Do I need to go back to LR4.1 to avoid this error message?

13. james says:

I went one step back to LR4.1. I was able to install it alongside LR4.2 on the desktop. The error is gone now. Luckily I had saved the LR4.1 update on my hard disk.

14. Greg says:

This update is not available on my copy of CS6. Says all updates are current, yet I still only have version 7.1 of Camera Raw. Can it be downloaded?

15. Marjorie says:

I just purchased a Nikon D600 camera. I ran the 7.2 update through Photoshop CS6, but the program still does not recognize Nef photos taken with the D600.

Would appreciate any help on how to accomplish this.

• Pete Green says:

Could you provide us with a copy of one of these files you’re having trouble opening? Use dropbox.com or similar to share one if you can.
      Thanks!

• Moustapha Mroueh says:

Hi Pete, Please note that I am still getting the same error message highlighted by Marjorie, is there any solution for the D600 NEF file? Thanks a lot

• Pete Green says:

Hi Moustapha,
          How did you import the NEF files? THere have been a lot of reports of image files getting corrupted when importing using the NikonCapture application to import the NEF files.
          If you can import the files using another application (card reader/copy, or through LR) you should have better results with the D600 files.

16. Lars says:

yeah great there is an update page for ACR for years but now we have to go to yet another website to get the update.. adobe really knows how to upset their customers…..

17. Angel Garcia says:

My CS6 update mechanism will not download CR7.2. I keep getting the “Update failed message and the error: Photoshop Camera Raw 7.2
    There was an error installing this update. Please quit and try again later. Error Code: U44M1I210

What is going on???

18. Bruce Himelman says:

I have the same problem as James after installing LR4.2 and then going to edit pics in CS5. You get the dialogue box about updating to camera raw 7.2 in CS5. However you can’t do it. I tired to go back to LR 4.1 but it didn’t work. So he we are right back to the problem when LR4.0 came out. Will you guys at Adobe ever get on the same page with photoshop and lightroom? I hesitated to update to 4.2 and now I have to deal with this problem.

• Pete Green says:

Which camera are you using Bruce?
      Do you get this message with all raw files? or just with RAW files newly supported with the update?

19. Patrick Ryan says:

I’m having the same problem everybody else is having. I updated Lightroom to 4.2. Now is says I need Camera Raw 7.2 when I export a photo to Photoshop. When I try to update in Photoshop CS6, it says I am up-to-date despite still having 7.1. I do not receive the Camera Raw 7.2 update.

20. Enrique Paraiso says:

I am really getting very disappointed with adobe. I have been a loyal customer, own cs5 and lr4 and recently updated to LR4.2. Since then I could not use the CS5 to edit pics. Peter said to download the ACR7.2 in the link he provided but when I did, it gave me message that the update is not applicable for me. COME ON ADOBE, WHAT IS IT.

• Pete Green says:

CS5 doesn’t get the latest update to Camera raw. You can use the DNG converter if you want to open the raw files directly up into Photoshop CS5. http://adobe.ly/ACRandDNG#legacydng
      You could also start with the RAW files in Lightroom, then open them up in CS5 as PSD files using edit in external editor.

• Pete Wes says:

I have the same problem as Enrique – have CS5 , LR4.2 and cannot read Nikon NEF files in. Camera Raw 7.1 or 7.2 is NOT compatible w/ CS5 (WHY???)
        I don’t want to go through DNG – I want to open native NEF files w/o forced upgrade to CS6. This is super unprofessional treatment of customers by ADOBE. Just scandal!

21. Marcia Zeigler says:

I updated to LR4.2 but I started to get this error message, when using CS6 CLOUD version for external editing: “This version of Lightroom may require the Photoshop Camera Raw plug-in version 7.2 for full compatibility. Please update the Camera Raw plug-in using the update tool available in the Photoshop help menu.”

WHAT? I thought the cloud version advantage was that everything was kept UP TO DATE? I went to CS6 and looked for UPDATE but the program says everything is up to date…What’s the deal? I don’t want to go through several steps to edit in Photoshop. Are you going to fix this problem?

22. Evan Gearing says:

I have just updated ACR to 7.2 but now all of the lens profiles that I had previously, like for my Sigma 10-20mm f4.0-5.6 that came with previous versions of ACR are gone along with others. There are some new lens profiles with 7.2, but the one I used are no longer there. Will these be put back in a subsequent update?

23. Neil Hulse says:

Ref ACR7; Can anyone please help? As a relative RAW novice I have just purchased the CS6 Essential Skills book by Mark Galer. The section on ACR7 says that white point is no longer set by the Exposure control but by the Whites control. I have ACR 7.2.0.46 installed.I can’t find a Whites slider in the Basic section. Is the book already out of date (publish date 2013) or, as a newcomer to using RAW, am I missing something?

24. Neil Hulse says:

ACR7.2 RESOLVED My apologies, I was being a bit dim. For anyone else having the same difficulty; The resource images that came with my book were processed using an older version of ACR which, by default, brings up the set of adjustment sliders from the version of ACR associated with the image. To rectify this, go to the Camera Calibration tab and adjust the ‘Process’ to 2012 (current). Go back to the Basics tab and the up to date slider adjustments will be there. Thanks

25. AJM says:

WTF does no one monitor this site?
    Its been most of a month and no fix for this problem!

I dread making calls to Adobe support as much as calling Verizon.
    I’d rather pull my own teeth using a tire iron than try to work with Adobe support.

26. AJM says:

Pete Green, are you from Adobe? If so, it is just as I would have suspected — you have not been reading the comments! Go back and read them, as the required fix is OBVIOUS!

REQUIRED FIX: Allow Adobe Updater to allow Photoshop to get Camera Raw 7.2. Simple as that.

By the way, I see updater has an ACR7.2 update available. Yeah!
    Thank you Adobe.

• Pete Green says:

Yes, I am with Adobe. I am also reading the comments as they come in, which is why I responded to your comment. Here in the dashboard I don’t see a previous comment from an “AJM” prior to your question, “WTF does no one monitor this site?”. Other posts are responded to.

Many people did see the Camera Raw 7.2 update come through their updater. Those that didn’t likely have something that’s blocking the updater from accessing adobe’s updater configuration files, firewall, router, altered hosts file, other internet blocker. For these users we’ve provided links to be able to download the update manually.

Glad you are seeing the update through the updater now.
      Regards

27. David Doll says:

I need the camera raw download for my new Nikon D600. Photoshop cs5 64bit will not load camera raw files, it closes the adobe photoshop. my photo resize plugin also will not work.
    Where is the compability? Or are you just selling ps6? What about support for ps5? I just purchased it in nov 2011, and I have elements 7.
    What download do I need for PS5?

28. Jeff Bonham says:

Will the Camera Raw 7.2 update be available for Photoshop Elements 10 (or 11). At the moment I am unable to process NEF files from my Nikon D600.

29. Mark Farrelly says:

I have lightroom 4.2 i want to edit in cs5, but it says “use lightroom settings” or something like that.
    i have updated the converter to 7.2.
    Does this mean lightroom will not work seemlessly unless I update to cs6?

• Pete Green says:

If you are working with a newer camera that uses RAW files that are not supported in CS5’s camera raw plug-in, then you can convert the images to DNG using the free DNG converter to be able to work more seamlessly with the two apps and your new raw files: http://adobe.ly/ACRandDNG#legacydng

30. den says:

When will be ready adobe color profiles for nikon d600?

31. Melissa says:

I am also using a Nikon D600, but I am using photoshop Elements 11. I just updated my Camera Raw to 7.2.0.46 and it still says that it cant recognise the file type.

I tried downloading the trial of the latest version of Lightroom and I am still having the same problem.

Please someone help me!

• Pete Green says:

Melissa, Could you provide a copy of the RAW files that we could try to test with? You can put them in a dropbox and share them directly with me at petgreen [at] adobe [dot] com

32. Mike says:

Trying to update as well to ACR 7.2. Updates for other software shows up in the Adobe Update Manager, but not ACR. Going to try the blogs link that someone posted. Hopefully Adobe will work out the kinks in this new distribution model- pretty rough so far…

33. Terri Butler says:

I use CS5 and have a new Sony Alpha NEX-5R. Can I use ACR 7.2 with CS5. If not, when will you update the earlier verison to support this camera.

34. Joseph says:

I really don’t want to add another step to my workflow. Using DNG converter or upgrading to CS5.5 or 6 is just poor marketing policy on Adobe’s part.

My Photoshop CS5 is only15 months old but you are starting to make it obsolete? Seriously? Is this the best you can do for your long-term customers?

35. dawn davis says:

Pete

I am having the same problem as everyone else that is using CS5 & LR 4.2 version. I am unable to get the 7.2 update in CS5. I’m using a Canon 5DmarkIII. I really don’t want to use DNG, I prefer working in RAW format. Additionally none of my NIK software is working in CS5 after updating to LR4.2 & being unable to get the 7.2 update from CS5.

Is there any solution on the horizon for being able to use RAW files with the combo of LR 4.2 and CS5? If not will upgrading to CS6 solve the issue with PS and PS plug ins? How much is it to upgrade to CS6?

• Pete Green says:

Hi Dawn,

The solution available for working with the RAW images from the newer camera is to use the DNG converter. There will not be an update to PS CS5,or the ACR versions it supports, but you will always be able to use the DNG converter as a way to access your RAW files in CS5.

Upgrade pricing is found here — http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.html

• Phil says:

Pete,
        I’m having the same problem as others. I had PS CS5 working fine with Lightroom 4.1 for a long time. Still using my same Canon 5D MkII (not a newer camera). As soon as I ran the update patch for LR 4.2, I get the error message when opening JPG files now from Lightroom, “This version of Lightroom may require the Photoshop Camera RAW plug-in version 7.1 for full compatibility. Please update the camera RAW plug-in using the update tool available in the Photoshop help menu”.
        Problems:
        1. This is a JPG file I’m trying to open from LR. Why does it need Camera RAW plug-in for this anyways?
        2. The Photoshop CS5 updater says there are no updates available for Camera RAW.
        3. When I try to download and run the Camera RAW updater manually, I try to install it and get the error message, “This patch is not applicable for you.”

This was all working fine on LR 4.1. I don’t have any new cameras. Am I really going to have to uninstall LR and go back to LR 4.1 for this to work again with PS CS5?

36. Rebecca says:

Trying to open a RAW file from a Nikon D600. I have Photoshop 5.1. Do I have to upgrade Photoshop to get this support?

37. Patti says:

I recently purchased a Nikon D600 and photoshop elements premiere 11 and I am unable to process my RAW files. Reading the other posts is not giving me much hope that I will be able to process the RAW files. Are you able to assist me?

38. Mike says:

I haven’t been able to open my files from my new Nikon D600. Just like everyone else. I was told to buy CS6 and update Camera Raw to 7.2. I finally found where to update to 7.2 and did so. I can click on a file now and work on the photo. The problem I have is NONE of the small photos show up, but they all stay as icons. It is very difficult to browse with out the small pics to pick from. How can I get them to appear? I’m finally close, but do need to be able to browse through my photos. Help?

• Pete Green says:

To see the thumbnails of the images you’ll be best off using Bridge to generate the thumbnails and navigate the images

39. CGM says:

Hi Pete-

Is there any kind of time frame for the final version of Camera Raw for the D600? I’m just trying to guage if we’re looking at weeks or months as this could effect my decision on whether to purchase the D600 at this time. The possibility that my images may “change” is a little scary.

Thanks so much.

40. I am using LR 3.6 (Windows XP) and I love it. Is there any way to update Camera RAW in the programme to the latest 7.2 version?
    Much obliged for prompt reply!
    Thanks
    Andrzej

41. Cindi Poole says:

When will ACR add the Canon 6D to the list of cameras that it is compatible with?
    i hate that ACR can’t open my RAW files.

thanks

• Pete Green says:

Hi Cindi,

Support for the 6D has been added in LR 4.3 — blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/12/lightroom-4-3-now-available.html

42. Stef says:

Hey Pete,

I was wondering whether there is future support for additional lens correction presets (e.g. for my two work horses: Sigma 24-70/f2.8 and Canon 16-35/f2.8) planned and how to download and add those… I noticed my most current version of camera raw already has the Sigma 12-24 for example in addition to above list.

Thanks for all the great work

43. Robert Pirtle says:

I am currently running registered versions of Lightroom 4.3 (with Adobe Camera Raw 7.3. I was notified by Adobe that there is Photoshop Camera Raw update 7.3 for my current version of Photoshop CS6 13.0.1. When I try downloading the Photoshop Camera Raw update 7.3, I receive the following error message:

“Photoshop Camera Raw 7.3
    There was an error downloading this update. Please quit and try again later. Error Code: U43M1D207″

Can you help with this?

Robert

44. Darcy Geale says:

When will Elements 10 support Nikon D600 – I have tried Chat sessions to no avail – what is the big issue in answering this simple questions?

45. clement says:

Why the hell u want us cs5 user to use the DNG converter? Imagine we’ve thousands of photos to process, how long should we need to wait for the DNG converter to convert the photos 1 by 1?

Why cant you just release a patch to enable the cs5 user to download the camera raw to 7.2?? U’re giving us a hard time and making fool of cs5 user to purchase cs6 for making money!

• Pete Green says:

The DNG converter is the only free way to allow new raw images to work in older versions of PS, if you dont’ want to use the DNG converter, you’ll need to be using the latest version of Photoshop.

46. Joy Kelley says:

I upgraded from CS to CS6 extended and now cannot see my Niks software. Any clues, anybody? Joy

47. after installing camera raw 7.2 for the Nikon D600 I have lost thumbnails for all my images
    I can not view them in CS6 or CS5 in 64bit. What is realy bad is that I can not view them in windows explorer Win 7 Pro 64Bit.
    How do I remove camera raw 7.2.
    I am in the Large Format Printing Business – This is not good

Please respond

48. raymondooi says:

Ok,
    This is completely amateurish of me but I am running CS4…All I want to do open my RAW2 files from panasonic GX-1 to look at. Not to digitally enhance, just open to show my mother. I have downloaded Camera Raw 5_2 and now DNG convertor 6_7. However, when I try convert these images from raw to DNG it appears I am moving planets but whenever I try opening these files into photoshop..sweet greyscale noise appears which does not represent my grandfather eating ham at last years christmas. Now I enjoy a challenge but this is just beginning to rip my undies a little..

Can someone help me please?? Do I need to upgrade to CS7 just for the pleasure of choosing /file/open/RAW2/PRESTO!!!!!.

49. Kevin Anderson says:

I am looking for a Camera Raw update for CS5 Extended. I currently have CR 6.7.0.339. Is there something newer for me to use with CS5 Extended, Ver. 12.1×64? I also installed LR 4.3 and I get the message regarding to update to CR 7.3.

50. Greg Danecki says:

I have Elements 8 for Mac and I am having trouble downloading pictures from my D6oo. I am downloading from the camera into the Photoshop browser. I am using 6.1 but after reading all the problems people are having with your new plugin I don’t know if I should try using it.

51. Jack Fong says:

Was using Photoshop CS 6. After converting some RAW to jpeg files with the Camera Raw on PS6, some files were found to have “There was an error writing this file” message on some files and all other extensions could not be saved as well.

Images on RAW was shot with Canon 50D and 1Dmk3. Please advise.

52. Mike Eller says:

I have Lightroom 4.2 and I am trying to do a HDR and it says that I need to update my Photoshot Camera raw plug in to version 7.2. I have version 6.7.0.339.
    It won’t let me up day the camera raw to 7.2.
    What do I do??

53. Dawn Gaietto says:

I am trying to use the DNG converter for the first time. I just downloaded version 7.3 and it will not open my canon 7D or 5D images. I tried backing up and downloading several older versions, and none will open the canon RAW images. What is going on here. I need to open and convert to DNG to use/save not for Photoshop use.

54. Leontien says:

Running Mac OS 10.7.5

I have Lightroom 4.3 and Photoshop CS6 (13.0.0). Edit in Photoshop doesn’t work, I need to update ACR. After I tried to instal the latest ACR 7.3 I get the message from the installer that the update could not be applied and this update is not applicable for me.

WTH?! Come, on Adobe you can do better than this.

55. Adrian says:

Hope Adove can support raw files from Nikon D800 soon.

56. marco vila says:

the blog update for ACR 7.3 works for me! thanks (opens the d600 nef files!)

57. Clyde says:

unable to download dng converter 7.2

58. Richard Roush says:

I have Photoshop CS5. I recently purchased a Nikon D600. Is there a version of Camera Raw for CS5 that supports the D600? If not, is one forthcoming? When?

59. Tracey Wilkinson says:

HI,
    I have quite happily been using LR4 and CS5 with my 5DMk2 files for some time without having to change the files to DNG. After cancelling an update (I think in CS5 as the cameras were not applicable to me) I now have the problem others above are having in that LR (4.3) says “This version of LR may require the Photoshop Camera Raw plug-In version 7.3 for full compatability”. The options, given that I can’t install 7.3 are “Render Using LR” or “Continue Anyway” – which should I select and is the compatabilty purely down to new camera models? Thanks

60. Ken says:

What about CS5 and the Nikon D600. Raw files will not work. When is an update going to fix this problem

61. sarahlee256 says:

I have downloaded DNG7.2 but still cannot open RAw files from my Canon 650d. When I open up the converter, I cannot choose a folder to convert images. If I try and convert a single image I am getting a write permission error. Help please

• reviveramesh says:

same problem – I have CS5 – cannot open arw files from sony alpha 99 – so freaking frustrated with adobe – sadly no one seems to care or there is no alternative – pathetic situation

62. Help Please says:

How do you defringe in CS6?