Lightroom 4.3 Release Candidate now available

Lightroom 4.3  is now available as a Release Candidate  on Adobe Labs.   The ‘release candidate’ label indicates that this update is well tested but would benefit from additional community testing before it is distributed automatically to all of our customers.  The final release of Lightroom 4.3 may have additional corrections or camera support.

Bugs Corrected in Lightroom 4.3 Release Candidate

The following bugs that were part the Lightroom 4 releases have been corrected. The team appreciates the very detailed feedback the community has provided on Lightroom 4 and we’re excited to correct a number of issues experienced by our customers. These issues have been FIXED:

• Unable to upload a large panorama to Adobe Revel via the Revel Publish Plugin
  • Unable to add a second photo to a page layout in a Book. This only occurred when the “Show Unused Photos” filter is selected in the filmstrip.
  • A photo can be flagged as both a “Pick” and “Reject” at the same time when using the Toolbar to apply flags
  • Using multiple fonts within the same text cell inside a Book can sometimes cause Lightroom to crash
  • Exposure becomes the active adjustment slider in the Basic panel (within Develop) when moving from image to image
  • Customers using Photoshop Elements 11 were unable to upgrade their catalogs in Lightroom 4
  • Custom Cell padding options in the Book Module reset in between Lightroom sessions
  • 1080p video files shot on iPhone 4S flicker on replay
  • Leaving the Book Module after using multiple text colors in the same text cell can sometimes cause the book to be lost.

Please provide feedback on your experience with the Lightroom 4.3 Release Candidate in our Feedback Portal (link - http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family)

New Camera Support in Lightroom 4.3 Release Candidates

• Panasonic DMC-GH3
  • Pentax K-5 II
  • Pentax K-5 IIs
  • Pentax Q10
* denotes Full Support.  Preliminary support was available in Lightroom 4.2

Release Notes

• Lightroom 4.3 RC now supports HiDPI displays within the Develop Module.

50 Responses to Lightroom 4.3 Release Candidate now available

1. At risk of sounding like a broken record… speed issues?

• Thomas says:

I’m a broken record too … speed issues anyone?
      Suggested UI and Workflow enhancements?

Adobe? Anybody there?

• Try it and see whether it’s better for you. Work continues behind the scenes, but they don’t always specifically say what they’ve changed. When they do performance tweaks, they often help for some people and not others. If they say “we’ve added performance improvements” then people are disappointed if it’s not faster for them. If they don’t say anything and people find that it’s faster, they have happy customers.

• Anthony says:

That document can be summed up by noting that it advises the reader to take a “holistic” approach. I find it sad but not altogether surprising that it offers both conflicting and misleading advice.

The fact remains that for a nontrivial fraction of users, LR3 runs acceptably but LR4 on the same hardware with the same catalog doesn’t. All the minor tweaks in the world don’t change the fact that this inspires little confidence, and I for one don’t feel like rolling the dice and ending up with LR unusable. The issues touched on by the referenced document should be expected to apply equally to LR3 and LR4, so it’s hardly a solution to whatever fundamental bug LR4 has that is tickled in instance after instance.

Adobe doesn’t get my upgrade (well, repurchase not upgrade, since there thoughtfully is no real upgrade option) dollars until such a time that they 1) admit that there’s a problem and 2) give me some confidence that I wouldn’t be shooting myself in the foot.

• Pete Green says:

I think we have admitted in several forum locations that we’re aware of the performance issues folks are seeing and are working hard to alleviate them through product updates (4.2, and 4.3) and through creating documentation with suggestions on how to improve LR’s performance. The issues are not simple nor easy to track down, they are sparse and only on certain folk’s computers.
            Without spending a dime, you are always welcome to download free 30 day trial to see how it performs on your system Anthony!

2. rt says:

for adobe people with speed issues DO NOT EXIST!!

LR4 is a flawless product and when you have speed issues it´s YOUR problem!

don´t expect adobe to fix YOUR problems… just buy more software from adobe!!

3. Sam says:

I second what Joel says…I’m a wedding photographer in Toronto and culling through 2000+ images and editing 600+, performance and stability is my number one concern.

4. Jack says:

so, there is still no fix for speed issue.

5. Guido says:

In this list of corrections is nothing that I need as a professional photographer.
    What about perfomance and speed?
    Work on it or you will loose a lot of costumers!

6. Little Caesar says:

I have reported this via the bug report page but it doesn’t seem that anything was done to address it. Moving blocks of images between folders is very, very slow for folders with a large number of images. I typically come back from a shoot with 10,000+ images in a single folder that i then organize by location or subject. This means moving hundreds of images at a time out of this ‘import’ folder. This is a very slow operation because Lighroom insists on refreshing the Library matrix view every few images. If I switch to a different folder during the move operation, the process goes like 10x faster. This is a REGRESSION from the 1.x / 2.x days. Back then, the move would only refresh the screen every hundred or so images so the move was very snappy. This was reproducible in my older library as well as in a newly created and optimized library (100,000+ images). Please fix this to refresh the matrix library view less aggressively when moving large numbers of images. This is on Windows 7 x64, 6-core i7-980X CPU, 12GB RAM, Lightroom on SSD, library (100,000+) on SATA RAID, preview cache on separate SATA RAID, camera raw cache on yet another fast disk

• Little Caesar says:

One more comment here. It shouldn’t matter but I have high quality 1:1 previous generated for all images in my library and there’s usually a few sidecar xmp files alongside some of the images being moved.

7. Stew says:

How about adding camera support for the iPhone 5? And why can’t the Lens Correction feature correctly recognize that I’ve got with this camera, instead of defaulting to the iPhone 3?

Thanks.

8. Raph says:

Thanks for the update. Any news on more freedom within the BOOK MODULE ? Using custom book sizes or creating or importing layout templates?. If not, let’s hope it comes soon – lots of people are tempted to switch to Aperture !

9. Marcus says:

Everytime I try to import photos into Lightroom 4.2 from my Canon 5D Mark III, Lightroom freezes up, and will not import all of the photos. Is this a known issue being worked on?

• Pete Green says:

Hi Marcus,
      We haven’t seen this yet, you could see if you could copy the photos to your hard drive and then import from there. See if that works. If so, then you’d be looking at usb connections with the camera, or using a card reader instead.

If you still have trouble, post on our feedback site so the team can help out: http://phtshp.us/report_a_problem

10. Nikita says:

Is there a plan to optimize the funktion for the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 (sharpening!!!) ?

11. MethCat says:

Why d3200 still isn’t supported in tethered capture mode? Even poor 1100d is.

12. I am *cautiously* suggesting this may have sorted out some of the speed issues for me (on the MacBookPro6,1 with 8G RAM and SSD). Going to have some larger shoots this week and see how it performs.

13. Alex says:

I would really appreciate support for the Leica Dlux-5.

14. Alex says:

The Leica Dlux-5 offers Lightroom with camera purchase but the camera and lens are not supported?

15. When emailing photos from Lightroom – File – Email Photos.., the email does not show as sent items in my mail software. I use Outlook 2010, but this is also the same in some other mail software, such as Yahoo.

I tried to make a Export preset using the description Lightroom Help /
    E-mail photos | Lightroom, Keywords: 333743, but when I use this Preset to export to email, I get an internal error, that says: “Unable to Export: An internal error has occured: Win32 API error 193 (“(unknown error)”) when calling ShellExecuteExW from AgWorkspace.ShellExecute” The photo is exported and saved, but Windows refuse to start or open a New email dialog window. I use Windows 7 Ultimate, LR 4.2 and Office 2010.

16. Snezhana says:

I miss, MISS the old LR functionality that would allow me to import photos taken only on a certain date.The “Sort by date” filter is not of a huge help when I have hundreds of pictures. Please bring it back!!! Thank you!

17. Ron Marchelletta says:

Receive this error message when exporting jpegs to desktop folder: “WIN32 API error 2. The system cannot find the file specified when calling ShellExecuteExw from Agworkspace.shellExecute.” However, the download does appear to complete OK.

18. Jr Moltz says:

Lightroom 3 worked pretty decent. LR4 was fine until updates of 4.1 & 4.2. Constant lockups when importing from files on the hardrive.

Yes, checked all of the usual performnce fixes, clearing cache & recycle bins, optimizing file, etc. It should not be so much work to get this program to work, should it?

I am running Intel Quad-core, 16 gb ram and 256gb SSD, so my hardware should not be a problem.

Seriously considering going back to LR3.

19. Jr Moltz says:

Yes, using Window 64 bit and have a 1gb graphics card. Crashes every other attempt to import from files on a internal sata ssd drive.

20. iyooha says:

Is there any plan to support Canon EOS 6D? I just brought a 6D myself, and I’m confused that the recent version of Lightroom does not support my EOS 6D because I have a plan to buy this software.

21. Tim says:

What about Canon D6?

22. Richard Love says:

Just downloaded 4.3. My first set of RAW and JPG files from my Canon G15 are indeed recognized but most of the RAW files are contaminated by large squares of something reminiscent of the test patterns on TVs in the 1970′s. This shows up in the preview as well as the library and develop modules. These large square areas involve 25% to 75% of the image file. JPGs are fine, of course. Any suggestions on the RAW files would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Pete Green says:

How were the images imported?
      Could you try to reimport them using a different method? (i.e. card reader?) and see if there was any corruption in the first transfer of images?

23. Ted York says:

I tried upgrading to Lightroom 4.2 but it was painfully slow to update when I made a change. I tried 4.3 but ran into the same problem. The developmental controls seem fine, but the image on the second monitor and the thumbnail don’t update in a timely manner. so I was force to go back to 4.1.

• Pete Green says:

Ted,
      If you go back to 4.3, could you try without the second monitor attached and see if it’s any faster?
      I know that’s not a solution, but rather an information gathering step
      Let us know how that goes

24. labro says:

hallo,
    same for me when i import, import is ok but render freezes since V3 but if i double clic on first image, it continues making the renders without any problem.
    very strange phenomenon.
    on my eeepc i use during holidays, win7 32 bits, it freezes only with images coming from panasonic lumix tz10 but on all other pc same for lumix and my d300.

i had only images from 2010 to 2012 and have added the images from 2007 so now i have roughly 30000 images on a i7 desktop pc 8gb ram win7 64 bits and lr4 has become slow and backup+optimization last 1 minutes every day.

i like lr4but really a slow software ! nothe that alienslin plugins are very fast and ononesoftware are really slow. this shows that we can still find good enginneers optimizing the codes instead of taking the brand new technologies just for their soft

best regards
    marc

25. Erik says:

Hi

Any chance to see support for the new Canon EOS 6D soon?

• Pete Green says:

Hi Erik,

Support for the 6D has been added in LR 4.3 — blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/12/lightroom-4-3-now-available.html

26. Norbert says:

A what about a Fuji XPro-1 support worthy of th name ?

27. Steve says:

Please add Raw support for the Canon 6D

28. Lisa Ouellette says:

I installed 4.3 this afternoon, and since then…wow, slow. Using the adjustment brush, I need to close my eyes and count to 10 before seeing the effect. LR4.2 had seemed to speed things up, but this 4.3 is an exercise in deep breathing. I’m thinking of reverting to 4.2 until this is sorted out.

29. Ralph Crawford says:

Downloaded Lightroom 4.3 and all went well until I tried to import photos.
    4.3 does not recognize files from my 5DIII or 7D Raw or jpeg.
    Just checked and the SonyRX100 doesn’t work either.
    All worked well in 4.2.
    Thanks to anyone who can help me.
    I tried reinstalling it. Nope.

30. Ralph Crawford says:

I found my problem myself. The reason I could’t import files was that 4.3 made one slight change under file management. The arrow must be pointing at a+w.
    HOWEVER! I went back to 4.2 because 4.3 is just too slow.

31. karen koshy says:

I have found release 4.3 slow to launch and once it launches it takes so much computer resource. Has anyone else found it slow to launch or not launch at all at startup.

• Pete Green says:

Slow to launch, and not launching at all are pretty different symptoms Karen.
      Which is yours doing?
      Are you on Mac or Windows?
      See if these suggestions for Lightroom Performance can help out: helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/performance-hints.html

32. George Brooks says:

I have Lightroom 3 and would like to remove it entirely from my computer without loosing any of my photos without updating to a later version. Please tell my I can and what I must do. Your help will be most appreciative and a reflection off the caring nature of the Adobe company.

Thanks, again.

George E Brooks

33. James Burke says:

just wondering if the LR4.3 supports Nikon D3200? I wasnt able to update to LR4.4 because everytime that i did the files would crash my laptop or freeze up.