Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

Many software issues are resolved by simply updating to the latest version, below are resources to help you keep Lightroom up to date.

Table of Contents:

What is the most current version?

Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6

• The most current version of Lightroom CC is 2015.2 & Lightroom 6 is 6.2

Lightroom 5

• The most current version of Lightroom 5 is 5.7.1

Lightroom 4

• The most current version of Lightroom 4 is 4.4.

Lightroom 3

• The most current version of Lightroom 3 is 3.6.

How do I check for and install the most current updates?

Creative Cloud:

Launch the Creative Cloud app from your Applications (Mac) or Programs (Win) folder if it’s not already open.

Click on the Creative Cloud icon in the top menu (Mac) or the system tray in the lower left (Win) to open the Creative Cloud window. Click on Apps to display available updates:

Note: If you encounter errors or problems updating see: Troubleshoot Updates Errors

Lightroom 5 or earlier (this will also work for Lightroom CC):

Choose Help>Check for Updates…:

How do I verify which version of Lightroom I have?

To verify you have the latest version of Lightroom:

Lightroom 2015.1.1 & 6.1.1

• Choose Help > System Info…

Lightroom 5.7.1 and older

• Mac: Choose Lightroom > About Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
  • Win: Choose Help > About Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

What issues have been addressed in the updates?

Sharad Mangalick and Tom Hogarty have created blog posts outlining the key changes and improvements in each Lightroom release:

Lightroom CC 2015 / Lightroom 6

Lightroom 5

Lightroom 4

Lightroom 3

What if the computer that Lightroom is on is not connected to the internet?

You’ll need to find a computer that is connected to the internet, and download the update to an external drive or media that you can move to the computer that’s not connected. (Note: You can install the product and updates offline, but you will need to have momentary internet access to sign-in and activate your software)

Lightroom 6 (the same links work for Lightroom CC):

Lightroom 5

For perpetual license customers, download here:

Lightroom 4.4

Lightroom 3.6

All updates/All versions:

** Important direct download instructions (only required for links that are followed by ** See important download instructions below) To avoid the error “Access Denied: You don’t have permission to access “…” on this server” follow the instructions below:

1. Temporarily turn off firewalls, website/cookie blocking,  or antivirus software.
      2. Visit this page then sign in with your Adobe ID (if asked) before clicking any of the download links above.
      3. Close any windows that popped up and cancel any downloads that started.
      4. Download an installer – click or right-click on the desired link above and choose “Save Link As…” from the popup menu – and save all files to the same place (e.g. your Desktop).

For help installing after downloading the files complete , see this document: Start the installer after downloading.

How do I verify Photoshop and Camera Raw are up to date

If you use Photoshop and Camera Raw together with Lightroom, head over to Jeffrey Tranberry’s article for instructions on how to verify that Photoshop and Camera Raw are up to date.

19 Responses to Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

1. Wilfried Klein says:

Hello, I have installed the update version of Lr 5, but now I am missing the tone curve tab in the development module. How can I get this tab back?
    And how get I all my fotos from Lr4 in Lr5?

with kind regards

Wilfried Klein

2. Greer Leo-Smith says:

Can I upgrade from Lightroom 4.4 to Lightroom 5 or do I have to purchase Lightroom 5?

• Pete Green says:

Hi Greer,

Yup, you can upgrade from LR 4.4 to LR 5, but you’ll want to purchase the upgrade.

3. Ed Costa says:

Can Go from lightroom 3.6 to Lightroom 5

4. Fra says:

I have just bought a Nikon D7100 but my Lightroom 3 does not support its raw files.
    Any chance that an updated version will be released soon?
    thank you!

• Sharad Mangalick says:

Please download and use the DNG Converter to get support for the Nikon D7100 in Lightroom 3.

5. Thomas Cristello says:

I currently have LR 4.4 on my Windows 7 machine. When I go to Check for Updates, it says that my software is up to date, no updates available at this time. How to I update to 5.2?

6. Nick Andriash says:

Just upgraded to Lightroom 5 from version 4, but version 4 is still on my Computer. Is it safe to delete the older version?

• Pete Green says:

Hi Nick,

Yup, as soon as LR 5 is up and running and working for you, go ahead and uninstall LR4.

7. Per Skjoldborg says:

I have version 2.7 running on an older laptop with windows vista (32 bit), but now want to move to a stationary PC running windows 7 (64 bit).

Can I install my 2.7 version on win. 7 and upgrade to LR version 5 64 bit.
    I gues I shall use the upgrade product model 65215225 ?

• Pete Green says:

Hi Per,

You can upgrade from LR2.7 to LR5, and on the new computer don’t need to install LR 2.7 before installing LR5.

8. William Emmett says:

I loaded Lightroom 5 on my Windows 8 laptop, tested it and used it successfully. My laptop updated itself to Windows 8.1. I took the laptop to a photo shoot, and could not find Lightroom on my machine. I could only find one readme, and a empty labeled “adobe_Lightroom. ” I tried to run my disk, and the laptop said the setup file could not be found, on the C: drive, nor on the D: drive with the CD installed. This severe problem caused me to loose my contracted shoot with a car dealer.

• Pete Green says:

Was there any rollback that happened during the OS update William?

Sorry for the trouble and lost business, we don’t do any sorts of auto-uninstall during OS updates. Something must have either rolled back if the software was completely gone from your system.

Hope you’ve been able to sort it by now. Let us know how we can help.

9. Roland Penttila says:

I already own Lightroom 5 and have updated to LR 5.4. Is the LR CC version different? If not, what is the advantage of owning LR CC?

• There is no Lightroom ‘CC’ – Lightroom 5.x is part of the Photoshop Photography Program – which includes Photoshop CC, Lightroom and Lightroom mobile. The advantage of owning the Photoshop Photography Program is you get Lightroom mobile, Photoshop CC, Lightroom, and all the updates and upgrades as part of your membership – in addition to 20 GB of sync share storage (Lightroom mobile doesn’t count against this separate storage) and Behance Prosite.

10. Lizzie1616 says:

I am a CC Member
    In Lightroom, I click Help/Check for updates and I get a message saying that my software is up to date and no updates are needed at this time. However, system info indicates that I am running Lightroom Version 4.4 on my Mac. If I am a CC Member, I thought I would always be able to upgrade to the most current version. Can anyone please advise?