Lightroom 5.3 now available

Lightroom 5.3 is now available as a final release on Adobe.com and through the update mechanism in Lightroom 5.  The goal of this release is to provide additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom.

Release Notes

Sony   Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
Sony   Sony E 20mm F2.8
Sony   Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sony   Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA
Sony   Sony FE 55mm F1.8 ZA

Bugs Corrected in Lightroom 5.3

• Issues when upgrading catalog from previous versions of Lightroom.
  • Incorrect photos are displayed after switching away from a Publish Collection.
  • Catalog optimization did not finish, and was not optimizing the catalog
  • Feather of clone spots is set to 0 after upgrading catalog to Lightroom 5.
  • Auto White Balance settings are not saved to Snapshots.
  • Sony 18-55mm lens is detected as the Hasselblad 18-55mm lens for lens correction.
  • Increased Update Spot Removal history steps when in Before and After view.
  • Slideshows start playing automatically even when the Manual Slideshow option is enabled.
  • On certain images, red eye removal behaved incorrectly
  • Incorrect White Balance settings applied when synching Auto WB from source to targets
  • Video playback stops when dragging on the scrubber.
  • Errors when publishing photos to Flickr through the Publish Service.
  • Option + drag on Edit Pin behavior is functioning incorrectly.
  • Black border appears around the exported slideshow video.
  • Catalog containing images processed with PV2003 were adding a post-crop vignette when catalog upgraded to Lightroom 5.
  • Pressing the “Reset” button while holding down the Shift key caused Lightroom to exit abruptly.
  • Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction were not applied to exported images that were resized to less than 1/3 of the original image size.
  • The Esc key did not exit the slideshow after right clicking screen with mouse during slideshow playing.
  • Import dialog remained blank for folders that contain PNG files with XMP sidecars.
  • Metadata panel displayed incorrect information after modifying published photo.  Please note that this only occurred when metadata was changed after the photo was published.
  • In the metadata of exported files, the application is listed as 5.0 instead of the actual Lightroom version (such as 5.2, etc.).
  • An Error Occurs When Playing a slideshow having an image Flipped Horizontally or Vertically.
  • Added Camera Matching color profiles (Natural, Muted, Portrait, Vivid) for the following Olympus cameras:
    • Olympus E-5
    • Olympus XZ-2
    • Olympus XZ-10

Download Links:

Lightroom 5.3: Windows | Mac

91 Responses to Lightroom 5.3 now available

1. Scott Thorp says:

Adding a profile for go pro would be superb!

2. Pat Cassity says:

Why is there not a lens profile for the Nikon PC-E lens? Specifically the 24mm.

3. Michael Z Rork says:

Where’s the fix for the Full Screen Preview bug where exiting with anything OTHER than “F” takes you out of Full Screen Mode??? This was broken with 5.1 and still not fixed in 5.3? (At least, it’s not listed. I’m downloading the update now.)

4. Terry says:

Just tried to upgrade and my 5.2 says it is updated to the latest version. So where is 5.3?

5. Frank Burnside says:

How come when I do “Check for updates” it tells me my verision 5.2 is up to date. “No updates available…”

6. Frank Burnside says:

Comments on G+ indicate I am not alone.

7. Tim Roper says:

Support for the Ricoh GR would be nice. It must be as popular as some of those other cameras that were added.

8. Jan says:

Do you have a lens profile for the Sony 16-50 f2.8? Thats the only reason to buy Lightroom.

9. Wizake says:

I still have an issue and I see it’s not in the list of bugfixes: When I use an external editor (i.e. Imagenomic Portraiture) from Lightroom 5.2, I generate a TIFF, make my modifications in the editor, save and close, go back to Lightroom, the TIFF is not updating with the changes i made. i have to swtich to another image and back to the TIFF to see the changes.

Am I the only one with thsi issue?

10. Itai N says:

When I get the update notice inside Lightroom, I get that 404 page
    (Even when navigating manually inside Adobe site)

Only you link is taking me to the update page.

11. Feng Chun says:

Are the new features to ACR 8.3 available to LR 5.3 as well?

12. _Jure says:

I thought the output sharpening and noise reduction for 1/3 size bug was fixed in 5.2 – http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/09/lightroom-5-2-now-available.html

Whats up with that.

13. Christian Hirsch says:

When will be a tethered capture support for EOS 70D added?

14. nubye says:

so the cropping issue still isn’t fixed?

15. Pete Allen says:

When I check for updates it shows 5.3 available but when I click on it nothing happens. I guess it must still be uploading to the server.

16. Ben says:

How long before the Canon 400mm 2.8 IS II (Version 2) gets added to the lens profile list? IT has been out for almost two years now and it is so painful to have to choose the version 1 lens profile manually each time. Cheers.

17. Richard Kilpatrick says:

And yet, still no support for Sigma’s Merrill (and SD1) range. It’s been years now – the SD1 was shown at Photokina 2010, shipped in 2011, and the DP Merrill family is not exactly sitting on the shelves – realistically, Sigma’s range of Foveon bodies will comfortably outsell things like the Phase One IQ2 models (if not every single medium format body produced on an annual basis), and unlike Phase One (who have a very credible rival to Lightroom in Capture One) and Hasselblad (who have Phocus), Sigma’s 15.4/46Mp users have very few options for processing. One third party app for Mac OS, and Sigma’s own Photo Pro software which is improving, but is as yet unable to crop, rotate, resize freely etc.

Please let us know – is support for the SD/DP Merrill ever going to come, and if not, why not? What is the barrier?

18. I have noticed a bug, when exporting images, iat the end of exporting it comes ill with out of memory even though I have 4gb of memory installed, also when exporting with a watermark doesn’t matter where the watermark in it never exports the watermark on all images it may complete approx 10 images with the watermark the. The rest is blank

19. Brice says:

Would be great to have lens correction for latest version of Canon big tele lens such as 400mm f/2.8 IS II USM, 500mm f/4 IS II USM and 600mm f/4 IS II USM.

20. Madison says:

Please release a ACR 8.3 plugin seperately as well. My Appl. Man. only maxes out ACR at v 7.4 and thet’s it even though CS6 is supposed to work with v8 as well (Lightroom even requests it when transferring files between the two). I can’t for the love of GOD understand why there is no seperate ACR 8.3 plugin available and the updater won’t “see” beyond 7.4 -> frustrated.

• Josh says:

If you have CC your CC manager will see the versions, and if you have CS6 your application manager will see them. If your application manager isn’t seeing the new updates you need to uninstall all your Adobe products and re-install them.

I know that is stupid and a pain, but it is the only way to reset them when they stop working. I’ve gone through that on two different computers and believe me I spent weeks working on it and the only way I found was to re install (I’m a tech so I like to try to fix things as a learning exercise). In fact, on one computer I had to actually delete the Adobe folder from C:\Program Files\ and C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files\Common Files and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files — That was the only way to get rid of the bad data in that case. But be warned that deleted all your settings, presets, plugins, etc. so you will want to ensure you have a way of re-installing them. (you can always restore them if they are just sitting in your Recycle Bin, but it can get complicated)

You can download the current versions if you find the links, but beware if your apps aren’t fully up-to-date then they might not perform quite right.

MAC

WIN

21. Marc says:

Why isn’t this update showing up in Creative Cloud?
    Can I download direct?

22. It would be interestin that the crop tool could support some crop presets based on pixels, instead of just aspect ratio.
    So If a have a 36MP, 22MP, 18MP, 12MP I could take advantage of the extra pixels and crop everything to, let’s say 12MP. It would be like a digital tele-converter. Very useful for nature photographers.

Any plans to support the CUDA processors from the GPU to enhance operations in real-time like sharpening ?

Thank you.

23. Aleksander Torset Eriksen says:

Nice to see the progress! I have tree wishes though.

1. Options for the curve to make it affect color or luminosity only. With options like that, professionals are going to use Lightroom to color correct and not photoshop only. At the moment – if I care about the WB – I have to open the images in PS and do the adjustments there.

2. A second curve. If you make first one as an color curve, second can help improving contrast in areas.

3. Please add option to lock second screen in grid. This is also important in my eyes. I got two monitors where I use first one as loupe view or develope in it – second monitor is used as gridview. Sometimes the second monitor change from grid to loupe, and its annoying. We should at least have an option to lock second monitor to grid, even if we use grid in primary monitor. I find it more confusing and less productive compared to other applications, ex. Bridge and Photoshop side by side.

And this is just a minor request. Nikon and Canon got camera profiles in “Camera calibration”. I think Fujifilm’s X-series could get the same, cause we love those colors also. (Velvia, Astia, Provia)

24. Thomas says:

Hmm, still no lens profile for the Sony DT 16-50 2.8 SSM

25. Attila Karpati says:

hello,

i would like to know when tethering support for the nikon d610 will be added, because with lightroom 5.3, which i downloaded today, there is none.

thanks

• Sharad Mangalick says:

We’re waiting for the camera manufacturer to update their SDK for this camera. Once that is done, we can build tether functionality.

26. Thanks!

Also – tethering stops randomly at times, since 5.x. When LR is busy, is my impression.
    Is this known/being addressed? Important in a production environment like mine.

Michael

27. Larry Killer says:

Just a question here. I purchased Lightroom 5 as a stand alone a few months back. Then a few weeks ago I purchased the Adobe Creative package of photographers which included Lightroom and Photoshop CC. I uploaded Photoshop CC but kept my LR the same. Will my LR automatically receive the 5.3 upgrade or will I need to do something to get the update?

28. NA says:

Am I the only one who just updated to Lightroom 5.3 and has only the new lens profiles, all others are gone that have been there in Lightroom 5.2 before? Is this a bug?

29. Konstantin says:

Still waiting official Adobe lens profiles for Sony RX100M2 or RX100 cameras. Please, do this.

30. Rick Estrada says:

Good to see that publish bug has been fixed.
    Downloading now to confirm it works for me!

31. Tobias says:

Why is there a lens profile for the Canon EF-S 55-250 STM, but not for the much more common kit lens Canon EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 STM?

32. Mark says:

How can additional lens profiles be requested? I’d like to see one for the Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G ED lens. There aren’t any good third-party profiles currently available. I’d prefer to see an Adobe profile over a home made one.

Thanks.

33. Wayne says:

1st download and install attempt failed… can find Adobe_Lightroom_x64.msi….. just saying.

34. Wayne says:

2nd attempt same error… installer doesn’t work on my P.C. running windows 7 64bit with i5 processor.

35. Stuart says:

As someone else mentioned, tethered shooting with Lightroom 5.x, a Nikon D4 and a MacBook Pro has been unusable. I can shoot a few images then Lightoom looses the connection. If I use the exact same set up (cables, camera, computer) in Lightroom 4 I can shoot tethered all day. I’ve seen many other people posting the same experience so I know I’m not alone. Any word as to when I might be able to use Lightroom 5 in a working studio environment? Thanks!

36. Robert says:

Exit Code: 7
    Please see specific errors below for troubleshooting. For example, ERROR:

————————————– Summary ————————————–

– 0 fatal error(s), 2 error(s)

———– Payload: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 5.3.0.0 Adobe_Lightroom_x64.msi_5.3 ———–

ERROR: Install MSI payload failed with error: 1624 – Fout tijdens het toepassen van transforms. Controleer of de opgegeven transformpaden geldig zijn.
    MSI Error message:

ERROR: Third party payload installer Adobe_Lightroom_x64.msi failed with exit code: 1624

Error with installing within CC

• Chris says:

When is the LR CC installer going to be fixed or is anyone else getting the following and knows a fix?
      Exit Code: 7
      Please see specific errors below for troubleshooting. For example, ERROR:
      ————————————– Summary ————————————–

– 0 fatal error(s), 2 error(s)

ERROR: Install MSI payload failed with error: 1624 – Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.
      MSI Error message:

————————————————————————————-

• Emma says:

I had this same error and managed to get around it by running the .msi file that the CC app downloaded to a temp folder on my own. Steps were:

1. Find the location Adobe_Lightroom_X64.msi (in a a temp folder)
        2. Run it and install (serial number was already pre-filled out)
        3. Restart the CC desktop app

It then appeared as installed under ‘Your Apps’ and works as usual.

• Pete Green says:

What if you download using the direct links provided at the bottom of this blog post Robert?

37. Cezary says:

When can we finally expect the installers for the standalone and creative cloud versions of Lightroom to be integrated? In the meantime, can we please get direct download links to the creative cloud versions of the Lightroom installers?
    Also, for whatever reason, my Photoshop CC installation on Windows doesn’t see the new Camera Raw update (the installation on my MacBook did and updated itself). It’s still showing my Camera Raw plugin as 8.0.0.137. I really don’t want to go through a complete uninstall reinstall just to get my Camera Raw plugin updated.

38. Dr. Wilfried Forschner says:

After import LR creates folders starting i.e. with 2013-01-01 down to 2013-12-31. So the new pictures ar at the end and I have to scroll down and down and down to get to the actual date. Why can´t i change this order that the newest date is on top ? In the grid view i can sort my pictures “A-Z2 or “Z-A”. Why does that nor work for the folders ?
    Regards
    wif

39. Devin Hunt says:

The Nikon D610 is now supported in ACR, is tethered shooting with the D610 now supported in LR 5.3?

40. Wayne Butterfield says:

So far no fix for the one big problem I have with Lr5. In the Develop module, when I press F for full screen, the image usually but not always turns blurry, and stays that way unless I use an arrow key to go forward or backward an image and then return to the image I want to view, after which it quickly focuses correctly. The images that I forward or backward to, by the way, quickly focus correctly. This doesn’t happen from the Library module, and doesn’t even happen from the Slideshow module when I press escape to exit and then press F and click to enlarge. There is no indication that Lr5 is loading the image or anything else while I get the blurry image, and it doesn’t focus correctly in such cases no matter how long I wait (and does focus correctly very quickly after I use the arrow keys as above). I would really like to be able to count on full screen mode to show me how sharp the image is, but given this problem I can’t. Not sure if this is the place to bring this up, but I’ve tried posting elsewhere with no clear response. Sure hope this gets fixed in 5.4!

41. Yolanda says:

I am experiencing a frustrating bug since upgrading to LR 5.3 today. When Auto Sync is turned on, any adjustments I make to an image are automatically applied to the adjacent photo (next photo on the bottom panel) even if no other photos are highlighted (selected). In fact, at all times, the Source line above the bottom panel says “2 selected” when I have a single photo selected. This is a new bug an dI have never experienced this when working in any previous version of LR. (System info: iMac 3 Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 OS 10.9)

42. Leigh Miller says:

Nice to see the new color profiles for the Olympus Camera system.

I noticed that there were no specific lens profiles though someone has suggested that the corrections are attached to the jpegs/RAW files.

Is that so?

43. Argon says:

When export with resize (in my case short size=1500, don’t enlarge), it produces full size photo (36 Mp instead of 3.3 Mp expected)/

44. Ed says:

“Errors when publishing photos to Flickr through the Publish Service.”

Sorry Adobe, but at least one of the errors still exists and it’s a major one: When republishing to -some- sets on Flickr the photos are posted as new and do not update the existing photos. This happens to all photos in a given set, but it doesn’t happen to all sets. The support ticket I opened in 7/2013 was quietly closed on 11/29/2013 without any explanation. It may have been closed because someone felt it was addressed, but a note and confirmation first would have been nice. I’ve had this problem since LR 4.0 and still have it in 5.3.

45. Peter O'Connor says:

Does this install automatically remove V5.0 ?

46. Leslie Hergenrider says:

Tried to update to 5.3 on desktop computer (windows 7 pro) and it only downloads 5.2 . I went back to HELP, check for updates and it shows 5.3 and then download it does the 5.2. My laptop (windows 7 home) updated to 5.3 with no problems.

47. Colin Bostock says:

Have been notified by Adobe that an update for Lightroom is available.
    So far so good.
    Having downloaded the update and started to follow instructions I cannot proceed any further.
    I have Lightroom 5.2 on my PC so must not, as per instructions, use the .exe file which will give a new installation but open the “folder”.
    Well, excuse me, but how?
    OK, so I right click but am then presented with full install items for 32 or 64 bits.
    No update file or procedure given.
    I will need my serial number etc according to the documentation. Why. Its Creative Cloud for which I am subscribed and my Lightroom already has my serial number. It’s only an update!
    Sorry, but due to this pathetic update procedure, I have to stop and think.
    Will my current version be somehow compromised?
    Cannot upgrade.
    I thought the Creative Cloud idea was to make all this nonsense history.
    Have I missed something and its me not Adobe?
    If that is the case why can’t it be obvious and straight forward.
    Lastly, I am a new user to Lightroom but have been using Adobe software for many years, mainly on Macs so if I cannot proceed with this update on my PC something is clearly wrong. And what is wrong is that Adobe is lazy in assisting their users with minimum instructions. I typed “lightroom upgrade” on their website which was a waste of time.
    To be constructive Adobe. Tell an employee in the Lightroom department to go home and ask a member of their family to update Lightroom and see what happens.

48. Wayne G Butterfield says:

Thus far no fix for the one big problem I have with Lr5. In the Develop module, when I press F for full screen, or zoom to 1:1 and press F, the image usually but not always turns blurry almost immediately, and stays that way unless I use an arrow key to go forward or backward an image and then return to the image I want to view, after which it quickly focuses correctly. The images that I forward or backward to, by the way, quickly focus correctly. This doesn’t happen from the Library module, and doesn’t even happen from the Slideshow module when I press escape to exit and then press F and click to enlarge. There is no indication that Lr5 is loading the image or anything else while I get the blurry image, and it doesn’t focus correctly in such cases no matter how long I wait (and does focus correctly very quickly after I use the arrow keys as above). I would really like to be able to count on full screen mode to show me how sharp the image is, but given this problem I can’t. Not sure if this is the place to bring this up, but I’ve tried posting elsewhere with no clear response. Sure hope this gets fixed in 5.4!

49. Camera profile support for the Fuji x100s would be awesome!

50. Hello
    Will there be a support for Olympus Micro Four Third lenses?
    Cheers
    Juergen

• Leigh Miller says:

Olympus lenses are already corrected in camera and reflected in the RAW files. The only thing you need to do in LR is select to color profile for portrait, muted, natural…etc.

51. john schuster says:

I have tried to download the 5.3 update several times and each time it says the software was installed but the Lightroom version still comes up as 5.2. Where is 5.3?

52. Lindsey says:

When I try to import RAW files from my Nikon D300 into LR5 on my Macbook Pro (both are new upgrades for me) it says the files are not supported. Help? I haven’t been able to find the answer anywhere. I moved from a PC laptop to a Macbook Pro, so not sure if it’s just something I’ve missed somewhere. Thanks!

53. Thomas Schaufelberger says:

Lens profiles for Kit Lenses “Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS II” and “Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS II” are still missing. They are similar to Lenses without the “II” in Lens names. Is it possible to add missing lens profiles?

54. BrianCornish says:

I keep trying to download Lightroom 5.3, and when I click the link, nothing seems to happen. I idon’t find any downloads anywhere.

55. Larry902 says:

Unable to install the 5.3 update. I receive the following message. “Error 1500. Another installation is in progress. You must complete the installation before continuing this one.” Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do?

56. Rory Dillon says:

I have Lightrrom 5. in the lens corrections profile. I don’t see my Sony 75-300mm lens model number sal75300. will it be added to lightroom 5. I shot in raw.Thanks

57. Dania says:

I just installed 5.0, and it attempted to update to 5.3, however, after the download, I tell it to run the exe, but it gets partially done and then says it cannot extract the archive attempt to download again. I have looked online and it suggested turning off my antivirus, which I did. Attempted again, still nothing. How can I get this update to install on my system?

58. DaraD says:

Downloaded Lightroom 5.3 from cloud and cannot connect the Flickr publishing service within the program to upload pics. It says no internet connection. Please help!

59. Ron says:

Hi there,
    When can the latest LR version handle the RAW files of a Fujifilm X-T1?
    Regards,
    Ron

60. Fred P. says:

Puke 5.3. Have owned Sony 7R since December and have yet to download one single raw image.

61. Y says:

Hi,
    I have lost the ‘curves tool’ completely on the right hand side tab. How do I retrieve this?
    Thanks

62. Eric Watters says:

I have updated to the newest version of LR, actually 5.4 at this point, and it still doesn’t seem to support tethered capture with the Nikon D5300 even though it clearly states above that the 5.3 update added camera support for the D5300. Any idea why LR still only shows camera not detected when tethered? Thanks.

63. Travis says:

You may have already answered this but does this update take care of the brush tool glitches? When I try to use the brush to paint a mask, the tool disappears as I approach the eyes of my subjects. I can’t paint a mask and enhance the eyes.