Camera Raw 8.4 and DNG Converter 8.4 now available

Camera Raw 8.4 is now available as a final release for Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC.  This release provides new features including new preview controls, red eye correction for pets and updates to Local Corrections.  In addition, this release also includes bug fixes, support for new cameras and new lenses.  DNG Converter 8.4 is provided for customers using versions of Photoshop older than Photoshop CS6.

As mentioned here, updates to Camera Raw 8 for Photoshop CS6 only include new camera support, lens profile support, and bug fixes.  The new features listed in the release notes are only available in Photoshop CC.

Please note that Camera Raw 8.4 and DNG Converter 8.4 will not work on Windows XP, Windows Vista or Mac OSX 10.6.  Impacted customers can continue either update to compatible operating system or continue to use Camera Raw 8.3 for Photoshop CS6.  Photoshop CS6 customers on Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion), Mac OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) or Mac OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) will not be impacted and will continue to receive updated camera support through future ACR 8.x dot releases.

Release Notes

Features:

Updates to the Preview Controls.  The main idea is a simple “Before/After” set of image settings. Details:

• The Preview checkbox has been replaced by three buttons in the bottom-right of the ACR main dialog. From left to right, they are:
    • Mode: Click this button to cycle through left/right and top/bottom side-by-side and split-view modes. Click-and-hold this button to bring up a popup menu for directly choosing Preview modes and accessing the Preview Preferences. Keyboard shortcut: Press Q to cycle through the Preview modes.
    • Swap: Click this button to swap Before/After settings. Keyboard shortcut: Press P to swap Before/After settings for the primary selected image only; press Shift-P to swap Before/After settings for all selected images.
    • Copy: Click this button to copy the After settings to the Before settings. This is useful for establishing a temporary “checkpoint” for your image editing session. Keyboard shortcut: Press Option-P to copy After settings to the Before settings for the primary selected image only. Press Shift-Option-P to copy After settings to the Before settings for all selected images.
    • The After preview image always reflects the current slider and tool settings (White Balance, Exposure, etc.).
    • The standard single-image view always shows the After state.
    • In the side-by-side and split-view modes, the Before settings are always shown on the left or top, and the After settings are always shown on the right or bottom.
    • The Preview Preferences dialog supports customizing the Preview modes used for cycling and some drawing options.
    • When using any tool other than Zoom and Pan (hand) in a side-by-side or split-view, changes are only allowed on the After view. Using the Crop tool will put you back into the standard single-image mode.
    • Zooming and panning on one view will automatically zoom and pan the other.

Pet Eye correction: The Red Eye tool can now correct bright pupils in animals. Details:

• Select ‘Pet Eye’ from the new drop down menu in the Red Eye tool to fix pet eyes.
  • Add catchlights to Pet Eye corrections using the ‘Add Catchlight’ checkbox (enabled by default).
  • Reposition catchlights to create a more natural look by dragging within the overlay that surrounds the catchlight.

Changes to Local Corrections:

• Added a mechanism to quickly reset all local correction sliders (Temperature, Exposure, etc.) to zero: right-click on a local adjustment pin and choose “Reset Local Correction Settings” from the context menu. Another way is to click on a local adjustment pin, and then choose “Reset Local Correction Settings” from the flyout menu.
  • Added “Fill Image” to context menu for Radial Filter. Right-click on a radial filter adjustment pin and choose “Fill Image” from the context menu to resize the radial filter to cover the image area. (Shortcut: double-click inside the ellipse overlay for a radial filter adjustment to accomplish the same task.)
  • Added “Check All” and “Check None” buttons to Synchronize, New Preset, Save Settings, and Copy/Paste (Bridge) dialog boxes. These are shortcuts for checking all/none of the check boxes.
  • Added keyboard shortcut: When using the Crop Tool or Straighten Tool, press the X key to flip the crop aspect ratio (landscape to portrait, portrait to landscape).
  • Added explanatory note to Lens Correction “Profile” panel to indicate when built-in (metadata-based) lens profiles are automatically applied to the image.

Added context menu to Histogram pane. The context menu can be used to enable Lab color readouts, even when the Workflow Options are set to another color space (such as Adobe RGB). The context menu and also be used to toggle the shadow, highlight, and gamut clipping warnings.

Added Camera Matching color profiles (PROVIA/STANDARD, Velvia/VIVID, ASTIA/SOFT, MONOCHROME, etc.) for the following Fujifilm cameras:

• Fujifilm X-A1
  • Fujifilm X-E1
  • Fujifilm X-E2
  • Fujifilm X-M1
  • Fujifilm X-S1
  • Fujifilm X-T1
  • Fujifilm X-Pro1
  • Fujifilm X10
  • Fujifilm X20
  • Fujifilm XF1
  • Fujifilm XQ1
  • Fujifilm X100
  • Fujifilm X100S

New Camera Support in Camera Raw 8.4

• Canon EOS 1200D (REBEL T5, KISS X70)
  • Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II (*)
  • Casio EX-100
  • DJI Phantom
  • Fujifilm X-T1
  • Hasselblad H5D-50c
  • Hasselblad HV
  • Nikon 1 V3 (*)
  • Nikon COOLPIX P340
  • Nikon D3300
  • Nikon D4S
  • Olympus OM-D E-M10 (*)
  • Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS40 (DMC-TZ60, DMC-TZ61)
  • Phase One IQ250
  • Samsung NX mini (*)
  • Samsung NX30
  • Sony Alpha a5000 (ILCE-5000)
  • Sony Alpha a6000 (ILCE-6000)

* denotes preliminary support

New Lens Profile Support in Camera Raw 8.4

Mount Name
Apple   Apple iPhone 5c
Canon   Canon EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS USM
Canon   Canon EF 200-400mm f/4 L IS USM EXT
Canon   Canon EF-S 18-55mm /3.5-5.6 IS STM
Canon   Canon EF-S 25-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
Canon   Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM A013
Canon   Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 ZE
DJI   Phantom Vision FC200 (for raw files)
Fujifilm   Fujifilm X100S
Sony Alpha   Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM
Sony Alpha   Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM
Sony Alpha   Sony 50mm F1.8 SAM
Sony Alpha   Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM
Sony Alpha   Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM

Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 8.4

• Fix bug that prevented opening Nikon D800/D800E raw images shot with a DX lens in Live View Video mode.
  • Grain effect now varies from image to image to facilitate editing time-lapse and video frame sequences.
  • When applying Grain, occasionally vertical artifacts would appear along the bottom edge of a photo.
  • Occasionally Bridge CC would exit abruptly when browsing TIFF images.
  • Enabled Mac 32bit support so APD in Bridge is now functioning
  • Fix incorrect white balance behavior for Nikon D3100 raw files when using Camera Matching color profiles.

Download Links:

DNG Converter 8.4:

Windows – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5739

Mac – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5738

74 Responses to Camera Raw 8.4 and DNG Converter 8.4 now available

1. Nolivfr says:

Hi,
    No Sony Alpha DT 35 f/1.8 (SAL35F18)? I thought it was in the lens profile list?
    Nolivfr

• refillable says:

New lens support, not all of them were listed.

• Nolivfr says:

I know, but it was on the release candidate list and it’s not on the final list above.
        Perhaps a typo? Because the Sony 35 G is there 2 times.

Edit : the lens profile is in the update, I can choose it in Lightroom 5.4. So it’s an error in the lens profile list.

2. John Roushkolb says:

Bridge CS6 support not available with this update? I’m stuck using Photoshop/Bridge CS6 at work (IT department/budget restrictions) and after installing this upgrade, Camera Raw no longer works from Bridge. Am I missing something that I need to install/check/etc.?

3. Stan Strembicki says:

I am running CS6 with MAC OS 10.9.2 and ran the update and my camera raw/Adobe downloader is all screwed up. I use Adobe downloader and are now unable to convert to DNG and even when I only downloaded the Nikon NEF files the metadata is no longer writable. I am trying to download Nikon D800 NEF files. I am able to open NEF files in CS6 as well as downloaded jpeg files. Is there a way to “back up” to the previous Camera RAW?

4. Craig Schwartz says:

Same problem as John Roushkolb mentioned. I no longer can access my Nikon NEF files in Bridge. I’m not seeing images, only generic icons. I’m using CS6 on a Mac 10.9.2, Mac-Mini. 2.6 GHz Core i7/

5. Neil van Niekerk says:

Bridge (CS6) doesn’t see ACR. So if, like me, you use Bridge to do some editing of the RAW files, you can’t see prior edits.

Even going to Bridge and selecting Camera RAW Preferences, does nothing. No response.

Mac, OS 10.9.2

But really, this is an Adobe problem. It happened today with the update.

6. renambot says:

Hi,
    Any chance to get some FujiFilm X lenses profiled ?
    thanks,

Luc

7. Richard Johnson says:

I am also finding that Bridge CS6 is broken
    OS X 10.9.2 on a Late 2012 iMac

8. B. Jefferson Le Blanc says:

Why does Adobe name the file Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter on the file information pages, when the actual file only contains the DNGConverter? You’ve been doing this for some time now; it leads to no end of confusion, especially since you apparently no longer offer the latest versions of Camera Raw as a standalone installer. This mislabeling is reflected on MacUpdate as well, perpetuating the confusion.

9. Lothar Drechsel says:

Seit der Installation von ACR 8.4 funktionieren einige Details bei der Brigde nicht mehr. Entwicklungseinstellungen werden nicht mehr angezeigt.
    Stapelentwicklungen funktionieren nicht mehr.
    Drehen geht nicht mehr.
    tif Datein werden nur noch ganz klein angezeigt. Keine Datei-Metadaten. Nur noch bei psd Dateien.
    Adobe, das war ganz großer Schrott!!!

iMac
    OSX 10.8.5
    PS CS6 13.0.6
    Brigde 5.0.2.4

10. Craig Schwartz says:

I received a link to a replacement plugin from Adobe via Twitter. The new plugin works, here’s the link:
    OK, back to work!!!!

11. JRS says:

When will Lightroom have the animal eye correction?

Thx….John

12. haiying says:

13. Les Cornwell says:

In a reply above, I have given a link to a topic on Photoshop Family. I ran into the same problem: after installlation of ACR 8.4, no more “Open in Camera Raw” from Bridge CS6 (Mac OSX 10.9.2). A new plugin supplied by Michelle Qi from Adobe and manual installation, fixed the problem immediately. Apparently, something went wrong during the first installation of the new plugin.

14. Peter Lombardi says:

ARW support now broken in Bridge, no longer showing previews or giving the option to open in Camera RAW.

Opened in photoshop where it does in-fact open in Camera RAW.

15. Roy Hammans says:

I echo what B. Jefferson Le Blanc has said, this whole Camera Raw 8.4 update (for Mac OS X at least) has been rather badly handled hasn’t it?
    Finding a download link is nigh-on impossible, all you get is the DNG Converter 8.4, no Camera Raw. The only place it seems to appear is via the link: http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/acr-84-bridge-cs6-metadata.html, which is a manual install and not something you would naturally go looking for. Not a problem, but why make it so difficult?
    I guess it’s all part of Adobe now wanting us to pay a monthly subscription for software we’ve already paid ~£1000 for.

16. PJT says:

Thanks all for resolving this. Good that the link was made available so quickly. Bad I had to go out on the internet and find out why my ACR didn’t work after updating and what I needed to do to ‘fix’ it.

17. Kellon says:

How do i get Camera Raw 8.4 for windows? After updating my lightroom nothing workin

18. Be1con says:

Any chance for Lumia 1520 (RAW format)?

19. Ed Conner says:

Won’t recognize my Nikon D7100 Raw files. Recognizes all my other raw files
    Never has.
    Mac 10.9.2 PS CC.

20. Paul says:

After this upgrade on Mac my files on the extended drive IOMEA storcenter) are mentioned as Not supported or broken ???
    This happens when opening up Lightroom, LR does see the files in Library but as soon as I go into Development I get this message ? I never had this before, what to do ?

If I take the same file and copy on local hard drive and open it in photoshop it’s does work. If I do this again from the extended drive it’s doesn’t work anymore, so the files itself are okay?

Thanks,

Paul

21. Robert says:

Anyone else experiencing the .JPG thumbnails that were converted from .DNG files looking way too bright in Bridge? They look correct in Finder but about 10 stops too bright in Bridge. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks.

22. Андрей says:

Добрый день!Не открываются файлы в bride CS6 с камеры canon7d(разрешение 5184 x 3456)и Canon 5dmark2(разрешение 5616 x 3744)снятые камерой в формате RAW.Снимки сделаные в формате sRAW этих камер открываются. Данное решение http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/acr-84-bridge-cs6-metadata.html
    не помогло.

23. Michael Milicia says:

As far as I can tell, the changes to the Preview checkbox mean that I have lost the ability to view the entire image and simply toggle between the before and after view. I found this basic capability to be a very useful feature and I see no way to do it using the new preview options provided. Am I missing something?

24. Scottie Nguyen says:

Ok,
    So I downloaded Camera Raw and DNG converter and install it. But when I goto CS6 plugin to verify, it still saids CS6 is stillusing 8.3 camera raw. Am I doing something wrong ?

Scottie

25. Mary says:

When will the patch be ready. Frustrated customers would like to know.

26. Roland says:

Got my Sony Alpha 6000 3 days ago, from Sony Thailand. I updated DNG converter to 8.4 version.
    ARW files won’t be recognized. Raw files from my RX100 are recognized.

27. John Neely says:

The inability to use a preview checkbox that only affects the changes made with the tool you are currently working with is a real bummer. This is a downgrade.

28. The download links given do not actually work, and claim “Site Area Temporarily Unavailable”, despite there being seemingly nothing temporary about that unavailability =(

29. Nancy D says:

Due to some unknown problem, I recently had to have the hard drive replaced in my Macbook Air. Now I’m running OS X 10.8.5. My question: When I reinstall Photoshop CS6, Bridge CS6 and Lightroom 5, will they all work? I can’t afford another screw up on this computer.

Thanks in advance for your patience…I’m sorry, I didn’t read this entire thread, so if my question has already been addressed, please forgive me.

30. Mike Alperin says:

Thank you. The instructions for the DNG converter are not very informative for this. I navigated to the folder, which appeared to be empty. I ran the folder, and the converted images appeared.

31. Wim says:

I prefer the old way to compare your edits using the preview check box in ACR. This way you could see the edits before and after of just the active tab. With the last tab active, you could preview all the edits of all tabs. Can this be restored and work side by side with the new way of comparing before and after?
    Another benefit is that you could focus on the area you edited and click back and forth between the original and the edited version. Subtle changes are sometimes hard to see in side by side mode.

32. Andie Reid says:

No DIRECT download link for Camera Raw?? C’mon Adobe please do keep up!

33. Jose says:

Hola, ¿para cuando la actualizacion a la Sony Alpha 77 II?.
    Gracias

34. alternatiwe says:

For those who are looking for the camera raw 8.4 update files:
    You can find it here: http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected
    Actually there is a link on the above site to a direct download for Camera Raw 8.5 Windows:
    and for Camera Raw 8.5 Macintosh:
    Cheers :)

35. Victoria says:

Hi I recently bought a Canon 6D, and I am having trouble opening my CR2 files in my Photoshop CS4, I don’t have the money to upgrade to the latest version of Photoshop either, I have downloaded the DNG converter but still cannot open the files, I am at Mac OSX 10.9 version right now any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Victoria

• Rikk Flohr says:

CR2 files from the Canon 6D when converted to DNG should be backwards compatible to CS2. You do physically need to convert the files in the DNG converter before attempting to open them.

36. Monte Evans says:

Is there a way to install ACR version 8.4, instead of my current 8.5 version in Photoshop CS6?
    Yes, I actually want to go BACKWARD one version.
    The newer version 8.5 does not work properly. If I click on synchronize “all” it will not include crop anymore. I have posted this in the forum and I get no response.