The Field Triage Opportunity for Lr Mobile

I’m keenly aware that photographers would like to leave their laptops behind and head out on the road with just their DSLR, Camera Connection Kit and an iPad.  It’s not just pros on a shoot in the middle of a remote location, it extends all the way to every photography enthusiast who has debated with their spouse on the necessity of bringing a bulky laptop on the family vacation. This is something the Lightroom team wants to tackle with Lightroom mobile and customers can realize the beginning of this in a JPEG-only workflow.  But there are a few hurdles we need to address before we can have a robust experience that’s able to include raw files:

• We know our customers often like to shoot in a raw format.  That’s a lot of data and the ingest experience on current iPads via a Camera Connection Kit is quite slow.
  • The way the Camera Roll works on iOS, an application like Lightroom mobile would need to duplicate the storage required by a photographer’s images then leave customers with an awkward deletion experience on the camera roll to save space.
  • The bandwidth required to pass the originals from the iPad through to our servers and back to your desktop would be substantial and slow.

We’ve utilized a Smart Preview solution on the desktop to expedite access to original files on mobile devices but that becomes more difficult going in the other direction due to processing requirements and the fact that customers would expect the original to eventually arrive on their desktop.(And that transfer to the desktop should occur without a kludgey, manual copy and link-to-original workflow from the CF or SD card)  We’ll need to address all three of these areas before we can have a suitable field triage workflow.  We can tackle the bandwidth requirement with intelligent, downstream use of P2P connections but the first two issues will still remain a challenge.

The team would love to hear your thoughts and expectations in this area.

Regards,
Tom Hogarty

76 Responses to The Field Triage Opportunity for Lr Mobile

1. PLEASE can we shoot tethered with Lightroom Mobile?

• … because that’s so much different to uploading from an SD card. Almost everything he just said applies to tethered shooting as well.
      I’m really impressed at how much functionality they have built into the first version. It’s a really great achievement and the syncing just works. Congrats to the team, Tom.

2. David Valencic says:

The restrictions that Apple places on how images can be ingested really don’t align with how Lightroom Mobile needs to work. As badly as I would love to have Lightroom capabilities on my iPad, it’s completely unrealistic with Apple’s current ingest restrictions.

So, long story short, if Apple will continue to be restrictive in handling raw files via the camera connection kit, I would rather NOT have LR mobile. A crippled, or awkward workflow isn’t what LR is about. It’s about making everything seamless and easy.

I would hope that enough people would want this that maybe with Adobe’s clout, Apple will ease up their restrictions and allow direct access to the camera connection kit.

• Chaz Benedict says:

I totally agree.

• Vic says:

If I can second guess Apple, there reply would be…..”why no use the full LR software on a MacBook Air 11 inch as it’s no bigger than an iPad” Just a thought!

• jramskov says:

Completely agree, the biggest issue is the limitations in IOS and that’s likely not going to change. Having to start out with a laptop and then sync with your iPad from there makes it mostly pointless.

• I agree with all of the above. I tried to do a fully CCK>iPad>storage/computer workflow a year ago and found that once I had 1000 images on my iPad, deleting them was really a problem (which has be exacerbated in iOS7). So I bit the bullet and bought a MacBookPro to take on long trips. Maybe the iPad is only supposed to be a “gateway drug” to more capable Macs. On top of the above the need to go through the Camera Roll with its conversion to jpeg and renumbering makes it totally a non starter.

• Dan Stojowski says:

Terry,

You seem to know what’s up with these things. I’m new to the iPad product, I just bought the mini. I bought it because I aspire to start my own photo business which is something I enjoy. I don’t need to do too much with RAW editing, the pictures I take I tend to capture naturally, and want them to be all I need.

That being said, when I use something like Photogene or iPhoto which converts the RAW images uploaded to my iPad into JPEGs, am I losing a lot of quality? The pictures still seem detailed, though the changes I am making are applying to the JPEG.

If so, is there any other solution you can think of that I can use? I don’t own a Laptop/Macbook anymore, though I do have a Chromebook.

Or will my iPad be good enough, assuming I take high quality pics with my DSLR.

Thanks!

Dan

3. Andrew Yang says:

Without consideration of what’s technically possible. It would be great to:
    Take pictures in RAW
    Review, select, and perform basic edits in LR Mobile
    Share some directly out of LR Mobile
    Move to LR with all previous work sync’d

You’ve also done a great job enumerating the problem in getting from where LR Mobile is now, to where people (myself included) ultimately want to be. Bandwidth to/from camera/iPad/cloud, processing power, storage capacity, and file handling in iOS are shortcomings that will all take some time to overcome, with some of those being distinctly out of Adobe’s control.

LR Mobile is a great product, and I definitely appreciate it more for what it can do than criticize it for what it can’t… yet.

• Brad Balfour says:

This is exactly what I want to do when I go on vacation for the weekend with my iPad and DSLR.
      The ingest on the iPad of a days worth of shots for CR2 raw files is fine. It might take 30 – 60 minutes, but that’s no big deal.
      Getting Apple to let you have direct access to the camera roll to avoid duplicating storage is a *must*. Or else you need to move 100% of the newly ingested files into LR mobile right away while automatically deleting them from the camera roll for me. Copy 1, delete 1. in order to not require 2x storage. After all I expect Adobe to have some clout with Apple.
      If computation for smart previews is an issue, then either a) extract jpg previews from the raw files and use them or b) have me move to a Raw+JPG workflow on my DSLR and manage the double files for me automatically.
      I care 10x as much about picking selects on the car/train/plane ride home so that I only have to process a few great files when I’m back at my iMac. Develop module work is nice, but only to the extent that I use it to see if a borderline photo has hidden potential.
      As for the transfer of large raw files to/from the cloud, don’t do that. Just wait until I get home and do a direct wireless sync to LR Desktop. Then create smart previews and put them in the CC cloud and back to the iPad.

4. Rob Gendreau says:

+1 on tethering.

I recently got a wifi enabled camera and it changes everything. Cameras at the high end and low end now seem to share that capability; soon all will. And most manufacturers have apps out that allow not only EyeFi like file transfer, but also remote control, i.e. wifi tethering. I’d like to see a better implementation of that, if that’s possible.

And I think that ties in with what I feel is the biggest shortcoming of LR Mobile, which is the lack of tools for writing metadata of all sorts. LR is a digital management tool, but LR Mobile is a light editor with LR syncing. We still need something that can caption, keyword, rate, and organize photos. And I’d like to be able to do that contemporaneously with shooting photographs, as when tethered.

The day will come when applications like LR are embedded in cameras, which are already computers with internal SSDs, and even routers with external monitors and VNC. Why couldn’t that be a LR catalog on your SD card? It would present all kinds of interesting possibilities.

5. Marc Gibeault says:

The most logical is to download to iPad only a JPEG (as far as I know all cameras are able to shoot RAW+JPG) where we would delete, triage, keyword etc.
    Back at home we would import the RAW files in LR and then synchronize with LR mobile.
    Just like Photosmith!

• Berno says:

Exact…. That was the same thing I had in mind… Couldn’t be So hard I think?

• Josh says:

I also agree to this suggestion! It seems like the only way that makes sense given the size of RAW files. I really would love the ability to at least sort and view my photos in the field without my laptop.

6. Rush says:

Second that!

7. Thanks for being so honest and open about this topic. I’m one of these photographers that just would love to develop their RAW images on the iPad. Although the first incarnation of Lightroom on the iPad can’t fullfill this dream I’m looking forward to whatever the Lightroom team will come with future versions.

8. Joerg says:

Hi,
    what about WiFi enabled HDD that can be connected to an tablet or phone like the iPad/iPhone?
    With the Hyperspace UDMA 2 you can easily copy your CF/SD card to the internal HDD and access these photos from your iOS device via a WiFi connection.
    Downloading just an JPG (when shooting RAW+JPG or creating an DNG on the fly while importing) would safe precious space on the tablet/phone or why not referencing to the original on the WiFi HDD?
    Back home you would copy the original images from the external HDD to the final destination and sync your work from LR mobile with the originals imported in LR desktop…
    Cheers
    Joerg

9. Davide Voltolini says:

Maybe if we shoot in raw+jpg and use an eye-fi card, then Lightroom can import the small jpg files directly on the iPad, and sync all the adjustments back to the computer. Photosmith works this way, and it’s pretty efficient. Of course the raw file has to be imported on the desktop computer by the user, but one can begin working on the pictures immediately, while still in the field.

10. Malcolm Thornton says:

Tom, there have been many times where I wish I could be out in the field or on the road with just my iPad. Like many I shoot exclusively in RAW format to enable me as much information as possible. If Adobe Lightroom could be extended to work in the mobile field, I think that would provide tremendous value. Here is what I think would provide value to me. Through a camera connection kit, be able to upload a workable Jpeg onto the iPad with the creation of a smart preview. Then with Lightroom Mobile I would like to be able to Pick, Reject, Rate, and Keyword the images. The Keywords and Ratings would need to be kept in sync with the Lightroom Catalog. Image organization, and classification within Lightroom is a significant tool, and if you could get that done, prior to getting back into the studio, that would be a huge benefit. In addition, I could do some basic editing (which you can do now). Then once you get back into your office/studio, take the camera card and import the images to the desired location (as we usually do), and then provide a sync with the Lightroom mobile smart previews and meta data changes to bring your catalog up to date with the changes made in the LR Mobile app. I can’t really see myself doing any major editing on the iPad, but the organization and metadata work would be ideal.

• Ken Sandberg says:

I 2nd this! Just yesterday I was shooting in studio and using an ultrabook with lightroom tethered to chimp images during the shoot. I only need to see the med res jpegs and want to leave the RAW files in the camera. Even with a brand new high end haswell ultrabook, processing a 36mpixel RAW image is way too slow! and then having to apply a develop preset after that, way too slow. I’d like it on an ipad but i’m willing to use an ultrabook if you can only send the jpegs it would be great! Then having the ability to rate images and do minor correction and sync to the desktop ultimately would be great.

11. Branislav Milic says:

This is where creativity comes in!

1. On the field, you take 3 Gb of photos.
    2. You copy all the photos in your Lightroom Library on your laptop which of course works as a mirror.
    3. You enable my new “Remote Low Resolution” feature on the photos that you have just copied.
    4. Lightroom uploads very low res (max 500 px) of all the new flagged/selected photos including the XMP so all your edit are also uploaded along.
    5. All the people who have access to the library can see all your edited photos coming from the field and they can already forward them to online medias if necessary. They can also view them on their iPad using Lightroom Mobile.
    6. Once you come back at the office, you resync in high res and that’s it, the HR versions are loaded on your main server AND
    THIS IS what Lightroom Mobile should be… not a portable sRGB viewer on a tablet!

Thank you.

12. PeterM says:

you morons should begin to notice that there are more android user then ipad user….

• Vic says:

From one moron to another, according to the Lightroom Queen, Victoria, there is an android version on the way!!!

• TedJ says:

Name calling aside, as I read through this, I wonder why not focus on Android tabs. Apple has a history of locking up their APIs. As LR is a competitor to Aperture, what is their motivation to allow Adobe deeper access to the guts of iOS? I hope the Android version gets here soon. I am so tired of the limitations of my iPad. When I upgrade, it will NOT be to another Apple device. Switched from an Android phone to an iPhone for 5 for 6 months- until I could pawn it off on the CFO. Then went and purchased an Android phone. Still have accessory envy, but for getting work done, love the Android.

Adobe could put pressure on Apple to open up by showing what can be done on a more open platform. Once Apple sees photographers migrating to Android tablets because they can do more, perhaps they will open up.

Really excited about LR mobile. Already installed and loving the capabilities. Someday, tabs will be powerful enough and bandwidth available enough to ditch the local storage capabilities of a laptop. I look forward to that day when my tablet connects to a dock to light up my twin 24″ monitors, keyboard and mouse for my “desktop” experience, then snaps out of the dock for the “tablet” experience. Until that day, LR mobile is very cool! Kudos to the team for a very polished product that works well on an iPad 2.

13. Espiox says:

As someone who travels quite a bit, I was really hoping Lightroom mobile would be a good way to organize and start making basic edits before I get home. I hope you’re able to deal with these issues in the near future, as right now Lightroom mobile is basically useless to me.

14. Mike Reilly says:

Adding the ability to sync catalogs between two computers would be huge. I could shoot tethered on location and see my work appear on my workstation back in the studio, or mark a catalog to sync at the studio and edit on the road. A more robust computer-to-computer option, especially one that allowed for syncing the source files (and not just smart previews) would be life changing for me.

Likewise…oh god, but does sync slow down my computer. Please do so,etching about this.

• Faisal says:

+1 I’ve had almost every photographer friend (including myself) mention that working with 2 or more team members on a single lightroom catalog with a network or sync’d setup would be VERY helpful. Mobile could work with a cloud based Smart Preview which would then sync in the cloud back to the team members at HQ (or home).

High Res versions can be uploaded when back on a local network connection or sent via a package file.

Either way – Is there ANY roadmapped features that will handle Lightroom on a network or in the cloud with 2+ people?

15. Jeremy Verinsky says:

Tom- if there was a way to ingest RAW (or even JPG) files to your iPad, make your selects, keyword, collections, develop module adjustments, etc. and then have Adobe sync just the XMP file back to big LR, that would work for me. After the XMP files are synched back, I could then delete the files off my iPad (freeing up storage). Sure I would have to import my photos twice (the second time when I got back to the home machine) but then I wouldn’t need to worry about pushing large RAW files back and forth over wifi or cellular data. The LR Mobile edits would be applied to a local small JPG file on the iPad, so they wouldn’t take up much room and I can pick up where I left off when I get back home.

16. Dave Skinner says:

Jeff Carlson has done great work on possible workflows shooting in the field, uploading to an iPad and later syncing to the desktop PC back home. He even includes backing up. However, each flow requires several apps, a situation I had hoped LR Mobile would do away with. As a travel & landscape photographer here’s what I want to do:
    1. Upload from SD card to iPad
    2. Review quickly – choose the keepers, delete the duffers.
    3. Backup the RAW files – just in case!
    4. Do basic editing on the keepers, perhaps share some with friends via Flickr, G+ or Facebook
    5. Upload the full RAW files to the desktop once back home
    6. Transfer the develop settings (or sync the photos) to the desktop from the iPad
    7. Do final editing, publish, print, win POTY (yey!)
    As you say it would be easier to shoot in RAW only but its not a big deal for me to shoot in RAW + JPEG as long as I can backup the RAW files. I use the Seagate Wireless Plus for back up on the road. It has a capacity of 1TB. Also good for storing your favourite music to listen to while editing in a hotel room.

17. Ralph Daily says:

I would like to import my RAW photos into my iPad while on the road but it’s very difficult now and probably in the future for the reasons you state. It’s just easier to continue taking a small laptop in the field, it’s simpler than putting an iPad in the workflow. I tried out LR mobile on my iPad last night and it’s primarily useful for displaying what I’ve processed on my desktop. But that’s ok, it’s a well done app.

18. Mike Brodey says:

I have been a user of Photosmith for some time. There developers have a real feel for how pro photographers work and have dealt with Apple for years. LR Mobile could learn a great deal from them, particularly about workflow. They have put editing at the rear of desired features because they understand that a tablet has limited computing power. My workflow using their app has been: download from camera to ipad, import to Photosmith, rate, flag, key word. Any individual images that I want to edit, I do in another app and import the result, then put all into a collection to sync via wifi with LR. I then delete all from my IPad. This workflow allows me to do some of the tedious metadata work in the field.

19. Niels says:

I was hoping for an iPad version of Lightroom since I bought the first tablet. But the current offer doesn’t fill an existing gap. I see two scenarios:
    1) I want to travel light and quickly edit a shooting without taking more than my ipad. If I understood well, I can’t do it now because I’ll have to upload the images from the computer. The iPad becomes only useful for an image selection process that will happen after they had been uploaded from the computer. If so, please give us some real image selection tools like a light table feature like in aperture (this function would also be useful in the Computer version. It helps building narrations and setting the image order).
    2) we use the iPad at home, where there’s already a computer, in which case the iPad will only be worse (no calibrated color profile, lower performances). In this case, why not giving us some real retouching tools, transforming the tablet into a toolkit for Lightroom computer: see the picture you’re editing and paint on a tactile surface your different adjustments. It’s often easier and. Ore precise than using mouse.

So, for me, the current offer doesn’t satisfy any of my two needs. I don’t see many opportunities where I need to edit (with basic settings) images that I already charged on the computer. I’d prefer transforming the iPad into a fully different toll, helping either the image selection of the local adjustments on the computer.

20. James Santer says:

At the moment there does not seem to be a viable solution working with an iPad so Adobe seem to have come up with the best work around for the moment.
    It would be better is the iPad is used as a monitor and you downloaded your RAW/ Jpeg files direct to a HD (or two) while on the move, much as you would with a laptop. Sadly, this level of functionality will not be coming to the iPad anytime soon!
    Having spent the last few days syncing a few collections (which I’ve found very slow) I have been disappointed by the amount functionality the toolset has.
    I find the main advantage for Lr Mobile is to use it as a sorting tool (with a few quick edits). Sadly at the moment you can only flag, unflag a photo. I would prefer to see a method of star-rate or color-code an image as this would make the program a lot more useful for me and I’m sure many other. You could quick flick through a set of images while you’re stuck in traffic, on the train or waiting for meeting. They’d then be beautifully synced when you get back home and you can start editing on a large screen the images in ranked order.
    Good start and appreciate it’s early days with great aspiration.

21. Matt O'Brien says:

1. Concentrate on a better featured Library module.
    1.1 Rating
    1.2 Keywords
    1.3 Descriptive metadata such as Title, Caption, Location, User Comments.

The Ipad is a good tool for this workflow aspect.

2. In the immediate term concentrate on improved workflow between Laptop in the field and Workstation in the office, where hardware constraints are not an issue.

3. Extend raw / jpg features as iPad hardware improves with time.
    4. In the meantime, Eliminate the major gaps in LR, such as free form text and image frames (and real templates) in the Book module and proper placement of metadata in output modules starting with the Print Module so we can avoid return trips to Photoshop / InDesign to place our metadata on the printed artwork.

• James Santer says:

I second all that Matt states.
      Keywording, location and general metadata are crucial and easy to achieve with the iPad. Far more important than a slight exposure/ grade tweak.

• Dave Skinner says:

I agree with this too. There seems to be consensus building up here: the priority is metadata for organising. Editing needs only be basic and certainly should be kept secondary. Before editing I would put RAW backup function.

22. TJ says:

A raw import and triage workflow in the field is what users expect.

You should be able to get around the camera connection kit limitations by using ios peer-to-peer file transfer instead with eye-fi like cards or wifi-enabled cameras. Wifi transfer may not be all that common yet, but a good workflow in lightroom (mobile & desktop) could really drive adoption of the technology and someday plugging your camera/card into a tablet/computer will seem as antiquated as plugging your tablet or phone to your computer is starting to now. Users would definitely buy a wifi card for this if it worked well, and there’s no reason it shouldn’t.

Direct wifi sync to desktop on the other end could similarly work around the bandwidth limitation with cloud sync.

23. Chuck says:

I see no need to use develop module in LR mobile. I would like to use ipad to assign metadata and keyword and flag photos for keep or delete. Then once back in office or home import RAW images to computer, then sync the metadata and keywording done on ipad. Thats the needed process in my opinion…..

• TedJ says:

Agree with Chuck except I like the current develop capabilities to see if a borderline photo can be rescued (I shoot way to few keepers and need to rescue many).

24. Thomas M says:

i would like to have a possibility to import at least a kind of preview of the recent shot photos directly ba wifi connection to LR Mobile.
    That could be via wifi enabled cameras like the Canon EOS 70D, Canon S110, S120, Sony NEX 5T etc. or special gadgets like the “MobileLite Wireless”. that wifi connect sd card to a “on the fly” personal wifi network.

For example the app “shutterSnitch” does something similar http://www.shuttersnitch.com/ quite well.

After import on the road you can see your photos and do first adjustments and share photos already in Lightroom mobile.

Back at home, you import the photos from the card againto your main Lightroom catalog. The already made adjustments in Lightroom Mobile are synchronized with this main LR catalog.

25. I just have been working on a batch of photographs on ipad and saved all the worked on images on my camera roll in ipad. When I opened my camera roll none of the changes had been saved, the photographs were the ones I had synced from desktop to ipad.
    The changes have been saved on my desktop though.
    Is it not possible to save the file with applied changes to camera roll for sharing with Instagram and Foap? If we can’t save changes to camera roll I might as well stay with VSCO cam in ipad then…
    A work around is of course that I can pluck them back off probably from the Adobe cloud, but that is another step added to my workflow. (How do I pluck them off the icloud or is that automatic?)
    I was hoping to use LRmob because the syncing is wonderful, and I start with LR for all my photographs.
    My current workflow is to import pics in LR, then drag the ones I want for Foap and Instagram via iPhoto and shared stream to get them onto ipad or iphone. Import in vsco and from there send to instagram or Foap. I know, rather heavy workload.
    I had hoped that LRmobile would have cut this load in half…
    I wonder if it is possible to make the changes applied in LRmob savable in camera roll… Since LRmob has been designed for idevices, it does need a saving option on the device. Otherwise it’s missing a major feature.

I must admit that the filters and processing are fab… My pics do look so smashing on ipad air.
    I am very happy with LRmob apart from the question title…

26. john says:

i was looking forward to using the iPad as my device i import from the camera to lightroom. then use lightroom to cull the out of focus, poor composition, flag the good one, reject the bad ones, and then sync with the laptop running lightroom.

what i’m finding, is that i will still have to import into my laptop, send the previous import to the iPad via mobile sync, do the flagging/rejecting on the iPad, and let it sync those changes back to the laptop lightroom. i find the iPad good for that phase of the workflow.

but ideally, it would be to go from camera to lightroom on iPad, sync with lightroom on laptop.

and yes, it is a good device to show recent shots, etc while out and about.

what would be REALLY useful, is to be able to mark smart folders for mobile sync

jd

27. Peter says:

A slow ingest experience is still infinitely faster than no ingest experience. A clumsy workflow is infinitely better than no workflow at all. Photosmith proves that photographers are willing to embrace workarounds. Besides, a high profile application like LR using workarounds might be the only way to get Apple to realize that there is a dire need to finally fix these limitations of the iOS platform. Right now this seems a bit like a chicken-and-egg problem. And having a more seamless workflow on other platforms like Android or Windows Mobile might have enough of an impact on their device sales in the pro/enthusiast photographer market to make a enough of difference for them to care.

Also, there is nothing wrong with using WiFi for local sync. Even with the current “desktop ingest, edit only” workflow, I don’t understand why I should have to wait for images to transfer to “the cloud” and back. It becomes particularly annoying in areas with bad or no internet. Don’t get me wrong, the cloud workflow is great for certain situations, but an option for local sync would be very much appreciated. It would at the same time solve the bandwidth issue and address privacy and security concerns of a cloud solution. You might not be aware of this, but for us EU users, using a cloud service actually means subjecting our and our clients’ data to US laws and regulations. Besides, since the cellular data usage would be quite heavy, LR mobile will mostly be used in conjunction with WiFi anyway, and I’d say in at least half of the cases, that would be the exact same WiFi the desktop computer the images are originating from is connected to as well.

Lastly, it would not be inconceivable that Adobe design and sell their own camera connection kit/card reader hardware as a solution to circumvent the whole camera roll mess. LR mobile would then be able to freely control this hardware (and presumably even offer an SDK to make support possible from other apps). There are companies selling dedicated iOS flash drives with accompanying software for file management, therefore I don’t think such a product would be against Apple’s policies. And a card reader is sufficiently cheap to build and FAT is sufficiently simple to make this a simple and cost-effective solution at a price that might even be cheaper to the consumer than one of Apple’s own USB camera connection kit or USB adapter.

That being said, import from card is not necessarily the only way raw files could end up on a mobile device. More and more cameras (like the newer Fujifilm X series models) come with built-in WiFi that allows wireless transfer of images to a mobile device via a dedicated app. Same for EyeFi cards and similar products.

28. Martin Sammtleben says:

The app shows great promise.
    I would hope for local cable- or wifi sync though. We are travel photographers and spent weeks with no or very poor internet connectivity and hence a detour through the cloud is not practical for us.

29. Mike Wrob says:

Ok, the reasons you can not load photos on the iPad then to Lightroom make more sense now.

However, I would still like to have the ability to add/edit keywords and star ratings. That seems like it should be relatively easy to do.

30. Andrew Brown says:

When i heard about LR coming to the iPad – i thought wonderful. My little Fuji X-Pro 1 and an iPad would be much easier to drag around than the old Canon 5D2 kit and laptop with external HD’s for back up.
    The ability to import pics, and review in greater detail would allow me to delete those that hadn’t worked whilst away – meaning less pics to bring back for a final edit. Less to back up as well.
    I envisaged being able to make use of an iPad with larger capacity to store and review images whilst away – and at the same time key wording and tagging the images to save a whole load of work on getting home.
    The issue of data bus throttle by Apple is a rubbish excuse – otherwise why would Apple now produce iPads with 128gb capacity? Using your answer would imply that they don’t encourage people to use all that capacity – just pay the extra bucks.
    But then you put the final nail in the coffin – you made this product available through CC only! Why? We don’t all need loads of cloud storage – nor access to Photoshop.
    It is a nicely functioning app once you get the hang of it – but is of no use to me as part of CC or the ability to import RAW files or work with images downloaded to a WiFi EHD.

This app seems to have been designed to please everyone but has pleased almost no one – sorry Adobe – no tick for me on this one – and I only use LR 5 on my desktop for processing ALL of my images.

31. Mike Milich says:

Thanks for the concise explanation. The program does most of what it can do within the constraints of either an iPad or an Android. So little understanding as to where the processing power is.
    One thing I do have a question about that I haven’t picked up in the tutorials or comments, can I create a virtual copy on the iPad and have that synch to my Mac (or have the LRm image synch as a virtual copy into my catalogue? I may want to do multiple versions, and I’m not seeing it yet, Trivial.
    Thanks for all the great work.

32. Roy Smyth says:

Just the use of the word Triage says a lot about this. Processing images in the field isn’t an emergency, it is a way of life for many. I travel, shoot raw+jpeg and use an iPad mini to write and publish a photo blog while I travel. By necessity I’m a minimalist as hiking and cycling are part of my travels. Often I’m away for months at a time; my images don’t get into Lr until I’m home again. But the process works and the technology is adequate.

On the road I have no problem keeping raw and jpeg files on the iPad. Both the camera connection kit and wireless transfer are fairly painless. Now that the iPad is available with 128GB of storage, there is no problem with file space. My workflow does not require me to duplicate images, other than creating cropped and adjusted jpegs for the blog which can be deleted after uploading, but I’ve never been short on storage so I don’t delete them.

What I was hoping for in Lr Mobile was a way to rate, keyword, caption, crop and adjust my images in the field and move that info plus the image files into Lr on the computer when home again. I’m happy to work with jpeg files in the field, but I’d like to have the edits and metadata apply to the raw files when I sync my field work with my computer.

I don’t understand the purpose of Lr mobile as it stands. A way to review images while watching TV? A way to create slideshows on a tablet? A desperate way for Adobe to show its shareholders that it is “with it” when it comes to doing something, anything, with a tablet and the cloud?

Sorry for the cynicism, but I find Lr mobile disappointing. It troubles me that the team would release such an underwhelming product. The user interface is good, but I’d like to make it do some real work.

33. Valentin Cuellar says:

Are there any plans to bring this to android? I know the difficulty with having such diverse hardware but even if it was tested on the Nexus line of products and other popular models. Either way thanks for all the amazing work.

34. Dave says:

Tom- Apple does already have ‘private’ API’s that allow for much of what your looking for in iOS for iDevices. But they only allow iPhoto (the latest update) to use them. Check it out, if you haven’t already.

Dave B

35. Andrew Farmer says:

As I have Cloud subscription I decided to try the Lightroom Mobile on my iPad.
    However I am currently unsure exactly what its purpose is.
    As has been noted here it cannot handle RAW files directly from a camera via the Camera Connection Kit.
    Therefore this makes it of limited use ‘in the field’ to check photos etc.
    As Lightroom seems to be aimed at at least enthusiast sector and above the likelihood is the end user WILL be using RAW, therefore meaning the app is of limited use.
    Yes, you can shoot RAW + jpeg but this is a waste of storage if you have limited cards available.

So, as it stands what sort of scenarios is Lightroom Mobile designed for?
    Yes I can sync FROM desktop to Cloud and then to iPad but I can think of very few instances where this would be useful.

This is obviously a fairly critical post but I would like to hear some positive opinions and feedback as I am hopefully just misunderstanding how and when to use the app!

Andrew

36. Jason C says:

I’m surprised there’s been so few mentions of the Photosmith app. I just read all of the comments and it was only mentioned 3 times. Most of the features that people are requesting in LR Mobile are things that I’ve been doing for over a year in Photosmith. Here’s my workflow:
    1. Shoot raw’s to my CF card and small jpg’s to my Eye-Fi (I have a 5D3 with 2 card slots)
    2. The small jpg’s wirelessly sync to my iPad and are automatically imported into Photosmith
    3. In Photosmith I cull my images (star ratings, pick/reject flags, color labels). I do this on the spot in the field, or many times I’ll do it while stopping to eat on my drive from the shoot back home.
    4. When I get home I import the raw’s from the CF card into Lightroom using my typical import process and presets.
    5. Once the raw’s are in LR on my desktop I do a “metadata only” sync, wirelessly, from Photosmith on the iPad to LR on my desktop. The process matches up the star ratings that I did on the iPad to the master raw’s that have been imported into LR.
    The workflow that Photosmith supports is a thing of beauty and countless other photographers have purchased Photosmith based on seeing how it enables me to work. I looked at LR Mobile and was sorely disappointed; I doubt I’ll even bother launching it again until there have been significant updates. In my mind the bare minimum workflow that LR Mobile needs to support is Camera -> wireless tether -> LR Mobile -> apply metadata -> sync metadata to LR desktop. The ideal situation would be to sync my metadata edits to the CC Cloud then once I get home and import that master raw’s to LR on the desktop, the metadata edits on CC would sync and match up with the raw’s I just imported.
    Jason

37. Armando Martinez says:

I think with the increased storage now available on the iPad we can transfer the RAW files directly to the tablet and move it through the Cloud to our desktops. There’s an opportunity to help reduce the data transfer by improving the DNG converter to create smaller file sizes. You can still work with Smart Previews on the iPad but it can also store and modify the DNG files too.
    It would make it easier too if you could create a dedicated hardware connection kit that would do the DNG conversion before transferring the file to the iPad.

38. Tunney oriartyM says:

You have to develop an internal “zip” program that cab reduce the size of the raw file to the size that you are utilizing now. It has to be developed so that it cain be used going back to LghtRoom, so nothing is lost.

Tunney

39. Ken says:

I need to be able to evaluate focus and histogram information for the current photo only. The only functionality I need on my iPad for travel are 1. histogram, and 2. RGB values. If Adobe could create a program that would load the currently shot raw file from the camera and allow evaluation of exposure at different points on the image it would be great! I have a couple apps now on my ipad that can read and view raw files (PyRAWna for example), but they cannot show histograms or give me rgb values for some reason.

I don’t need another application to do adjustments on my iPad – I can do that at home in my lab. I just need a few on-site features so that I can make sure I got the light values of the shot correct and that the focus was correct. It would be nice to have on my iPad some kind of automatic focus elevator that – if I select a region in the photo, would give me a score between 1 and 10 on the sharpness of the raw image.

40. Ken says:

Aside: What I do not need or want:
    1. I do not need to store my images on the iPad.
    2. I don’t want you to duplicate all of LR functionality on my iPad.
    3. I don’t need you to compress the RAW file on my ipad
    4. I don’t want you to convert to DNG on my iPad
    5. I don’t need to move photos to the cloud from my iPad
    6. I do not want Adobe to force me to integrate the iPad app with my desktop/laptop LR
    7. I have no reason to want to move photos from my desktop LR to the iPad for any reason
    8. I DO NOT WANT ADOBE TO FORCE ME TO INTEGRATE MY iPAD LR WITH MY DESKTOP LR; if that happens, I will probably not use iPAD LR that much.

41. Hello
    For me its the almost perfect app. I do dance photography as a secondary job and was struggling to have time to edit all the photos. Before this app in only edit photos at home at night time.
    I had several hours free during the day but no access to the photos. With this app i can continue the editing in that free hours. So THANK YOU Adobe!
    The only missing detail is to synchronize and use my presets in lightroom Mobile.

42. Dan Stojowski says:

Thank you for the explanation.

I do understand that it requires a lot more resources, data, and such to get LR Mobile to where Photographers want it to bed. Where to begin on my end:

1. It makes no sense to rely on a desktop for the sole reason of having to process photos. We do many things in the cloud, if not all of them. What could help with LR Mobile is give us the choice to pay let’s say 15–20 a month for CC which gets us space on a dedicated server for a period of xxxxx weeks to edit and take our photos off. We are paying for it, and we can manage it with your help. For example if the photos aren’t taken off then they are deleted.

2. I don’t need to store indefinately photos on my ipad. I just need to work with them there then move em on out

3. I have tons of space on Google Drive, and there are other apps which give you the ability to store photos, large ones for free. Incorporate that into it, why reinvent the wheel? If you make the great editing tool leave it at that, don’t make it do more than it NEEDS to do,.

4. I don’t want to buy a laptop but I guess that’s what i’ll end up doing. I really only need Photo Editing capabilities on my iPad, other than the cool factor, it does nothing else that I can’t do on my Chromebook.

Please give me the ability to do RAW editing and photo management on the tablet, and let me make the choice as to how to allocate the storage and such

43. minivini says:

One potential solution (if not roadblocked by iOS – and I don’t think it is) would be the ability to load directly into LR on the iPad. Most of us would be happy to convert to dng at this stage for storage sake. Our field edits could be done and any we wanted to convert and save to the iOS camera roll could be done in the appropriately sized jpg with no duplication (ie wasted space) necessary. Of course, all culls would be deleted.

How feasible is this?

44. Christina says:

I always shoot in raw and would like to work with the pics on my iPad (which I had to buy one once you came out with the lightroom app). I’m hoping on the iPad app that I’ll be able to keyword, which is more important at this time than actual editing. I find with the editing that I use the graduated filter and radial filter a lot that I’m still doing that on my mac desktop.

I don’t think this is the right forum but since I have your ear, the edits from the app go to the desktop instant (I can essentially seem changing as I sit in front of the desktop playing with the app). What does not work however, is cropping on the desktop going to the iPad app. I even went to the app and specially said to sync. I’d be happy to send files and steps (I love testing applications)

45. Jorn says:

What would help, is compatibility with X-RITE color true app. This app allows you to calibrate the screen of your iPad/Android tablet.

Obviously it’s not as good as the desktop calibration software, but it’s better then nothing. I’m only using Lr mobile to flag images, but I hardly do any editing on it due to a lack of screen calibration.

46. KS says:

Simple request for the LR mobile app. Give users a chance to pay a one time fee or monthly prepaid fee when we need access to the LR mobile app. I have dreamed of using it on my iPad when I travel – I do not take my laptop. I would pay for a months worth of access 2-4 times a year. But I do not need a 12-month subscription to edit on the iPad when traveling. Also do not need other services, too expensive for the non professional. Go back to basics, make it simple and more enthusiasts who already use and purchased lightroom will sign up.

47. Hans Rupert says:

For a 1.0 release, LR Mobile is a very promising app. Please consider the following requests, as I strongly feel that the real power of the app lies with its mobility, not its raw processing power, and that ORGANIZING work would be where Adobe should focus:

The ability to flag, rate, color, title, caption, keyword, and possibly take/make notes on photos when either reviewing a shoot, presenting to a client, or just catching up on possible portfolio & stock candidates would be a fabulous time saver away from the desktop app.

Adding the ability to create Collection Sets would be a huge organizational boon. As it is, the simple alphabetical sets means that I have to unsync many of my collections when I’m going to show a client their collections. (no client wants to see my work, or another client’s)

Adding the ability to sort synced Collections manually would also be a great boon. Often with presentations –like portfolios– a custom user order makes for a stronger presentation.

All in all, I for one am thrilled with this release – keep up the great work team!

48. Jeff Klofft says:

It would be nice to be able to shoot RAW + JPEG, load the JPEGs onto the iPad, make the selections and then have LR on the desktop apply those selections to the RAW version. Yes, I’d still need to do my edits, but at least I could do my selection process on the road. It should be easy to sync up the photos using the capture date time stamp. That way it would work even if the filenames change.

49. Thomas Berger says:

Well, as one of the overall bad reviews in iTunes is stating: “Nice try Adobe”
    There is urgent need of overhauling in terms of how the people at Adobe are thinking, working and in the end maybe succeeding.
    I could do a pretty comprehensive list of what we, the customers, users, clients, in the last, let alone 10, years had to make trough with Adobe products. And a lot still feels that you don’t have learned a bit out of it.
    I wish Adobe software development and focus on customer will become reliable the same way as their comprehensive software documentation is.
    Tired of giving feedback on software.

50. james clarke says:

I would love eyefi import of jpegs to Lightroom mobile, metadata, selection tools, light editing then match that up to the raws that ill import onto full lightroon on laptop in due course

51. Jan says:

Surface Pro 3. Just this. No complication with smart preview.

52. Artem Rodin says:

Thank you, Adobe, for Lightroom mobile.
    Idea is great, but unfortunately it’s not what I and probably others expected.
    I see two ways of using Lightroom mobile
    1. Mobile “viewer” of my Lightrooms catalogs (ALL!)
    I want to be able to show on iPad, previews of all my photos from desktop catalogs that I choose for sync. Not just some static collections
    2. In field I want to be able to download from DSLR again only previews of made photos, organize them (mark to delete some of them, set keywords, ratings, tags, flags, collections, etc), then at home load full RAW files into desktop version and get all “organization” that I’ve done on iPad.

I don’t think we need on iPad full edit capabilities, just preview and organize, plus able to present photos synced with desktop to the audience.

And of course it would be nice to have it standalone, but not as part of CC. Even 9.99 per month is too much for what I am currently paying 79 once in two or two and half years (I don’t need Photoshop). If you still want subscription, then 4.99 per month or something around 49.99 per year for Lightroom only will be fair price.

53. Terry Brownell says:

I think this explanation lacks.
    – iPad can ingest RAW files via the camera kit with aplomb. The slowness of that process is no skin off Adobe’s nose.
    - The amount of storage on the user’s device is the user’s problem, not Adobe’s.
    - Bandwidth is slow? Tell the user they can’t sync RAW and just use the file that the iPad has stored. Limit the sync capability to JPEG and let consumers decide.

As a dedicated LR user, I’d be perfectly happy to forgo sync’ing if it meant I could shoot in RAW, upload to iPad and edit in LRM. I just want to be able to use the LRM tools since they are better than anything else I can have on the iPad. The answer of “Just go ahead and shoot JPEG+RAW” is silly, talk about dumping the storage issue on the consumer. And since I prefer my eye to that of some anonymous RAW rendering engineer, I am never going to just shoot JPEG.
    Bottom line – I’m very disappointed. I was hoping for something to lighten my travel load and sadly this is not it. I expected more from Adobe.

54. Brian Wilson says:

I’ve deliberately avoided the iPad revolution. Its worth me pointing out I’m a long-time IT professional and my view is that LR Mobile is a solution to problem that Apple have created and one that will ultimately hold Apple back from complete device integration.

The answer for location shoots is light, powerful laptops running Windows or OsX. I have a MacBook Air running the full version of LR5.x. It weighs nothing and, for a working pro photographer, is the on-location solution, including tethered shooting. It’s 13″ screen is excellent and when I need to transfer the 1,000 RAW files I shoot for weddings, the wif-fi at home does what its supposed to do. I also run the utilities for Pocketwizard wireless controllers on the Mac so I can control my flash. Try doing that on an iPad.

Microsoft are now pushing new Surface Pro 3′s modelled on the Air design. That’s the way forward and as more lightweight laptops come out this issue will evaporate.

Apple now stands alone in having a consumer device OS (iOS) that is incompatible with its computer OS (OsX). Microsoft has always maintained a single platform approach and now, with even faster and smaller electronics, and Windows 8.x it’s feasible to run Windows on a phone/pad. The Android community is Linux compatible as both Apple’s OsX and Linux are forks from BSD Unix 4.x.

The design criteria for LR Mobile on phones/pads is flawed in my view. Adobe should invest resources in pushing the LR code base forward on the Windows, Linux and OsX platforms and abandon iOS. Apple won’t change course and have never been known to provide technology that would make their competitors lives easier, there’s no reason for them to do so now.

Abandon iOS now and seek the path of least resistance.

Brian Wilson

55. Lars says:

Hi,
    with iOS 8 introduced a completly new photos framework.
    So, if Adobe is willing to do, it can
    a) create photo ui extensions, with all features of lightroom image changes directly from the standard photo roll. no need to duplicate anything
    b) edit images also inside lightroom, fully able to change the image. when changes are done only by lightroom to an image, it gets also all the appspecific change data back from apple photokit framework, and apply losslessly different changes on the original object
    c) the new photos frameworks works well with raw files, even allows to get previews/thumbnails or cached images of all photos without an own programming, just with standard ios photo api calls.
    d) syncing works via icloud to windows or mac, and as this is a normal drive on windows e.g. you could directly work on that with photoshop or whatever. so syncing just works on ios 8.
    => in terms what a user and a programmer of an image app wants to have, it seems, that everything is already -possible- with apple api’s if adobe wants it
    the only thing i found which was missing, is that you cannot change all metadata like keywords/stars. currently the ios 8 api seems to be restricted in terms of metadata to favorites/locations/data/hidden attributes.
    … So Adobe, what are your plans here ?API is here: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/Photos/Reference/Photos_Framework/index.html

Bye