Camera Raw 8.5 and DNG Converter 8.5 now available

Camera Raw 8.5 is now available as a final release for Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC.  This release provides new features including new preview controls, the ability to modify graduated and radial filters, and a new visualization mask for graduated and radial filters.  In addition, this release also includes bug fixes, support for new cameras and new lenses.  DNG Converter 8.5 is provided for customers using versions of Photoshop older than Photoshop CS6.

As mentioned here, updates to Camera Raw 8 for Photoshop CS6 only include new camera support, lens profile support, and bug fixes.  The new features listed in the release notes are only available in Photoshop CC.

Release Notes

Features:

• Modify Graduated and Radial Filter masks with a brush:
    • After adding or selecting a Graduated or Radial Filter instance, click the new ‘Brush’ mode (next to existing ‘New’ and ‘Edit’ mode buttons) to reveal brush controls that allow you to modify the selected mask.
    • Use the ‘Brush +’ and ‘Brush -‘ icon buttons in the brush controls pane to add to or erase from the selected mask.
    • Press the ‘Clear’ button to remove all brush modifications from the currently selected mask.
    • When a Graduated or Radial Filter instance is selected, Shift-K can be used to enter and leave brush modification mode.
    • For more information, check out this video here
  • Mask visualization is now available for the Graduated and Radial Filters. Use the Mask checkbox at the bottom of the Local Corrections pane or press ‘Y’ to toggle the mask overlay.
  • Added Per-Panel Preview default toggle button
    • If the current panel’s settings are not the ACR defaults, clicking the new Per-panel Toggle Button will reset the panel to the ACR defaults.
    • Clicking the button again will restore the previous settings.
    • This is a standalone feature, separate from the new Preview controls.
    • The changes are applied to the main view; if you have both the Before and After panes visible, changes will appear in the After panel.

New Camera Support in Camera Raw 8.5

• Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II
  • Fujifilm FinePix S1
  • Nikon 1 J4
  • Nikon 1 S2
  • Nikon 1 V3
  • Olympus OM-D E-M10
  • Panasonic DMC-GH4
  • Pentax 645Z
  • Samsung NX3000
  • Sony DSC-RX100 III
  • Sony A7S (ILCE-7S)
  • Sony Alpha SLT-A77 II (ILCA-77M2)

New Lens Profile Support in Camera Raw 8.5

Pentax   Sigma 30mm F.14 DC HSM A013
Sigma   Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM A014
Sigma   Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM C014
Sony Alpha   Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM A013
Sony Alpha   Sony Alpha 28-75mm F2.8 SAM

Bugs Corrected in Camera Raw 8.5

• Fixed issue with Fujifilm X-T1 raw images appearing too bright at high ISO settings when using Dynamic Range 200% and 400%. Unfortunately, this fix may affect the appearance of existing images captured with this combination of settings. It is recommended that you (1) purge the Camera Raw cache via the Camera Raw Preferences dialog, and (2) review images shot at ISO settings higher than 1600 for unexpected brightness changes.
  • Fixed image quality issue (noisy result) when applying spot healing to floating-point (HDR) images.
  • Fixed issue with reading lossless compressed Nikon raw files (NEF files) from the camera models listed below. Previously, some images could be read but would appear as random noise, whereas attempting to open others would result in an error dialog. You will need to purge your Camera Raw cache via the Camera Raw Preferences dialog.
    • Nikon D1
    • Nikon D1H
    • Nikon D1X
    • Nikon D2H
    • Nikon D2Hs
    • Nikon D2X
    • Nikon D2Xs
    • Nikon D100
    • Nikon D200

Known Bug

• Customers using the Sony RX100 M3 and capturing images at ISO 125 may find the default rendering in ACR and Lightroom too dark. This is a known issue and we are working to improve this in a future update.

Download Links:

DNG Converter 8.5:

Mac – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5793

Windows – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5794

41 Responses to Camera Raw 8.5 and DNG Converter 8.5 now available

1. Steve Laskevitch says:

It’s very strange that the Brush mode for Graduated and Radial Filters didn’t make it into LR. It’s so strange to have them out of sync…for the first time ever?

2. Mike says:

Strange that the Brush mode for Graduated and Radial Filters didn’t make it into LR version 5.5 !
    how could that be seeing that Lightroom is bing 100% used over Camera raw in Bridge !

• Rikk Flohr says:

Thanks for your feedback. As a matter of policy, we cannot add features to Lightroom dot releases. We will look to add features to the next major release of Lightroom.

• Steve Laskevitch says:

That was supposed to be obviated by cloud membership, through which most of us enjoy Lightroom 5.5. All the other products release new features with dot releases, why should LR be any different? I think we need to call B.S. here.
        Just look at all the features released in Illustrator 17.1:
        That’s Seventeen DOT one.
        Or for a closer relative, Photoshop 14 DOT 2:

• Rikk that is totally “wrong” in so many ways – not that what you are saying is incorrect but the entire concept of the Creative Cloud I thought was to be able to get features out to users in a timely manner. Worse still, the brush in the filters feature is one that is particularly relevant to photographers ergo Lightroom is the place it should be. Now, as a trainer, I’ll have to consider suggesting my readers/viewers go back to editing photos in Photoshop when making filter adjustments because that’s where the smarter/most useful tools are… and that’s a nonsense. You designed Lightroom for photographers, you presumably want them to buy Lightroom, and then you put features of particular relevance to them in Photoshop and tell them to wait before they will appear in Lightroom, I’m confused!

• Have to agree with other replies. Just nonsense

3. Nigel says:

Where is the Camera Raw 8.5 final release download link please

4. Lee says:

Subject Panasonic ZS40

I don’t see any change in photo in LR 5.5 when I select lens profile & correct color aberration .

Is the lens so good that it requires no correction?

• Rikk Flohr says:

According to this: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroom-4.html there haven’t been any lens profiles released from Adobe for the Panasonic ZS40. I also checked the Lens Profile Downloader and see there are no user profiles available either. When you check the Enable Profile Corrections in the Profile tab of the Lens Corrections Panel, what profile does it tell you is being used?

To check Chromatic Aberration removal, you need to zoom in on the edges of the image where bright and dark areas are next to each other. The CA Removal should eliminate any color fringing you might be seeing.

5. Christoph says:

Adobe: “The new features listed in the release notes are only available in Photoshop CC.” !!!!

I made a sizeable, upfront investment with the purchase of Adobe CS6 on Amazon. CC users pay monthly.
    I understand now that updates to my CS6 are incomplete or selective. I’m very upset with Adobe that they filtered out features from the recent RAW 8.5 release; Grad Mask is only available to CC users. It would be foolish for me to duplicate my purchase of Photoshop in order to have access to CC’s features. Please reconsider adding the Grad Mask in the next release of RAW to CS6 users. Thank you.

6. Paul Salazar says:

I’m running a iMac with OS10.9. I have both Photoshop CC and Photoshop CC 2014. Both are running ACR 8.3
    I can’t upgrade to 8.5! Any thoughts?

• Rikk Flohr says:

Let’s run a couple of tests:

When you launch Photoshop CC 2014 and go to Photoshop>About Plugin… Camera Raw what version does the popup window say is installed.
      Repeat for Photoshop CC. What version does the popup window say is installed.

7. Robert Dennis says:

Downloaded and ran the Windows file to update my Photoshop CC and Photoshop CC 2014, both of which register plugin ACR as version 8.0.0.137 to vers 8.5 . The download seems to have installed the DNG converter, but did not install Adobe Camera Raw 8.5. Both Photoshop CC and CC 2014 still list ACR plugin version 8.0.0.137 (and this is following a system reboot, too).

Help!

8. David Evans says:

I have downloaded and installed PS 2014. ACR plugin is shown as version 8.3. Where is ACR 8.5?

9. Keith Bauer says:

I see the comment from Paul on June 28,2013. I have the exact same problem. Both Photoshop CC and CC 2014 are running ACR 8.3 and I can’t seem to get an upgrade to happen. I’ve checked in Photoshop with Help/Updates and that says everything is up to date, which is clearly not correct. Has this been resolved for anyone?

10. Mathias Vejerslev says:

I also had to manually install version 8.5 as both Photoshop CC 2014 and Bridge CC reported that everything was up to date, when in fact my CR version was 8.4.1… Thanks for the link to the download.

11. Don Tomick says:

I’ve noticed that Raw images processed in the latest Adobe Camera Raw Candidate have slightly jagged diagonal lines when viewed at 100% or greater. Processing the same Raw image in Nikon’s NX-D didn’t have this problem.

12. Monte Evans says:

I have CS6 on Windows 7. The latest update 8.5 has caused a problem. When I click on the “synchronize” button in ACR, and then I click “ALL”, the crop is no longer included in “ALL”. “ALL” should mean EVERYTHING and not a select group – that would be a customized subset.
    Can this be fixed? Can I somehow install the previous version of ACR so it will work as intended?
    I hope that I will not have to uninstall / reinstall. Trying to contact Adobe is impossible.

13. Hi

Cameraraw plugin has the color sampler tool available.

The possibility of having on photoshop all the color samplers just created on Cameraraw plugin, would be a HUGE improvement for us.

On photoshop I can use the samplers not only to control color but also to read its x,y location and use them to crop instantly!
    I have a team of 16 editors that use cameraraw/photoshop/bridge with our own scripts. We have to open 5000 images per day and crop each one. Please, make this addition to cameraraw plugin! Or at least give me the chance of getting by script the x,y values of each individual color sampler.

14. EDDIE says:

Need some help with my ^Photoshop CS6 Extended program

I am trying to show some NEF files, but the Camera Raw plug in is out of date, it is 7.0.0, I need 8.3 or higher for my Nikon D610.

I have downloaded and unzipped Camera raw 8.5 but when I double click on it CS6 message states “Could Not complete you request because its not the right kind of document”

Can you please let me know what I need to do to get this working?

Thanks
    Eddie

15. Steve says:

I have lightroom 4 installed on my Mac. I recently purchased a sony rx100 III and when importing photos from it the software would not import saying that Lightroom did not recognize the camera/raw files. Is there an update to Lightroom that I could download that would recognize the Sony?

16. Keyur Nandaniya says:

i m still not able to get camera raw in my cc 2014 even after downloading DNG converter, please help

17. pranto says:

it’s only DNG where is camera raw 8.5 ?