Lightroom 5.5 now available

Lightroom 5.5 is now available as a final release on Adobe.com and through the update mechanism in Lightroom 5.  The goal of this release is to provide support for Lightroom mobile, additional camera raw support, lens profile support and address bugs that were introduced in previous releases of Lightroom.

Release Notes

New Camera Support in Lightroom 5.5

• Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II
  • Fujifilm FinePix S1
  • Nikon 1 J4
  • Nikon 1 S2
  • Nikon 1 V3
  • Olympus OM-D E-M10
  • Panasonic DMC-GH4
  • Pentax 645Z
  • Samsung NX3000
  • Sony DSC-RX100 III
  • Sony A7S (ILCE-7S)
  • Sony Alpha SLT-A77 II (ILCA-77M2)

New Lens Profile Support in Lightroom 5.5

• DF
  • 5300
  • D610

Canon:

• EOS Rebel T5

Bugs Corrected in Lightroom5.5

• Improved responsiveness in Develop module while Lightroom mobile sync is occurring.
  • Custom Develop module default settings were not syncing correctly to Lightroom mobile.
  • Initial rendition in Develop would sometimes appear posterized.
  • Undo function failed and applied a preset instead.
  • Scaling looked inaccurate when scaling to 200% in Windows.
  • Manual slideshows sometimes did not advance to the next slide as expected.
  • Aspect ratio changed when modifying the crop rectangle and when rotating the crop
  • Image flips between portrait and landscape after switching orientation while shooting tethered with Leica S cameras.
  • Fixed issue with Fujifilm X-T1 raw images appearing too bright at high ISO settings when using Dynamic Range 200% and 400%. Unfortunately, this fix may affect the appearance of existing images captured with this combination of settings. It is recommended that you (1) purge the Camera Raw cache via the Preferences dialog, and (2) review images shot at ISO settings higher than 1600 for unexpected brightness changes.
  • Fixed image quality issue (noisy result) when applying spot healing to floating-point (HDR) images.
  • Fixed issue with reading lossless compressed Nikon raw files (NEF files) from the camera models listed below. Previously, some images could be read but would appear as random noise, whereas attempting to open others would result in an error dialog. You will need to purge your Camera Raw cache via the Preferences dialog.
    • Nikon D1

Download Links:

Lightroom 5.5:

Mac – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5791

Win – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5792

76 Responses to Lightroom 5.5 now available

1. Lau says:

Great job ! Thank you for being pro-active in providing us with a RAW support for the Sony RX100M3 !

• BarbaraA says:

No matter what aspect ratio I’ve set in the Sony RX100 M3, when imported into LR5 all images have Crop marks on them. ! In Crop Overlay it shows “As Shot” which I can change to “Original”. I’ve never seen anything like this before and would like to understand what’s going on. Is it behaving the way it’s supposed to or is there a problem with the camera, or one with LR?

2. Jelle Bens says:

When is support for tethered capture with D610 coming?

3. Doesn’t LR 5.5 include the brush tool for the radial and gradient filters, as ACR 8.5 does? I can’t find it… ¿?

4. Cezary Raczko says:

Since Photoshop CC now has focus masking, can we please add a quick ‘focus highlight’ toggle to Lightroom? Just like i can quickly toggle blown out highlights and blocked up shadows, i’d like to be able to highlight the in-focus areas as i flick through images so that i can quickly cull the out of focus ones without having to check focus by zooming into the eyes of the subject in each image.
    Caesar

5. Thomas M says:

I miss the new mask brush options in Lightroom that are in Camera RAW: Modify Graduated and Radial Filter masks with a brush.

Will this come to a next version of Lightroom soon?

• Rikk Flohr says:

Thanks for your feedback. As a matter of policy, we cannot add features to Lightroom dot releases. We will look to add features to the next major release of Lightroom.

6. I’m downloading right now and haven’t tried yet.. but from what I read here, I assume there is still no tethered capture support for Nikon D610? very good stuff for the bug fixes, though, thank you for that. also, +1 on what Caesar said about the in-focus highlight Idea.

Evens

7. Laserwolf says:

Can someone please tell me where Contrast, Clarity, Vibrance, Saturation, Highlight and Exposure went with the latest update? It used to be the first option of tools on the right side. Now its gone. Thanks in advance!

8. Austin Bauman says:

How do you sync collections to the mobile Lightroom now? The check box option is now missing from 5.4. I’ve check the instructions, doesn’t seem to help.

9. Ray Brown says:

I updated to LR 5.5 and Photoshop CC (2014) today and now when I try to edit in PS from LR it will not open the image. PS will open, but the image will not go to it. The preference tab in LR seems correct and I erased the preference folder to let it set it again and that didn’t help.

Any suggestions?

10. Sauli Savisalo says:

Now LR Slideshow works fine, no more black screen. Thank’s.

Intel i7 with 24gb memory, ATI Radeon 48xx, Win 7

11. Brian says:

When will Lightroom get the new brush mode in the Gradient and Radial Filters available in Camera Raw 8.5? I was expecting it in Lightroom 5.5 and now Camera Raw and Lightroom are different. If I want to take advantage of this feature and I do, I must use a very convoluted workflow. Thank you.

• Rikk Flohr says:

12. Linda says:

Since updating to Lightroom 5.5 I get a message that I need Camera Raw 8.5 (when exporting to PS CC 2014). I have installed this and when I check for updates I get message that everything is up to date. Why can’t the new Camera Raw be found?

13. Caesar says:

Seems like 5.5 introduced a major performance regression. I have about 200,000 images in my library and ever since installing 5.5, when i expand my folder hierarchy it takes maybe half a second to update the image counts for each subfolder. This used to take a very small fraction of the second before. My library is on an SSD and i’ve optimized it countless times since the upgrade.

14. Michael Thorn says:

Anyone on here got a solution to the current problem with LightroomCC – where you get the “Develop module disabled” message??

15. Joe says:

Did something change in the Tone Curve in 5.5. I used to see the regions defined as shadows, darks, highlights, and lights with the ability to move the boundaries. Now I don’t see that. Did something change?

• rikkflohr says:

At the bottom right of the Tone Curve panel is a button with a curve on it. Click the button to restore the view you are looking for. This button allows you to edit the curve in Point Curve mode.

16. Marko says:

I have a problem with the Internet, where you can download the Camera Raw 8.5 for PS 6 manually?

17. Erica says:

This LR mobile looks great but I can’t find the Android version… Only iOS version ???

18. Robert van der Sanden says:

After updating to LR5.5 (stand alone licenced version, no CC, Win7pro PC) the program crashes a couple of times per hour with an error message that the program stopped working. I spoke to a few people who also use LR and they have the same issues after the update. Re-installed the program but this didn’t fix the problem.
    Is Adobe aware of this problem and is there a fix?

19. Kurt Kramer says:

I don’t see any mention of the bug in the Compare function. When you select a number of images from Grid mode and compare them to pick “a winner”, Lightroom not only selects the winner, but the image to its right in the Grid. So then, when you export, or make a virtual copy, or some other actions….you unwittingly do the action to two images, not the ONE you selected. On Forums I’ve read that Adobe regards this as a feature. What!?! For what possible purpose. It’s a nuisance and should be regarded as a bug needing fixing.

20. Tevis says:

Lightroom 5.5 constantly crashes in develop mode; like about every 15 minutes. Have never had this problem with previous updates. I think there are some serious bugs in this version that need to be fixed; it is almost unusable like this. I’m running Windows 7 Pro 64. Is there a patch to fix this?

• rikkflohr says:

We aren’t seeing wide-scale reports of this happening. A couple of recommendations would be to 1: Reset your preferences file or 2: to do an uninstall/reinstall.

Let us know if you continue to have crashes after trying these.

• Rockie says:

its still crashing.

uninstalled and re-installed.

• Forever says:

Hi,
        Your saying you are not seeing this in wide scale reports…well I just updated yesterday because well something always breaks with updates and this one is very bad. It constantly freezes, I can’t even put keywords on the photos and it takes at least three seconds to highlight a picture after I have clicked on it. This makes the entire process really hard and practically unbearable when you are trying to sort in large scale. Please tell me a fix has been made by now…Would love to hear your input. I am running Windows 7 with it and never had an issue before. Very slow and constantly stops working.

21. Rob says:

Had a tethered shoot last week after upgrading to 5.5 on my iMac. Nikon D700 wouldn’t stay connected. Kept dropping off with LR stating no camera connected.

Hadn’t upgraded LR on my 11″ MBAir so used that fine…

22. Nick says:

I updated to 5.5 but if I enable “Profile Corrections” it doesn’t recognize the lens of my G1X Mark II and i also can’t choice it from the drop down menu. It seems that this isn’t available yet?

Thanks.

23. After the update to 5.5, Lightroom constantly crashes and the act of “crop” in develop mode became slow almost every time. I’m running Windows 7 HP 64 bits. Please fix.

24. After the update to 5.5 this week, Lightroom crashes everytime I try to select more than 20 images at a time to export! I typically export up to 100′s or more at a time without a problem, until this upgrade. How am I supposed to export an entire Wedding of 600 edited images now?

25. Reid Simpson says:

Windows 8.1 Pro, LR 5.5/64bit crashes occasionally. Doesn’t seem very stable at this point. Here’s the details from one of my crashes:

lightroom.exe
    5.5.0.10
    5391f1ae
    ui.dll
    5.5.0.10
    5391ed91
    c0000005
    000000000010454d
    59fc
    01cf9980fbd1cbac
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.5\lightroom.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.5\ui.dll
    c3308fba-0578-11e4-beb6-8c89a5f317dc

26. Tom says:

Upgraded to LR 5.5 on windows 7 64 bit. Export to JPEG is now broken for more than 20 files. Reset preferences file. No change. Uninstalled LR. Reinstalled 5.5, still broken. Program crashes on export. Installed version 5.4 and all is well again.

Version 5.5 has to many bugs to use on windows 7 computer.

• Rikk Flohr says:

I haven’t seen problems with JPEG export-except with Canon’s newest DPP which appears to be unable to read some files. Can you describe what is happening? What programs cannot read the exported JPEGs? Or, possibly supply a sample for us to view.

27. I can’t even import anyting in 5.5 just crashes straight away (even after deleting the prefs) on 64-bit Windows 7 fully patched.

• Rikk Flohr says:

If you have killed the prefs already, my next recommendation would be to do an uninstall and reinstall, then trash the prefes again. Let us know if the crashing continues after this.

28. Morten Carlsen says:

Lightroom 5.5 is extremely erratic and should not even qualify past an Alpha version. Bitter days for adobe users – Only CC 2014 software half-way useable is Speedgrade.. The rest of the master suite is non-sense !

29. Brandie says:

Since updating Lightroom my software freezes and says “there was an error working with this photo” and puts an exclamation point on the picture. I have to get out and get back in and I can work about 5-10 minutes and it does it again.

30. eric thoreau says:

Hello,

I’ve recently installed LR5.5 (came with my DSLR) and trying to know if the Cano EF 8-15mm f/4 L is supported.
    Can you update the lenses list?

Regards

éric Thoreau

31. Alec says:

I up dated to 5.5, but it wont let me export !
    so I went back to 5.4, let me know when this bug is fixed
    I use windows 7 32bit

32. This version crashes ALL THE TIME! PC or MAC, doesn’t matter.
    I will downgrade to the 5.4.

33. René says:

good day
    You are about to create support for color profiles for fujifilm HS50 EXR

34. Marguerita says:

I am confused because the Creative Cloud full membership shows Lightroom as one of the programs included, but it isn’t. Anyone know anything about this? Thank you for any answers ♥

35. Doug says:

How about fixing the abysmal Fuji X-T1 “water-color” and profile issues? How is it that a company with a lot less resources than Adobe, is able to get RAF files right the first time? I just tried Photo Ninja, and it handles the files brilliantly! Only problem is that now I have to pull them back into LR as TIFF files. Not exactly efficient, in any way shape or form. Any actual human feelings on this Adobe employees? Or will this issue continue to be ignored? There’s no way I’d throw more money into an Adobe product with such poor support.

36. Peter says:

UPDATE: “Edit in Photoshop” is also broken. Photoshop opens, but without a document. Found mentions on the net that it can be fixed by re-installing Photoshop CC 2014, but I didn’t have time to try that yet.

Also, the aforementioned color shift bug with LR mobile that happens when touching any develop sliders seems to be specific to Nikon raws (only tried D300s so far), Fuji X100 files and JPEGs apparently don’t have that issue. Both raw formats were converted to DNG on ingest on the desktop.