Camera Raw 8.6 RC and DNG Converter 8.6 RC Now Available on Adobe Labs

Camera Raw 8.6 is now available as a release candidate on Adobe Labs for Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC on Adobe Labs.  An update of DNG Converter is also available on Adobe Labs.

As mentioned here, updates to Camera Raw 8 for Photoshop CS6 only include new camera support,  lens profile support, and bug fixes.  The new features listed in the release notes are only available in Photoshop CC.

New Camera Support in Camera Raw 8.6 Release Candidate

Sony Alpha Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM
Sony Alpha Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM
Sony Alpha Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM II
Sony Alpha Sony 135mm f/2.8 [T4.5] STF
Sony E Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M

Release Notes

Camera Raw 8.6 Release Candidate adds camera matching color profiles for the following camera models:

• Sony DSC-RX100 III
  • Sony A7S (ILCE-7S)
  • Sony Alpha SLT-A77 II (ILCA-77M2)

Camera Raw 8.6 Release Candidate  introduces the following new features for Photoshop CC customers:

– Improved performance when batch processing images via the Save button (in Camera Raw) and when converting images to DNG (in DNG Converter).  The performance improvements are available only in 64 bit systems.

Bug Fixes:

• Fix crash on launch in some cases on Hi DPI (Retina) systems.
  • Fix crash when opening some Sigma SD9 raw files.
  • Fix issue with JPEG images saved by Camera Raw not readable in some external applications.
  • Fix automatic lens profile selection for Leica M (Typ 240) when using most recent firmware version.
  • Fix issue with some Hasselblad H5D-50c and H5D-60 3FR raw images appearing slightly too dark. Unfortunately, this fix may affect the appearance of existing images captured with this combination of settings. It is recommended that you (1) purge the Camera Raw cache via the Camera Raw Preferences dialog, and (2) review previously captured images for unexpected brightness changes.

Thanks!

31 Responses to Camera Raw 8.6 RC and DNG Converter 8.6 RC Now Available on Adobe Labs

1. Martin Meadow says:

how about support for Panasonic DMC-TZ60

2. Hi Adobe,

Any Idea when we’ll see CR8.4 for LR5.5?

Thanks,
    John

3. Rodney Gracia says:

What we really need is Lightroom support for D810 as the camera is already in customers hands.

• Rikk Flohr says:

Should be coming soon. The Adobe Camera Raw/DNG 8.6 RC hit the Adobe Labs site yesterday so it is possible to get a DNG Converter that will take the Nikon D810 files and convert them to DNG for use in Lightroom today.

• Jason says:

What we pay Adobe gobs of money is not to have patches or backdoors but actual product support. When will a Lightroom update to support the Nikon D810 (That is in use with working professionals) be available?

• Rodney Gracia says:

Some of us do not convert to DNG. I want support for the full RAW format on the camera. Why is this taking so long when we are paying monthly subscriptions to be ahead of the shrink wrap software? This is really unacceptable.

4. Don Tomick says:

I’ve noticed that Raw images processed in the latest Adobe Camera Raw Candidate have slightly jagged diagonal lines when viewed at 100% or greater. Processing the same Raw image in Nikon’s NX-D didn’t have this problem.

5. Peter says:

Yes but this doesn’t help with importing into Lightroom!

• Rikk Flohr says:

The DNG Converter 8.6RC will allow you to convert the newly-supported cameras into a file that can be imported into Lightroom.

• Jeff Larsen says:

Installed both acr 8.6 PSCS6 (win7) and dng converter 8.6 (win7) from Adobe Labs. PSCS6 and Bridge recognize the raw D810 nef raw files. LR5.5 does not. LR 5.5 does not recognize and will not import D810 files. Stuck on acr 8.5. Solution yet? Or will we need to wait for the official LR5.5 acr update?

• Rikk Flohr says:

You can create a DNG of the D810 NEF via the Adobe DNG Converter 8.6 Release Candidate. That DNG should be readably in all versions of Lightroom. Lightroom’s native reading of Nikon D810 NEF files has not yet been released in any version but should be before long.

6. Ramon says:

Hello!

is RC ACR 8.6 and DNG 8.6 one file, or 2 separate files? Does it automatically install and get integrated into LR 5.5, or do I have further configuring that I need to do? Please advise. Installed the Camera Raw 8.6 on my desktop PC and I do not see LR 5.5 being able to import my D810 NEF files. Please help explain the process and if there is another file that needs to be downloaded

7. Ramon says:

Okay, I found the DNG converter link underneath the Camera Raw link- doh! I’ll try installing that and see if that resolves the issue :) I’m hoping it’s not a separate utility but just integrates with LR 5.5

8. Jeannie says:

I really want an updated profile for My Nikon D810 so I can upload directly into Lightroom 5.5. I do NOT want to convert to DNG first

9. Jock Skinner says:

I have converted the file from my 810 using the DNG converter and still not seen by Lightroom 5.5. It is ok using Photoshop to convert single images but I need a way to batch process and file into my current Lightroom database. Given that the most of these camera owners will be in the same boat and most pros are using Lightroom/Photoshop combination the discontented will only keep rising. Come on Lightroom support the D810.

10. David Levin says:

I converted my D810’s NEF files to DNG files using Adobe Camera Raw 8.6 RC, DNG Converter 8.6 RC to develop and catalog them in Lightroom 5.5. As I develop these DNG images in Lightroom, should I be concerned about any potential problems caused by this DNG Converter “release candidate” version? I’d hate to have to re-start the process and any time invested in LR if there is a chance that the release candidate version has a problem that cannot be fixed in LR.
    Thanks!

11. JDornieden says:

Would like a better Support for Olympus Cameras.

12. Lisa says:

I am using the new Beta DNG converter to convert my files and they are coming out corrupted. I can easily see them in other programs, but they have jagged lines and many have rainbow streaks across the entire image. Is there any idea what is happening? The DNG converter is corrupting random files. I imported twice, and got different results (different files were corrupted each time). The third time it was the same files being corrupted. My NEFs are able to be viewd in other software and are not corrupted.

• Rikk Flohr says:

Without seeing a screenshot or any other information, I would be looking at a data corruption-probably a reader or a cable. The appearance you are describing is very typical of a data transfer problem. I have heard no reports of any corruption coming from the DNG Converter itself.

Can you describe exactly how you transferred the files from your camera to the computer?

The reason it looks fine in other software is that most programs do not look at the Raw file but rather the embedded JPEG preview.

• Are you converting SmallRaws from Nikon D810? We’ve discovered an issue with SmallRaws from the D810 that will be addressed in the final release (which will be out shortly).

13. Jakes says:

I invest in Lr and Ps and a new camera, and it is not giving me professional results. Processing is as much a part of our profession as the camera and lenses. The new Capture NX-D is a disaster.. But Lr is my processing tool and my organizing system, get your act together…

14. Cliff Brockman says:

Just got my D750. Same issue. LR will not recognize the NEF files.