Camera Raw 8.6 and DNG Converter 8.6 Now Available

Camera Raw 8.6 is now available as a final release for Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC. This release improves performance when batch processing images, both through the Save button in Camera Raw and when converting images to DNG in the DNG Converter.  DNG Converter 8.6 is provided for customers using versions of Photoshop older than Photoshop CS6.

As mentioned here, updates to Camera Raw 8 for Photoshop CS6 only include new camera support, lens profile support, and bug fixes.  The new features listed in the release notes are only available in Photoshop CC.

New Camera Support in Camera Raw 8.6

Sony Alpha Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM
Sony Alpha Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM
Sony Alpha Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM II
Sony Alpha Sony 135mm f/2.8 [T4.5] STF
Sony Alpha Sony 300mm f/2.8 G SSM II
Sony E Zeiss Touit 2.8/50M

Please note – the profile for the newly added Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens is not automatically located when applying lens profile corrections.  This is a bug and we will fix it in a future release.  The workaround is to:

-        Manually select the profile and choose “Save New Lens Profile Defaults” in the Setup menu on the Profile tab. From then on, the lens should automatically select when the profile is enabled.

Release Notes

Camera Raw 8.6 adds camera matching color profiles for the following camera models:

• Sony DSC-RX100 III
  • Sony A7S (ILCE-7S)
  • Sony Alpha SLT-A77 II (ILCA-77M2)

Camera Raw 8.6 introduces the following new features for Photoshop CC customers:

-        Improved performance when batch processing images via the Save button (in Camera Raw) and when converting images to DNG (in DNG Converter).  The performance improvements are available only on 64 bit systems.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed crash on launch in some cases on Hi DPI (Retina) systems.
  • Fixed crash when opening some Sigma SD9 raw files.
  • Fixed issue with JPEG images saved by Camera Raw not readable in some external applications.
  • Fixed automatic lens profile selection for Leica M (Typ 240) when using most recent firmware version.
  • Fixed issue with some Hasselblad H5D-50c and H5D-60 3FR raw images appearing slightly too dark. Unfortunately, this fix may affect the appearance of existing images captured with this combination of settings. It is recommended that you (1) purge the Camera Raw cache via the Camera Raw Preferences dialog, and (2) review previously captured images for unexpected brightness changes.
  • Fixed bug with converting Nikon D810 and Nikon D4S sRaw files to DNG.
  • Tweaked and updated the Adobe Standard color profile for the Nikon D810.  Please note that this only impacts customers that used Camera Raw 8.6 RC with the Nikon D810.

Please note – If you have trouble updating to the latest ACR update via the Creative Cloud application, please refer to the following plugin installation:

Download Links

DNG Converter 8.6

Mac - http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5824

Win - http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5825

Thanks!

50 Responses to Camera Raw 8.6 and DNG Converter 8.6 Now Available

1. Steve Dixon says:

Have tried to run LR this morning and when prompted for the update to 5.6 the system then hangs and I have to use Task Manager to cancel LR, now I can’t use LR at all.

2. Hayo Baan says:

Please note that the link http://helpx.stage.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html currently does not work and results in an access denied error:
    Access Denied
    You don’t have permission to access “http://helpx.stage.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html” on this server.
    Reference #18.7a991002.1406789847.2382c18

3. D.A.Wagner says:

I just downloaded 5.6 and I’m sitting here with a tethered Nikon D810 but LR shows No Camera Detected. Is the support only for the D810 camera raw? When is tethered support coming?

• Rikk Flohr says:

Lightroom 5.6 introduced support for the D810 Raw file format. Tethering for the D810 is not yet included in Lightroom. Thanks for your patience.

• D.A.Wagner says:

Thanks for the clarification, RIkk. That’s where I get sideswiped since I’m one of those guys that tethers most of the time. Until Adobe posted the patch for tethering last year (or was it early this year?), I was stuck doing a few shots at a time and then restarting LR. It was a bear.
        Is there an ETA on tethered support for the D810?

4. David says:

I already downloaded & installed LR 5.6 update when it came out 7/31. I just got the Nikon D810 today (8/6) & LR won’t open or read the NEF files. I checked the LR about & I do have 5.6 & CR 8.6 installed. I did try the new DNG stand alone converter with no luck. Any other ideas?

• Rikk Flohr says:

David, are you using any Nikon software to download the files prior to attempting to import them in Lightroom? Are these full-sized Raw or the newer small Raw format?

• Bernard says:

Rick – I have the same problem as covered in your exchange with David, and yes, I have imported the NEF flies taken by my D810 using Nikon Transfer 2. Can’t open the raw files in either LR or PS CC and all updates to ACR have been made. Should I reimport the files from my compact flash cards using Bride or LR? Bernard

• Rikk Flohr says:

Bernard, that is a good trouble shooting step. It should be fairly quick and easy to determine if the same file, imported direct from your card to Lightroom, is now viable, where it wasn’t when using Nikon Transfer 2 as a go-between.

Try it with just a file or two you know to be unreadable now and see if they work when imported direct.

5. Marek Glaser says:

I am experiencing what seems to be an export bug. I am trying to export square images at different sizes and in each case the vertical height is of the output image is 95% of what it should be. (too short)

• Marek Glaser says:

I’m trying to find a workaround to this, apparently the “Edit in Photoshop” tool is sending the wrong image size to Photoshop also. Not seeing this issue on some older square cropped images, just this particular one at the moment.

• Marek Glaser says:

I flattened the layered TIFF file and re-saved it, this allowed me to export the image at the correct size. It seems the layers in the file were triggering an image size export bug.

6. Andy says:

How soon before there is support for Sony RX100M3 raw files? Thanks

7. Christopher Draper says:

Will Camera Raw 8.6 be available for Elements 12?

• Rikk Flohr says:

Have you tried updating from the Editor, if not go to Expert Mode and click:
      Help >> Updates
      But check first under the Help menu that you are signed-in – your email address used for you Adobe ID should be visible. You should be able to update to the latest version of ACR for Elements.

• Domenico Richter says:

There is no Camera Raw 8.6 for Photoshop Elements 12.

It might be, that this will be insert in Photoshop Elements 13.

8. Amber says:

I just downloaded and installed Photoshop CC because my older version would read my d810 raw files. When I went to Help>updates it is telling me that I am already running Adobe App Manager and to close it in order to get updates through PS. I’m not running it anywhere else so I can’t download the ACR 8.6 through the program. So I clicked the link above: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html and this is also not working. It just loads and loads but doesn’t complete. Getting very frustrated. Thoughts?

9. GTF says:

FWIW – the ACR plugin updates are the only updates in the CC suite i ever have a problem with.
    Every other application updates seamlessly.
    Is the ACR team working for a different company?
    Appologies for being a bit terse but it’s kind of frustrating that every ACR update requires some kind of manual work around.

10. New update did not fix very slow refresh of images when is develop module. Jumps around when cropping or doing anything. Makes it almost unusable on deadline assignments.
    Macbook Retina 2.3 with 16 gigs of ram.
    Was much fast before last two updates……

What gives…

11. Tom says:

Wow, batch processing images really did improve!
    I’m curious exactly how the performance was improved. Does it make use of more cores? More RAM? This would be useful to know for reference in building/buying/upgrading computers in the future.

12. Gail says:

What happened to the ‘eye’ or preview on/off in the upper right corner of C-R 8.6? The seems to be no way to see before/after effects of changes made.

13. Neil says:

I have PS CC 2014 on a laptop and desktop. ACR on the laptop shows my canon lenses, ACR on the desktop cannot find any lens profiles. How do I fix this? I tried to find the file location so I could just copy them from the laptop but could not find them and the installer suggested above says it is not for my versions of windows, Win 7 Home Prem. Laptop has Win 8

Thanks

14. donald morton says:

Hi,
    I’m running CS6 Extended (13.0.6 x64) on Snow Leopard. My CR version is 8.3.0.141 and I’m trying to update it to 8.6 but cannot because update indicates there are no updates available. Is there a way around this? I’d like to know before manually downloading ACR 8.6 and trying an install; don’t want to mess up my current installation.

Thanks!
    Donald

15. donald morton says:

Thanks, Rikk. I’ll give that a try. So do I understand correctly that CR in CS6 will only go up to 8.5?

16. donald morton says:

Ouch! I installed ver. 8.5 according to Adobe’s instructions and now CR won’t open when I try a .NEF file. I get a message that says, “Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file.” Not good since installing 8.5 automatically overwrote ver. 8.4. Do you have any suggestions, Rikk?

17. Xbert says:

I installed ACR 8.6 (windows 7.0 Home Premium) PS 6 and LR 4.4 and have had no success in opening TIF or JPEG files in ACR.

18. carrot.jp@free.fr says:

Photoshop élément 11 n’ouvre pas les fichiers RAW PEF de PENTAX K3, alors qu’il ouvre ceux de K20d. mise à jour faite, même avec la nouvelle mise à jour Photoshop RAW 8.6, négatif aussi. Après contact auprès de PENTAX, qui m’ont affirmé que ceci devrait fonctionner, et que dans votre liste des appareils, le PENTA.KK3 y figure.
    espérant une réponse

19. Francis says:

When will the Sony a5100 (ILCE-5100) RAW be supported?

• Francis says:

Thanks, but that does not answer my question, as I have 8.6.0.254 installed and I know the Sony a5100 is not on the supported list, as the Sony a5100 is a new camera.

• Rikk Flohr says:

From the link I sent you – see the “Finally” section:

First, make sure you have the latest updates for Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop. (The process to update Lightroom is similar. Launch Lightroom and choose Help>Check for Updates…) It’s always a good idea to have the latest updates installed.

Second, if updating to the latest version doesn’t give you joy and let you open your camera raw files, verify your camera make and model is on the list of supported cameras.

Third, if your camera isn’t on the list of supported cameras check on Adobe Labs for a release candidates of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in or Adobe Lightroom. A release candidate is a very close to done version of the plug-in that Adobe shares with the community prior to full release for additional testing.

Finally, if your camera came out within the past 90 days, be patient, as you may need to wait for the new camera support. Adobe goes through a rigorous process of adding support for and testing of each new camera raw format. Adobe generally releases updates of the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in and Lightroom to provide new camera support about once a quarter, or about every 90 days. Feel free to drop us request or vote for specific camera support on our Feedback Site.

20. James says:

Just installed Camera Raw 8.6 and DNG Converter 8.6. I am still getting rainbows on my raw d810 files. How do I fix this?

• Rikk Flohr says:

Rainbows or color patterns on a Raw file is normally an indicator of a data transfer problem between camera, card, reader, or cable. The Jpeg preview of the file normally looks fine but when the Raw file is interpreted, data corruptions appear. I would recommend checking out your cable/card reader and camera cards in that order.