Camera Raw 8.7 RC and DNG Converter 8.7 RC Now Available on Adobe Labs

Camera Raw 8.7 is now available as a release candidate on Adobe Labs for Photoshop CS6 Photoshop CC and Photoshop CC 2014 on Adobe Labs.  An update of DNG Converter is also available on Adobe Labs.

As mentioned here, updates to Camera Raw 8 for Photoshop CS6 only include new camera support,  lens profile support, and bug fixes.  The new features listed in the release notes are only available in Photoshop CC.

New Camera Support in Camera Raw 8.7 Release Candidate

• Casio EX-100PRO
  • Fujifilm X30
  • Leaf Credo 50
  • Leica V-Lux (Typ 114)
  • Nikon D750
  • Panasonic DMC-GM1S
  • Sony ILCE-5100
  • Sony ILCE-QX1

New Lens Profile Support in Camera Raw 8.7 Release Candidate

Mount Name
Canon Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8
Fujifilm X HandeVision IBELUX 40mm F0.85
Leica M SLR Magic 50mm T0.95 Hyperprime Cine Lens
Leica S Leica SUMMICRON-S 100 mm f/2 ASPH.
Nikon F (DX) Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8
PENTAX 645 HD PENTAX-DA 645 28-45mm F4.5ED AW SR
Sony Alpha Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM
Sony Alpha Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6
Sony Alpha Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6
Sony Alpha Sony 300mm F2.8 G SSM
Sony Alpha Sony 500mm F4 G SSM
Sony E HandeVision IBELUX 40mm F0.85
Sony E SLR Magic 50mm F0.95 Hyperprime Lens
Sony E Sony FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Voigtlander VM Voigtlander VM 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar
Voigtlander VM Voigtlander VM 75mm F1.8 Heliar

Release Notes

Camera Raw 8.7 RC includes HiDPI support for Windows.

• When Photoshop CC 2014’s option to scale the UI 200% is enabled (Edit > Preferences > Experimental Features), the Camera Raw dialog will also be scaled.
  • Known issues:
    • Sometimes the Camera Raw dialog will not scale after the initial Photoshop relaunch to enable the feature. Workaround: relaunch Photoshop again.
    • Some UI flashing/redrawing during interactive operations such as dragging a local adjustment gradient or toggling fullscreen mode.

Improve performance on processors with AVX/AVX2 vector instruction support (Intel Sandy Bridge (2011) processors and later; AMD Bulldozer (2011) processors and later).

Bug Fixes:

• Fix crash when rapidly adding corrections with the Spot Removal tool.
  • Fix bug that prevented the Filter Brush cursor from displaying while changing brush size when the Graduated and Radial Filter overlay is turned off.
  • Improve quality of Camera Matching color profiles for the Nikon D810. Fixes visible banding issues with the Camera Standard, Camera Vivid, Camera Landscape, and Camera Monochrome profiles.

87 Responses to Camera Raw 8.7 RC and DNG Converter 8.7 RC Now Available on Adobe Labs

1. Whee can I download DNG Converter 8.7 RC?

2. Jim says:

Will adobe have an update for LR 5.x that will support RAW files from a D750?

3. simon says:

4. I downloaded 8.7 converter & DNG for camera raw and I can import files from D750 into Bride, but not Lightroom 5.6 for my Mac? Help!!! You need to use the DNG Convert 8.7 to convert the files to DNG, then import them into Lightroom 5.6.

• You can use the DNG Covert 8.7 to convert your files to DNG, then import your DNGs into Lightroom 5.6.

• Tom says:

Ah – this is what i have been looking for! I shot the D750 twice this weekend. I was able to view them in Bridge and export JPEG but I thought I was stuck waiting for the LR update or doing it the hard way (open w Photoshop and save PSDs). I’m new to the DNG converter but looking forward to getting these photos edited. Thanks!

5. Trina says:

Will the update to support RAW files from D750 be available for LR4?

6. Bjorn Midtgard says:

When will camera raw 8.7 (D750 support) for Photoshop Elements be available?

7. Marion says:

The Lens Profile for Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 DC Pentax mount added in 8.6 does a bad job. Could someone chek this out?

8. Marcelo Calil says:

I had adobe dng converter 8.6 installed. tried to install 8.7 with no luck. it didnt updated so i trashed and tried to install the newer version again. it says it did install successulfully but the app doesnt show anywhere.

9. Rives says:

Is the Canon SX60HS covered with the new raw files in lightroom?

10. Tom says:

I downloaded the Camera Raw 8.7. It appears that it should include DNG Converter 8.7.
    However I have installed it but when I launch DNG converter I only have 8.6 available and it does not see the Nikon D750 raw files. Any guidance available?

“Thank you for your interest in downloading the Adobe® Photoshop® Camera Raw 8.7 for CS6 release candidate on Adobe Labs. The Camera Raw 8.7 for CS6 update includes support for many new cameras and lens profiles. A release candidate build of DNG Converter 8.7 is also provided.”

11. Dave says:

I have downloaded 8.7 DNG converter for mac but it does not recognize my d750 files. Will not give me the convert operation.

12. Fix crash when rapidly adding corrections with the Spot Removal tool.

^^^ Thank you Adobe Camera RAW team for answering my forum posts and bug reports!!!! Just had another crash and discovered the update. NEVER AGAIN!! 🙂

13. Scott Graham says:

Why does ACR not support compressed files for Leaf digital backs—they have been around a long time and it is overdue? the support I mean.

And I vaguely recall that ACR used to come with camera profiles for Leaf digital backs. This is apparently no longer true. Are they available?

• Rikk Flohr says:

Here is a list of compatible cameras: There are many from Leaf. There is also this note:

“*** Note: Camera Raw doesn’t support compressed MOS files from Leaf or Mamiya cameras. If you can’t open your MOS file in Camera Raw, try using a camera proprietary converter to remove the compression from the files. (Proprietary converters include Leaf Raw Converter or Phase One Capture One.)”

The proprietary nature of the compression is likely what is holding things up.

14. Charlie says:

When will RAW support for Nikon D750 for Lightroom five be available? and when it is will we automatically get it by clicking Check for Updates? and what is the best way to handle RAW files? I am reading about DNG converter…can you spell this out in simple terms what I need to do?

Clueless one.

• Rikk Flohr says:

It will be ready with the LR 5.7 release which is coming soon. When it is released, it will show up in your Check for Updates.

DNG Converter in a nutshell:

Download and install DNG converter.
      Copy files from your D750 card to a folder on your hard drive.
      Set DNG converter to batch convert the folder from NEF to DNG.
      Import the DNG file set into your current LR version.

This will allow you to work until official D750 support is released in LR. Then you can decide to if you want to import the NEF files or just continue to work with the DNG…

15. Charlie says:

Got it and thanks for such a clear explination..

16. Jeremy says:

I’m using Lightroom 4 on a Mac OS 10.10. I downloaded and installed the DNG Converter (using the link posted by Rikk Flohr above on Oct 16). But when I try to open the folder containing my D750 .NEF files (which I just copied from my SD card to my hard drive), they are “grayed out”, cannot select them to convert. Not sure what I’m missing. Thanks for helping out.

• Rikk Flohr says:

Did you convert them using the DNG Converter before you attempted to import them? DNG Converter does batch conversions of the files by folder from NEF to DNG. This is a separate operation and not done at the same time as import.

Close Lightroom
      Set DNG Converter to convert the folder of NEFs
      You should now have a folder of NEF and a folder of DNG
      Open Lightroom and point at the new collection of DNGs.

• Jeremy says:

Thanks, Rikk. I didn’t realize I just needed to select the folder and not individual files. Seems pretty simple now. Got my .dng files.

17. T Mills says:

I want to use LR5 to edit my Nikon D750 raw files. I understand that until LR camera raw that supports the D750 raw format is available, I can use the CR 8.7 pre-release DNG converter. Another option is to convert to TIF format using Nikon’s ViewNX 2 which came with the D750. Eventually, What is the advantage/disadvantage of using the DNG vs the TIF files?
    Ultimately, I want to import the raw files into LR and most likely transfer the edits to the raw files as the raw files are the out of the camera unconverted data. Will the DNG or TIF conversions make reverting to the raw files easier.

• Rikk Flohr says:

DNG will be a smaller (disk space) version than an NX 2 created Tiff. DNG also has the ability (with a space penalty) of including the pristine Raw file inside the DNG. If you were going to revert to the Raw file on images already taken, the DNG is the way to go.

Personally, I would convert to DNG now and when the Raw file is supported in Lightroom, decide whether to continue to use DNG or NEF on future images. There would be no tangible reason to go back and try to revert those DNG files back to NEF.

18. luc says:

Hi everybody….
    M’m fighting a little bit with the following matter:
    I Have a 2009 IMac…and a super new NikonD750….
    I upgrade the my IMac OS to Yosemite and I have installed – Photoshop CS5 Version….
    I have downloaded and installed Camera Raw 8.7 na DNG Converter….but still I don’t have the possibility to see my RAW files in Photoshop or Adobe Bridge….
    The only way to see the files, is to open the Raw File with Capture Nx-d…convert the the RAW file to TIF …and than work on it by Photoshop….
    Is this the wright way to operate?
    Is it still possible that with CS5 is not possible to open and view directly the D750’s RAW file ??

Thanks in advance for the support

• Rikk Flohr says:

You would need to download the DNG Converter 8.7 RC and batch convert your D750 Nef to DNG files. Then the DNG files can be opened in PS CS5. CS5 no longer receives new-camera support directly.

19. Dan C says:

when are you going to release the next version with the Canon 7d Mark II included

20. Alan C says:

I just bought the Canon 7D Mark II and I am unable to process RAW files in Lightroom 5 and Elements 13. When will an update be released to support the new RAW format for the Mark II camera?

21. Jay says:

DNG converter 8.7 was working fine at first, but now it’s not loading ANY images up when I select a folder. Anyone else? It’s just broken for me right now.

• Jay says:

I have tried reinstalling and no change. Tried restarting computer and no change. There are only 4 options showing on the window, ending at preferences. It just doesn’t load the files to be converted anymore. No idea why.

• Jay says:

Somehow the window got resized so the buttons on bottom aren’t visible. Any idea how to resize the window back?

• Jay says:

Just realized the issue: I have my text/etc. sizes in Win7 (display settings) increased to medium and so the bottom part doesn’t show because the window is too short/doesn’t resize for larger text sizes.

22. Tracy says:

I have Photoshop CS3 and just got the Nikon D750. Which dng converter should I use to open my raw files?

23. Richard Swain says:

When will Raw support for the Canon 7D MK II be available for both Photoshop and Lightroom? The version 8.7 doesn’t seem to work.

• Rikk Flohr says:

The 8.7 RC doesn’t have support for the 7DMKII yet. Coming soon.

• Adele says:

“Soon”. It doesn’t FEEL like soon. It has been weeks now. Feels like it shouldn’t be that hard to add this new camera. Especially when it isn’t like this camera was a surprise to anyone. It isn’t like nobody had any pre-release ones to work with. And yet here we sit – completely unable to use this great new camera with our Adobe products. Feels very NOT soon. Feels torturous. Please hurry 🙂

• Rikk Flohr says:

Adele, Consider that Camera Raw/Lightroom receive approximately 4 updates a year which potentially include: camera support, tether support, lens profile support, bug fixes, and more. There are many cameras to be added this time around due to the many releases made by manufacturers and all of those need to be tested.

If your camera manufacturer produced an industry standard file such as a DNG you would be able to use it out of the box. And, as camera manufacturers reserve the right to modify the file specification of their proprietary Raw until the time of release, we have to wait for an actual production camera to be released to engineer support in Camera Raw and Lightroom. A more complete discussion can be found here:

• Phill says:

DNG as an industry standard? Only Adobe are trying to force that to be fair. It’ll never happen as camera companies want to protect their assets.
            As for final releases, how hard is it to add new RC versions during the testing stage? Surely as long as you say 100% there will be no support for RC versions then all it gives you are more testers. Maybe even keep a tarball available on the developers repository and allow customers download rights. No extra work for the devs to do that.

• Phill says:

Well done on a fast release of ACR 8.7.

24. Johanna says:

I shot in RAW with my Nikon d90 and now with my new d7100. I down loaded the DNG converter to the NEF files and it is converting them into the dng fine. But if I look at the file size when they get converted to dng file they are about 2MB smaller. Why is that and how can I stop it?

25. Tim Glowik says:

I am still waiting for the support of the RW2-format of the Panasonic LX100 – will this camera be supported an ACR 8.7 (its not supported in ACR 8.7 RC) ?

26. Prasannan says:

I amd shooting in Leica M and the present batch is 48.3MB DNG file . I could not importthese files directly into Lightroom5.7 through Mac Pro.I have installed a DNG converter 5.7 and batch converter the files and the size of file reduced to half. I tried to import these converted files again through Lightroom. This process is also not sucessful . Please advise me the correct method.

27. Prasannan says:

Addendum : The converter used is the latest availble for download from adode.

28. ANN THOMPSON says:

Am having problems downloading RAW images from my Nikon 750 to Lightroom 5. I have downloaded the DNG converter 8.7 and batch converter. How do I set the converter to convert the folder of NEFs to DNGs?

29. Jason says:

Where is the link for the camera raw download?

30. Tom y says:

Hi all,
    I’m loading NEF files from my Nikon D750 directly into Lightroom 5.7. I expected to see a reference to D750 in the Camera Calibration Profile menu, but I don’t see the reference. I understand LR 5.7 supports the D750. What am I missing? Thanks for the help …

31. Tom y says:

Thanks for the reply …
    I just down loaded LR 5.7.1 and don’t see any change.
    What I see in the Calibration Profile menu in addition to Adobe Standard are a series of camera settings, i.e., Camera Flat, Camera Landscape, Camera Monochrome, Camera Normal, Camera Portrait, Camera Standard, and Camera Vivid.
    Are these the D750 camera settings? (I assumed these were generic.)
    Thanks again…

• Rikk Flohr says:

They are not the D750 in-camera settings but rather Lightroom’s equivalent settings. Nikon holds the actual in-camera processing settings pretty close to the vest.

32. George says:

I’m not seeing the radial filter button in ACR.

I have installed Photoshop CS6 with Camera Raw 8.7.1. I have the graduated filter button but no radial filter button. Any tips on how I can get the Radial Filter button to show

Many thanks

• Rikk Flohr says:

You won’t see the Radial Filter in CS6. Camera Raw for CS6 contains only new camera support and lens profiles but not any new features. The Radial Filter is available beginning with LR5 or Photoshop CC.

33. vivian bibliowicz says:

i can not work with my raws from sony 7II Which plug in should i download?

34. Linda Litwin says:

Regarding the question above from Vivian…I just purchased a Sony Alpha 7ii a week ago and began taking “test” images in RAW. No luck uploading .ARW RAW files to LR 5.7.1 ( which I just now uploaded) Any ideas? Thanks!

35. Hubbard Toombs says:

I have CS5 and a Nikon D750. Is there a Camera Raw update that will enable opening files in Bridge?

36. NIna Edminson says:

Will there be a Camera Raw update for CS5 for the new Canon 7D mkii. I have just purchased this model and edit raw files but cannot open them. I see no point in upgrading to CS6 as I have all the features I need in CS5