Sony a7r II uncompressed raw file support in Camera Raw and Lightroom

Sony recently released a firmware update for the Sony ILCE7RM2 (a7r II) camera that allows photographers to capture images in an uncompressed 14-bit raw file format.   If you’re already using Camera Raw 9.2  or Lightroom 2015.2/6.2, there’s no further action required and they will just work with the updated firmware in your Sony a7r ii.

22 Responses to Sony a7r II uncompressed raw file support in Camera Raw and Lightroom

1. Brian Zwit says:

Does 2015.1.1 support uncompressed 7Ar II raw files also? I can see my 7Ar ii uncompressed files and I am using 2015.1.1. Is support in 2015.1.1 in 2015.2 somehow different or better?

2. Steve says:

Jeffery, ACR 9.2 still only shows a 42MB option.

3. NilsWille says:

Yes, this was a pleasant surprise. Thanks for that. 🙂

4. Michael says:

Great to hear that Adobe developer team listening to us users! Huge Thanks!

5. Alyza says:

Can I use this on any previous version of Sony.

6. David Martin says:

Lightroom 2015.1.1 sees the Sony raw files, with ACR 9.2 installed, but doesn”t import them..it takes only the jpegs. Your point release fiasco, which will be six (6) weeks old tomorrow, has caused me innumerable losses in trying to use a $3,200 camera with your “improved” POS.

And still no new point release in sight, just an idiotic survey to find out just how pissed off your professional user base is.

All one has to do to discover that is to look at the more than 3,000 comments between the Journal and the Photoshop blogs.

Finally, the performance issue of 2015.1.1 under El Capitan make the program unusable. Tomorrow, I am purchasing Capture One Pro and damning Adobe to the dustbin of crappy software companies.

7. Ben Smith says:

Will Lightroom 5.7.1 and Camera Raw 8.7.1 be updated to allow editing of A7ii uncompressed raw files?

• Sharad Mangalick says:

Hi Ben,

We’re not planning to update Lr 5.7.1 with further camera support. Please use the DNG Converter to continue receiving future camera support compatible with Lightroom 5.

thanks
      Sharad

8. Bill Webb says:

LR and latest ACR will not recognize 14-bit raw files from a firmware updated Sony A7ii. Can see the previews but cannot do anything in Develop module. This is a bit odd because if I open the same file in PS via Bridge it comes up in ACR and then into PS seemingly OK. WHY, WHY does LR not work with thee files?

9. Bill Webb says:

LR (even after latest ACR update today) will not recognize 14-bit raw files from a firmware updated Sony A7ii. Can see the previews but cannot do anything in Develop module. This is a bit odd because if I open the same file in PS via Bridge it comes up in ACR and then into PS seemingly OK. WHY, WHY does LR not work with these files?

10. Ben Smith says:

I agree with Bill. I purchased LR 6 and still cannot process uncompressed raws from an A7ii.

What’s up?

11. Marisa says:

I can’t open files from a sony a7rII in lightroom 5 or 6, which I upgraded it last week just because I was told by Adobe it will work. What else can I do? I have a lot of my work done with this camera and unavailable to edit.

12. When I upload my sony ar7ll files into Lightroom, they seem to be the correct color as when they were shot, then after a few minutes, the color changes. It looks like the files’ saturation has been taken down. I have to edit the photos to make the color correct again, then start the edit as usual. Does anyone know what is happening?

13. Pawel says:

where can I find raw video file to test it on my computer?
    I want to rent A7S2 and first wanted to play around with software needed before I rent it.

thanks for help

14. Mike says:

what do I have to do to get LR 5 to open my Sony a7ll files?

15. Harry says:

Hello, I´m using LR 5.7.1 an ACR 8.7.1, but I can´t edit use my Sony a7II in Firmware 2.0.
    Also DNG Converter can not used (Fehler beim Parsen der Dateien).
    What´s wrong? What can I do?

16. Duncan says:

Any improvements to speed with the A7R II raw files in LR? Still seems to be useless.

17. Murali Sridhar says:

I am using Sony a7S2. I am not able to open the .arw files . I am using 5.7.1 version

• Rikk Flohr says:

Lightroom 6.2/CC2015.2 is required to read these files directly into Lightroom. You can either upgrade/subscribe or use Adobe’s free DNG converter to convert your ARW into DNG that your older version of the software can read.