For IBM WebSphere, see here.
LiveCycle ES2’s Configuration Manager (LCM) provides you two options for configuring JDBC data sources in WebLogic:
1) Package it inside the EAR files (more secure)
2) Create it in the WebLogic Admin Console
Choice #2 provides a lot more flexibility when it comes to configuring the data sources for database failover. Runtime configuration changes such as increasing the pool size can be done without having to un-deploy and re-deploy EAR files.
To ensure that the connections in the connection pool are valid, the following additional configuration changes are necessary. This is based on an actual customer deployment against an active-passive SQL Server database cluster. You can make changes as necessary to fit your IT environment.
1) In the ‘Connection Pool‘ tab for the JDBC data source, in the ‘Advanced‘ section, ensure that the checkbox for ‘Test Connections on Reserve‘ is checked
2) Set ‘Test Frequency‘ to 10 seconds
3) Set ‘Test Table Name‘ to “DUAL” or “EDCJOBENTITY”
4) Set ‘Seconds to Trust an Idle Pool Connection‘ to 5 seconds
5) Set ‘Init SQL‘ to “SQL SELECT * FROM DUAL” or “SQL SELECT COUNT(*) FROM EDCJOBENTITY”
6) Set ‘Connection Creation Retry Frequency‘ to 12 seconds
7) Set ‘Login Delay‘ to 0 seconds
8) Set ‘Inactive Connection Timeout‘ to 0 seconds
9) Set ‘Connection Reserve Timeout‘ to 10 seconds