Adobe® LiveCycle® ES4 is offering a new component – Forms Manager – that simplifies form management.
Forms Manager exposes most common form management operations through an HTML based user interface helping non-IT users to easily upload, download, preview, configure, activate and deactivate forms. It also exposes search APIs which can be used by developers to expose these forms to the end users through their existing portal.
Forms manager supports management of XFA forms (.xdp) and related images. The Forms are maintained on the LiveCycle server as part of LiveCycle applications, with additional meta data maintained in the embedded CQ instance. All existing LiveCycle applications containing form and image assets are automatically made available inside Forms manager after upgrade.
Various Forms Manager capabilities for developers and form administrators include:
- Upload and Download of forms and images through the Forms Manager UI by form designers to add new forms, and modify existing forms.
- Import and Export of forms through LiveCycle Archive files to help migration of data from one server to another (eg. staging to production servers).
- Automatic replication of the Forms from LiveCycle native repository to embedded CQ instance to keep the Forms Manager data in sync with the LiveCycle native repository.
- Support to add additional meta data to the forms like:
- Title of the form
- Description of the form
- Author’s name
- CQ tags
- Custom properties
- Advanced search based on various attributes of the form (including meta data)
- Search APIs to enable developers to share forms on an existing portal.
- Manual and Scheduled activation and deactivation of forms for managing availability of forms on the customer facing portal.
- HTML and PDF preview of forms with optional sample data.
- Viewing and browsing form relationships.
- Configure submit URL, render profile for the form.
- Synchronization of forms between LiveCycle
A LiveCycle user having ‘Forms Manager Administrator’ role can log in to Forms Manager by accessing the URL: http://<server>:<port>/lc/fm (Super Administrator has this role out of the box).
Forms Manager initial screen can be divided into 6 main parts (refer to the attached screenshot):
- Tab bar: The tab bar shows the various forms that are currently opened by the user. The user can switch between the open forms by clicking any of the open tabs.
- Breadcrumb: Forms Manager provides a folder like interface which can be used to traverse the various applications, folder and forms. The breadcrumb is shown during the traversal to provide the user with the information about his current location and offer shortcuts.
- Action Bar: The action bar contains the basic search pod on the left side which helps perform a full text search on the forms. On the right it contains action buttons for editing the meta data of the form, uploading/downloading forms and images, activating and deactivating forms, and form preview (HTML & PDF).
- Advanced Search: The advanced search pod is initially hidden to provide more space for the form listing area, and can be expanded by clicking on the pod.
- Form Listing Area: This area lists down all the applications/ folder / forms and images. A user can select the Forms button in Action bar to show only Forms (hiding the folders and images).
- Options Widget: The options widget provides information about the user logged in, and admin options to perform on demand synchronization/scheduling.
For more information on the exciting new features introduced in Adobe LiveCycle ES4 refer to the LiveCycle ES4 documentation link: What’s new in Adobe LiveCycle ES4 . For more information on Forms Manager Introduction to Forms Manager