Recently Approved

Comments (62)

Created

September 17, 2006

Acrobat 8 Announced!

Well… I’m sure you’ve heard by now… Adobe announced Acrobat 8 today. The Acrobat Family includes:

• Acrobat 3D version 8
  • Acrobat 8 Professional
  • Acrobat 8 Standard
  • Acrobat 8 Elements
  • Adobe Reader 8
  • Acrobat Connect Professional
  • Acrobat Connect
  • You might think – what is Acrobat Connect/Connect Professional? We’re rebranding our Macromedia Breeze line of products. We have a brand new offering – Acrobat Connect – which is a personal meeting room, and Breeze Meeting is now Acrobat Connect Professional.

Most of the reason I’ve been very quiet this summer is a result of my world-wide tour to educate our Adobe sales teams on these products. 18 cities and 460 attendees later, I’m ready for a vacation!

However, back to today’s announcement. So… where do you learn more about what’s there?

• You could start with Adobe.com- you’ll find everything about the products and the re-branding. And check out the new experience site. Kudos to our Experience Design team (inherited from Macromedia) – this is a really COOL SITE!
  • You could move on to AcrobatUsers.com – we’ve updated the website; added lots of new information on Acrobat 8 and all of the bloggers have something to say as well.
  • You could attend one of the 14 eSeminars or 5 North American city tours or listen to a podcast. See www.adobe.com/go/acrobat8events for details.
  • For our Acrobat Developers… there are 6 live events, where our new PDF Technical Evangelist, Joel Geraci, will be running workshops on what’s new and what’s changed with Acrobat & PDF for our developer audience. The first one will be October 3rd in Washington DC – registration is via AcrobatUsers.com
    The additional 5 cities are part of our North American tour.

And last but not least, I’ll be hosting 3 live Acrobat Connect Professional meetings tomorrow (Tuesday, September 19th) to discuss Acrobat 8 with our user community. I’ll have guest speakers from the PDF community – Ted Padova, Leonard Rosenthol, Duff Johnson, and Thom Parker – each discussing the new product offering. No registration required.

Well.. that’s it for today… More tomorrow!

COMMENTS

• By Andre Da Costa - 2:10 AM on September 18, 2006

You guys are coming from a far,just the other day, I was on my old Zenith GT Workstation running Windows 95 which has Acrobat Reader 3 installed.

Remember to check out the splash screen section for Acrobat at the following site http://www.guidebookgallery.org/site/history

Congrats on the release.

• By John Welch - 7:52 AM on September 18, 2006

How much of Acrobat 8 is Windows only? Because from what I’m seeing, there’s not a lot of reason to upgrade anyone if the imbalance that existed in 7 is the same or worse.

Has the UI horrorshow that the Safar plugin/office integration was in 7 been fixed in 8? So that way, I can tell Acrobat to stop physically modifying Safari, and it really will, without me having to hack the application bundle? Better yet, does 8 no longer require physically modifying the application bundle?

Do the office plugins do more than save steps me just manually printing to the Acrobat 7 printer from Office 2004? It would be nice if they did. Even just feature parity with the Mac version of Design would be a HUGE upgrade from the “one button print to file” that Macro currently is.

In other words…please…market to me. Tell me, a mixed mode IT administrator, why I should spend money on an upgrade that for a large number of my users, is nothing more than a new UI and new PDF version. Show me that I’m wrong. Please.

• By Lori DeFurio - 9:37 AM on September 18, 2006

John makes some interesting points. Let me address them:

None of the new features of Acrobat 8 Professional are Windows only. (OK – except one – Converting Lotus Notes emails to PDF). Yes, there were some inconsistencies between platforms in Acrobat 7 but this is not the situation for Acrobat 8.
      Additionally, Acrobat 8 on MAC is much faster than earlier versions and Acrobat 8 is Intel native/Universal.

As far as the Safari browser on MAC — I’m not sure what you’re referring to here… but Safari integration is totally revamped for Acrobat 8…it is much cleaner & faster. There is no need to modify anything – just install and it works.

So, the bottom line – if the new functionality isn’t required or desired by your users – don’t upgrade. If they are still on PPC machines – upgrading might not make sense. But I think that you’ll find that your users (Mac and Win) will want Acrobat 8 Professional based on the improved performance and enhanced functionality.

• By John Welch - 10:59 AM on September 18, 2006

Lori, I’m glad to hear 8 is universal. That’s not shown up in any of the PR.

However, there are a few things that I see which concern me, such as this, from http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/productinfo/features/

“Capture web pages as Adobe PDF files
      Convert web pages to Adobe PDF documents to easily print, archive, mark up, or share. (Windows only)”

Now, I can do that NOW in Acrobat 7. Does this mean that Mac users lose this feature in 8? if so, that’s a step backwards. if not, someone should perhaps make that more clear.

Now, I didn’t know you could do this in 7 reader at all, (which if so, would be yet another example of how Acrobat simply is not effectively marketed to the Mac community) but either way, why is this a Windows only feature?

Acrobat 3D is still relying on Direct X and is still Windows – only. Even more odd is the fact that the 3D capture utility runs on Solaris, Irix, HP-UX and AIX, (on PowerPC even), but not OS X?

Designer is still Windows only, and from what I can see, will remain that way permanently. The argument can be made that there’s no market for Designer in the Mac user population, but on the other hand, how many Mac Acrobat users know what it is? When they see “Windows only”, they stop caring, because it’s not something they’re able to care about.

On the Safari thing, that’s an issue with the UI for Acrobat and how it deals with plugins. Ask anyone on the Mac Sysadmin lists about how well “just say no” works with either the Safari or Office plugins. You can say “Stop doing this” but eventually, you have to go in and hack the proper XML files in the Acrobat bundle and in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/ to get it to stop pushing the plugin or the Office Macros out. In addition, if your company has standardized on Firefox, (for which there are quite a few good reasons to do so), then you have…well nothing other than third party plugins on the Mac side, because the plugin is not a “browser” plugin, it’s a Safari plugin. That’s more of an issue than you may think.

On the Office side of things, the Mac Office Macros have, for years, and three versions of Office been nothing but a one button version of what you get in the print to file dialogs. I get that there are some limitations in Office:Mac that prevent complete feature parity in that area. (there are workarounds, but they’re pretty hacktacular so relying on them may not be a good idea.) However, it’s pretty odd that InDesign has better Word import abilities than Acrobat, in that it at least can properly handle URLs in Word files, whereas all Acrobat can do is a big, literally “dumb” print to file. I don’t think anyone at Adobe has any clue as to how many licenses of Acrobat better Office macros *alone* could sell on the Mac side.

But from a marketing POV, whether you mean to or not, the message is, “If you really want the power of Acrobat, use Windows. The Mac applicaiton is there, but don’t expect much out of it than the minimum.” I’ve been told point blank by Adobe people that the solution on the Mac is to run Crossover Office and the Windows version. That’s not good marketing on any level, because what is says is “Our mac users don’t count”. Okay. That may indeed be the Acrobat team’s view of things.

But when you don’t tell people about what Acrobat can do beyond PDF creation, when you come out with two full versions that are boggy, slow, and have a poor UI, (WHY must Acrobat COMPLETELY take over the monitor it’s launched on? I know Windows users run every window maximized, but Mac != Windows with a funny UI mod), a plugin that takes five updates to fix a security hole that it creates, and only works with one browser that it has to physcially modify to do so, and the Office addins are slow, and add no real functionaltiy, well, is it any surprise that people running Mac OS X are not running out to buy it? Adobe has *not* done a great job of laying out the reasons for doing so. It seems that you all just gave up on even trying when OS X came out.

Heck if Acrobat 8 can create PDF from XML, that would be huge on the Mac side, since XML is rapidly becoming the default format for most applications. I know a lot of people who would love to create PDFs from XML, but as far as I can tell, that’s not possible, which makes no sense at all.

Sorry about the length, but you’re one of about two Acrobat people who are even *listening* to anything from the Mac community. That’s not real good either from a corporate POV, but you get mad credit in my book for it. (it makes me ask, does Adobe even have evangelists talking to the Mac community? From what I’ve seen the answer would seem to be “no”)

• By Lori DeFurio - 11:50 AM on September 18, 2006

THIS IS A MISTAKE THAT I WILL GET CORRECTED TODAY. The new form field recognizer works on both Mac and Windows. The ability to add “rights” to a PDF form so that users of free Adobe Reader versions 7 and 8 can fill and save locally, and add digital signatures is cross-platform. (The only part of forms that is not cross-platform is Adobe LiveCycle Designer)

3. Acrobat 3D – again, you were asking about new features/functionality. Acrobat 3D will continue to be a windows only product.

4. Adobe LiveCycle Designer – again, not a new offering, and continues to be a Windows application.

5. Safari plug-in issue. I’m sorry to say, I’ve not heard any of these complaints, however, I will forward your concerns to our engineering team.

7. Rest of issues (Marketing). Acrobat Product Management has a Product Manager dedicated to Acrobat on MAC OS. Creative Suite Product Management has a Product Manager dedicated to Acrobat as part of the Creative Suite. We are not ignoring the Mac user – we are working within the constraints of the OS (thank you Apple) and the applications (thank you Microsoft). The majority of our Acrobat users on Mac are creative professionals. Therefore we continue to ensure that the workflows and functionality required for a creative professional are improved and enhanced.

Also launched today is Creative Suite 2.3 – which has excellent integration with Acrobat 8. There are 96 new pre-flight profiles, the ability to print a booklet, the ability to create a JDF package, and so on. Adobe has not abandoned the Mac user at all!

And thank you for your comments.

• By John Welch - 2:14 PM on September 18, 2006

“1. WebCapture – this is not a new feature. No changes between Acrobat 7 and Acrobat 8. It works in IE on Windows only.”

Okay…but I think we’re talking about two different things then, because I have Web Capture in my copy of Acrobat 7 on Mac OS X. That’s what I’m referring to…what feature are you speaking of?

“2. “Automatically locate form fields in static PDF documents and convert them to interactive fields that can be filled electronically by anyone using free Adobe Reader software*. (Windows only)”
      THIS IS A MISTAKE THAT I WILL GET CORRECTED TODAY.”

Oh excellent.

“again, you were asking about new features/functionality.”

Well, partially, but i was also trying to find out what my options are for better forms creation through Acrobat. The answer is “what they were in Acrobat 7″, which, while not what I would prefer is an answer I can deal with. It does mean that Adobe isn’t going to be much of a consideration for large scale PDF workflow beyond the desktop though, at least not for me.

“6. PDFMaker for MS Office. The biggest problem we (Adobe) have is that Microsoft does not offer APIs on Mac with the same robustness as Windows. Therefore, since there is nothing to “hook” into, our hands are tied. We would love to have our PDFMaker on Mac have the rich features offered on Windows. Feel free to send a note to Microsoft to encourage them to have parity in their APIs for developers, like Adobe.”

Oh I’m VERY aware that this is a problem that requires two groups to completely solve, and I’m in contact with the Mac BU folks rather a lot. I’ve been requesting that improvement for quite some time. But, while you can’t provide *full* feature parity, there are areas where you can provide improvement, as InDesign has shown with the improvement it provided in its Word import. Not every problem has to be completely solved in every version, but progress, when there are clear examples of it in other CS suite applications, is always appreciated.

On the Marketing side, I wasn’t questioning the existence of Mac marketing people in the Acrobat org chart, but rather pointing out that the message of “Why you should buy Acrobat” on the Mac side is not getting out in the way, or at the level you may want.

(Oh, one minor nit, but it’s one that may trip you up when talking to Mac people…MAC is either an acronym for Media Access Control, or the name of a high end women’s cosmetic boutique chain. “Mac” is the correct spelling of the computer.)

Thanks for listening, it’s nice.

• By Brandon Lee - 3:36 PM on September 18, 2006

As the director of an IT department at a large corporation, I understand for Adobe to not want to spend excess funds in porting non-essential programs to the Macintosh.

However as a director of the IT department I also understand how much of a problem and hassle the Adobe Acrobat system can be because of major incompatibilities. Digital Forms are obviously crucial to Adobe’s future growth prospect and Acrobat is the tool it is using. But watching actual users first-hand, makes realize how much of a pain Adobe makes it and its intentional.

Most creative professionals create their works on the Mac platform in the company I work for and others. And having users create, then Print to PDF then finally export the PDF file to a Windows computer to convert to forms IS SUCH A HUGE WASTE OF TIME!! and makes it very inefficient. It doesn’t make sense and its also bad business practice to ignore your customers. Adobe is ignoring its customers and also placing an undue burden on its customers by not listening to its customers needs. It is quite clear that a huge portion of Acrobat users would be more productive and efficient if LiveCycle Designer was also on the Mac platform – the platform where the original shell/template is designed.

I personal feeling is that Adobe is not at fault for not incorporating Acrobat 3D, and more robust MS Office extensions on the Mac platform. But Adobe should port LiveCycle to the Mac platform it truly wants to capture the digital form market and to listen to its customers. From my experience, Mac customers tend to be the most loyal customer base. Adobe should not take its customer base for granted.

• By Brandon Lee - 3:37 PM on September 18, 2006

• By Matt - 10:28 AM on September 19, 2006

Can you clarify:
      “The ability to add “rights” to a PDF form so that users of free Adobe Reader versions 7 and 8 can fill and save locally, and add digital signatures is cross-platform. (The only part of forms that is not cross-platform is Adobe LiveCycle Designer)”

Are you saying 8 will allow creation of rights enabled PDFs? Without the LiveCycle server extension that now cost $20k-100k?

• By 42 - 11:07 AM on September 19, 2006

The mail-to-PDF only works for Lotus Notes in Windows? Notes is cross-platform and I use it on both. This would be a very nice feature for both sides.

Maybe it only works with Notes 7 which isn’t yet available on OS X?

• By Chris Saldanha - 12:31 PM on September 19, 2006

Regarding Office (Word) integration — what are the major differences between Acrobat for Windows and Mac? I’ve been wanting to switch our document production to Mac, but we depend on the PDF-maker support for Windows Office, to do things like make a bookmark set out of Word’s headings, and customize the compression and so forth. Your remarks above make it sound like not all is the same in Word for Mac…

If only there was a try-out for Mac!

Thanks!

• By John Welch - 2:47 PM on September 19, 2006

The Office Macros on Mac OS X are a one – click print to file. No structure is preserved. So they enhance nothing, and indeed, cause rather large delays in launching Office applications, all in the name of creating what is literally a “dumb” print to file.

There’s nothing to be gained from them unless the print dialog is a huge inconvenience.

• By Matt - 12:59 PM on September 21, 2006

I was planning to buy the standard version for Mac. I need this occasionally to produce PDFs of pre-press quality. The quality of Mac OS’s PDFs is not good enough for this purpose. So, can I harbour the hope that Acrobat 8 Standard for Mac will come sometime later, even next year I.e. has Adobe adopted a release policy similar to that of Photoshop Elements for Mac that has a different release date than the Windows version. Or should I get a copy of version 7 now while it is still available?
      Matt

• By Pieter - 6:11 AM on September 22, 2006

So, if Adobe Reader 8 is out, where can I get it? Is the reader universal too?

How about the Breeze / Connect plug-in, is that universal? Will the new plugin work with sites that still use Breeze?

• By Andy King - 3:28 PM on September 25, 2006

Lori,

Hi, I reviewed Acrobat 8 Pro (pre-release) here at:

Acrobat 8 Pro Review

Here is the blurb:

We review Adobe’s new Acrobat 8 Professional (pre-release)
      for performance against PDF Enhancer 3.1. The new Acrobat
      features faster operations, smaller PDFs, a new interface,
      and the ability to combine different types of files into one PDF.

• By Ralph Calderwood - 12:00 PM on October 3, 2006

After reading all this I still don’t know the answer to one question.
      On a MAC with System 10.4, in Acrobat 8 can I create an interactive PDF form that can be filled out and SAVED by Acrobat Reader?

• By Simone B - 9:49 AM on October 9, 2006

Do you know if custom metadata fields can be viewed in Adobe Reader 8. In version 7 and under these can only be viewed in the professional versions.

• By James Lee - 5:07 AM on October 27, 2006

Hi! Back in the days of Acrobat 7 Pro, Adobe LiveCycle Designer was bundled together. In this version 8 Pro, Is LiveCycle Designer there as well? Is is the same version as the previous version of LiveCycle? Or must I buy separately?

Thanks for reading!

• By Lori DeFurio - 9:25 AM on October 27, 2006

Acrobat 8 Professional (Windows) will include Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.

• By Cathryn-Jane Easthope - 9:56 AM on November 6, 2006

Hi Lori.

I went to one of the launch events for 8 for my University and was majorly upset at the Acrobat features which (yet again) were Windows only. The identification of form fields in scanned documents and the subsequent creation of the corresponding PDF form is the main issue for me. Why should I have to buy the Windows version in addition to the Mac version just to get this functionality?

Thanks,

Cathy.

• By Grant - 12:54 PM on November 13, 2006

Having just taken delivery of both a new Mac Pro and a new MacBook Pro, I was excited to upgrade from Acrobat 6 Standard to the new Acrobat 8 Standard.

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered that Acrobat 8 Standard is not available for the Mac. Why is Adobe insisting that I pay $60 more for an upgrade to Acrobat 8 Professional for features I will never, ever
      use?

Adobe does realize that the Mac OS X built-in PDF generation capabilities are completely sub-standard from a quality perspective and
      that there IS room for a mid-range PDF generation capability that is Acrobat Standard?

• By Brett Gaspers - 12:53 PM on November 28, 2006

Hi Lori:

You still haven’t answered Matt’s question above: When will we get Acrobat 8 STANDARD for the Mac?

Some of us don’t need all the features of Professional and I think it is really obnoxious of Adobe to charge us a “Mac tax” by making us upgrade to Professional whether we need it or not. I find it hard to believe that removing features for the Standard version is all that difficult.

• By Lori DeFurio - 7:21 PM on December 3, 2006

Brett/Matt and others,

I’m sorry you were disappointed that there is no upgrade from A6 -> A8 for Acrobat Standard.

Based on feedback from our customers (we surveyed tons of Mac users), it was clear that our customers (as a whole) didn’t want the Standard version. Most actually purchase Acrobat 8 as part of the Creative Suite bundle, so they get Acrobat Professional as part of the suite.

There are no plans to release Acrobat 8 Standard on Macintosh. I checked the pricing and the difference I believe is $60 between the cost to upgrade to Acrobat 8 Standard (on Win) and Acrobat 8 Pro (either platform).

There is quite a bit of new functionality – 60+ new preflight options; ability to find and fix problems in preflight; ability to print booklets; automatically create PDF/X and PDF/A compliant PDFs; automatic form field recognition (if you need to create forms); and the ability to create a review workflow or a data collection workflow – and let customers or co-workers with Adobe Reader actually participate in that process.

I do hope you upgrade to Acrobat 8 Pro. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

• By DB - 9:20 PM on December 6, 2006

I just downloaded Reader 8 for Mac OS X 10.4. I use Firefox 2.0 as my primary browser. Is there any way I can view PDF’s within the browser window like I can in Safari? i.e. Can I use the plugin for Safari with Firefox?

• By Andy R - 10:54 AM on December 9, 2006

I see complaints regarding the Mac tax, but be thankful you don’t live in the UK. Our upgrade price is £163 (i.e. almost double the US price).

• By Brett Gaspers - 5:44 PM on December 14, 2006

Hi Lori:

Thanks for getting back to us on that. The blog feedback to users is much better than what big software companies have communicated to us in the past.

While I respect Adobe’s right to put out whatever versions they want, I think it is a little disingenuous to say you surveyed your users and they didn’t want Standard, yet you offer a Standard version on Windows. So you surveyed your Windows users and they DID want a Standard version?

As regards the CS bundle, well, that is an excellent example of why the federal government frowns on bundling. In traditional bundling, a manufacturer includes a product the customer doesn’t want along with a product the customer does want and forces the customer to buy both to get the desired product. In this case, Adobe is introducing a twist by saying that since CS purchasers get Acrobat Professional free, non-CS buyers (or I should say, Mac users) should have to buy it (at a higher price) so Adobe doesn’t have to bother making and supporting a different version. Perhaps the FTC would be interested in hearing about this?

Personally, I don’t need any of the Professional features you mention above, so Adobe is just hoping to get an extra $60 from me.

• By Michael - 4:46 PM on December 28, 2006

I just upgraded a slew of users from OS9 to Tiger (with new Intel Macs) — they were using Paperport for forms on scans. Since that is not available anymore on the Mac, I suggested Acrobat Standard. Lo and behold, no Standard. At an additional $200 a seat (since we aren’t upgrading), Adobe is now losing a substantial sale. As well, I talked to sales and they were not able to make any kind of concessions.

• By maverick - 3:51 AM on January 9, 2007

hi all,i gt a small problem i have acrobat 8 proffessional which was wrking perfectly fine some days ago.bt now suddenly when ever i open acrobat proffessional it terminates the pdf opened and shuts itself down any suggestions??

• By mark - 6:47 AM on January 24, 2007

I have the same problem as maverick – Acrobat 8 pro shuts itself down couple of seconds after a pdf is opened. Does anybody know how to fix this?

• By Tommy - 4:08 PM on February 1, 2007

I am having the same problem as Mark and Mav…This problem has been occuring since V8 was released…I have not been able to use it. I have to go to another machine with V7 on it. Adobe should be addressing this by now!!!!

• By Eli - 12:52 PM on February 9, 2007

My company is wanting to use acrobat connect for 9 graphic designers to edit customers proofs and products online without sending proofs back and forth. We downloaded a trial and the connect add-in crashes every single time. We are using Intel Macs with Xeon processors. I have tried everything from running Safari and Firefox in Rosetta to using older versions of them. I contacted Adobe and they give me the run around. This program is exactly what we need but the screen sharing doesn’t work which makes it useless. A lot of other users have emailed me with the same problem. If Adobe is going to say that it works on a Intel mac then make sure it does!!!!

• By Ole - 5:18 AM on February 20, 2007

It runs fine on my Macbook Pro –
      only trouble was to get my webcam working – but that’s fixed.

• By Tom - 4:41 AM on February 22, 2007

Same Problem – Acrobat 8 always shuts it self down after i opend a pdf. tried to reinstall but the same problem still occurs. i don’t know what to do. probably go back to acrobat 7…

• By Eli - 8:31 AM on February 26, 2007

Well I need to say I’m sorry. After trying everything on my MacPro I went to a co-workers and it worked fine. So after trying everything even stringing a network cable from her office to mine I found that for some reason I had a bunch of folders in my macromedia flash player preferences folder that she didn’t have. I replaced mine with hers now it works great. I’m not sure what those folders were or were they came from, but they must have been the problem because it’s running fine now.

• By justin - 9:24 AM on March 6, 2007

I am having the same problem with a8 shutting down 5-10 sec after it is launched or a pdf is opened? is there a fix for this?

• By Al Currano - 3:52 PM on March 11, 2007

I just upgraded to Adeboe Reader 8 on my iMac G5 running Mac OS X 4.8. Now I can no longer read pdf files from the Safari browser. I get the following error message: “Unable to Load Plug-In; The page “http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/pdfs/reader_user_guide.pdf” attempted to load an Internet plug-in named “Adobe Acrobat and Reader Plug-in”, but the plug-in failed to load successfully.”

Can you tell me how to fix this problem? I searched the Adobe site to no avail.

• By Bill - 4:52 PM on March 14, 2007

Justin—
      For Acrobat crash on startup:

• By Chuck - 1:52 PM on March 21, 2007

The solution provided here for resolving acro 8 crashes applies to Macs only. I’m running XP and have the same problem. Any advice?

• By Mir - 6:06 PM on March 22, 2007

Yes, I can’t keep Acrobat 8 open for more than a couple seconds in XP. It is completely useless. Help!

• By Darin - 11:54 AM on March 31, 2007

I’m also finding Acrobat 8 on XP crashes afer a few seconds. My initial install worked great but now I can’t do anything!

• By Shaun - 10:06 PM on March 31, 2007

I’m having the same problem with Acrobat 8 shutting itself down as well. I’m using Windows Vista & the program won’t stay open longer than a few seconds. Please help.

• By Stefan - 1:05 AM on April 5, 2007

Same problem with me. Acrobat 8.0 Pro shuts itself down a few seconds after being opened on an XP Pro platform. I tried opening the Acrobat directly, then from a PDF file on the hard drive and also from within IE 7. They all result in the program shutting itself down after about 7 seconds… I have installed this program for a few months now, but the problem first appeared yesterdsy out of the blue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• By Mike - 4:42 PM on April 9, 2007

Same problem as the guys above… Adobe, you need to get on the ball with Acrobat… It’s horribly buggy and at this point, you made yourself the big cats on the block, now start taking care of bugs that have been in the past 3 versions (including 8) like random shut downs, or the pdf print driver not installing properly on default systems…

Getting very sick kof random closes and bugs in the Adobe family, albeit Macromedia apps seemed unscaved.

Sorry, I know this isn’t a place to rant, but this is a prime example of my annoyance…

Plenty to say when selling the product, NOTHING to say when the product doesn’t work how it is promised to us by the company…

Adobe is slacking and a lot of people are getting quite sick of it. Yay for new features, but increase stability and stop having programs share the same memory files, etc.

No reason that Acrobat 8 should just stop working… on a clean install at least.

Besides that, when Acrobat somehow works on my other computers that are running Vista, love the updated gui, even if the IT manager isn’t a huge fan :)

• By Rob Lee - 7:55 AM on April 11, 2007

I ran into the same problem this morning, when I really needed it to work. It did manage to stay open long enough for me to disable the auto update (using xp) but it did not seem to help. My windows did update last night, wonder if that was it. I will try to do a restore to a point where adobe worked last week and try to narrow the problem down to maybe a specific update.

• By Lori DeFurio - 3:23 PM on April 12, 2007

I’ve reached out to Acrobat Engineering about your problems with Acrobat 8 quitting automatically. It may have something to do with ALM (Adobe License Manager). They are asking me questions that I must ask you:
      1. Do you know whether any of these users successfully activated Acrobat on the machines in question?
      2. If we could get the serial numbers being used by these users we could verify them with the ALM server to see if any issues exist there.
      If you are willing to send me this information directly (lori@adobe.com) I will follow up with each of you directly.

• By Nick Barling - 6:05 PM on April 14, 2007

Acrobat 8 Professional fails to successfully embed .mov (or Flash .swf containing .flv file) Quicktime movies into pdf.

I have embedded a .mov video into a pdf (built from InDesign) using Acrobat 8 Professional. I have also used the button feature to build play and stop buttons. The video plays well in Firefox, Win IE v6 and v7 on PC platforms but fails to play in mac (OS X 10.4.9) Safari (v2.0.4). Is this a know problem can anyone offer an explanation or help.

Thanks.

• By Cyryl - 12:57 AM on April 19, 2007

What’s DAMN hilarious about this is that 90% of you IDIOTS are conveniently leaving out the fact that you’re knowledgeably using a HACKED VERSION. That’s right. PIRATED. By YOURSELF or SOMEONE YOU KNOW.

Idiots.

• By WhosAnIdiot - 7:16 PM on April 19, 2007

I will not buy acrobat reader to read stuff. It’s not our problem that a simple reader costs money. So many important things are written with acrobat reader, and i do not understand why, but i will certainly never buy acrobat reader. I only buy things like Photoshop, and other useful tools.

• By WhosAnIdiot - 7:23 PM on April 19, 2007

I can’t understand why you people are using acrobat reader? Thare are so many other PDF readers out there? Never uset acrobat, and never will.
      It’s like Microsoft Office and Open Office. Open Office is free :)

• By Allister - 3:06 PM on April 22, 2007

Hi All,

I am a Mac user and I am getting the problem of when I start Acrobat 8 it then crashes giving you the option of clicking only OK wereapon it closes down. This happens if you open it alone, open an existing PDF and even if you do have another suite application open.

It only seems to happen in CS3 and NOT in CS2 both using acrobat 8.

I tried the fix:-

Bill — 04:52 PM on March 14, 2007
      Justin—
      For Acrobat crash on startup:

Thanks for this but I tried it and it does not work.

The plot thickens :-)

• By Badger - 8:21 AM on May 10, 2007

WhosAnIdiot obviously selected the right Name tag: someone tell him that Reader is free and nothing gets written with it.

• By Carrie Meyers - 1:43 PM on May 14, 2007

RE: Bill (Acrobat crash on startup) – March 14, 2007

Finally, a solution that worked for me! I’ve been waiting for an Acrobat 8 patch to solve this, but this seems to do the trick Disable the Updater.acroplugin (find Adobe Acrobat Professional.app inside the Acrobat folder, select it and Get Info, open the Plug-ins section of the Get Info window, and uncheck Updater.acroplugin).

Thanks!

• By Tim Quinn - 3:07 PM on June 16, 2007

I am having the same issues with Safari.

I just reinstalled safari 2.0 and reader 8.

I can’t view PDF’s in the browser anymore. All I get is the Adobe erader icon in the middle of the page.

Any solutions out there?

• By Brad - 3:21 PM on July 15, 2007

In the last 4 months, we have Ghosted out 171 workstations in 4 countries with Acobat Pro 8 installed. Now we are getting the Acrobat Updater popping up and asking to be updated. The users do not have admin rights to run this. We want to be able to push a registry setting or something to all the workstations simultaneously to disable the Updater. Obviously, we don’t want to have to revisit 171 workstations to run updates or to reinstall with some transform tool. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• By Adrian Sweeney - 8:44 AM on August 15, 2007

Hi,

I’ve just written a CD bible program that allows the searching across multiple PDF’s for clients but we have found that if we search with Acrobat 8 reader installed the browser IE throws an error about the resource being blocked. But this doesn’t happen with Acrobat 7.

It seems to be a combination of security policy and Acrobat 8 as the issue seems to be with opening pdfs with file:///e:/index.pdf via IE but using e:/index.pdf works.

is there anywhere that I can see a list of all changes to acrobat since version 7.

Thanks

Adrian Sweeney
      Web Applications Developer

• By Keith - 11:48 PM on August 24, 2007

Lori:

Any cure for the Adobe Professional 8 issue yet? I am still running into the same problems of it not staying open. I bought the upgrade version and installed it on my machine several months back and it worked fine up until about a week ago.

• By SAK - 5:48 AM on August 30, 2007

Reference to Carrie Meyers blog — 01:43 PM on May 14, 2007, can you please guide me in an easier way, how do I get to this get info in my XP pro, I cant seem to get to this window inside the Acrobat folder.

• By Lori DeFurio - 3:55 PM on September 3, 2007

SAK – Carrie’s instructions are for a Macintosh computer. For a PC, go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\plug_ins and move Updater.api to a different folder.

• By FF - 10:53 PM on September 30, 2007

Acrobat Reader 8 is very slow. Finally got frustrated and looked out for other alternatives. Foxit Reader Rocks!

Cheers.

[[I’m sorry to hear that the extensive functionality available in Adobe Reader was not useful to you. Remember, that there are many, many PDFs that will not behave as intended in alternative PDF reading technology. If you are a document author, always test your documents so that your customers/readers will achieve the experience you intend]]

• By James Ford - 10:15 AM on November 11, 2007

Bill…Thank you sooo very much. Your tip from March 2007 saved me from the Acrobat shut down problem I was experiencing with Leopard. I sat through lengthy uninstall and re-installation processes and almost gave up. Your solution was quick and simple. Thanks again! – James

• By James Ford - 10:15 AM on November 11, 2007

• By Bob Bruce - 5:57 PM on December 3, 2007

I use Acrobat 8.1 Standard with Windows Vista. I also regularly use Microsoft Speech Recognition. Now, whenever I open a PDF file the accessibility dialogs pop-up trying to prepare the PDF for accessibility. (This happens on Reader too)

I do not need nor want accessibility features in the PDFs I read. I have searched support and help for ways to disable this feature to no avail.

I understand that many people need these feaures and Adobe is to be commended for providing them, but WHY CAN’T I TURN THEM OFF. It is very annoying.