Recently Approved

Comments (46)

Created

June 5, 2007

ANNOUNCEMENT: Acrobat 8.1 available today

As of today, an update to Acrobat 8, upgrading Acrobat 8 to Acrobat 8.1 (Professional & Standard) is available via Adobe Updater (in Acrobat). A download on Adobe.com will be available later this month (I’ll update you when it is live)

The 8.1 release works with Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Vista. Both PDF as a file format and Acrobat as an application are now “first class” citizens in these environments.

In Office 2007 – we are conforming to the new ribbon UI and are fully integrated. (Figure 1)

a81_image1.jpg

Figure 1. Acrobat Ribbon in Microsoft Word 2007

In MSFT Vista – PDF will preview similar to other supported file formats, and of course, you can create PDF by simply right clicking on supported file formats (Word, Excel, PPT, JPG, etc.) (Figure 2)

a81_image2.jpg

Figure 2. Right-click on any supported application in Microsoft Vista to create Adobe PDF.

My favorite integration with Office 2007 is with Outlook 2007. Now, when you open an email message in preview mode that has a PDF attachment – you see the PDF in the preview pane. You can view full page, or page width, and even navigate multi-page files. (Figure 3)

a81_image3.jpg

Figure 3. PDF Preview in Outlook 2007.

Also – at the request of our customer base, we’re supporting 64-bit Citrix and Windows environments. Acrobat is still a 32-bit application, but for folks running 64-bit Citrix environments, or who load Acrobat on a 64-bit Windows system, Acrobat will work as advertised.

For additional information, I recommend you review http://www.adobe.com/acrobat and http://www.acrobatusers.com/ for articles and tips from our contributors on the updates in Acrobat 8.1.

Adobe Reader 8.1 is also available today.

UPDATE – JULY 6

As of today – the trial version of Acrobat is now Acrobat 8.1 (http://www.adobe.com/tryacrobat). Additionally, when a customer buys Acrobat at the Adobe.com store, or receives Acrobat via licensing from their resellers, it will be Acrobat 8.1

COMMENTS

• By John Welch - 7:27 AM on June 5, 2007

Any improvements on the Mac side?

• By Steve Werner - 9:21 AM on June 5, 2007

It’s not there yet in Updates as of 6:20 AM Pacific time.

• By Laurence Salerno - 3:45 PM on June 5, 2007

Lori:

This update sounds like it is even better than what I was expecting! Really happy to see that Acrobat now supports Vista 64-bit – not having it available really had me scrambling.

Congratulations to you and the team for getting this out.

• By Lori DeFurio - 5:23 AM on June 6, 2007

The downloads are now available on Adobe.com:
    Windows – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3661
    Mac – http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3662

Also – there is a tech note.

• By Lori DeFurio - 5:26 AM on June 6, 2007

I jumped the gun yesterday. I posted before the updater was working 100% around the world. As of now, both the Mac and Win updaters are working as advertised and as I mentioned the downloads are also posted.

• By Lori DeFurio - 5:31 AM on June 6, 2007

On the Mac side….
    I’m very happy to announce that Flash (SWF) will now play in Acrobat (and Reader) without using QuickTime player. We’ve added support for Bridgetalk 2 (used in CS3) with InDesign, and a bunch of bugs were fixed as well.

• By Steven Dayton - 11:38 AM on June 6, 2007

The Adobe Updater didn’t work. Got an error. But the provided here did work.

I really like Acrobat 8. Thanks for the update.

• By Michael - 4:38 PM on June 6, 2007

Blue Screen Crash.

I have tried to add the update twice and each time it managed to have a fatal error and then go to blue screen when I am in reboot. I have completely uninstalled. NOw I am uninstalling again, and then NOT doing the update. At least for now.

• By John Welch - 12:10 AM on June 7, 2007

Now all you have to do is start packaging Acrobat Mac in a way that doesn’t make sysadmins hate you.

Seriously, installing Acrobat on more than 1-3 machines is just too friggin’ painful.

• By marliton - 10:23 AM on June 7, 2007

This update fixes a problem when inserts some files .swf, especially if has buttons or interactive menus.

• By Lori DeFurio - 7:49 PM on June 14, 2007

Additional Acrobat 8.1 updates are now posted on Adobe.com

For European and Latin American languages (Italian, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Brazilian Portuguese):
    Windows version
    Macintosh version

For Asian languages (Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Japanese, and Korean):
    Windows version
    Macintosh version

If you need details about what is in the release – please see the technical note.

• By shahid - 6:56 PM on June 16, 2007

can Acrobat 7.0.9 profession be upgrades to Acrobat 8.0 professional.

• By Lori DeFurio - 3:55 PM on June 18, 2007

Acrobat 7.0.9 can be upgraded to Acrobat 8, and then you can add the update to get to 8.1. You can buy the upgrade from your local reseller, or via Adobe.com – http://www.adobe.com/store. If you upgrade Acrobat 5 or AcrobatPro (6,7) or Std (6,7) to Pro (8) the price is $159 US.

• By Bob - 3:40 PM on June 22, 2007

Per Steven Dayton — 11:38 AM on June 06, 2007

“What were the bugs that were fixed? I am a bit disapointed that some of my plug-ins still don’t work smoothly.”

I ran the 8.1 update on windows, now Acrobat crashes each time it trys to load many different plugin. I had to uninstall most of them. Then only ones that work are third party ones like FusionProAcro8.api. checkers.api editors.api… caused Acrobat to crash.

— Bob V.

• By Erstwhile - 8:42 PM on June 30, 2007

It is worth noting that the “Fully functional PDF” and “Quick and simple PDF” radio buttons do not appear for those users running Acrobat 8.1 under Vista when they attempt to save Word documents as PDFs. Similarly, the “View result” checkbox is not available to these individuals.

Let’s hope that Adobe is quick to release a bugfix to these serious functionality deficits…

• By Lori DeFurio - 8:58 AM on July 1, 2007

Erstwhile – this just isn’t the case. I’ve attached a screen shot of Acrobat 8.1 running on Microsoft Vista with Microsoft Word 2007. Both the options (Fully Functional and Quick and Simple) are there along with the View Results check box. If you are having problems with Acrobat 8.1 on Vista – please give a call to Adobe Technical Support.

• By Lori DeFurio - 9:13 AM on July 1, 2007

Bob V.
    It is up to the plug-in vendors to test their solutions with Acrobat updates and then patch or redistribute as necessary. We had a very extensive beta program that was open to developers long before users were invited. I suggest you contact the 3rd party plug-in vendors to determine when they plan to update their technology to work with Acrobat 8.

• By Andorio - 10:40 AM on July 10, 2007

Hi, I got this error with the PDF Preview Handler:

This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer:
    PDF Preview Handler for Vista
    To open this file in its own program, double-click it.

No more error details are provided.
    Windows Vista x64 + Outlook 2007.
    I tried reinstalling 8.1 update, no success.
    Any clue?

• By M Palmer - 8:46 AM on July 11, 2007

I’m having a problem when trying to create a fully functional high-quality for print PDF with Word 2007 and acrobat 8.1 in Vista, the process gets half way through and then both the Word document and the creation process just close themselves, I’ve tried several times now (no error message). I can create a fully functional PDF at the default lower quality, but am unsure why I am having problems at the higher resolution.

• By Vedran Z. - 9:24 PM on July 17, 2007

I think that Bob V. has an oposite situation, Adobe plugins not working with Adobe product after updating. I have the same situation, and it looks like I’m not the only one. :-(

• By MH - 6:00 PM on July 18, 2007

We use Acrobat Professional 8.1 at school to manually print double-sided pages. To do this, we first print even pages only, in reverse order. Then we put the pages back in the feeder and print odd pages only, in forward (non-reversed) order.

With the 8.1 update, this feature is now broken. The even pages step prints out two copies of the earliest even page (i.e., page 2 in the PDF). The odd pages step fails to print the last page of the document.

Any idea on when this might get fixed?

• By Paul - 7:10 AM on July 24, 2007

Hi M Palmer – I’m experiencing exactly the same symptoms, using Acrobat 3D v8 (*i.e. v8.1) 30 day trial

OS is Win XP SP2 in my case. All Microsoft updates downloaded and applied.

Very odd.

• By Mike McGarry - 5:36 AM on July 28, 2007

I very recently purchased Acrobat Professional 8.0 inside the Adobe CS3 Web Premium suite. I updated to Acrobat Professional 8.1.0.

I am now convinced that Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0 Updated to 8.1.0. will not run on my new DELL 9200 VISTA ULTIMATE OS PC.

I purchased ADOBE software (CS3 WP & INDESIGN CS3) that according to the Box covers are both compatible with MS Windows Vista Ultimate OS.

I am convinced that until the Adobe Software engineers fix the compatibility issues of Acrobat Professional 8.0 with the Vista OS, Vista PC owners and users will remain totally stressed and frustrated with their Adobe software purchases.

I have spent A$ 1060 on new Adobe software for my new DELL Dimension 9200 Vista Ultimate OS PC.

Can I request a refund from Adobe as I cannot open a PDF with Acrobat Professional 8.1.0?

On the first installation of Adobe CS3 Web Premium, I received this error message: “Acrobat Professional 8.1.0 has stopped responding”.

I have been in phone and email contact with Adobe support. The issues with Acrobat Professional 8 and Windows Vista Ultimate OS remain unresolved.

I therefore now have to return to using Acrobat Professional 6.0.3., which does work on my XP Professional Notebook.

Would Adobe Acrobat 6.0.3. be compatible with Adobe CS3 WP and Adobe INDESIGN CS3 on my new DELL Vista PC?

• By Lori DeFurio - 3:58 PM on September 3, 2007

Mike McGarry – hope your issues are now resolved. If not please let me know and we can connect you with Engineers who have resolved these problems.

• By D Andersen - 6:42 PM on September 8, 2007

A customer using Vista is saying that when printed pdf files come out as many little square boxes? They have Acrobat Reader 8 installed on Vista. Is there something I am doing wrong or is it a problem with Reader or with Vista, and how can I resolve this issue?

[[Please make sure your customer is using 8.1, not 8. To confirm version select Help > About Acrobat Reader 8, and it should say 8.1.0 and if you click on the number (8.1.0) it will display the date – 4/17/2007.
    This is the version that is supported on Vista.]]

• By Lori DeFurio - 11:44 PM on September 11, 2007

Andorio – sorry for delay. We do not support 64-bit preview handler in Acrobat or Adobe Reader 8.

• By Lori DeFurio - 12:16 AM on September 12, 2007

M Palmer – sounds like a case for technical support or more details like 1) any log file produced, 2) exactly what joboptions were used, 3) whether it was PDFMaker (and which options within PDFMaker) or printing to the AdobePDF PostScript printer driver instance directly…

• By Crow - 4:31 AM on September 15, 2007

I am having the same problem as
    Mike McGarry #I receive these error messages, when I open a PDF with Acrobat 8.1.0, when logged on as the Administrator: “No valid Acrobat serial number found. Acrobat will now quit”,and “You have entered an invalid serial number. Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat 8 professional and enter in a valid serial number when asked.”
    OS VISTA ULTIMATE

• By JJF - 9:08 AM on September 18, 2007

Just from 8.0 standard to 8.1. I find that each time I try to insert pages get an error “Adobe Acrobat 8.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close.”
    OS Windows XP Professional 2002 Service pack 2.
    Can find no reference on relevant site. Wondering if this conflict unique to my OS?

JJF

• By LWAddict - 3:30 PM on October 25, 2007

Spent the last three days just trying to get the Creative Suite 3 to load properly on an XP system…simple right? Wrong.

Techs seem oblivious to the issues with Adobe Acrobat, despite the many websites covering the problems…least of which is thier very own site.

Glad this was my company’s money and not mine. I was about to pick up a few copies of the Suite for my own company but that’s simply not going to happen.

Still sad that they bought Macromedia…we used to love that product list. Now we’ll just forever run the last one they made.

• By Peter Gold - 12:11 PM on November 9, 2007

Hi, Lori:

I’m getting the invalid serial number error message in Acrobat 8 3D that I just installed with the Adobe Technical Communications Suite.

I previously had the beta release of the TCS installed, and Acrobat 8 3D ran fine, as well as FrameMaker 8, Captivate 3, and Robohelp HTML.

I uninstalled TCS and restarted the computer (Windows XP Home SP2) before installing the shipping version of the TCS. With the exception of Acrobat 8 3D, the shipping versions of the TCS products activate and operate without problems.

I’ve found suggested solutions for this problem, but they only refer to problems that result from previous installations of the Creative Suite 3, not the TCS.

I haven’t ever had the CS3 suite installed on this machine.

I do have InDesign CS3 shipping version installed.

Is there any information on the effects of running the CS3 clean-up script on Windows XP after uninstalling the TCS, in order to fix the problem? Do I need to also uninstall IDCS3 stand-alone version before running the clean-up script?

I’d really appreciate a reply based on known results, rather than someone’s guess and hopeful “that should work,” because of the long time it takes to uninstall and reinstall these products. In addition, it’s possible that trying untested procedures can cause damage that will require even more hours of backup, troubleshooting, and restoration.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Peter Gold
    KnowHow ProServices

• By Peter Gold - 12:38 PM on November 9, 2007

Hi, Lori:

I tried to post this once, but it failed.

I’m getting this message, “You have entered an invalid serial number. Please reinstall Adobe Acrobat 8 professional and enter in a valid serial number when asked.”

However, the fix for when the problem occurs due to CS3 installations doesn’t seem to apply to me.

I only have standalone InDesign CS3 installed, not the suite. I had the beta IDCS3 installed, and uninstalled it before installing the shipping version.

I also had the beta Technical Communications Suite (TCS) installed, which includes Acrobat 8 3D. I uninstalled it, restarted Windows XP SP2, then installed the shipping version of TCS, registered it, and authorized it.

With the exception of Acrobat 8 3D, the TCS applications run fine.

I’ve tried repairing the Acrobat 8 3D component of TCS, and also tried updating to 8.1.1, but no change in the message.

I’ve only found solutions for the invalid license problem that relate to CS3, not TCS.

Before I uninstall TCS, takes over an hour, and then run the CS3 cleanup script at level 2, I’d like to know if this procedure has been tested successfully. There’s far too much time and risk involved for me to step into the unknown on my sole machine.

The hopeful “that should work,” “no problems I can think of, you’ll be good to go,” and similar wishes aren’t sufficient.

Can you point me to something tested and successful that can help me fix the problem?

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Peter Gold
    KnowHow ProServices

• By Bola - 10:45 PM on November 15, 2007

***Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro ’serious error’ message in Windows Vista Ultimate requiring reinstallation***

After scouring the Internet for hours for a solution to this propblem, I finally arrived at a website where I found more or less the following instructions which I applied in roughly these stages:

1. I installed Adobe Acrobat 8 Reader
    2. I installed Acrobat 8 Pro restarting as required.
    3. I used either program’s ‘Update’ link in ‘Help’ to download/update to Acrobat 8.1 Pro
    4. Still using the ‘Update’ link, I downloaded a Windows Vista patch from the Adobe website (sorry, unable to recall the specific URL).
    5. Tried using Acrobat 8 Pro. I still got the ’serious error’ message and advise to reinstall so I closed the program.
    6. I navigated to my C: drive, then opened ‘Program files’, looked for Acrobat 8 Pro folder and found the ‘exe’ file for Acrobat 8.1 Pro.
    7. I right clicked on the ‘exe’ file then clicked ‘Properties’. Then looked for the link to ‘run the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP professional’ and checked the boxes.
    8. I closed properties, exit the folder, Program files and C: drive.
    9. upon launching Acrobat 8 Pro, It requested to be activated which i completed and it has worked since.
    10. Hopefully, i should have no further problems. If I do, Ill come back to let you know.

PS: “Please note i am not an IT professional and do not intend to have given any reader professional advice. neither is the above intended to be representations that following the steps will fix any similar or different problems on your computer.”

• By Saam - 6:08 AM on November 22, 2007

I have a DELL vostro, W-Vista Ultimate, when I open Acrobat pro 8, after aproximately 10 seconds, it’s closed. Uninstalling and re-installing and also changing windows compatibility did not solve my problem. Also I istalled adobe reader 8 after adobe acrobat 8 pro, and now I have reader 8 and acrobat 8 pro on my laptop. but the problem still exist.
    can someone help me?

[[there is a WHOLE thread on this at the Adobe User2User forums – http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.3bc421a1/274.
    Please see the resolution for Vista users: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750 ]]

• By Simon Benninga - 2:11 AM on December 2, 2007

I took a Word 2007 file with embedded screen clips from Excel 2007. When I pdf-d this file (I’m using Acrobat 8.1 ), some of the embeddings came out as BIG black boxes.

Solution anyone?

• By Gregory - 4:59 AM on December 5, 2007

hi i have recently install vista bussnes and i am running acrobat 8.0 pro
    i always got this error message
    [A serious error has been detected and Adobe EPIC_APP cannot continue. Please reinstall the application and try]

and i try it to reinstall it like 9 time but still give me the same message can some one help me becourse on xp it runs ok but vista sometime it work and sometime it does not work for me cann someone help me plaese

• By Gregory - 2:09 AM on December 6, 2007

i alway use to test pdf document on both platform’s (XP/Vista) and i use acrobat 8 pro, I sometime get and error message the i have used valid keys, if is not that is that my grace period expired and i should reinstall acrobat those are my issues daily. CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE?

• By Keith Butler - 11:08 PM on February 17, 2008

Any idea when Adobe Reader will support 64 Vista for PDF Preview (Outlook 2007)? I’m not a big fan of ‘foxit,’ but this feature is extremely useful. Thanks.

• By Beckie - 1:30 PM on February 20, 2008

We bought new dell computers that came with adobe. We have reinstalled so many times and have called customer support and we still get this message: you have entered an invalid serial number. Please re-install Adobe Acrobat 8.1 Standard and enter in a valid serial number when asked.
    Please help.

• By Jordan - 1:17 AM on March 28, 2008

I spent a long time downloading and installing the Acrobat Professional 8.1 TRIAL and then when it launches it says I have to buy it and 0 days remaining????

What is up with that…this is on Vista

[[I checked with Engineering, and they told me that when you get this message that means the trial was already on the system and used before. I was told “It’s the only intended reason why we would report 0 days.” If this is not the case, I recommend you review this technote (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750 ) which may solve your problem if in fact this is the first time the trial was installed and used on this system.]]

• By Wood Smith - 2:06 PM on April 17, 2008

My problem is the same a JJF reporten in September 07. When I attempt to insert pages, rotate pages, reduce document size, view document properties and others. I will ge a message saying Adobe Acrobat 8.1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

OS XP Service Pack 2, Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.1
    I have tried the repair option with no luck. I have also uninstalled and re-installed which does work temporarily.

• By Neale Gilhooley - 4:40 AM on June 24, 2008

I dwonloaded a 30 day free trail yesterday and today it demands payment NOW. If I want to buy I get sent to the page where I buy Acrobat 9 – not even out yet. Why should I pay for 9 when I got 8.1?
    What happened to the 30 days trial? I’ve been an Abode user and custmore for years and the only reason I need this is that my Actobat 6 is not Vista compatible, I do not need the extras but have to buy.

• By Steve Bryant - 11:30 AM on July 12, 2008

I also use the vista ultimate o.s. and am wondering when and if ever the previewer will be supported for our 64-bit system.

• By Will Beaty - 11:18 AM on July 13, 2008

Lori, I just purchased Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 prior to reviewing the your demo. Question: To upgrade to Acrobat Pro Extended from Acrobat Pro 9, does the upgrade still cost $299? If so, then I think I lost out.

[[Will — The ESP of Acrobat 9 Pro is $449; the ESP of Acrobat 9 Pro Extended is $699, and the upgrade to Acrobat 9 Extended from a previous Pro Product (6,7,8, or 9) is $229. If you purchased a full license of Acrobat 9 Pro – you can upgrade for $229. If you upgraded to Acrobat 9 Pro — and you wanted to upgrade to Acrobat 9 Pro Extended — call Customer Support and then can work with you. — lori]]

• By Sharon P - 9:37 AM on July 16, 2008

Upon loading the recent update for Adobe Acrobat PRO 8, it will not function. I’ve been reading possible fixes on the internet and seems that uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix this issue. Will upgrading to 9 fix this problem? The crashing is specifically related to updating the software. It worked great prior to that being done. I don’t want to pay to upgrade to 9 unless I know for a fact that it will work properly.

• By Neale Gilhooley - 5:32 AM on July 18, 2008

I did get the 30 day trial sorted out but it was very frsutrating for a while as I seemed to be trapped between 8 and 9. They even gave me a 65 day trial which might be enough to see me through to the launhc of 9. I am still annoyed at having to pay full price again even though I am only upgrading due to Vista issues.

[[I’m glad the trial issue worked out. It was a crazy glitch… anyway, Vista is supported by Acrobat 8.1 and/or Acrobat 9. You should test Acrobat 8.1 before you upgrade as it may resolve your problems — lori]]