Recently Approved

Comments (55)

Created

March 9, 2009

Acrobat & Adobe Reader 9.1 Update Available

An update to Adobe Reader 9 and Acrobat 9 is now available. In addition to a security update, there are a few more items:

Updated Software Support

To ensure compatibility with the latest software releases, this update includes support for:

• Microsoft Windows Server 2008

• IBM Lotus Notes 8.5 (specifically for Acrobat PDFMaker in email and using Notes for collaboration)
  • Autodesk AutoCAD 2009: Acrobat PDFMaker installed in AutoCAD and Acrobat’s 3D Import options

Additionally, there’s support for:

• Catalan and Basque languages

• Using the Pencil tool to add an electronic signature if you’re using a TabletPC or tablet/stylus device

The PDF Portfolio templates posted in August are now included in the update, and of course, some bug fixes.

Where’s the software?

Here’s the direct links to the software updates.
Adobe Reader 9.1 is a full install; Acrobat 9.1 is an update:
Adobe Reader 9.1 : Full install
Acrobat 9.1 Standard : Update
Acrobat 9.1 Pro (Win) : Update
Acrobat 9.1 Pro (Mac) : Update
Acrobat 9.1 Pro Extended : Update

COMMENTS

• By Jason Ball - 1:04 PM on April 10, 2009

I downloaded the 9.1 update a couple days ago and it deleted the adobe print drivers from my Windows Vista system. I am not happy with this. I always enjoyed the easy option of creating PDF files from any printable situation. I’m planning on deleting and doing a fresh install of just the 9.0. Is there any other way of getting my print drivers back?

[[I have some suggestions:
    1. http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333221&sliceId=1 (but Solution 1 isn’t valid for Acrobat 9.1 on Vista.)
    2. Try Help > Repair, otherwise, reinstall.
    3. This document may help: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=333221

• By linda young - 1:33 PM on April 16, 2009

I thought I just downloaded adobe 9.1 and it does not work, do you know why.
    [[Linda -- I would need more information on what exactly does not work for you]]

• By second tsang - 1:46 PM on April 17, 2009

After installing 9.1 update, I am not able to save production file with beginning and ending bates numbering in “document production with bates numbering”. It gives me warning and errors that it has to overwriting the existing file.

I called technical support and spent over 2 hours, all I got is to uninstall 9.1 and reinstall 9.0 without the patch.

This process will take at least take 30-45 minutes, and I have 20 pc out there.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

[[So... bad news... this is a known bug... ]]

• By Curtis Hall - 8:38 AM on April 20, 2009

I installed Acrobat 9.0 Standard and then updated to 9.1 last Friday, April 17th, 2009.

Everything went find, registered the program on both my laptop & disktop, pulled up old PDF’s – looking good.

Started working with it this weekend and am now printing a simple pdf document, nineteen (19) pages. Started at 4:43 am this morning and I have printed a total of seven (7) pages in 47 minutes. It is taking forever.

My old Acrobat 6.0 would have had the entire document printed off in less than one (1) or two (2) minutes.

What’s Up with this?

I am using an HP Laser Jet 2200 PS to print this document as always. I also have and use from time to time, an HP Office Jet Pro 5400 Series and an HP Dekjet 460 Series.

The same scenario (takes forever) is true on my laptop now as well.

There must be a fix for this. Help!

Curtis

[[Curtis -- I have a couple of suggestions. Please note -- if these don't work, you'll need to call Adobe Technical Support.
    1. Check out this technical note: http://www.adobe.com/go/kb403914
    2. If nothing there works, try these steps:
    a. File>Print
    b. In the Print dialog box, click the Advanced Button
    c. In the Advanced Print Setup, select the check box “Let printer determine colors”
    d. In the Advanced Print Setup, click the OK button
    e. In the Print dialog box, click the OK button
    3. If all else fails -- call Adobe Technical Support ]]

• By genny - 12:46 PM on April 23, 2009

This process will take at least take 30-45 minutes, and I have 20 pc out there.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

[[So... bad news... this is a known bug... ]]

genny

[[genny -- this is a bug -- lori ]]

• By anand Sarkar - 1:21 PM on May 6, 2009

looking for Adobe Acrobat Reader latest version-6.0 or
    more.without this my problem will be not solve.
    so help me for installations.

Thanks,

[[http://www.adobe.com/readerwill get you the latest version]]

• By pete - 11:03 PM on May 8, 2009

I upgraded to Adobe 9.0 (it loaded as 9.1) and ever since it occasionally shuts my PC down completely – no warnings, nothing, just a click, black screen, and then it reboots and eventually does it again later. I cant figure out what is tripping my PC off – maybe the “reboot” command that 9.1 demanded after I first installed it?????

[[Pete - I went through our Knowledge Base records and these outline issues with 9.1 -- http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/409/kb409099.html and http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404597.html. ]]

• By Ron Sauer - 7:14 AM on May 13, 2009

Received a flashy announcment noting the wonderful Adobe Reader update to 9.1. (currently had 8.1). Trusting the procedures you advertized for a full install,it stopped at 98% install, then it froze my Windows XP as it tried to remove my old Adobe 8.1 software, then promptly crashed . Why not start the process with an “uninstall”?

• By Jake - 1:51 PM on May 13, 2009

I am having a printing problem since updating from the CS3 suite to CS4, which included updating from Acrobat 8 to version 9 with the latest updates. I am running Apple OS 10.5. What happens is every time I try to print a pdf the spooling time takes forever and Acrobat stops responding. The document will eventually spool after a very long time depending on the size of the pdf. I have tried printing from different accounts and different printers, both networked and local. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    [[Please confirm that you didn't accidently turn on the "print as image" option under the Print Menu. this will cause a slow print experience ]]

• By Kathy - 12:54 PM on May 24, 2009

I currently have Adobe 9.0 and have been very happy with it. I tried to download 9.1…which I did successfully…but when I tried to use it (view something that used only 9.1), I got the message that 9.1 is incompatible with Vista SP1, which is what I have. Is there a solution for this? Thanks in advance!

• By Debbie Hughes - 2:17 PM on May 27, 2009

All I want to do is add 2 words to a document in Adobe,version 6. Is there an easy way to just simply add a text box? I have an older version 6.0.

Thanks

• By Gabe - 7:29 PM on May 29, 2009

Need to update adobe Reader 9.1 Set up

• By Gabe - 7:29 PM on May 29, 2009

Need to update adobe Reader 9.1 Set up

• By Mario Berlincioni - 11:57 AM on June 1, 2009

I hav eupgrade to Adobe acrobat 9.1 but since I hav ethe small computer like Fujitsu life bood U 1010 when the screen for accept the ADOBE SYSTEMS INCORPORATED

Warranty Disclaimer and Software License Agreement

Since the scren is too small cannot reach the OK button and I do not know the key stroke to do taht action. Somebody can help?

• By Diann Beard - 2:41 PM on June 3, 2009

I’ve a program on Microsoft publisher that I would like to save as a pdf extension. How do I save this?

• By Diann Beard - 2:41 PM on June 3, 2009

• By Diann Beard - 2:41 PM on June 3, 2009

• By Bartula Malqued - 4:24 AM on June 4, 2009

Everytime i try to download a PDF File a notice always comes up on my screen saying the Adobe Acrobat/ Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser Acrobat/Reader version 8/9 is required. But i already download Acrobat 9 and it downloaded as Acrobat 9.1. What is happening could you please tell us what happens to acrobat readers, i use to just easily download PDF files but since this updates and 9.1 came i cannot read any PDF files at all. I had spent so much time trying to seek help but still cannot fix the problem.

Regards; May

• By dan - 2:00 PM on June 8, 2009

I have downloaded the upgrade of Acrobat 9 Standard. When I try and print a document to Adobe pdf, it justs keeps “spooling”. Can I turn off spooling so it will print to pdf faster?

• By dan - 6:58 PM on June 8, 2009

Upgraded to adobe acrobat 9 standard today. Now when I try and print a document to pdf, it just stays in a “spooling” mode forever. Can I turn off “spooling”.

• By jeff - 11:36 AM on June 9, 2009

just downloaded the acrobat reader 9.0 yesterday and work with personalizing pdf’s…now it tells me that I cannot save data typed into the form…HELP? bought acrobat 7.0 standard a few years ago and have been please with it until today.

• By Linda - 11:40 AM on June 10, 2009

I was just upgraded to Adobe 9.0 Professional for our form editing. Is there any way to keep the cursor as a cursor when creating new fields? The cross-hair creation is a bit confusing.

• By Cindy - 11:12 AM on June 12, 2009

I have Acrobat Professional 9.0 and have installed the most recent updates. I have Windows XP Professional, and MS Office 2003 including Outlook 2003. Whenever I have a pdf document open and I want to send it, I am able to open a blank e-mail message and the document is attached. The problem comes when I hit the “send” button. My computer freezes and I need to shut everything down and restart my computer, having lost the e-mail message that I just composed. I never had this happen with any previous version of Acrobat. I can open a blank e-mail message and then attach the document, but the feature to e-mail an open pdf directly from Acrobat locks up my computer completely. What’s up with this?

• By Rob Rosenthal - 1:16 AM on November 23, 2010

I’m having a similar problem with the Mac version of Acrobat Pro 9, only Acrobat freeze as soon as I hit the “attach to email” command. With the Mac, however, I’m able to force quit Acrobat and don’t have to completely reboot my machine. I had no such problem with freezing on version 7 of Acrobat, my previous version, and used the “attach to email” command all the time.

[[are you using a MAPI-compliant email client?]]

• By pit - 2:46 AM on June 16, 2009

does anyone of you use folder redirection of appdata to a network drive? then printing can be very slow. don’t know what the adobe programmers are smoking.

• By Bri - 10:52 AM on June 18, 2009

I can’t open certain document send on Internet. I think it is because of Adobe reader

• By Dann Cox - 1:56 PM on June 23, 2009

I’m disapointed to see that this release has still not fixed the ongoing problem with the PDF Previewer for Vista on 64-bit Vista. This has been reported to Adobe repeatedly over an almost three year period, with no response that I have seen. Check your own forums:

• By Dann Cox - 1:56 PM on June 23, 2009

• By Russell Munson - 10:01 AM on July 1, 2009

I installed the adobe reader 9.1 update a couple of days ago.

Now, everytime I load certain webpages, my computer freezes for about a full minute, and eventually an error message pops up telling me “invalid adobe reader plugin detected”.

I click OK, and windows vista closes my browswer. (IE7).

This is happening with more regularity, with many websites, as the days go by.

I have re-installed the 9.1 update several times, and have run the Help: Repair adobe reader installation link as well.

Is this a “known issue”, or do I need to uninstall and reinstall my adobe reader 9.0?
    Is there a tool available to help me uninstall the adobe reader, so that I may “clean” install?

Thanks

• By Russell Munson - 8:46 AM on July 2, 2009

Why havent you responded to my question? I could use the help.
    Thanks

• By I need to uninstall Adobe Reader 9.1.2 - 11:31 PM on July 16, 2009

Computer will not uninstall –
    Vista O.S.

• By Pat Mayer - 8:10 AM on August 14, 2009

I installed at update to get to the most current version, and then I srated getting dick full warnings. I removed Acrobat, and the install application did not prompt me to install it on D:

• By Piilani Smith - 1:00 AM on November 7, 2009

I do up a newsletter on a quarterly basis. After emailing the newsletter to my readers, I have to print out the same adobe reader 1 document to those readers who do not have a computer. After I updated to 9.1, I cannot print out the newsletter to send a hard copy to my readers. What is happening? I am not able to print out documents at all even from other sources. Help.

[[I think you'll have to call the help desk, or try to repair the installation]]

• By Guy - 5:51 AM on November 26, 2009

Can standard 6.0 be upgraded to professional 9.1 or 9.2?
    [[absolutely! -- the Adobe.com store price is US$159. Here's a link directly to the page where you can see the Upgrade eligibility --lori ]]

• By Install Software - 3:45 AM on February 6, 2010

Another great post.
    Thanks for the tips and help.
    Everyone, bookmark this site.

• By Mark Thomas - 5:42 PM on February 8, 2010

I, like so many others, have upgraded to Acrobat Pro 9, and am having to wait forever while it spools/sends the job to my xerox 4127. Acrobat 8 never did this, and I am wondering if there is a fix or if I need new drivers for my printer. I have tried different preference settings but keep going back to the Acrobat default. And the “print as image” option is unchecked. Any suggestions?

[[Here's a suggestion: In the Advanced Print Setup accessible from the print dialogue, go to the Color tab and change the setting from "Acrobat Color Management" to either "Printer Color Management" or "same as source."
    You may see an improved spooling time is any faster and if so - let us know the results. If the spooling is faster, it is a driver issue or more precisely a driver plug-in issue. ((The driver comes from Microsoft and the plug-in if it exists comes from the Xerox.) - lori ]]

• By Jeff Schwegman - 11:30 AM on July 5, 2010

Hi Lori,
    Searching the Adobe site for some info and ran across you blog, so I hope that you can help me out. I’m a Systems Engineer with Konica Minolta and I was working on a customer installation last Thursday with Acrobat Pro 9. My instructions (from my company’s tech support) for my printer installation said that in order to enable TWAIN scanning from the copier back to Acrobat, that I needed to uninstall my TWAIN driver, then upgrade to Acrobat Pro 9.3.2, and re-install the TWAIN driver. Once I did this my Acrobat plug-in for a Kodak product stopped functioning. I noticed that after running the Acrobat updater program from the help menu, instead of the 9.3.2 version, I actually received 9.3.3. Is there any way that I can un-install the 9.3.3 and fall back to just 9.3.2? [[Jeff - I'm sorry to say there's no way to downgrade back to 9.3.2 per our tech support organization]]

• By Leila J Lewis - 2:26 AM on July 22, 2010

Jeff Schwegman oon 7/5/10 at 11:30 a.m. has the same question I do. He said:

“Is there any way that I can un-install the 9.3.3″

Did he get an answer? How can I get the answer?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Leila J. Lewis
    LeilaJ52@hotmail.com

[[Leila -- as I said to Jeff - you cannot downgrade back to 9.3.2 - lori]]

• By Donna Lanager - 2:28 PM on July 31, 2010

When I try to view a document, I get an “invalid plud in detected” What does ot mean and what should I do/ Thanks. [[donna - typically message occurs when you're in a browser - open Acrobat or Reader (whichever you're using) - and select Help > Repair. this will re-establish the browser plug-in -- lori]]

• By Diane - 1:14 AM on August 7, 2010

after creating a PDF document in adobe, i am unable to email it from the document. message says…unable to connect to email i have wondows live mail. [[hi diane - your email client must be MAPI compliant - Windows Live Mail is not. You'll have to mail it from Live Mail as an attachment. - lori ]]

• By Jimmy - 10:56 PM on August 8, 2010

I updated adobe reader and upon trying to open a document i get the error “invalid plug in detected” this also happens when opening reader by itself and not only when trying to open a document. I did a re-install as well and get the same thing. As posted earlier { open Acrobat or Reader (whichever you’re using) – and select Help > Repair. this will re-establish the browser plug-in } i can not try because i get the error as soon as i open reader and it will close down right away. Any help with this would be appreciated. [[sorry for the delay in responding. please view http://forums.adobe.com/thread/301748 for a suggested solution -- lori ]]

• By Dennis Mize - 11:40 PM on August 8, 2010

I had installed Adobe 9.3.3 and when I try to run the program, I get the invalid plugin dectected message, and it prompts me to close the program. When I try to run the fix on the help menu, it doesn’t fix the problem. I’ve already tried to uninstall the reader, and reinstall it, but I still get the plug in problem. What do I do now??

• By Dennis Mize - 12:49 AM on August 9, 2010

Not giving up on this problem, I went the directory when Adobe 9.3.3 was installed. I went to the plugin directory (named \reader 9.0/plug_ins) and deleted all the files found. I then reinstalled the Adobe Reader, and rebooted the system. This time, it came up properly and I can now read my PDF files again!!

Thanks!

[[great news! - lori]]

• By James mitchell - 12:19 AM on August 21, 2010

After switching from Adobe 8 to Adobe 9 I cannot open any PDF file, I recieve pop up saying invalid plugin detected. I call Adobe and they are glad to fix if, I pay them to sign up for a contract with and this is for a free product which makes it no longer free. To me this constitutes what is called a bait and switch tactic, because they know there is a problem with thier software. What a piece of junk. [[it sounds to me like you're using Adobe Reader, right? I think you can just repair Adobe Reader (Help > Repair) and this should fix it. If not - you may want to reinstall --lori ]]

• By Rhein, Wolfram - 3:32 PM on August 23, 2010

In our office we worked until last week with version akrobat 8, then the administrator.
    Then came an upgrade to version 9. Everything seemed to be ok, when trying to use
    supercript via textstyle, this function was´not there anymore.
    How can we use superscript with Adobe 9 PRO.
    Is there a manual available ?
    [[this tool is still available - select Control + E to show the Properties toolbar - lori ]]

• By Michelle - 11:19 PM on August 26, 2010

I use a couple of websites, real estate related, that require adobe reader 9. Everytime I install the program it creates issues with other programs/websites. I also have Adobe Acrobat standard 6 on my computer – IS THERE A KNOW INCOMPATIBILITY WITH THESE TWO? These constant issues related to Adobe are driving me nuts. [[no incompatibility - its just that you can only have one be the default. If you want to make something open with Acrobat 6 Standard right click on it and select "Open With Acrobat". Also - you can't have Adobe Reader 9 and Acrobat running at the same time. You have to quit one to use the other one. - lori ]]

• By Hiram - 3:35 PM on October 26, 2010

I would like to thank you for this der programme

• By Hiram - 3:38 PM on October 26, 2010

I would like to thank you for this wonderful programme I just love useing it

• By Israr Ahmad - 11:20 AM on December 20, 2010

upgrade vesion already use old one

• By Pioneer - 1:36 PM on January 25, 2011

We have a PDF form in use by our sales force–the form is an order form which is scripted to automatically upload to Outlook (with addresses attached) by clicking the “Print/Save/Email”
    button.

Some of our sales people have moved toward new laptops with Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail–finding that the form no longer works in auto–they receive error message that says
    “cannot find email client”. Conflict exists somewhere–where’s the first place to begin looking?

[[Acrobat works with MAPI email clients. I don't believe Live Mail is MAPI-compliant.]]

• By fix acrobat reader - 10:02 AM on February 1, 2011

Its so highly informative things are posted here. Thanks for giving this blog. fix acrobat reader

• By Gerry - 4:55 PM on March 10, 2011

adobe reader X (10.1) loading files locks system up and sometimes will not load or take a very long time

• By Ian - 4:53 PM on March 14, 2011

Have same problem as Gerry with reader X (10.1). Takes very long to load files.

• By Manfred Schmuck - 12:12 AM on March 27, 2011

I can download my Bank Statements. But when I try to open them acrobat reader 9 tries to instal 9.3 every time. When it is finished with that it trys to install 9.3 again and again at nausium
    Where is the trigger to shut it off.
    Manfred

[[Hi - please try these suggestions from our support team: 1) Clear the Windows temp files and Internet Temporary files; or 2) I would recommend they uninstall Reader. Reboot. Then, download the latest Reader from our website. -lori ]]

• By delane chapman - 8:11 PM on May 16, 2011

looking for update that will make my acrobat 6 professional run with windows 7 professional.
    Hi Delane – I’m really sorry but this isn’t going to happen. Acrobat 6 – released in July 2003 is no longer a supported product. Additionally, it is very difficult for vendors (Adobe and others) to support tools in new operating systems that were released many years after the product was introduced. I encourage you to download the Acrobat X trial (adobe.com/tryacrobat) to see if this version (fully supported in Windows 7) can meet your needs. [--lori]