MXDU Recap

Geoff Bowers has posted a recap of Branden Hall’s presentation at the recent MXDU. Branden basically showed the history of Flash from Future Splash to Flash MX.

You can view the recap here.

Question of the day, would you be interested in seeing screen shots of every version of Flash?

9 Responses to MXDU Recap

1. Jim says:

While screenshots would be great, what about the apps themselves? I can’t find a copy of Future Splash to save my life and I’d love to just play around. What if MM made Futurespash – Flash 3 available on CD for $50? I’d pay just for the novelty.

2. mike chambers says:

What would do you with old versions of the authoring environment?mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

3. John Dowdell says:

heh-heh… $50 won’t get you my copy of FutureWave FutureSplash Animator, pal… it stays right next to my copy of VideoWorks II and MacroMind Three-D…. 8)Mike, have you ever seen Ian Kelleigh’s “History of FreeHand” at freehandsource.com? (I can’t access the site at the moment.) It’s fascinating to see how layers of functionality accreted… how things built up version by version. Hey, maybe if we have some space on the next DRK we could get a sign-off to include some antiques on an as-is basis…? It would be great to have a text file of the tags supported in ColdFusion 1.0, or a section of the e-docs about the Dreamweaver 1.0 interface, or the Director 5 credit screen, or such….

4. Since the new Flash Player is still able to play .spl files, there’s nothing stopping you from authoring in Future Splash.And of course, there’s a historical and emotional value, especially for people who work with Flash for years.But, of course, I don’t see this as a reason for Macromedia to release old versions.

5. Jason says:

I recently found an “Allaire ColdFusion Application Server 3.1” cd laying around here at work. Ahh, memories. 🙂

6. Matt Voerman says:

Bring it on Mike ! – Additionally you could always go and check http://web.archive.org – they have a backed up version of Macromedia’s site from 1996 !

7. zeh says:

I would be interested in seeing that. After seeing seeing tons of beta screenshots from everything from windows to quake, I could definetely use a FutureSplash screenshot.

8. David Sharpe says:

Kevin -The History of Macromedia produced last year was pretty good. However, I always thought going into detail on specific programs would be very cool. The big three probably being Director, Flash, and Dreaweaver, and continue from there. People love the novelty.

9. Sally says:

Who was the original developer of Future Splash?Did he become the Product Manager for Flash?I’m trying to remember the name of the Product Manager at the time of the first release of ActionScript. (Flash 4)