Public Bugbase?

Over the past year, we have had a lot of requests for a public macromedia bug base. As we have mentioned before on the forums, this is something that we have been and are considering.

This leads me to my question of the day:

Does anyone know of any other companies that have public bugbases?

I know that most open source projects do, but can’t find any examples of other companies that have done anything similar.

18 Responses to Public Bugbase?

1. D says:

Uhhh, the whole Microsoft knowledgebase is full of bugs…

2. gwint says:

a little OT, but about a year ago, you mentioned that MM was going to have online Flash MX docs that allowed for member posting similar to php.net. whatever happened to that?

3. Daniel Dura says:

I hope I am not fueling anything off topic 🙂 But I must say that the Php.net documentation is one of the greatest things ever. I learn more about PHP using thier documentation, than just about anywhere. Creating a version of that for actionscript and cold fusion would be great.Also, I can’t really think of any commercial applications that have that. Plenty of open source products do.

4. A public bugbase would be great. Java’s bugbase is an example, although this is not necessarily opensource.At the very least, bug tracking is needed. The “bug report / wish list” seems like a bit of a black hole, as it currently stands.

5. John says:

I agree with gwint and Daniel. A PHP.net style of documentation with feedback would be a top notch solution, and in my book, the best solution for actionscripters.

6. eyezberg says:

Microsift has a so-called “technote” base, which in fact IS a public bugbase..:-)

7. Macromedia should take the lead and start one. It could save hours on forums, searching, etc to see if there if a problem is down to a bug, rather than my own bad scripting 😉

8. Rostislav Hristov says:

My browser of choice have a public bugbase system 😉http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/

9. seancorfield says:

The php.net style of docs exists for most of the server products including Flash Remoting MX. At some point (workload, priorities), I’m hoping my team will be able to take on an update of LiveDocs and we’ll look at adding the documentation from the tools.

10. Todd says:

Bradsoft:http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/forums/index.asp (topstyle.support.bugs) – Considered a bug base for bradsoft — “How do I report a bug in TopStyle? If you find a bug in TopStyle, first stop by the buglist page to make sure it hasn’t already been reported. If it hasn’t been reported, please let us know about it by reporting it in our bug newsgroup.”

11. zeh says:

Daniel Dura is so right. PHP.net’s “command dictionary” is so easy to use because of the comments and examples that people provide along with it that’s almost a joke to use PHP that way. I learnt everything I know about PHP (and built some sites and scripts with it) with absolutelly no hassle simply because their site’s comments would help me a lot on whichever I could think of achieving with the language. A Flash MX command dictonary (like the help is already shaped) with user submitted comments and contributions would be a dream.

12. anonymous says:

Oracle / Microsoft / Sun / IBM / Netegrity / BEA all have ‘technical knowledge bases’ which record known ‘issues’ (read bugs) … some require you to be a registered customer. Think Macromedia a compelling reason to get registered, wouldn’t that alone be worth it’s while? … jeez you’ve been thinking about this problem for months … these are the sort of reasons why Macromedia will never ever be adopted in the enterprise, thus why RIA will never be adopted in the enterprise … take you selves seriously and maybe the enterprise will …

13. mike chambers says:

Actually, we have a list of known issues and workarounds. They are called technotes, and can be found in the support centers for each product.http://www.macromedia.com/support/mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

14. anonymous says:

Mike, the difference between Macromedia’s knowledge base and the companies I mention above is their knowledge bases _are_ public bug repositories …

15. I would like to inform you that Borland Corp. has a bug base; in the name of Quality assurance; you can post bug reports etc.Read more in the article @ bdn:http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,27815,00.html

16. phil says:

“Actually, we have a list of known issues and workarounds. They are called technotes, and can be found in the support centers for each product.”ok. fine. but a bug repository is up to date. the tech notes are not.apple has a very goog bug reporting system where you actually get response from. (http://bugreport.apple.com)it’s not a bug repository but it’s a good example for a free, responsive bug reporting system. they probably realized that it’s a good thing having people report bugs, and that the motivation to do so is proportional to the amount of feedback people get.

17. bshankar says:

I am having a problem with play() method of a MediaDisplay component. When I say myMedia.play(2) ..video starts at 4 seconds instead of 2 seconds.In my application I have links to play video at several cuepoints…upon clicking any link video should start play from that cuepoint but it start playing few seconds later than given second.If anybody has come across this issue…or have a solution to this please reply back.ThanksB.S