DRK Sneak : Pollster Test

At FlashForward last week, I gave a sneak peak of some of the content on DRK 4 (due out shortly). One of the things I showed was a polling sample application, that uses Flash as the interface.

Well, here is your chance to check it out.

This is a quick test of the poll (and is not the final version). If you run into any problems or have any suggestions, post them in the comments.

Post comments, bugs, suggestions in the comments section.

37 Responses to DRK Sneak : Pollster Test

1. roburrito says:

um, beer?

2. Brian says:

This is awesome!!!… more more…Can you show a sample of the icon/graphic libraries?thanks,-Brian

3. Richard says:

showing the result in order of preference would be nice

4. Jan says:

The tabbing, is that a component from DRK 1 or a light version in 4?

5. Good stuff Mike,Maybe a tooltip displaying the option and value would be more appropriate when you roll over the pie-chart.

6. Daniel Dura says:

The tab view component used here is from DRK3.

7. mike chambers says:

>Maybe a tooltip displaying the option and value would be more appropriate when you roll over the pie-chart.Yeah. I am playing around with this. The problem is that there is very limited space, so it is difficult to display labels / tool tiips without running off the edge.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

8. mike chambers says:

I just made a tweak where when you roll over an item in the results, it now shows the following ingo:votes out of total (percent)let me know what you think…–Also, i have set the poll to inactive, so you should not be able to vote. Let me know if an error occurs.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

9. mike chambers says:

fyi, the poll is once again active. vote away!mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

10. dylan says:

Inane, I know, but where’s water on there?:)

11. mike chambers says:

Yeah. I originally had water on there, but removed it so I could add “Other”.I figured every one would be getting caffenated though. Shows what I know.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

12. Seth Turetsky says:

very neathow dynamic is it, could you add an other field where people could type in their own choice? even though it could get messy

13. Mike Chambers says:

No, the interface does not allow users to freeform enter answers. That would get really messy, and is more along the lines of a surbey (hmm, sounds like something for a future drk)…: )mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

14. Brian Rogers says:

Could you add a sample of something on the onRelease of one of the pie pieces? I notice that it ‘selects’ that piece. Can it fire events too?thanks,-brianp.s. please show a screen shot of the icon library.. 🙂

15. mike chambers says:

the pie chart supports the following events:-onSelect-onChartOver-onChartOutI will get a screen shot of the library up. We just need to figure out a way to keep people from just useing the screen shot instead of the ones from the DRK.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

16. Brian says:

Do all of the charts support the same events?Can you just make a jpg that’s low quality?thanks … can’t wait for the release…-Brian

17. mike chambers says:

>Do all of the charts support the same events?yes.I am not sure what you mean about JPG. Do you mean instead of the Flash movie?mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

18. Brian says:

By JPG I mean a flat file that would be safe from decompilation. You could even do it at a lower resolution so people would be crazy to try to copy them from the JPG for use. I just wanted to have a peek at what they looked like.thanks much,-Brian

19. Brian says:

I think my response was unclear… I’m referring to the graphics libraries, not the poll.thanks,Brian

20. Josh Dura says:

woohoo! Coke wins!

21. Brian says:

How does this poll know if I’ve taken it before or not? I’ve taken it several times now on the same computer. Does it use IP or SharedObjects?

22. mike chambers says:

Brian,Were you able to vote multiple times in the same browser on the same computer?mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

23. Brian says:

different browser sessions, but the same browser version. It’s not everytime I get a new session, but it’s often…

24. mike chambers says:

Yeah. That was a bug, which should be fixed now.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

25. matte says:

What about sorting by answer total?(e)

26. matte says:

Oooh, thought of another thing.Clicking the text of your answer, before submitting, should work the same as clicking the radio button. IMHO(e)

27. Hilary says:

Mike,Please make voting multiple times from the same PC an option that can be set.Within our organisation (Health Care) there is just one PC at ward level for multiple staff to use.

28. mike chambers says:

>Please make voting multiple times from the same PC an option that can be set.yes. that is an option in the adminstrative interface.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

29. Brian says:

sweet.. great job…can’t wait to see more

30. andar says:

hi Mike,is the server-side script included in the DRK 4 ? (beside the poll component)

31. Ralph says:

The pie prsentation could be improved by annimating the slice being selected. Right now it seems to always show the largest slice.

32. mike chambers says:

>is the server-side script included in the DRK 4 ? (beside the poll component)Yes. The entire back end and adminstrative interface is included.As well as a Dreamweaver extension to put the poll into your webpage (you can also do it manually).mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

33. VERY nice! This is something I”ve wanted for a while and my users are asking for.

34. Rene says:

Nice work! Not to be a party pooper here, but while the technical aspect of the poll is handled good (data input, showing update progress, switching to results page), the display of the actual information could be improved in terms of good information visualization.Although used extensively in all sorts of graphics, pie charts are evil, they’re the blink tag of IV. The main reason for this is that the human eye is given a hard time when trying to compare the slices’ relativ sizes.A more detailed explanation can be found here: http://lilt.ilstu.edu/gmklass/pos138/datadisplay/badchart.htm (How to Construct Bad Charts and Graphs by Gary Klass).Although I know most people don’t care for good visualization or graphical excellence as described by Tufte, and people would certainly moan the loss of such a seemingly good component, I’d go for a bar chart here (there’s hardly ever a good reason for choosing a pie over a bar, unless you’re really talking food).I know, all of this probably isn’t directly relevant for the functionality of the poll, but it certainly lessens the usability of its results.

35. Behrang says:

It’s so fantastic but I opened the page in a new browser and an error page appears on top of the poll!!! Should visitors see this error if they vote before or this was a bug?

36. Rick says:

Looks good. If you release this I and many other high traffic sites will not use it unless there is a security doc. Using cookies or Flash SO is not enough, you’ll need to include IP tracking per poll per person as well using a db or cfcs. There’s much to say about this from my experience, but I think you got the point. Thanks. R

37. Sergey says:

Great! Maybe I was in a hurry to buy Flashloaded piechart (http://www.flashloaded.com/3dpiechart.php )?