Flash Community Non-Flash Mailing List?

Would anyone be interested in a Flash community mailing list, that would allow Flash developers to talk about off topic / non-flash subjects? One of the great things about all of the Flash mailing lists is that they are excellent resources, and generally stay on topic. I was thinking that having a Flash list (similar to cf-community) might be a good way for Flash developers to chat about non-Flash topics.

What gave me the idea? Josh Dura and I have been playing Madden 2004 (PS2) on-line, and I was thinking it would be cool to have a Flash community tournament. But there is no real way to ask anyone about it (I try to keep this weblog on topic).

Anyways, if anyone is interested, let me know and perhaps we can get a list setup. It would be a good opportunity to get to know people in the Flash community outside of the context of Flash.

34 Responses to Flash Community Non-Flash Mailing List?

1. Jonas Galvez says:

Yeah, that would be great! Damn… I guess I’ve turned myself into an workaholic. I don’t touch my PS2 since ages!

2. brian says:

I think that’s a great idea. A place to discuss things within a known community where nothing is OT!

3. hehe.. I joined the flashcoders list about a month ago. The only thing that I find annoying is people complaining about the off topic stuff, rather than the off topic stuff itself. But I understand where they’re coming from. I’d sign up…

4. cedric says:

of course … we are humans!!! that would be really cool! ! sometimes I find myself more stuck with people I don’t know than with my friends, so why not having a Flash Friends Community ! ? ! ?;-)

5. Ben Haldenby says:

What I’ve always craved is a Flash mailing list of the calibre and quality of Flashcoders but with a slightly wider remit. For instance, discussions about visual design, usability, application design, techniques and tricks which might not fall specifically into the AS bracket.I’ve always thought of Flashcoders as a superb resource to learn about best practise for coding ActionScript, now if we had a partner list for design (both visual and structural) within Flash, then we would have the best of both worlds.

6. anonymous coward says:

yeah great idea !let’s invite Todd “adolf” Hopkinson and Aral “mahatma” Balkan for a nice and friendly debate about GWB and politics !

7. Serge says:

You mean something like the ShockTalk forum on UltraShock? 🙂

8. Agreed, a list where we wouldn’t get in trouble for discussing theory would be nice.There is a whole new dimension of flash development coming around the corner that will be just like the old days… cell phones with a 20k file size limit.We could use a new ‘dimension’ in the community that’s a little less hardcore than flashCoders – which is pretty extreme in the corporate sense.Maybe something along the lines of the MM ‘site design’ from a few years ago.

9. Cesar Tardaguila says:

Yeah!.Let’s talk abaout games, computer gadgets, and, well, real life!.

10. Shock says:

hmhm kind of like…well the coffe lounge at http://www.flashkit.com ?

11. darron says:

I think it would be a great opportunity to foster relations, as the occasional off-topic post on FlashCoders gets met with incivility and harsh criticisms.If we all had a place to just converse on a more casual level, I think everyone can benefit.

12. Paul Colombo says:

I think you should alter your challenge a bit.Instead of Madden, make it Unreal Tournament 2003, and instead of other Flashers make it the LiveMotion team from Adobe.

13. excelent idea!!!.like flashkit, ultrashock and msn groups

14. Jonatan says:

Great idea, the funny thing is that I emailed Branden Hall yesterday with a proposal for a thing like this since he posted one of his state of flashcoders mails on flashcoders

15. Sean Voisen says:

I’m all for it!

16. Jason Merrill says:

Cool idea – go for it. … as long as we can also talk Xbox.. 🙂

17. Helmut says:

an IRC channel would be nice to.Talk to other flashers in real time!!btw whose ready for some DOD? if anyone out there does look for dot ;o)

18. sean says:

I subscribe to both flashnewbie and flashcoders. I have to say that flashnewbie is by far a better list.The level of flashcoder may be superior but a list on a specific topic is more than a live reference book. People ought to be able to share experience with others eventhough some folks might see it as OT.A specific point would be flash coding structure. Eventhough it doesn’t deal with a particular function or component in flash it is a very real issue for many of us. Now if i answer a post with my experiences 9 out of 10 it would be considered improper.My question is when did civility become so expensive?

19. That sounds like a great idea Mike. I would love to participate.On the off-topic issue with flashcoders. It seems the main problem people point to is that their inbox is already overburdened with on-topic content as it is. However, this is really not a problem for me since I subscribe to the digest version. I usually check the list once a day anyway to see if any topics interest me or if I can help someone (don’t do that near as much as I’d like).I wonder what is the appeal of receiving each individual email from the list? Why don’t more people just subscribe to the digest? Also why is there not an option to have nothing sent at all? That way you could post and would be a member of the list, but you would not receive anything. In this case, you would do as I do and just check the list when you have time.

20. Kevin Baker says:

This sounds great! It would be fun to have a place to talk about all this other Flash stuff.Plus any good OT threads started on Flashcoders could just move over as they picked up. It would be great to pass on a “Let’s take this to the WhateverFlashNinja list” rather than “stop talking” ;)What do we need to do to get this started?

21. I´d love it – some loose rules would be cool, though: if sitechecks took overhand, I´d rather not subscribe.would love to see some quality discussions in a more relaxed atmosphere than on *ehem* existing mailing lists

22. Andy says:

I’d join too.And while you’re at it, any chance of a temporary list where we can discuss issues with the Flash Player 7 beta?I remember a while back you were asking Mac users to supply details of Flash content that underperformed on Mac OS (all of it IMHO), and while some content appears to be drastically better in the 7 player, I’ve found a few of my preojects to run even slower. Would be great if we could all discuss this somewhere without and finally nail this problem.Cheers Mike. 🙂

23. Yah I think that would be cool.. if Brandon isn’t down to host it, I’ve set up aFlashCommunity list here…http://lithyem.net/mailman/listinfo/flash_community_lithyem.netHope it works out!-michael

24. Paul Neave says:

I think that’s a big YES from everyone concerned! Now all you’ve got to do is set it up… good luck!

25. Branden says:

I’ll *probably* set up a list tonight or tomorrow. I’ve got to ok it with the folks providing the bandwidth first though. I’ll be sure everyone knows about the list when it goes live.

26. csw says:

I’ve been wanting to tell everyone that I should not have eaten all of that damn Tacos Mexico burrito.I’m in.

27. Michael Haggerty says:

I would definitely be interested in seeing a community list. I would also definitely be interested in taking you on in Madden, I am going to buy a copy of 2004 tonight and, as they say, I am quite good.M

28. John says:

I am up for both — Flash community list and getting some online Madden fun. I just got my copy but I can’t play until Friday (on business trip).

29. darron says:

Just want to say thanks to everyone here – action was taken extremely quick. Mike posted up this today and already Brandon has the list created.rock.

30. Great! That’s where I have to go to tell everyone how much fun I’m having during my vacations!!!:)

31. Jaffasoft says:

Why didn’t macromedia have one before , what took you so long?

32. tommy says:

well, macromedia has made lots of money from their Flash software. But it does not stop yet