Macromedia Flash and Flash Pro 2004 now Available

If you keep up with the community weblogs, then you probably already know that Macromedia Flash and Flash Pro 2004 are now available from our website. If you have been waiting to check out the new tools, head on over to the Macromedia website, and you can download a 30 day trial. If you are a DevNet Pro subscriber, then you can download the full version of Flash Pro from your subscription portal.

So, what is my favorite new feature? Well, I am excited about the new components (tons of them) and ActionScript 2.0, but I my favorite feature is the extensibility layer, which allows you to create reusable commands and behaviors as well as script the IDE. You can do some really cool stuff with the extensibility layer (such as compiling and publishing SWFs from the command line).

You can find more info on Flash 2004 and Flash Pro here.

You can download the trial from here.

17 Responses to Macromedia Flash and Flash Pro 2004 now Available

1. Mike,I have a DevNet Pro volume subscription, and when installed, MX04 performs product activation.I thought Volume licenses did not do product activation.Any one else noticed this?

2. Nick says:

Any plans to give us some more of thos MM shop 10% discount codes again?

3. Simon says:

It’s possible that this has been answered elsewhere and I missed it, but can existing Flash components be used in Flash MX 2004? If I upgrade will it simply use the components I already have installed?Beyond that, and this might be beyond your area, will Dreamweaver extensions written for MX work in MX 2004?

4. Damon says:

No you’ll have to install the componentsand some of them don’t work with FlashMX 2004, some of the ones in the DRK’s have been modifed for MX04and I think DRK 5 will have more of them which will be available in October. You need to check it out it’s awesome!!

5. kevin says:

I love the new components but I cannot believe they didn’t include the scrollbar for the textfields.I’ve also had a problem with the IMG tag, it doesn’t seem to like multiple images and CSS hover effects for links. It moves all of the text over when you roll over the link.

6. me says:

Once again, the promise of greatness is wasted by MM with a lack of docs on new features. I was so looking forward to using forms/slides, but I’ll be damned if I can find docs on how to use it and real world examples and source code on how to make these features sing. 30 more minutes and my deadline gets too close and I’ll just go back to old trusty html.

7. Olivier says:

And will the servers get more reliable?It’s 404, 505 hell right now….

8. jj says:

Why AsBroadcaster is still undocumented ?

9. Patrik says:

10. Vinny Timmermans says:

Mike, Flash MX Professional is absolutely great but seems to lack a fundamental feature to make it a tool for developing serious business applications like Visual Studio i.e. support for filesystem interactions. It seems to me at first glance this is not supported in AS2 and there is no upload component as well. I am developing CRM, eHRM and CM business applications and I would love to build them as RIAs but all serious business applications need a way to upload documents and other files. Do I still need to buy other tools or utilities to add these features to my applications?Yes, I know I can use Dreamweaver and Coldfusion to get the job done, but I would like to build fully-Flash UIs. Any suggestions?

11. M says:

Mike,If poss could you quickly answer a couple of things?1. As mentioned above – the reference/help files – whats happened there then? Pretty much all the real good stuff of Flash Pro has no documentation. Once I registered there was an updater – 29Mb or so – and it seems not a thing has changed! Is there anywhere online where we can look at how to use all this new stuff – esp. data connection comps etc?? Any idea when proper docs will be ready and available?2. This new preloader API / MovieClipLoader Class – it seems to me (I’ve only glanced so far..) that it’s not a help with preloader the initial swf – is this right? As in – there is no way to show progress etc with the new loader api for the _level0 movie? Also – the components are again either export in frame 1 or not at all – so does this mean yet again we are stuck throwing components all over the off-stage area so as not to have 100k in the first frame before any progress indicator has the chance to start working? Pretty dissapointing if thats the case – figured Moocks petition may have had some effect…All everyone wanted was a nice, efficient, clean way to preload the swf itself without the hassle we all have grown used to – and not worry about that 50k in the first frame blowing a load bar out the water!3. Is there any way to make the prog a little less sensitive to changes? If you even breath close to the monitor that little ‘has changed’ asterix appears – can’t it wait until something has indeed changed?? Open an fla, click anywhere on the stage and that’s it – save is needed. Man that’s annoying!4. Where’s this command-line publishing thing then? :-)Anyway – it’s a great prog of course – even if I really like prototypes and hate this strict code business!M.

12. Regarding:Are there features in Flash MX (XML, video or whatever) that didn’t make it to the 2004 version (i e that you will have to buy the Professional version to get)?No. They took out a few things here or there… but everything that was in MX that made it to MX2004 or MX2004 Pro are in both. That is, MX2004 is definitely an upgrade (not downgrade) from MX. Pro just has lots of extras (project panel, data components, advanced ui components, media components, screens/forms, 3rd party FLV exporter, I think that’s it)

13. Richard T-J says:

Hey Kevin,The scrollbar is now incorporated into the “TextArea” component, and by default is only visible when required.Cheers,Richard

14. Richard T-J says:

DevNet Upgrade QuestionIf I own Studio MX, and already subscribe to DevNet Essentials, is there an upgrade path to DevNet Professional?

15. karen eliot says:

A whole lot of great perfectly good productivity tools have been lost between MX and both versions of MX2004. Very disappointing. In particular for me… whither Normal Mode in the Actions Panel?Look at:http://webforums.macromedia.com/flash/messageview.cfm?catid=194&threadid=689264http://webforums.macromedia.com/flash/messageview.cfm?catid=194&threadid=687369and sdly quite a few other threads on the MM forums

16. David Sharpe says:

FLASH MX 2004 Pro – List Component – cellRenderer InterfaceI am looking to use the List Component in Flash MX 2004 Pro. I want to use a custom cell for the list. I know how to add the new cell component to the list, but do not know how to get the data to populaate the custom cell component. The documentation refers to the cellRenderer Interface, but their is not any information under this section. Basically, I just need the data to populate the movieclip I am using for the cell.David

17. michael voigt says:

as regard to this >>2. This new preloader API / MovieClipLoader Class – it seems to me (I’ve only glanced so far..) that it’s not a help with preloader the initial swf – is this right? As in – there is no way to show progress etc with the new loader api for the _level0 movie? Also – the components are again either export in frame 1 or not at all – so does this mean yet again we are stuck throwing components all over the off-stage area so as not to have 100k in the first frame before any progress indicator has the chance to start working? Pretty dissapointing if thats the case – figured Moocks petition may have had some effect…All everyone wanted was a nice, efficient, clean way to preload the swf itself without the hassle we all have grown used to – and not worry about that 50k in the first frame blowing a load bar out the water!Did Michael ever answer this ? this is a huge problem with AS 2.0 !! I’m dealing with it right now.