Central Standalone Debug Panel for Windows

I have created a simple shell that allows the Central Debug panel to run outside of the Flash IDE. Among other things, it allows you to set the panel to always be on top, which makes it easy to watch trace information from Central.

Requirements:

• Windows
  • .NET Framework
  • Flash Player 6 or higher ActiveX control

You can download the installer from here.

Note, this is something that I did in my own time, and is not supported by Macromedia. Use at your own risk.

FYI, I plan to make a Mac OSX version in the next couple of weeks.

If you have any comments, suggestions or problems, post them in the comments.

8 Responses to Central Standalone Debug Panel for Windows

1. Rostik says:

There are only one issue I have found: to display debug information, standalone debug panel must be run after the Central. Before realize this, i thought my app is not working or something else is wrong.The non-standalone Window > Other Panels > Central Debug Panel behaves the same way. It must be opened after the Central is launched to work properly.If i missed something and this issue is described in docs please excuse me :)And generally, both panels work fine, “always on top” in standalone version is useful, of course 🙂 Thank you for your hard job.

2. devin says:

aaah, thx Rostik… I’ve been spending a couple of hours trying to figure out why my tracing wasn’t working in the debug panel 🙂

3. Very interesting comments

4. lc says:

Finally an explanation and a solution!

5. tanenbaumm says:

The failure of the Central Debug Panel to trace was driving me batty. Thanks for the solution.I still don’t get proper object traces (at least not the way they’re described in the documentation), but at least that’s one issue out of my way. Thanks!

6. mike chambers says:

If I recall correctly, it can’t parse custom classes, or rather you cant send the custom classes over local connection (which the trace panel uses).mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

7. HvF says:

Even though I have moved along quite a bit from the ‘My First App’ stage in developing an app for Central, the ‘debug panel debacle’ caught me out last night and frustrated me silly. The forum, Mike’s debug panel and the above comments provide enough solution for the moment, but the curious thing is that some people say that ‘Debug Panel’ should be started before central and others say vice-versa. Basically, whichever state you’re in, you should do the opposite… worked for me!!!

8. Attila Forgacs says:

Hmmm, do you also plan to release win-panels source too ? You released ’em for OSX. Can’t wait to get my hands on the cs source