Flash 2004 / AS 2 WebService Example App

I put together a little Flash app this weekend that shows how to use the web services API, the v2 components and ActionScript 2.0. It uses a beta of the MXNA web service API that we are working on. We are tweaking the server side performance on the web services, so they are a little slow right now.

Anyways, here is the app:

I will post the code once I finish up the MXNA WebService library. I will also try and post code snippets showing how I did certain things.Post questions, suggestions and any bugs in the comments.

23 Responses to Flash 2004 / AS 2 WebService Example App

1. Dan Cornish says:

Please also post the code integrating this into the page. I think that the integration of these kinds of Flash based tools into html pages is really a big thing.

2. Alan says:

And I bet your using CF, ugh!!! Im integrating the Dev feed using .NET, but thats sweet mike. Good job! Cant wait to de-construct….A

3. Josh Dura says:

GREAT job Mike. Works perfectly, and its fairly simple and useable. I just love those stars 🙂

4. That’s a great app Mike. Is there a publicly available UI component that you used to frame the entire app in the halo style?

5. mike chambers says:

>Is there a publicly available UI component that you used to frame the entire app in the halo styleyes. That is the window components included with Flash MX 2004. I just use it as a background.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

6. DannyZ says:

Good to see these things are possible outside of the “Central” toybox.Good Job.Looing at the other posts here:We’d all love to see a zip archive with example code for this ap, the backend, and example of how to implement on a web page on production level server.for example: crossdomain and proxy issues revealed… especially good time since EOLAS and new player security has changed again.Keep up the good work.Also would love to see

7. Mike: re using Window component as background — duh! I should have guessed. Your app is great. Thanks for the info.

8. Hans Omli says:

Still planning to post the code? 🙂

9. mike chambers says:

Yep. It will be posted on DevNet with a short article.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

10. rJaeger says:

I downloaded the MXNA Web Service Application from DevNet and it works great. (http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/articles/mxna_sample.html) As I started learning webservices with flash, I was using the devel kits, wizards, and such to make all of my connections to the webservices in flash. This application uses all actionScript to get the job done. I was wondering (Chambers) if the whole MXNA application could be done using the wizards/connection kits as well? I really do appreciate the use of actionScript to get the job done, but in my learning efforts it’s a bit easier to graps the concepts with the wizards. So……could the whole MXNA application have been done using the wizards???Thanks. (love the application!)

11. mike chambers says:

Yes. It could be created using just the DatBinding components. However, you would have to connect to the web service manually, and could not use the MXNA ActionScript library that encapsulates the web service.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

12. As anti-flash, as I normally am, even I have to drool over this app, it is very sweet!Drooollling….

13. none gigi says:

This example is pretty good,but it doesn’t explain the connection of WSDL very well.Would you please explain the problem in more detail for me?thank you!

14. adam says:

Maybe I am completely losing my marbles, but Im not sure why I am unable to get this app to run. I recieve the following error when compiling…..any suggestions??The class ‘com.macromedia.mxna.MXNAWebService’ could not be loaded.private var ws:MXNAWebService;The class ‘com.macromedia.mxna.MXNAWebService’ could not be loaded.ws = new MXNAWebService();Please excuse me if this is an obvious fix, maybe Im having a “brain-fart”.Anyway, great app, love what you guys do.

15. adam says:

Ooops! yea, it was a brain-fart, the MXNAWebServices.as file seems to not be in the mxna folder, or it is pointing in the wrong library, have I done something wrong or have I merely misread (or not read) something…… thanks guys

16. adam says:

Gosh, Im sorry Mike, dont mean to spam like this, but I solved the problem, I didnt install your .mxp file, which places the MXNAWebServices.as file where it needs to be. So in conclusion folks, dont try to do extra work after a long day at the office, it only leads to situations like this.

17. Bracnoria says:

Good job Mike, is a perfect example.

18. Hmm, now that was an interesting post! thanks for sharing. Well, I wish you good luck with your site and keep up the good work!

19. Ahmad Azimi says:

HI Mike!It’s very nice and exiting!

20. I just read this quote today and I think it’s awesome:It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.Charles BaudelaireJust thought I’d share.Mike

21. ByteDreams says:

I really hate spammers. this guy just messed up my focus!

22. Hi Dear Mike…That’s really great… Congrats…Good Luck

23. Hi Mike,I like the look of your new tool, and as the months go on I am going to be getting more heavily involved in developing similar appelets, but for now I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to web services, so I just a quick question if you don’t mind?I am trying to access a simple web service that searches through a list of names, but it is not on a public server, it is private. I am getting the domain settings popup from the flash player, and have added the address of the service to the trusted locations list, but every time I view the applet, I get the same warning. Are there other settings I need to consider regarding accessing private web services.Any light / tutorials / advice you can shed on this to make it easier for a newbie to get familiar with would be very much appreciated!RegardsJAmie