Running the SE|PY ActionScript editor on OS X

I have put together a step by step guide to getting the SE|PY ActionScript editor to run on OS X.

1. Make sure that you have python installed by running the following command in the terminal (omit the >):
    >python
    • If you get an error that it cannot be found go to http://www.python.org and download the source. Follow the directions from the site to compile and install it.

Make sure to follow the directions in Mac/OSX/README. This is required if you want to create apps created with Python (including SE|PY).

Here are the commands I used to compile Python from the source on OS X

>./configure –enable-framework
      >make
      >sudo make frameworkinstall

2. Download the source for the SE|PY editor:
    • Via the DevSource from the project page:
    • Via CVS with the following two commands (this will have the most up to date code):
      >cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/SE|PY login
      >cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/SE|PY co SciTE
  3. switch to the root directory for the source and try to run the program:
    >pythonw main.pyw
  4. If you get an error about the pyRXP library missing, then you need to install the library.
    1. download the source from:
    2. Switch to the root of the pyRXP library source and run
      >python setup.py build
    3. If you are using the default OSX install of python, you may get errors that it can’t find the python header files (if you built and isntalled python yourself you shouldnt get these errors).
      • open setup.py, and look for a line like this:

include_dirs=[RXPDIR],

i edited it to include the python header files directory:

include_dirs=[RXPDIR, “/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.0.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/python2.3/”],

4. run
      >python setup.py build.
    5. if you don’t get any errors, then run:
      >python setup.py install

The library should now be installed.

5. If you get an error that pythonw cannot be found:
    1. Check and see if /usr/local/bin/pythonw exists. If it does:
      • Add /usr/local/bin to your path, or call pythonw with the complete path /usr/local/bin/pythonw.
    2. If it is not there, you need to install the wxPython library.
      1. Goto http://www.wxpython.org and download and install the library. I suggest that you install the binaries as I was not able to get the source to compile.
  6. You can now try to run SE|PY by switching back to the directory with the source code and typing:

>pythonw main.pyw

You should now be able to load and run SE|PY. If you have any questions or problems post them in the comments. If you want to contribute to the development of SE|PY then you can join the development mailing list.

64 Responses to Running the SE|PY ActionScript editor on OS X

1. John says:

Thanks Mike for the step by step. Awesome.

2. tomas says:

I installed the latest python from python.org, but the command “pythonw” is not found, nor can I find any information on how to find, install or enable it.Thanks..

3. rafa3l says:

Hi mike, Thanks for your patience.I followed all your steps, but when I make the install I got a lot of warnings and finally the module don’t work. I think is the problem with the path “/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.0.sdk/System/Library/Framework s/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/python2.3/”, but this don’t exist in my computer. This is the more similar path in the sys.path of Python: ‘/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3’, but don’t work too.

4. mike chambers says:

run this command:locate Python.hThat should return the path to the file. Remove the Python.h from the path, and then try to use that.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

5. kawai says:

Thanks Mike!!I need this step 4.5: wxPython module install.http://wxpython.org/

6. mike chambers says:

Yes. I just realized that I left that out. You need to install the library from here:http://www.wxpython.org/I will update the step later on. Sorry for the hassle.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

7. rafa3l says:

Thanks Mike!!! I’m running SE|PY now. I hope learn more Python to collaborate.

8. Sean Voisen says:

Anyone know how to create an application bundle for Python? I think it would be pretty cool to make this into a “clickable” app just like any other mac os x app with a nice icon and what have you for the dock. I know how to do it for java, but I’m not entirely sure it can be done with Python …

9. Rich Rodecker says:

well, i pretty much got it running, excpe that on startup i get this error in the terminal:Error: Program Exception: exceptions.IOError, [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘Users/rich/Desktop/SEPY/data/showTips.alex’also, i get no syntax highlighting, no code folding, and no autocomplete menus.

10. mike chambers says:

Sean,I am pretty sure that this is possible. Download the source for Python from http://www.python.organd check out theMac/OSX/READMEfile. This seems to suggest you can make .app bundles for Python apps.Let me know if you find out any info.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

11. tomas says:

I got it running also (found pythonw in /usr/local/bin/) but if I try to change the font prefs, it crashes with a Segmentation fault.

12. mike chambers says:

FYI, I have updated the steps to be clearer, and to include installing the wxPython library.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

13. tomas says:

In the cvs commands in step two, you should use “sepy” instead of “SE|PY”

14. cognizen says:

Mike – thanks a ton. I have been waiting for a decent .as editor for some time. I have never used python before tonight, but your directions were clear and easy to follow.I can’t believe it, I finally have a decent editor for my mac!!!!! One question? Do I always have to start it from the command line? Is there a pkg in the works?Thankscognizen

15. mike chambers says:

>Do I always have to start it from the command line? Is there a pkg in the works?Right now you have to start it from the command line, although I think it is possible to bundle everything together as an app.If it is possible, then I imagine this will be done eventually, once the OS X version gets more stable.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

16. This editor looks promising (I love the code collapsing feature) but is totally unusable right now (sluggish and buggy).Just for the records, there is BBEdit plug-in for ActionScript to add code coloring.http://www.waxpraxis.org/downloads/bbedit_as.sit

17. aSH says:

Everything is fine. Just that I’ve found here http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#binaries this (for Jaguar):”wxPythonOSX needs a “Framework” build of Python 2.3, also known as MacPython-OSX. It will not work with the Python included with Jaguar. If you don’t already have MacPython-OSX then you can get one here:* Jack’s MacPython page: Be sure that you get the latest 2.3 build of MacPython-OSX.”Jack’s MacPython page: http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/Also, I’m havin a problem with the 4.5 step “if you don’t get any errors, then run: >python setup.py install”.Yep, python setup.py build is doing it’s job, but when I call python setup.py install I got:running installrunning buildrunning build_extskipping ‘pyRXP’ extension (up-to-date)skipping ‘pyRXPU’ extension (up-to-date)running install_libcopying build/lib.darwin-6.8-Power Macintosh-2.2/pyRXP.so -> /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packageserror: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/pyRXP.so: Permission deniedAny thought? What I’m missing?With panther everything is cool.

18. Another hint : you guys should take a look a jEdit. It’s Java but quite snappy. Has actionscript coloring.. and code collapsing, multi-views…. !http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/jedit/jedit42pre9.dmg

19. mike chambers says:

>Any thought? What I’m missing?Ash, try to run it as root like this:>sudo python setup.py installdoes that fix it?mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

20. mike chambers says:

> re : jeditYes. I have been using it for a while not, but as i said in my original post:http://www.markme.com/mesh/archives/004398.cfm“it is a little to slow and a little too Java for my liking”>re : bbeditnice editor, but I can’t do serious work editor that open each doc in its own window, verses having each doc in its own tab. Just a personal preference.When I need to do some quick editing though, I use SubEthaEdit.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

21. aSH says:

>>>sudo python setup.py install>>>does that fix it?not really… I mean, sudo launches the “installation” (no error), but when I call main.pyw I got:>import pyRXP>ImportError: No module named pyRXP

22. mike chambers says:

aSH,How did you install python on your machine? Was it already there? Did you build the source yourself?mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

23. mike chambers says:

aSH,I think i might see the problem. This is on Jaguar (10.2) right? I would suggest trying to build python from the source, and building it as a framework build according to the directions above.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

24. dan says:

has anybody succesfully got this running on Jaguar? Might just be good enough excuse for me to upgrade to 10.3 🙂

25. mike chambers says:

I have an iMac running jaguar. Ill see if I can get it running on there this afternoon.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

26. tomas says:

I have it running on Jaguar, but it’s pretty unstable (crashes with segmentation fault when I try to change the font prefs). I’m going to upgrade to Panter later this week and try again.

27. aSH says:

>>>[Mike] I think i might see the problem. This is on Jaguar (10.2) right?aSH: yep, is Jaguar. Haven’t had problems with panther.>>>[Mike] I would suggest trying to build python from the source, and building it as a framework build according to the directions above.aSH: I’m on it. Thank you Mike, much appreciated.

28. mike chambers says:

>crashes with segmentation fault when I try to change the font prefsactually, it will crash if you try to change any preferences.You can see a description of the bug here:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=897836&group_id=90749&atid=594689mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

29. tomas says:

> actually, it will crash if you try to change any preferenceOh.. it’s good to know it wasn’t just me. I bet there’s a place we could change the defaults pre-launch or pre-build somewhere in that mess of code, but I can’t find it.

30. Alessandro Crugnola says:

I think it’s better to completely rewrite the preference file ’cause it is confusing now…ayway for the font,size and colours you can change them from the data/style.properties file.

31. zoomfreddy says:

nice guide mike!!! runing ok on Panther here,but still need some work i guess, I can write new code, but not edit a saved file, also the esc codes don’t work…and the stuff Rich Rodecker said not working.

32. zoomfreddy says:

applescript to run SEPY without opening Terminal:do shell script “cd ‘/Applications/SEPY/’; pythonw main.pyw”copy & paste it on Applescript Editor, change the path to match the folder where you installed SEPY, save as “application” with “only execute” option checked.double click the app created and enjoy.(the applet remains open until you close SEPY app, then it quits.)

33. h1ro says:

so i have compiled all of the components from source and i am getting this error… am i just being stupid and forgetting something? any feedback most appreciatedpythonw main.pywTraceback (most recent call last):File “main.pyw”, line 1, in ?from SEPY import mainFile “/Users/h1ro/Desktop/SEPY-dev-1/SEPY.py”, line 6, in ?from wxPython.wx import *ImportError: No module named wxPython.wx

34. tomas says:

h1ro read step 5 part 2 in the original post.

35. Isaac Rivera says:

Ok, I am giving this a try myself… get this errors:~/Downloads/Copia di SEPY $ pythonw main.pywTraceback (most recent call last):File “main.pyw”, line 15, in ?from SEPY import mainFile “/Users/irivera/Downloads/Copia di SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 17, in ?from Editor import Editor # Main STC editorFile “/Users/irivera/Downloads/Copia di SEPY/Editor.py”, line 16, in ?import dbhashFile “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/dbhash.py”, line 5, in ?import bsddbFile “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/bsddb/__init__.py”, line 40, in ?import _bsddbImportError: No module named _bsddb~/Downloads/Copia di SEPY $ pythonPython 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11)Any ideas?Isaac Rivera

36. Ivan Ivanoff says:

i have this errorTraceback (most recent call last):File “main.pyw”, line 15, in ?from SEPY import mainFile “/Users/iivanoff/Desktop/Copia di SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 15, in ?from wxPython.wx import *File “//Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py”, line 20, in ?ImportError: No module named wxcAny Ideas?Ivan Ivanoff

37. Julien says:

Hi !Isaac, I get the same error as you do.Did you get an answer or a work around ?Help !!!!

38. Isaac Rivera says:

Alright, the current version runs in OSX (version 8a)b but it won’t save among many other crash-causing bugs.:-(However it looks hot!Can’t wait. Gonna be the best OSX AS2 editor out there.Isaac

39. Alessandro says:

actually i’m tryong to solve the save bug, but it seems that if you disable the “auto update function list” in the preference will stop crashes..

40. Isaac Rivera says:

Actually, the current version (10003a) does not even launch in OSX with this error:Traceback (most recent call last):File “/Applications/SEPY/main.pyw”, line 18, in ?from SEPY import mainFile “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 22, in ?from WindowsSnippets import Snippet # Snippets managerFile “/Applications/SEPY/WindowsSnippets.py”, line 16, in ?import wx.__version__ as wxVersionImportError: No module named __version__Isaac

41. Will says:

Note: I did install the wxPython for panther.. any ideas?I get this error:magnesium:~/Desktop/SEPY-1 datafirm$ pythonw main.pywTraceback (most recent call last):File “main.pyw”, line 18, in ?from SEPY import mainFile “/Users/datafirm/Desktop/SEPY-1/SEPY.py”, line 54, in ?from FileDropTarget import FileDropTargetFile “/Users/datafirm/Desktop/SEPY-1/FileDropTarget.py”, line 6, in ?class FileDropTarget(wx.FileDropTarget):NameError: name ‘wx’ is not defined

42. philip brands says:

I’ve been trying to get SE|PY every once in a while, but can’t seem to succeed.The funny thing is when running>>> import pyRXP>>> pyRXP.version’1.00′>>> pyRXP.RXPVersion’RXP 1.3.0 etc …’is ok, but not when running pythonw.It’s probably me as i’m 1st-time python user. Here’s some details on my config:> pythonwPython 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)]>>> help(modules)[will (among others) list:]wx (package)wxPython (package)xml (package)[… but nothing like ‘pyRXP’]I do have 2 pythonw instances:/usr/bin/pythonw/usr/bin/pythonw2.3Is that supposed to be?> pythonw main.pywstrands like this:Traceback (most recent call last):File “main.pyw”, line 19, in ?from SEPY import mainFile “/SEPY1.0.1.1/SEPY.py”, line 26, in ?from WindowCommandsApi import Commands_api # Flash apiFile “/SEPY1.0.1.1/WindowCommandsApi.py”, line 15, in ?from TagWrapper import TagWrapper, xml2doctreeFile “/SEPY1.0.1.1/TagWrapper.py”, line 13, in ?import pyRXPImportError: No module named pyRXPShould I just quit trying, or does anyone have a clue what my problem is.

43. Isaac Rivera says:

Version 1.0.0.1 on OSX Panther:Traceback (most recent call last):File “/Applications/SEPY/main.pyw”, line 21, in ?main()File “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 4054, in mainsock.connect((‘localhost’,1974))File “”, line 1, in connectsocket.error: (61, ‘Connection refused’)~ $ sudo sepyPassword:sudo: sepy: command not found

44. philip brands says:

there’s a newer wxPython out, maybe better make your pick (…-jaguar, …-panther, or …-src) from the wxpython package-list at sourceforge.net

45. Isaac Rivera says:

Hey thanks Phillip…upgraded to the newest version of wxPython. I don’t get the socket connection error anymore… instead I get this:Traceback (most recent call last):File “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 167, in Notifyframe = main_window(parent=None, id=wx.NewId(), title=About.title, dialog = self.dialog)File “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 266, in __init__self._createLeftPanel()File “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 396, in _createLeftPanelself._showSnippetsPanel(1)File “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 727, in _showSnippetsPanelself.notebook_l.SetPageImage(self.notebook_l.GetPageCount() – 1, 1)File “//Library/Python/2.3/wx/controls.py”, line 2114, in SetPageImagereturn _controls.BookCtrl_SetPageImage(*args, **kwargs)wx.core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion “wxAssertFailure” failed in ../src/mac/notebmac.cpp(322): invalid image index in SetPageImage()Have you gotten your SE|PY running? I just upgraded to version 1.0.1.1

46. philip brands says:

@ Isaac:same version, same eror 🙁

47. momo says:

@ Isaac && philipsame version & same error

48. abe says:

@momo && Isaac && philipsame version & same error

49. Isaac Rivera says:

Ok, I feel less singled out now… Are there any OSX users are having any success? Perhaps there is something in common in our systems… like what version of the Developer Tools are we all on? (I ran the XCode Tools updater 1.2)…

50. philip brands says:

xCode 1.2 (I updated somewhere in the process of trying to get SEPY running)I posted a support request (that ended up as a feature request) at:http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=955737&group_id=90749&atid=594692maybe y’all check that too

51. Isaac Rivera says:

Today I downloaded SEPY 1.0.2.0…Get a new error:~ $ sepyTraceback (most recent call last):File “/Applications/SEPY/main.pyw”, line 19, in ?from SEPY import mainFile “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 51, in ?from LocaleReader import LocaleReader # Locale reader filesFile “/Applications/SEPY/LocaleReader.py”, line 6, in ?from xml.dom.ext.reader import PyExpatImportError: No module named ext.readerSo I open python and do a:>>> import xml.domthen…>>> xml.domand I get the path to the package:# /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/xml/dom/So I go there on the finder and sure enough… there is no subpackage “ext”!!!Should there be one? And how is it supposed to get there?

52. Isaac Rivera says:

Update:rebuilt python 2.3.3 from the source (using sudo)rebuilt pyXML from the source (using sudo)and now I get the sepy launch window which correctly prints version number 1.0.2.0then I get a window with the error:Traceback (most recent call last):File “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 167, in Notifyframe = main_window(parent=None, id=wx.NewId(), title=About_title, dialog = self.dialog)File “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 267, in __init__self._createLeftPanel()File “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 397, in _createLeftPanelself._showSnippetsPanel(1)File “/Applications/SEPY/SEPY.py”, line 728, in _showSnippetsPanelself.notebook_l.SetPageImage(self.notebook_l.GetPageCount() – 1, 1)File “//Library/Python/2.3/wx/controls.py”, line 2114, in SetPageImagereturn _controls.BookCtrl_SetPageImage(*args, **kwargs)wx.core.PyAssertionError: C++ assertion “wxAssertFailure” failed in ../src/mac/notebmac.cpp(322): invalid image index in SetPageImage()which was the error I was getting before version 1.0.2.0Has any Panther successfully used sepy?

53. philip brands says:

There are some issues with python 2.3.3a and wx on Panther:http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/macpython-osx.htmlThere also are issues with pyXML on Apple’s python2.3 installation: forgot where i’ve seen that …So that leaves us Panther users in the middle somewhere … hanging until wxPython, pyXML are updated to fit Panther’s python2.3, or you’ll have to throw away everything (…?) and build all of sepy-required python etc. from source.I myself have just explored my whole system on ‘other pythons’ than Apple’s default:Seems (NOT SURE …!!!) the original Panther install is in:/System/Library/Frameworksand/usr/local/binThese are overruled by previous, Fink, or source-compiled installs that you will find in:/Library/Frameworksand/usr/binI returned to Apple’s default (I think …) and get the same XML-complaint … want to tried xml install … get the same old assertion error … but when I quote all lines in sepy.py beginning with:self.notebook_l.SetPageImagelike this#PB self.notebook_l.SetPageImageI still get errors, but the sepy starts up … be it leaving a very fragile application, loaded with buggy behaviour (like missing menu.preferences …) and it eventually will hang on most unexpected things … 🙁http://antenna-men.xs4all.nl/sepy1020-OSX1033.pdf

54. philip brands says:

ERRATUM to the above:Panther’s python is in ‘/System/Library’ and ‘/usr/bin’Jaguar’s Fink’s etc. in ‘/Library’ and ‘/usr/local/bin’

55. philip brands says:

*v1.0.2.0*still can’t get it running on Panther … :/ … I AM a supporter though (it’s great on WinXP): check out the new Dutch menus ;)meanwhile I checked out SubEthaEdit (v2.0) [ http://codingmonkeys.de ] … boy, is that cool … live multiple-user editing over ‘the’ (any) net!

56. ant says:

i get stuck at step 4 where i get this error on every ‘__init__.py” filespackage init file ‘./demos/__init__.py’ not found (or not a regular file)any help would be greatant

57. dai says:

[Macintosh:~/Documents/pyRXP] dai% python setup.py buildrunning buildrunning build_extbuilding ‘pyRXP’ extensiongcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DCHAR_SIZE=8 -Irxp -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.0.sdk/System/Library/Framework s/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/python2.3/ -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/include/python2.3 -c rxp/hash.c -o build/temp.darwin-7.4.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/rxp/hash.ounable to execute gcc: No such file or directoryerror: command ‘gcc’ failed with exit status 1what should i do for? gcc failed??

58. Jesse says:

Hi, Mike,I appreciate your instructions to help get this going. I have installed all of the latest versions per your steps as of 2004.09.10.However, like Isaac Rivera, I’ve received the following ImportError message:File “main.pyw”, line 19, in ?from SEPY import mainFile “/Users/jesse/Desktop/SEPY1.0.3.3/SEPY.py”, line 56, in ?from LocaleReader import LocaleReader # Locale reader filesFile “/Users/jesse/Desktop/SEPY1.0.3.3/LocaleReader.py”, line 6, in ?from xml.dom.ext.reader import PyExpatImportError: No module named ext.readerHave you been able figure out the issue?

59. i++ says:

There is an updated step-by-step instruction on http://www.sephiroth.it.worked for me. mac os x 10.3.5http://www.sephiroth.it/phpwiki/index.php/Step%20by%20step%20library%20installation

60. i++ says:

61. jay says:

I am receiving this error when Sepy opens.Error-psn_0_3145729 does not existit seems to run but I don’t know what problems this might cause. I haven’t found any comments of users experiencing this error message.I am on Mac Panther. Plenty of RAM.Any thoughts?j

62. joe says:

Mike.I just moved to mac so I know very little about the terminal and pyhton. I love SEPY for windows and I wanted to give it a try on mac but i get alot of errors. Is there a simple way to fix this? Also is there a way to check syntax with the MTSA?

63. joe says:

anyone?

64. sirius says:

I have everything installed now, but when I try: pythonw main.pyw, i get the following error:Traceback (most recent call last):File “main.pyw”, line 33, in ?from SEPY import mainFile “/Users/tenkai/SciTE/SEPY.py”, line 45, in ?from Editor import Editor # Main STC editorFile “/Users/tenkai/SciTE/Editor.py”, line 17@memoize^SyntaxError: invalid syntaxAny ideas?