Sneak Peak : Flash Resource Manager

I have been working on a new app in my free time over the past couple of weeks, and am getting close to finishing up the first version. I thought that I would post some screenshots, and give a sneak preview of it.

The application is basically a standalone Flash Help panel and resource finder. Here are some beta screenshots:

Reference Panel showing help, multiple tabs and livedoc context menu.
Search panel, showing search results and regular expression support.
Plugins search panel (you can add your own plugins) and preferences panel (showing theme tab).Btw, if you can think of a good / cool name, post it in the comments.More info soon…

31 Responses to Sneak Peak : Flash Resource Manager

1. GriLLo says:

a cool name -> at last:)

2. seth says:

looks cool and clean looking.looks like you have a javascript error in the bottom left all the time though 🙂

3. Sean Voisen says:

Flash Uberhelp. Very cool – looking forward to the first release.

4. mike chambers says:

>looks like you have a javascript error in the bottom left all the time though :)Actually, one of the XML help files from a third party component is not well formed, and thus cant be parsed. That is just letting me know about it.There is an error log panel that you can open to get more info.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

5. erikbianchi says:

cool, no more vanishing help windows!Hey is that a window pinner i see in the top right?

6. Very nice. What’s wrong with “Flash Resource Manager”? I think is very straightforward, and doesn’t sound bad at all.

7. Todd says:

I hereby dub the app.. FELP!

8. Jon B says:

Looks good, what is it ‘programmed in’? I have been meaning to try to look into application development just because there aren’t ever the apps I need.The main app I want is basically the code editor out of Dreamweaver, but just the code editor. So I was thinking I’d build a small app that utilised the script definition and syntax colouring files from Dreamweaver since that what I like and basically then be able to avoid firing up Dreamweaver for minor code changes (even with the update Dreamweaver is still pretty hefty)Don’t spose you’s fancy making it for me would you lol – or know anyone that would?Do you reckon it would be breach of copyright to develop a program that use the syntax definition xml files from Dreamweaver if it didn’t copy the files, merely used from within the Dreamweaver directory?Sorry to slide off-topic here lol,Jon

9. mike chambers says:

>Hey is that a window pinner i see in the top right?No, that is added by a tool that i use for dual monitor support. However, there is anAlways on Topoption.Is that what you are looking for?mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

10. Ivo D. Silva says:

>> Looks good, what is it ‘programmed in’? I have been meaning to try to look into application development just because there aren’t ever the apps I need.Just guessing but probably C#. t’s a good programming language ( at last something quite good coming from redmond )

11. mike chambers says:

It is written in C#, which is nice if you don’t mind your users having to download a 23(!) meg runtime.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

12. Josh Dura says:

>> if you don’t mind your users having to download a 23(!) meg runtime.thank goodness for the Flash Player size :)oh yeah, those icons are SWEET! haha

13. Nik Khilnani says:

very impressive… nice job i must say…wondering about how u planning to deploy it (new features, plugins, bug fixes etc), since it is pretty feature rich looks like you would update it. are you building an autoupdate or autocheck for update feature? that would be reall nice to auto check for updates and new plugins. you can prvide the new plugin update without hosting the plugin ureself…again, i like the looks of it… drop me a line if you want to discuss any of the autoupdate stuff i mentioned.nik

14. bprc says:

Very cool Mike.Where do we sign up for beta test? Or if you’re past that, where do we pay? :Dbprc

15. Danger says:

Name: “help me”

16. Cool! I don’t suppose there is a Mac version in the works?*crosses fingers*

17. jeanphilippe says:

I hope me too ! 🙂

18. Fernando says:

Sweet app 🙂 I love its look!

19. pete says:

a name ?How about FlaP ?

20. Jon B says:

FELP? FlaP? deary me….Why not jut call it ‘Flash Resource Manager’, oh I see you already have.Could call it ‘Flash RM’ for short, or ‘Flarm’, or ‘FiRM’ lol. Seriously only pick a good name, I hate silly named apps lol.

21. Pranav says:

Thanks Mike,I guess this must be one of the most popular wishes in Macromedia wishlist.do u have a release date in mind? cant wait to use it…. thanks again.

22. Arul says:

hi Mike,Looks great! very useful as well.Waiting for its release :)Does it support reference XML (flash mx style)?It will be great if it supports thatRegards,Arul

23. Isaac Rivera says:

Second the Mac Version motion. I though Mike’s switch to OS X would bring some balance to the uneven equation.Looks very good.Isaac

24. Nik Khilnani says:

one question. will this be linked to on macromedia’s website in a tools section for flash. (like the easy to find flex tooling section right from the product page without dig into the dev center)looks like a lot of tools are being made by the community and ppl from macromedia and people who use flash but do not read blogs on a daily basis will find it difficult to find these tools….nik

25. Stephen Tallent says:

Excellent work, Mike.How about HelpChamber or ResourceChamber or something along those lines?An OS X version would be nice. If you did this in C# then Mono soon will allow it to work. I have been using Mono a good bit on OS X and it is getting very close to reality.-stephen

26. erikbianchi says:

“Always on Top”yup that’s it. cool!

27. chall3ng3r says:

nice job mike,i was begging mm to put help ref in tabed doc in flash ide, but you made somethin similar i was looking for.its good,name = MMF Referencename = Flash Reference Libraryname = Flash Help Libraryname = Flash Help Externalname = Flash Libraryfor now i can suggest these names, may be you like one from them….// chall3ng3r //

28. wow 😉 very good Mike!

29. Aaron says:

dont want to be greedy, but is there any hope of a mac version?:)

30. Mike didn’t post it, but this baby is damn fast…..loads in a wink of an eye! 🙂