TattleTale for MAC OS X Preview / Beta

Christian Cantrell and I have been working on a mini project for making it easier to keep up with the latest news and information from Macromedia. The name of the application is called TattleTale, and we are releasing the OS X version for beta / preview today.

What is TattleTale? TattleTale is a simple application that makes it easy to keep up with the latest news and information from Macromedia. Here is a screenshot of the OS X version:

You can view a desktop screenshot with TattleTale running here.This is a Mac only version, and has only been tested on OS X 10.3. We will release a Windows version very soon.You can download the preview / beta version of TattleTale for Mac OS X here.You can set TattleTale to automatically start on OS X by adding it to System Preferences > Accounts > ACCOUNTNAME > Startup Items Tab.This application is not affiliated with, nor endorsed or supported by Macromedia. Use at your own risk.If you run into any issues or have any suggestions, then please post them in the comments.

14 Responses to TattleTale for MAC OS X Preview / Beta

1. ericd says:

TattleTale is awesome.

2. Bryan Rice says:

Hi guys,Just for the record, I can not get this running on 10.2.8. It starts up but then closes.No big deal since you mention it was only tested on 10.3, but I just thought you should know.I’ll have to install it on my other machine that *is* running Panther.blue skies,bryan

3. mike chambers says:

>Just for the record, I can not get this running on 10.2.8. It starts up but then closes.Thanks for confirming.I am using NSStatusBar / Item in Cocoahttp://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/ObjC_classic/Classes/NSStatusBar.htmlwhich i am pretty sure is 10.3 only (before that you had to use some undocumented API).mike chambers

4. since1968 says:

Nice work guys. Do you plan to share the source?Quirks:- the first time I launched TattleTale, the authors’ names showed up in angle brackets next to each entry. When I quit and relaunched, the authors’ names appeared in a tooltip, consistent with your screenshot. OS X 10.3.5.- selecting “about tattletale” doesn’t do anythingWish-list:- change text or color of icon after viewing an entry

5. mike chambers says:

>- the first time I launched TattleTale, the authors’ names showed up in angle brackets next to each entry.Yes. I believe this is the default behaviour. Did you change any of the preferences?- selecting “about tattletale” doesn’t do anythingCan you see if it opened behind another window? This is a known issue, which I have been trying to track down for a while.- change text or color of icon after viewing an entryYes. Good suggestions. Right now, I really wanted to keep memory / resource usage low, so I dont keep any information about the entries state.However, I am thinking about changing this to add features such as what you suggested.Thanks for the input…mike chambers

6. mike chambers says:

>How does one go about recommending a blog (and what are the requirements)?Well, it only covers Macromedia feeds (from Macromedia), so if we missed one, lets us know.>any idea when we can expect the windows version?Hopefully tomorrow.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

7. since1968 says:

Mike: I viewed the preferences, but I didn’t change any of them (at least not to my knowledge). The tooltip as default would be really nice.Re about window: You’re right, it did open behind other windows.Again, nice work.

8. zfreddy says:

Nice app, and the icon…great!!!Any chance to see the source?

9. Noice, very noice Mike, but you forgot Mr Forta 😉

10. John Dwight says:

Terrific! It works fine in OS X.3.4

11. tony weeg says:

windows version, maybe?

12. Very cool – nice work guys!

13. Todd Dominey says:

Very cool. Thanks. 🙂

14. Matthew Ogle says:

Fantastic – I’m a Mac-head transitioning to ColdFusion/Flex and this really helps ease the pain. Great stuff!(Love the DesignChapel.com desktop in your screenshot…heheh, I was using that one for awhile too!)