Macromedia, Eclipse and the Flash Platform

I will post more on this in the morning, but I wanted to get a quick post up before I go to bed.

First, we just announced that we have joined the Eclipse foundation and are working on an Eclipse based IDE for creating rich internet applications (code-named Zorn).

Second, we have launched a new section of our website focused on the Flash Platform. Tons of info here. For starters, make sure to check out the Flash Platform white paper written by Kevin Lynch.

You can visit the Flash Platform center here.

18 Responses to Macromedia, Eclipse and the Flash Platform

1. iS says:

That’s excellent news!

2. Kim Hansen says:

Completely astonished with this news!!!Will Zorn be free and open-source?

3. John Giotta says:

I’m sensing not free.

4. Chris Davis says:

Eclipse became my second best friend when I entered the world of Java. The ability to customize the IDE and manage source is phenomenal. We might see more Java developers getting interested in the Flash platform due to the familiar symantecs of ActionScript (to a degree) and now a familiar development platform.on a side note – I am extremely pleased to see that Maelstrom will support file upload!! I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve encountered the need for this functionality and had to resort to a popup window with an html form with a hidden swf which talks back to the main app via LocalConnection.as i like to say – hells yeah!one other question – is the code name Zorn a reference to the musician John Zorn?

5. mike chambers says:

>one other question – is the code name Zorn a reference to the musician John Zorn?yes.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

6. Andrew says:

So, from what I can gather. The “FLASH PLATFORM” is very little except a consolidation of your flash based products under an new brand name. It’s more a marketing announcement rather than anything of substance isn’t it?

7. Chris Davis says:

from my experience and that of my comrades, people working on the business/accounts side still do not fully understand the full set of Flash’s capabilities.Consolidating this information under a slick name and pumping out the PR will help generate buzz, and hopefully educate people on what Flash is all about. I’m not complaining – maybe it’ll help roll in more $$$ translating for larger budgets for interactive allowing us to push the envelope further.

8. mike chambers says:

Actually, we did announce something new, which is that we are joining the Eclipse foundation to procude a next generation tool (based on Eclipse) for developing rich internet applications.This fill a substantial hole in our ecosystem.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

9. Andy B says:

I noticed that the press release included a mention that the Flex Builder tool would be discountinued some time in 2006 when the Eclipse plugin is released.This is good news for the consolidation of IDEs and tools as long as the Eclipse tool will continue the Flex Builder’s ‘visualness’ and debugging integration.Hopefully you will be adopting some testing features as well?

10. Nice says:

Ther nice thing is that this will run on Linux. Cutting expenses for businesses. No OSX or Windows to buy for those x86-64 boxes.

11. Best news I’ve heard today. I’ll follow this one closely, and I’d be interested in being a beta tester for this. Also Kevin’s white paper was excellent, and the first official acknowledgement since the merger that Central still has a place in the Macromedia vision. (There has been plenty of doubt about this amongst developers).

12. Bob says:

Andy, where does it say anywhere that this will run on Linux? Just because it is based on Eclipse, doesn’t mean it will be open source, or even cross-platform. I’ll celebrate when I see something other than a press release.

13. jgervin says:

First let me say I am dedicated to Macromedia and its products.But, this flash platform marketing gimmick takes more away from Macromedia than it gives. I also recall some other campaign such as this six months ago or so with Contribute, some sort of html updating solution. Not sure where that went?I am also in marketing and certified in new product development so I know generating buzz is great, but as a devoted Macromedia product user I always considered Macromedia a company with substance and these no substance marketing schemes delude that image. If this is foreshadowing into the next release of flash or the flash player its probably best to wait until you release the actual new product. I was more disappointed than excited with the announcement.Maybe have your marketing team check into PDMA.Can’t wait for Maelstrom to drop!

14. mike chambers says:

>But, this flash platform marketing gimmick takes more away from Macromedia than it gives.What gimmick?We are finally talking about the entire Flash Platform as a whole, and not just talking about its individual parts.So what is the gimmick? Why would this not be useful to everyone doing flash work today, and informative for anyone considering deploying to the Flash Platform in the future?mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

15. jgervin says:

Lets all be honest with ourselves. It is sprucing up the package and placing back into the market. I am guessing for two reasons: first to launch something new and stay in the media, since I am guessing new software releases have been delayed due to the merger. Secondly, and I am hoping its that flex builder and flash mx will be combined. I just think you should wait until you launch the new product in order to give the platform some backing and so you don’t signal to the competition your future direction.Then again thats why you have the title and I am just a user. My apologies.

16. Mike Manh says:

I disagree with the naysayers. When AS2 came out, I thought the first thing to happen was an eclipse plugin. I got used to (and dependent on) Eclipse when i was using java, and it seemed that the syntactical difference with AS2 was minimal. I asked everyone if they knew of such a project and there were murmurs and now it’s my main dev environment for AS2.To me, it makes perfect sense. M$ saw java coming and managed to make it confusing by creating their own, slightly different version of it. Companies didn’t trust java, and the support was not really cross platform, therefore killing its main benefit. Microsoft did NOT see flash as a similar threat til too late (mainly because it changed from being an animation tool to a development one), and now it’s the de facto standard for web application front ends. Flash has more distribution and support than java, and comes standard with windows and OSX and can be used on linux. Flash is actually a better platform than java in many senses.Macromedia makes authoring environments and guides the direction of this platform that has evolved under their care, but it’s not their core competency to make IDE’s. That’s why most flash coders I know use Primalscript, Jedit, Sepy, or Eclipse. Eclipse is the standard for delevopers favorite IDE’s and that has largely been due to the amount of programmer time put into it as an open source. There are plugins for several different versioning systems and for any other development tool you can think of, like ANT. It makes no sense for macromedia to distract itself by building a text editor and source control plugins, those have already been built for Eclipse.The final thing is that Flash will be used with other platforms and languages, whether it’s Python and Zope, html and javascript, ASP and IIS, PHP and Apache. There are support for all of these in Eclipse, and a developer won’t have to change their IDE to work with whatever application they combine with Flash. My designers will then have things like better tools to create animations, and I will have better tools to code them.

17. Ok, I had thought this was great news, and Kevin Lynch’s paper was insightful. I’ve even linked to it from my web site. But now I’ve just read the official press release for the Flash Platform.No mention of ‘Central’. Mike, what’s going on with Central? Why has it disappeared from the Macromedia vocabulary? Over the past few months, many developers have asked the same question. They haven’t got any answers. Many have abandoned Central due to the lack of guidance, and poor developer relations.I know that Central 1.x is a developer release. I assumed its purpose was to focus the enthusiasm of developers to create a plethora of applications to be released with Central 2.0.If this was its purpose then Central is now failing.Why haven’t Yahoo and AOL used Central to implement their own popular email and online services? Aren’t you embarrassed that your alliance partners don’t endorse RIAs written in Flash, and continue to provide ajax implemented services?Even those who say that Central is dead can’t deny that it is/was a brilliant idea. Offline caching and financial return model for developers. If Macromedia killed off Central, they’d only have to invent it again. Central holds such a valuable position in the Flash Platform jigsaw – so why is it not mentioned?It also has an important part to play with Mobile applications. Yes that’s right – Mobile. Haven’t you realised? It’s not mobile phones that are important, it’s the mobility of the user and their information. Sometimes the user will be sitting at a console, and it will be much more convenient for them to pull up a full-screen view of their information, rather than the mobile phone view that they’d use while they’re on the move.Despite Macromedia’s failure to market Central, even to developers. The ‘Central underground’ has done quite well. Over 60 applications (not all on the app-finder, but they’re out there). Some potential killer applications with a bright future, if only Macromedia would let them out of the bag, and push them to a wider audience. Some Central developers are now looking at expanding into ubiquitous services. Access anywhere. Mobile – Console. I’m also still getting enquiries from clients wanting to make new Central applications. Some of them are BIG clients.Why has Macromedia lost its way with Central? Is there a danger that one day developers who run with Flex/Zorn will also suddenly find that Macromedia has lost interest in them?http://e2easy.com/wishlist.html

18. ouifm says: