Announcing Macromedia Labs

Just a quick note before I head off to MAX, but as I am sure everyone has seen, we just launched Macromedia Labs.

Basically, labs allows ANYONE to get access to early builds and information of technology we are working on. Labs launches with downloads and information for the following Alpha technologies:

• Flash Player 8.5
  • Flex Builder 2.0
  • Flex Framework 2.0

Yes. That is correct. You can download and play with everything right now! Just remember, that this is alpha quality code. Not all features have been implemented, and you will almost certainly run into issues and bugs.

Labs also includes a wiki that contains tons of info, FAQs, tutorials, examples and other resources. The content on the wiki may not be as polished as content in the docs, or on other sections of the site, but we felt the advantages of getting the info out faster would out weight it not being as polished.

Note that right now the wiki cannot be edited by the public, but we will be opening up (in the next day or two) some of the pages for general editing (most likely starting with the FAQs). The plan is to slowly open up more and more pages over the next couple of weeks. Ill post more on the wiki later.

You can download all of the alphas, as well as visit labs here.

You can visit the wiki here.

9 Responses to Announcing Macromedia Labs

1. Lola Lee says:

Just a quick question . . . is there a separate download of Flash Player 8.5 for us OSX users without access to VirtualPC or a functional WINE emulator?

2. mike chambers says:

Yes. Download the Flex Builder plugin for eclipse. It is a zip file and has the mac player installer.mike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

3. Christian says:

Interesting and very smart from MM.

4. Kent says:

It’s probably worth noting that the Flash Player 8.5 alpha is the only download available for OSX…Nothing I’ve seen so far mentions that, you don’t findout until you get to the download page.

5. bryan says:

Can the Flash 8 IDE compile ActionScript 3? If not, how can Mac developers test AS3?Also, why did EVAL() get [url=http://www.macromedia.com/go/AS2toAS3]taken away[/url] in AS3? I have a special love for it, and it breaks my heart to see it removed especially when it wasn’t deprecated?blue skies,bryan

6. Lola Lee says:

Thanks . . . I’d been looking at the first download link for the Flex Builder stand-alone install.

7. mike chambers says:

>Can the Flash 8 IDE compile ActionScript 3?Not yet. More info here:http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/articles/flex2_flash.htmlmike chambersmesh@macromedia.com

8. Jono says:

Congrats to the team at MM! – Flash 8.5 is so amazingly fast.The first test I did was to fill a whole screen with pixels using a simple loop and setPixel() – it rendered at 80 fps!!You guys have done an amazing job, I’m never going to need to program in another language again.

9. Richard says:

I personally find this versioning Actionscript pretty confusing and I see a lot of confusion in the forums already with 2.0, thinking they HAVE TO update their code or it’ll just stop working someday.I think a change in the naming or an announcement that 1.0 isn’t deprecated (assuming it’s not), might be in order.