Flex is Free

Flex is Free

Ok. I know that is a little annoying, but I keep seeing fundamental misunderstandings around Flex pricing.

So, just to clarify, the Flex 2 SDK, which includes the Framework, compiler, debugger, docs, etc… will cost nothing. Nada, zilch… You ill be able to build and deploy Flex 2 apps using the framework for absolutely no cost (commercial, non-commercial, semi-commercial, etc…).

Btw, we will also have a completely free version of Flex Data Services (more on that in a seperate post).

So, if you want to start playing with the Flex Framework, then you can head over to labs, and download the beta for (you guessed it) free.

13 Responses to Flex is Free

1. mike says:

Mike.. has the EULA for Flex 2 been posted anywhere yet, or who would we talk to for specifics on the limits of “FREE” and whether or not we need to get into some licensing fees.

2. mike chambers says:

hasn’t been posted yet (not sure if we have finalized it yet).However, again, the framework free. You can use it to develop, and deploy both commercial and non-commercial applications.mike chambersmesh@adobe.com

3. and at 64pt blinking pink text, i’m sure the msg shd be well received :P– eokyere

4. stacey says:

Finally a proper and good use of the seizure inducing blink tag 🙂

5. John Dowdell says:

… looks like that durn flashy stuff…. ;-)jd

6. Max says:

I cannot begin to describe how happy you just made me.

7. Jeremiah says:

It might be useful to also share what *isn’t* free.

8. jkozniewski says:

As I understand the only thingthat isn’t free is Flex Builder, right ?

9. Gareth Edwards says:

Free version of the Data Services? Now you’ve got my attention, when will you give us more info on this?We talking Free for Development only? or Production too? We talking Limited users? If so, how many users?I know you said more in a later post, but I’m impatient.CheersGareth.

10. Ryan Stewart says:

Hey Mike,Where are you hearing the misunderstanding? The blogsphere at large? MXNA? Emails? I’m curious to see which population isn’t seeing the press releases/blog posts/discussion about free Flex.

11. Wow… this will be really cool…. I haven’t found any other place where it says Flex 2.0 it’s going to be free…. I hope it’s true.

12. ellison says:

Mikewhich one should I down load each one that I use keeps expiring and then nothing works so I have to unistall and reinstall.el

13. Fabrizio says:

on the Adobe labs terms of use page (which you have to read before downloading Flex)IF THE SOFTWARE IS A PRE-RELEASE VERSION, then, notwithstanding anything to the contrary included within a license agreement accompanying the software, you are not permitted to use or otherwise rely on the software for any commercial or production purpose.