Apollo Pocketguide from O’Reilly now on Amazon

I just noticed that the book I have been working on along with Jeff Swartz and Rob Dixon just went up for pre-order on Amazon. The book title is:

Apollo for Adobe Flex Developers Pocket Guide: A Developer’s Reference for Apollo’s Alpha Release

The book covers the upcoming public alpha release (on labs) of Apollo, and is targeted at developers interested in developing Apollo applications using Flex. It basically focuses on getting readers over the hump of starting with Apollo development.

The book will also be available for download for free once Apollo is on labs, but if you like me and prefer to read this type of stuff in print, the you can pre-order the book today.Here is the Table of Contents:

1. Preface
  2. Introduction to Apollo
  3. Getting Started with Apollo Development
  4. Using the File I/O API
  5. Using HTML within Flex based Apollo Applications
  6. Apollo Mini Cookbook
  7. Appendix A : Apollo Packages and Classes
  8. Appendix B : Apollo Command Line Tools

Ill post some more information on this shortly (we are doing some cool stuff with it), including the cover once it is finalized.Also, if you are an HTML / JavaScript developer, don’t feel left out. We should have some announcements geared toward you in the next month or two.

14 Responses to Apollo Pocketguide from O’Reilly now on Amazon

1. Cool – I just ordered it. Estimated shipping date shows as March 30.

2. Phillip Kerman says:

I’d be interested in how this is different than the docs and the motivation for what it’s not the docs.

3. Chris Davis says:

Is the Apollo Pocketguide available as a “Rough Cut” through O’Reilly Safari Books Online?That would be really sweet if it was!thanks

4. tcs says:

So does this mean that the name will remain ‘Apollo’ for the public release?

5. mike chambers says:

>So does this mean that the name will remain ‘Apollo’ for the public release?No. Apollo is just a code name.mike chambersmesh@adobe.com

6. Miha says:

That’s pretty interesting and awesome that it will be available for free. Not that I’m so greedy, but the hassle of buying anything online is just too big for me, since I’m not even 18 yet. Apollo is a huge for me, because I’ve been limited to the projector (other tools are not very nice to work with and usually not cross-platform) for desktop applications, so I didn’t and couldn’t really do much. Apollo is perfect for me, because it won’t cost me to experiment with it and will enable me to build real cross-platform applications for the desktop really easily (which I assume it is, relative to other options :)). Sorry for making this long, but I just wanted to express how grateful I am and I’m sure this book will be a ton of help while making Apollo apps, which will bring a smile on my face while I’m going through tough times in school.Thanks 🙂

7. Savvas says:

Day by day Apollo becomes a reality..The code name is perfect for me 🙂 (i’m a Greek!)Is air the final extention or not?

8. Terry says:

By releasing this pocket guide still with the code name means that Adobe is expecting developers to experiment with it for a while before there is a final product release? Just wondering…BTW, we enjoyed having you up here in Alaska for a few hours! 🙂

9. Blueberry says:

I’m with Savvas, Apollo is a great name! It’s memorable and simple and easy to spell and original and blah blah blah. Please do try to stop marketing from stuffing it up with a lousy name (like “Central” was – for instance). Best of all, it has a bit of a metaphor in it, launching your apps out of the browser in to the big old universe.

10. JPP says:

Hi mike,we was waiting for a beta of apollo end to january.we are now almost end of febuary 🙂 “i think that u know lolllWhen do u think apollo will come and could we start development with it?regards and good job flex is a pleasure to work with.

11. JPP says:

12. Precia says:

A public publication for a product in the alpha stage; interesting and exciting. So how can I download the document so I don’t waste trees?

13. mike chambers says:

>I’m with Savvas, Apollo is a great name!Hehe… Yeah, I like Apollo too. Just remember that there are a lot of considerations when choosing a name, not all of them in our control. (for example, is it already in use, is it something that we could trademark, etc…)mike chambersmesh@adobe.com

14. mike chambers says:

>So how can I download the document so I don’t waste trees?We will post it on labs when it is avaliable.Keep an eye on http://www.adobe.com/go/apollo(Ill also blog it here).mike chambersmesh@adobe.com