While scanning through bugs and user comments on the RoboHelp documentation, we stopped at this one the other day. A seemingly innocent instruction like “Open the Table Of Contents pod.”, we found, had made a user very very angry. It seemed that the user had wasted hours trying to find out how to open the TOC pod.
I remembered reading a reviewer’s comment that new RoboHelp users find it difficult to locate the Table of Contents folder in the Project Manager pod, especially if they open a big legacy project and the Project Files folder is expanded.
When you locate the Table of Contents folder in the Project Manager pod, you can either expand it to access existing TOCs or right-click to select the New Table of Contents option. The TOC you open or create is displayed in the Table of Contents pod.
Yes, you can create multiple TOCs – for different audiences. For more information, see this Help topic.
Steps to autocreate a TOC
- In Project Manager, right-click the Table of Contents folder, and select New Table Of Contents.
- Specify a name for the TOC.
- (Optional) Select Copy Existing Table of Contents and browse for an existing TOC file (.hhc) to create the TOC from an available TOC.
- Click OK. RoboHelp opens the Table Of Contents pod.
- In the Table Of Contents pod, click the Auto-Create TOC button.
- Select an option in the Auto-Create TOC dialog box:
- Delete Current TOC Before Creating New – Removes books and pages before automatically creating the table of contents. If this option is deselected, existing books and pages are included in the table of contents.
- Create TOC Pages For Mid-Topic Links – Creates pages in the table of contents based on bookmarks. RoboHelp makes the topic that contains the bookmark into a book and all bookmarks into pages.
Remember that the table of contents is a hierarchy of the folders, topics, and any subfolders in Project Manager. In other words, if the Project Files folder structure is flat, the autocreated TOC will be flat too.
Before you start creating your first TOC, try this interactive demo. The demo shows how to create a TOC manually.