Cool Tips for Deploying Creative Suite 4 – SMS 2003/SCCM 2007

I would like to introduce a new segment on the blog, dedicated to the latest and greatest methods for deploying your Creative Suite software. Please look for future tips covering all aspects of deployment and updating.
My name is Chris Hohman and I have been a Product Manager with Adobe for the last 2.5yrs. Working on improvements to the enterprise deployment experience since I began, I am now fully indoctrinated into the land of OOBE. It was speaking with customers like you that inspired the creation of the Adobe Creative Suites 4 Deployment Toolkit (CSDT). Hey it is a start, and there will be more to come.
Let me also introduce the CSDT if you are not familiar with it. The CSDT is an efficient, easy-to-use, and reliable application that configures Adobe Creative Suite 4’s installers for silent deployment. It’s Adobe AIR-based (Adobe Integrated Runtime) interface allows you to create a remotely deployable install package without laboriously hand-editing configuration files. More information can be found at http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/openoptions/cs/deployment_toolkit.html
Setting up multiple distribution points using Microsoft SMS 2003 /SCCM 2007 and the Adobe CS4 Deployment Toolkit
On a recent customer visit, our team was able to address an issue relevant to many of you that set up multiple distribution points spanning across more than one server.
Here’s what you need to know:
Microsoft SMS/SCCM provides the ability to deploy from a common shared file. Here are the details straight from the MS website, “At installation, SMS assigns the distribution point role to the site server. You can create additional distribution points to reduce the load on the site server and provide access to all client computers in your site. If software distribution in your SMS system includes multiple sites, specify a distribution point in each site to ensure access by client computers and to distribute the load.”
“If you use the common SMS package shared folder on distribution points, when the first package is sent to a distribution point, the distribution point is given the share name \\computername\SMSPKGdriveletter$ on the NTFS drive that contains the most available space.”
The CSDT requires an absolute path to the source install location in the AdobeUberInstaller.XML and AdobeUberUninstaller.XML files and this causes problems with the share location.
Load distribution can be achieved by changing the UNC install location path of the UberInstaller to the local parent directory of each DP server.
This is accomplished as follows:
1. Use the CSDT to create a package normally.
2. Open the AdobeUberInstaller.xml in an editor and replace the UNC parameters with a “/.” to indicate that it needs to refer to the parent drive of the server. Please note that the usual value of the “InstallerLocation” parameter is taken from the same “Media Path” which you selected in the first screen of the CS Deployment Toolkit.
3. Repeat for the AdobeUberUninstaller.xml.
4. On the source server, place the full adobe installer including all payloads and extensions along with the two modified XML files and the two executables created by the CSDT.
5. Use this source location to set up the SMS/SCCM packages
6. Repeat this process across all servers used for load balancing
This process can help you set up SMS using the CSDT. It has worked for two customers and counting. If you know of an alternative way to accomplish this same task, please share.
Feedback is always appreciated.
Cheers until next time.
Chris
chohman@adobe.com

53 Responses to Cool Tips for Deploying Creative Suite 4 – SMS 2003/SCCM 2007

1. MR. Fix-IT says:

2. Çhris Hohman says:

Mr. Fix-IT wrote:” Why not use Microsoft best practise… So we don’t have to change every uberinstaller.XML file on every server!! in our case it’s 35 servers, and remember we have to do it every time there is an update to the files !!”
    Mr. Fixit, Can you elaborate? This proposal eliminates the need to change the XML file on every server. You create it once, and the copy to every server on your network. And using a common folder for distributing is an MS best practice. Thanks, Chris

3. MR. Fix-IT says:

@ step 6 you write that we have to repeat on every server used for load balancing. I haven’t tried to deploy CS4 yet because we have had some minor troubles regarding the deployment of cs3. I got a little scared because that When making the install package you have to type in a source directory, and that’s where I thought that when typing in the source smspkge$ folder on our main server it wanted to install from that server every time even when we have a number of sites with SCCM installed on them. Is it me that got this wrong in the first place?? when changing the unc path in this case “\\mainserver\sms\distribution\smspkge$” to if I read it right “./.” then it will read the source files from the individual server like our sub distributions points.

4. Çhris Hohman says:

Mr. Fix-IT
    Yes, by using this procedure you can create a common share on your network and the Uberinstaller will always look in the parent directory of whatever server you are on. This has worked well for a few customer to date. Thanks, Chris

5. nick says:

6. Çhris Hohman says:

Nick posted “Will we be seeing any guides like this in the future for Microsoft’s App-V system (formerly known as Softgrid)?”
    Hi Nick, Adobe does not officially support virtualization as a deployment method. Performance has been a big issue with our imaging and video applications. Do you currently run terminal services with any Adobe products? Thanks, Chris Hohman

7. xtg says:

eg: users downloading it over our intranet web, then run from their desktop. Putting it on an SMB share in some scenarios is not an option. The path is going to be along the lines of:
    c:\Docs&Settings\username\Desktop\CS4AppName\
    “username” could be anything. They might also download it to a temp directory or My Documents or something. It should really accept non-hardcoded paths.
    The reason this is a problem is that CS4 does not honor the old application.xml.overrides, otherwise I’d just whack in a single file which has the number in there. But as it is, I have to choose between either divulging the serial number to our users, or trying to hack up some way for AdobeUberInstaller.exe to find the install files. And at the moment, option #1 is winning, especially since UberInstaller.xml is just plain text and the serial is sitting right there.

8. Çhris Hohman says:

Reply to XTG “What are we supposed to do when InstallerLocation is relative? Does it support relative locations?”
    It sounds like you are asking for a pull scenario where you can post the installation package and then install across the network from that source to any given location? SMS should manage this as part of the deployment package. SMS can be set up as a user initiated installation.
    As you noted, the xml files are not encrypted. So if you do have to post the installation files for all clients to access, I would be explicit with your end users about terms of use. In the future, we do plan on encrypting these files, and or completely removing them from the installation process.
    Thanks, Chris Hohman

9. Nick Peelman says:

I would just like to add that I was able to Sequence CS4 into Microsoft’s Application Virtualization system and had it deployed out and usable for testing (which it has generated now complaints on so far) in less than a day. And it was made available across our 2400 lab machines and class computers with a simple permissions change. I normally loath both Adobe and Microsoft Products, but CS4 impressed me with this, and App-V really does a good job (most of the time, there are edge cases).

10. Çhris Hohman says:

To Nick Peelman,
    Thanks for the comments. I would be very interested in hearing more about how our products run in App-v and what method you used to sequence CS4. Thanks, Chris Hohman (chohman@adobe.com)

11. Marc says:

I just used “..” worked for me. Took me AGES for work it out. I’m using SMS 2003 SP3, running the .exe directly from the Distribution Point. Uninstall also works. Adobe still have some work to do with it’s CSDT. But it’s a start.

12. Jolyon Webster says:

Chris
    Thanks for that, but I have one other issue that is stopping it installing from SCCM.
    After installing a number of apps it then gets to the AdobeAIRInstaller.exe and prompts the user with a “Open File – Security Warning” asking the user to Run or Cancel. If I run the program without Allowing the users to interact with this program it will just hang and never complete the install.
    I know I can remove the Air and Media player from the install but I was hoping to keep them in.
    Have you come across this before?
    Jo

13. Chip says:

I’m chiming in late on this one with several responses. I was finally getting too much pressure to not deploy the CS4 products and had to attack them.
    App-V/SoftGrid – This is possible, but very tricky due to the FlexLM license stuff. During sequencing, you will need to have the flexlm service on the local machine and the xml in the virtual package. Then the service will work ok. Otherwise, the virtualized services will step on toes and all apps will crash. This was the case starting with CS3. The other problem you’ll run into is the file sizes. Since CS4’s product went on an eating binge, you won’t find an install less than a gig even for something as simple as Dreamweaver!
    In regards to teh relative path, i’m shocked and astounded that Adobe could take something so simple like Windows Installer and screw it up to what we see before us today.
    “AdobeUberInstaller”. Cute, funny at first, then you realize exactly how true it is.
    1) Why is there a need for almost 50,000 files? The extracted installation for Web Premium CS4 is over 47,000 files!
    2) Why does the path have to be absolute? Let’s leave SCCM out of hte picture for the moment and look at any organized organization. I maintain an internal software share for our administrators to access and do installations of software. We have the drive mapped as I:. The user’s don’t have this. I also have a relatively simple naming convention for things so all well and good. If you hard code the path, change the server name, rename a folder, it’s going to fail. And heaven forbid that the UberInstaller actually TELL you its failing. My dev server was one folder and I was testing it from another machine that wasn’t mapped to that exact same path and I’d double click and get nothing. It took me an hour or monitoring and looking to see what was failing until somewhere I found the log file in the user’s temp folder. It just says “installer does not exist at the specified path. Why not tell me what that path is in the log file? Why not pop a message? Oh wait, I know why it’s not popping, with the introduction of CS3 installations, the control that administrators have went to almost nil. It’s either non automated, or fully silent with very few options. I also support a number of field sites who have their own servers. They’re different names and are subject to change. I can’t have 20 applications suddenly no longer install because of a server name change. The installations that I provide to everyone are custom and automated and the first thought that comes to mind is to have my installer write the absolute path to the XML prior to kick off, but that only works if they have write access to the installation files which most folks don’t.
    3) While I’m on my roll, why can’t the installers uninstall the prior version? What makes Acrobat so special that only it is automatically upgraded? The amount of additional code I have to add to my installations to look for previous versions and then remove is crazy. I know that some folks might want both and that’s fine, but give me the option to remove prior versions!
    4) Go back to MSI that doesn’t get broken if I modify it. I make a change to the MSI tables that prevent the installation from being carried out unless a “secret decoder handshake” is presented on the command line in order to prevent unauthorized installs. Acrobat 9 breaks if I modify the MSI in this way.
    5) The bottom line is that I write these custom installations to a) ensure consistency, b) prevent unauthorized installs by requiring my install to be run which enforces corporate standards and generates emails upon completion c) prevent the need to disseminate serial numbers to anyone but my database and d) provide a method to deploy the application quickly and easily. CS3 went backwards about 5 years in my eyes on the installer. So much for progress!

14. Chip says:

I knew there would be more… Continuing on with my list of issues.
    5) Why does Adobe think that they’re so important to not bother to put the icons into a group? I don’t have a problem if there’s just 1 icon from an application install, but Flash CS4 loads up EIGHT icons onto the start menu that aren’t in a group. Oh, there is an Adobe group that’s created, but it only contains the Adobe Media Player icon.
    6) Has anyone else ever notices that an uninstall of a CS3 product takes longer than the install? I’ve seen uninstalls take 2 hours to complete.
    7) Speaking of uninstalls, why does the install pollute the registry under the Uninstall section? HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall . I just installed Flash CS4 and Add/Remove programs shows Adobe Air, Flash CS4, Flash Player 10 Active X, Flash Player 10 Plugin and Media Player. That in and of itself isn’t too bad, but have you ever looked under the hood into the registry? Try doing a query in SMS for software in add/remove programs and then you’ll see that while only 5 items show up, there are 35 (THIRTY FIVE) additional items in the add/remove. And this is just for flash! Why does “Adobe WinSoft Linguistics Plugin” need to be in add/remove at all, let alone a “SystemComponent” ?!?!?!

15. Frank says:

Chris,
    I have an other question for AdobeUberInstaller.exe.
    Does exist a command for a reapair function with the AdobeUberInstaller.exe?

16. Martin Byskov says:

Hi Chris
    After our telephone conference I know that you are the tech guru @ Adobe regarding deployment of CS4 through SCCM :) Problem: When installing more than one package and wanting to uninstall them again on your system using sccm we are having minor troubles uninstalling. It seems like the AdobeUberUninstaller starts and reads the uberuninstaller.xml from the distribution point when using “ ..\ “ file but it doesn’t uninstall the programs. The strangest thing is that when we install the package “design premium” or the full package “master collection” what to do? You can’t use msiexec.exe /x command, as the uninstaller wants to use the setup.exe on distribution point. But when using setup.exe I know that you can use different switches but that doesn’t seem to work either. Can you guys point me into the correct direction. As we are on a tight schedule regarding the deployment of CS 4… All packages of Adobe installs as they should but We can’t uninstall them again, unless doing it from add/remove programs with an admin account(No users are local admins)
    Best regards
    //Martin

17. Chris Hohman says:

Martin, Did you ever get this problem resolved? If no, please email me directly chohman@adobe.com.
    Thanks,
    Chris

18. John Louch says:

I use domain based DFS(\\domain.internal\install\) shares for all of our installs to eliminate problems with the path changes if a server is replaced. This way there is a consistant path across all of our sites. Using SMS you create the package and specify that it does not have any source files, and in the program you create for the package you just provide the path for the AdobUberInstaller or whatever software you have to deploy. I still have the problem with the AIR installation, it just hangs in the background until you kill the process. After that the install finished without a problem. I’ll be removing this from the package.
    I do agree that having a setup launch a million msi files, all creating entries in the Uninstall section, is fairly annoying and adds to a very leangthy install and uninstall process.
    In SMS I use a chained install approach as well. I create a batch file that cleans up the icons that get created all over the place and have a requirement that when this program is run it has to run the actuall install first. I advertise the cleanup batch file to all the clients, which will then install the product and then run the batch file to tidy up all the icons.
    My only other complaint is why Acrobat cannot be activated with all of the other billion installs that happens with the suite?

19. Ian says:

I haven’t had much luck deploying this with SCCM. It works if I manually run it but if I do SCCM, we only get a few components (bridge, etc) to show up. Looking at the installer log, its looping with “Checking bootstrapper progress”. Any tips?

20. Chris Hohman says:

Ian, we are posting some updated documentation with more details about this process. I will post the URL for these docs as soon as they are available. Chris

21. Brian Abernathy says:

There is another maddening issue with the CS4 installers – they use two different temp folder paths! In some places, they look for %TMP%, and in others, they want %TEMP%! If you have these pointing to different locations, you may get very strange results.

22. Jay says:

Ok, I figured out a reliable way to deploy CS4 using SCCM, bit different from the solution here. http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jconnor/archive/2009/10/01/deploying-adobe-cs4-via-sccm.aspx
    Comment there if you have any problems.

23. Bulk sms says:

thank you so much !
    i m just feeling lucky after reading this article,
    thats great ! I wish u all the Best!!!
    BULK SMS SERVICES

24. Mike says:

Really that was an helpful article for deploying the creative sms suite and sscm using adobe i was using systems management server for receive sms gateway from microsoft from last 2 years but didnt thinked about this thanks again for the information.

25. Craig says:

Does anyone know how to prevent CS4 from installing the Adobe Flash Player ActiveX and Plugin during installation? Reason I ask is because we have a later version already deployed to our workstations. When we load CS4 it drops down an older version which breaks our current version and the version installed with CS4. I’ve been trying to solve this problem since CS3. Anyone have any idea what configuration file I can edit to stop the Flash Player ActiveX and Plugin from being installed?
    Thanks
    Craig

26. Eric Wilde says:

Adobe Flash Pro CS4 requires that the Flash Player components are installed, so from the retail installer there is no way to prohibit installation. From the Enterprise Deployment Toolkit it should be possible to remove this payload and successfully deploy; but, there is no guarantee that the Flash Pro product will behave properly.
    That said, the Flash Player installer should actually check to see what version is on the system and not install if a newer version is already on the system. What you describe seems like a bug in the Flash Player installer. If you install the Flash Player installer through other means (i.e. download from adobe.com and install) do you have the same problem?
    It may be better for us to communicate via email since I don’t get notification when comments on this thread are posted.
    Thanks,
    –Eric
    ewilde@adobe.com

27. Thomas says:

Does this works for bulk sms systems

28. Eric Wilde says:

We generally work with SMS and SCCM, yes.

29. DavidO says:

My Adobe CS4 master collection installation just freezes at the point when it starts to install Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX … isn’t there really any way to disable the installer from doing that?

30. Eric Wilde says:

DavidO,
    Its hard to say exactly why the freeze is occurring. One thing you can do is ensure all your browsers (and any related background processes) are not executing when you run the installer. Also, you can remove Flash Pro from the install to see if that helps. Barring that, the best thing to do is contact customer care. If you run into a roadblock with customer care please send me a personal email and I’ll see if we can get a core engineer to take a look at your installation logs. (ewilde@adobe.com.)

31. This is such a great article. Thanks for sharing.

32. Rob Knowles says:

Can anyone advise about automating the CS3 uninstall as part of a CS4 deployment package? I want it to all go silently so that someone will just click a link and everything happens… I keep getting Exit Code 7 on the uninstaller, though, or else it leaves bits of CS3 behind that will update when Adobe Updater runs, and cause problems with CS4
    Specifically:
    Using the “Setup.exe” in the Adobe CS3 distribution folder, I am calling a file called “uninstall.xml”. I have modified this file extensively to try and remove all CS3 components and associated registry entries. A few gotchas exist. If one has run the Adobe Update and updates some of the CS3 components, the script will error out with code 7. If you dig into the logs in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers, it seems like the script is failing because it wants specific components that were updated to be re-downgraded, then re-run the script. I have not figured out a workaround, other than to go to add/remove programs, and manually remove “ExtendScript ToolKit 2” and “Adobe Common Color Settings.” Those 2 things will appear in add/remove programs if they were updated via the Adobe Updater. If they are not there, the script may run just fine the first time.
    One thing to note is that this script doesn’t (yet) address the removal of Acrobat 8. That shouldn’t have been part of the CS3 package, but we’ll want to find a way to script its removal too if possible.

33. Hi there.
    Great installation help…thanks, fixed my problem.
    Anyone reading this guys stuff should bookmark it.

34. Eric Wilde says:

Rob,
    Here’s a comment from the engineering team:
    From what I read there he is on the right track. I don’t know how extend script etc have done their updates for CS3 but it sounds like he should uninstall them first before running the script. Or if he can determine if they have been installed by looking to see if the folders that get created during an install of the upgrade Extend Script etc exist then run a silent uninstall for them. He should be able to find the \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\somelongalphanumeric folders that correspond to those installs. I don’t have time to dig into this but that would be my quick suggestion.
    Another place you might want to look is our cleaner scripts (which are available online, ping me if google doesn’t find them for you and I’ll look for the public spot for them). They do a lot of the type of cleanup you mentioned but in a brute force way.
    Lastly, Acrobat Pro generally uninstalls itself prior to installation. So I’m not sure you’ll need to remove Acrobat first.
    Hope this helps,
    –Eric

35. Well, you forced me into the impossible. You made me comment on a blog post. Kudos to you, swell work.

36. Craig says:

I see a post on this page from a year ago where Chris Hohman stated that Adobe does not officially support virtualization as a deployment method such as with Microsoft’s App-V system. Is this still a true statment and if so, are they considering this in the future?
    Thanks,
    Craig

37. Eric Wilde says:

Yes, that’s still a true statement.
    In many cases the applications will continue to mostly function properly; but, won’t be fully featured. For example, graphics accelerators may not be fully used. We don’t do a full raft of testing our products in any virtualized environment, which is why we state that they are officially not supported.

38. Todd Fogle says:

Thanks in Advance!
    Todd

39. Eric Wilde says:

Todd,
    We’ve had some team changes in this area since CS4 so I’m trying to track down an answer. The best I can say right now is you can also drop AdobeUberInstaller and invoke setup.exe directly, using a deployment.xml file to provide customization. We’ll try to find some time to experiment in the near future; but, as you can imagine with Monday’s announcement, we’re up to our ears in critical issues right now.

40. SH says:

Hi Nick,
    I would be very interested in hearing more about how you sequence CS4 in App-v and what method you used to sequence CS4. You email me directly (wong_sze_how@ite.edu.sg). Thanks in advance.

• Eric Welshons says:

I would also like to see anything you have on sequencing CS4 (or CS5) in App-V. Please either post or email me directly. Thanks for your time.

Eric

• Eric Wilde says:

Adobe Creative Suite doesn’t officially support App-V. We’ve not done any testing on the platform so I don’t know how it behaves. I suspect there may be licensing issues; but, haven’t tried it out yet to make sure.

I’ll relay your question to the appropriate folks internally.

41. Jan G. Laursen says:

Hi!
    I really can’t get this to work.
    My last try has been the command line version.
    I’m trying the following (it should be on a network drive later on, but for now I’m on my own hard drive):
    Setup.exe –mode=silent deploymentFile=”..\InDesignLocal\AdobeUberInstaller.xml”
    But I also keep getting exit code 7.
    Any ideas??
    /Jan

42. Eric Wilde says:

Jan,
    The silent deployment command line approach for CS5 was really a stop gap until AAMEE could be released. AAMEE for CS5 is now available here:
    If this is for CS4, then the silent deployment command line is still the right way to go.
    Either way, your best bet is to approach customer support. You’ll get a faster response that way. If that turns out to be a dead end for you please send me email at ewilde@adobe.com.

43. John says:

I’m going to blog about that…
    ______________
    John | Bubble letters

44. Jan G. Laursen says:

Eric, thank you for your respons.
    I have got the command line to work now.
    It didn’t work due to open client processes like Outlook, Firefox and IE.
    Can I, in the command line version, make it so that it checks for client processes and warn me, instead of just crashing with error 7?
    Either in the record proces or when I start the install?
    /Jan

45. Eric Wilde says:

Jan,
    Unfortunately there is no built in way to do this. What you can do is look at the list of conflicting processes for whatever it is you’re trying to install and have a script that closes them.
    I’ll send you privately the list of conflicting processes and for what product they conflict. It isn’t in a form readily publishable online; but, if the demand is high I can clean it up and post it.
    Thanks,
    –Eric

46. Scotty_E says:

Todd Says….. “This is all very helpful. Thanks! One question though… Is there any value I can plug into the InstallerLocation of AdobeUberInstaller.xml that will tell AdobeUberInstaller.exe that the install files for the software are in the same directory that AdobeUberInstaller.exe was launched from(whatever directory that may be)? It gets back to the relative path question, and the previous response to that issue didn’t contain any specifics about that particular question.
    Thanks in Advance!
    Todd”

Todd,

The best way to work out relative pathing, is to try it yourself from a windows command prompt. If you type “cd /.” (without the ” “) you will find that it will accept the command and change directory to the current directory i.e. relative path. If however you type “cd /..” (again without the ” “) you will notice that it goes up one level.

Therefore, if you place a a new folder in your Adobe CS share with the UberInstallers located in it, the “InstallerLocation” Path would be /..

Hope this helps everyone! I just spent a good hour or so figuring it out…

– S.

47. mark schulz says:

I am trying to install/teach myself how to push out the adobe 940 patch using SCCM. The problem I am encountering is I need to add a switch (under the add a program step).

Does anyone know where I am suppose to go to get this, “switch”?

-Mark

• Eric Wilde says:

Mark,

Here’s what I heard from the Acrobat engineers:

User problem Statement- The problem I am encountering is I need to add a switch (under the add a program step). Does anyone know where I am suppose to go to get this, “switch”?

From this statement it looks like user is getting a field called ‘Switch’ where he doesn’t know what to supply. But in ‘Add New Program’ Screen there is no field called ‘Switch’.</em

So it seems user is asking which command line switch he should use with the command. In the command line he may specify /qn or /qb as a switch. For Example – msiexec /p 94patch.msp /qb

If that doesn’t help you please email me directly and I can get you in touch with the engineer. ewilde@adobe.com

48. Angus Gibbins says:

For those complaining about updating the UberInstaller.xml file, it works with relative pathing, I’ve changed mine to just a forward slash (/) moved my deployment to a few different locations and it works fine.

Just wondering what’s Adobe’s best practise for installing latest updates?

49. dave says:

I’m wondering if it possible to use a single installation source to deploy multiple suites by combining the Payloads and Extensions for CS4 DesignSuitePrem, DesignSuiteStd, WebPrem, WebStd?
    I have tried merging all of the Payloads and Extensions and then creating the AdobeUberInstaller.exe and .xml files for the subset of each suite.
    Then I put those into a separate folder say \DesignPremium and use the technique described above using “..” for the InstallerSource which seems to work.
    The part that doesn’t work is that the install fails eventually but nothing to do with the relative path. Has anyone tried this approach or do I have to use the MasterCollection?

50. Arran says:

I’m having a problem after making the change to the location field in the xml file. I perform the install via adobeuberinstaller.exe or “adobe cs4\setup.exe” –mode=silent –deploymentFile=”adobe cs4\adobeuberinstaller.xml”. Either option only installs the default programs like adobe distiller, acrobat 9, media encoder, device central but none of the full applications like photoshop,dreamweaver etc.

I’ve spent way to many hours on this already….